Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46

Thread: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

  1. #1

    Default better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    who do you think will end up having the better season between these two

  2. #2

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    roy

    his game is farther along.

    this is based on one preseason game though. Paul looked more assertive than last year, but his game still looks the same. almost but not quite there.

  3. #3
    Gotta Play Big BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,420

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    Paul. He will arrive this year. The three G's are going to get some fame this year.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  5. #4

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    roy

    his game is farther along.

    this is based on one preseason game though. Paul looked more assertive than last year, but his game still looks the same. almost but not quite there.
    I disagree that paul's game looks the same. For one thing, he's made better passes in 40 minutes of pre season than I have ever seen him make. His handles look a lot better to me as well. He's not polished yet, but I think he'll make a big jump scoring wise over the next two seasons.

    When I played basketball I had the same problem with handles that Paul had last year. My dribbling was good, but incredibly sloppy. Eventually someone pointed out that I needed to do a better job of keeping my dribble as low as possible to the ground. It took me about a week to get used to that and my dribbling drastically improved. He is dribbling a lot lower than in years past so I wouldn't be surprised if his handles REALLY improved as long as he doesn't get lazy with the ball.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,493

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    I think Paul will show more improvement, while Roy will be more consistent. Paul wil average more points and most likely will get more notoriety, but Roy will be our "rock".

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

    J7F

  9. #6
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,952
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    roy

    his game is farther along.

    this is based on one preseason game though. Paul looked more assertive than last year, but his game still looks the same. almost but not quite there.
    Paul's ball handling is significantly better. He still gets into trouble sometimes, but that's more the result of all the other starters being out and going 1 on 5 and getting overextended. He's had numerous possessions where he's pulled off crossovers that left his man in the dust, and he's been getting where he wants to go with the ball, especially to his sweet spots for pull up J's from mid range.

    Roy will still probably have a better season, stince he's starting from ahead and probably will average a double double if he plays a few more minutes. But Paul won't be far behind, his game is improved and it will look even better once he's playing with the other starters.

  10. #7
    Member pacers74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Plainfield
    Posts
    2,292

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    I think PG will average more points, but Roy will be more of a all around player.
    PG: 18ppg, 5rpg, 1spg
    Roy 15ppg, 10rpg, 2bpg

  11. #8
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,952
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    One thing to consider is that Vogel has stated that not only does he want to ride his starters more this year, but that he expects each starter above 30 mpg. PG would have likely gotten far more mpg last season had he not gotten into foul trouble early as often as he did, I expect him to play around the same mpg as Danny, which will be 32-36, especially since he can slide over to the 3 when necessary too. Roy I could see 31/32 mpg.

    As for numbers-

    I think Paul will average 16-18 ppg 6-7 rpg 2-3.5 apg on 44-45/38-39/82-85
    Roy I see 14-16 ppg 9.5-10.5 rpg 2 apg on 51%

    Roy will still probably be our most important player and our anchor, but Paul won't be far behind. I'm more bullish on Paul's potential to score this year than I was before pre-season. He gets into trouble going completely on his own, but with the other starters on the floor with him who have to be respected I think he'll shine.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:


  13. #9

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    As I don't expect Roy to regress, it'll be a good thing for the Pacers if PG has the better season.

    That being said, despite how highly I think of PG, I think it's a little early to be expecting the things some are expecting of him. And I still think he's in a position (with Danny, Roy, GH, and West) where he's going to feel like the fourth or fifth option. And I don't see that as a negative, because the Vets probably see him that way too.

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,564
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    Likely G-squared will shock the world and lead the Pacers this year, while Paul George shifts to the 3 and readjusts and becomes a more solid team player on both ends of the court. Roy will play better when he has size next to him who can take pressure off of him in the post (hopefully West has been saving energy here in the preseason so far since he apparently cannot get off the ground from what other posters have said), likely being a combination of Ian and our newest "stretch 4" in Granger.

    As far as the original question, Paul George will get the accolades, Roy will do the work in a supporting role.

  16. #11
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    You guys realize that Roy Hibbert is an all-star, right?

    I am nearly 100% sure that Hibbert will have a better season and that's no knock on Paul.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:


  18. #12
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,952
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As I don't expect Roy to regress, it'll be a good thing for the Pacers if PG has the better season.

    That being said, despite how highly I think of PG, I think it's a little early to be expecting the things some are expecting of him. And I still think he's in a position (with Danny, Roy, GH, and West) where he's going to feel like the fourth or fifth option. And I don't see that as a negative, because the Vets probably see him that way too.
    I'm not so sure the vets see him that way, it's more likely he sees himself, or did see himself that way, given what we've heard, but the Vets aren't blind, they know that the expectation is that George is going to have a more prominent role this season, and they've been supportive of it, they also know that Vogel has been pushing for a more aggressive George. I don't think the vets have a problem with it, they know that George probably has the most upside and raw talent on the team, and seem like a group focused on the team over individual accolades. I think they'll encourage George to take a more active role on offense. We'll still be pretty balanced, but I think George will be more like a 2B C or D option this season rather than 2nd to last or last on the totem poll.

    He also has the potential to get to the line alot, which can bump scoring averages, I don't think that 16-17 ppg is out of the question, as Frank is supposedly going to be playing the starters more minutes, and George is well equipped to play quite a bit more between fresh legs and positional flexibility.

    Roy may well have a better season, for one I think he'll be more consistent (he was dominate at times last season) and we'll be able to get him the ball in his spots more consistently, but if we're talking who improves more relative to last season it's probably Paul, since Roy started off higher.

  19. #13
    Member Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    887

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As I don't expect Roy to regress, it'll be a good thing for the Pacers if PG has the better season.

    That being said, despite how highly I think of PG, I think it's a little early to be expecting the things some are expecting of him. And I still think he's in a position (with Danny, Roy, GH, and West) where he's going to feel like the fourth or fifth option. And I don't see that as a negative, because the Vets probably see him that way too.
    What are they asking of him really? I don't believe that it is Vogel's proclivity to make him the go-to-guy, but just simply take part in a 5 man assualt where every man is a 1 or a two option. He is going to have the same green light as the rest of the starters. All five are expected to score. They are just saying score more at free will. It will still be done within the role of a wing player. I don't that that is a bad move. Paul can contribute on offense far more than he did a year ago. When people start focusing on him, that only makes the team stronger.
    Last edited by Noodle; 10-14-2012 at 08:37 AM.

  20. #14
    Gotta Play Big BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,420

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    Better season is not the same as better player IMHO. Instead, it's relative to what a player has done previously.

    Of course Hibbert is going to be the better player in terms of value to the team. That's almost a certainty. I expect in his third year for George to make that leap and get real notoriety. That will help all the players by taking the focus off of them. I think we will be significantly better this year.

  21. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    who do you think will end up having the better season between these two
    Hibbert and it won't even be close...... ...

  22. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    who do you think will end up having the better season between these two
    Paul George has some room to become somewhat better but he is never going to an all star caliber player. If he had that kind of potential, he would have shown it by now. That said, he can be a very solid player for a long time.... ...

  23. #17
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,117
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Paul George has some room to become somewhat better but he is never going to an all star caliber player. If he had that kind of potential, he would have shown it by now. That said, he can be a very solid player for a long time.... ...

    I think people are saying they have seen flashes of it. And not just PD posters, journalists across multiple media spectrums. But I understand what you are saying. Until the flashes become consistent, he will never be an All-Star type player.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:


  25. #18
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,952
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Paul George has some room to become somewhat better but he is never going to an all star caliber player. If he had that kind of potential, he would have shown it by now. That said, he can be a very solid player for a long time.... ...
    How many people here or otherwise though Hibbert was going to be an All-star after year two?

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:


  27. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many people here or otherwise though Hibbert was going to be an All-star after year two?
    Apples and oranges, big men take a long time to develop. How many shooting guards suddenly became all stars after playing good but not great their first three or four years? I thought Hibbert had the best chance on the team to be an all star a long time ago. That was because true centers are a rare commodity and he had the best chance to be named to the team....... ...

  28. #20

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apples and oranges, big men take a long time to develop. How many shooting guards suddenly became all stars after playing good but not great their first three or four years? I thought Hibbert had the best chance on the team to be an all star a long time ago. That was because true centers are a rare commodity and he had the best chance to be named to the team....... ...

    Tracy mcgrady, joe johnson, chauncey billups, etc etc.....

  29. #21

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    whether pg becomes an all star or not- i have no idea. as long as he keeps working to get better like roy has- that is what i am looking for. if he keeps up with building his game, things will likely turn out for the better.

  30. #22
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,952
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    @olblu

    Paul George has only been in the league 2 years, how can you assume that Paul won't be very good this year before it happens? Also, not many wings with all-star potential are drafted on to teams that get the 5th best record in the NBA their second year. Most of them are thrown into the fire, Paul wasn't.

  31. #23
    The Pac-Attack CompACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    387
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tracy mcgrady, joe johnson, chauncey billups, etc etc.....
    ...Reggie Miller

    Also to add, this is only PGs third year.
    Never half-a** two things. Whole-a** one thing.

  32. #24

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Paul George has some room to become somewhat better but he is never going to an all star caliber player. If he had that kind of potential, he would have shown it by now. That said, he can be a very solid player for a long time.... ...
    Paul George has pretty much every attribute a player can have in order to develop into an all star (and perhaps more), with the exception of ball handling, something he knows he struggles with and has worked on. (And I'd imagine continue to work on.) He's just very raw.

  33. #25
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,278
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: better season, Roy Hibbert or Paul George?

    The 3 G's. I like it. As for the question, I think its Paul. I think he will learn his game and step it up, since he is in a contract year after all.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

Similar Threads

  1. Roy Hibbert vs Paul George vs George Hill
    By AugustinGrangerHill in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-18-2012, 09:45 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-15-2011, 02:21 PM
  3. Sick! Paul george dunks over Roy Hibbert
    By 90'sNBARocked in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-24-2010, 12:14 PM
  4. Paul George scales Mt. Hibbert
    By PaulGeorge24 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 06:34 PM
  5. Roy Hibbert & Paul George Fighting!!!
    By SMosley21 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-27-2010, 03:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •