Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Odd Thoughts: First home pre-season game of 2012/13 season...

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: First home pre-season game of 2012/13 season...

Here's the more interesting thing:

Last year's rotation guys (2011-2012 vs. 2012-2013):

Collison: $1,500,000 / $2,300,000
    Jones: $2,700,000 / $2,900,000
    Barbosa: $7,600,000 / ~$2,000,000
    Hansbrough: $2,100,000 / $3,000,000
    Amundsen: $2,400,000 / $1,000,000

Total: ~16.3m / ~$11.0m

This year's (likely) rotation guys:

Augustin: $3,500,000
    Young: ~$1,000,000
    Green: $3,500,000
    Hansbrough: $3,000,000
    Mahinmi: $4,000,000

Total: ~15.0m

They were forced to move away from some of those contracts last year in order to upgrade the rotation. There's no question in my mind that they did, with a smaller total spend. One could easily argue that there was no way in hell that Barbosa would have fetched that from us this year, but the point still remains that there's more talent in the rotation 6-10 for less total spend.

Those savings shifted up into the starting five. The one big concern for me is whether Hill survives here as a starter. If he doesn't succeed at the point, then he'll have to be traded, or moved to the 2... which means that we move on from either Granger or George.
    Last edited by docpaul; 10-16-2012 at 02:15 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

So why does everyone feel the need to leave Lance out of their "likely" rotations when Vogel has already given the backup SG spot to Lance? You guys sound like it's already a done deal that Lance will fail. It even sounds like some of you want him to.

Kinda weird.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So why does everyone feel the need to leave Lance out of their "likely" rotations when Vogel has already given the backup SG spot to Lance? You guys sound like it's already a done deal that Lance will fail. It even sounds like some of you want him to.

Kinda weird.
    I just feel like his as lost as anyone when he doesnt have the ball in his hands.

Hes excellent with the ball but not so good at moving without it and as a spot up shooter.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Kinda weird.
    If that was directed at me, I'm actually a LS fan... just going with history as a guide... IMO, he has an uphill battle, as he's ridden the pine for three years now... Young has already shown starting calibre play hampered by injury... I hope they both kill it, to be honest.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

I agree, he's frustrating to watch at times. He hasn't had much of an opportunity to figure it out though. That's why I hope he's left in the rotation at least for a couple months so he can make mistakes and learn from them rather then being on eggshells while in the game.

I'm not even gonna get into the "what has he shown" or "is he really talented" discussion anymore. People want to believe they know more than a Hall of Famer and the coaches that watch him everyday. You can't really reason with those folks.

Kinda weird.
    Winner winner chicken dinner. I still think it all has to do with allegations from when he was a teenager. Otherwise people usually root for the young guys to succeed. I have also noticed a lot of the time people just like to act like he isn't on the team when discussing rotations.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

People act like Lance isn't there when discussing rotations because we haven't seen anything that would say he deserves to be in one. It's really that simple. You can reach for excuses and things to blame it on all you want, but most of the time the simple answer is the correct one. The simple answer is he just hasn't been good enough to play.

Have I been irked by people claiming he's going to be Tyreke Evans, a star player or difference maker? Of course. He's been terrible. I have no idea what those people are seeing. The only time he's played well is in Summer League. Which is a disorganized pick up game with less talent then you'll run into at Rucker Park at times. Suffice it to say, I simply don't get it, and it has nothing to do with anything off the court.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

So why does everyone feel the need to leave Lance out of their "likely" rotations when Vogel has already given the backup SG spot to Lance?
    Well, without a doubt GG has the backup 3 spot, and Augustin has the backup 1. Both of those spots are likely to have fewer than 15 minutes per game available, which isn't enough for either player. It's entirely within the realm of possibility that those two guys will steal backup minutes from the 2 (I can imagine Greene/Granger, Greene/George, and Augustin/Hill combos getting significant time). Lance isn't at his best when playing for a minute or two at a time; I can imagine the remaining minutes going to Young as a spark plug. Young's been a starter on a playoff team, he'll work his hardest to stay ahead of Lance in the depth chart.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!