Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Pre-season game 2: MIN @ IND 12/10/2012

Default Re: Pre-season game 2: MIN @ IND 12/10/2012

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He will be no worse than DJ
    Defensively, yes, neither of them looks like a guy you want guarding the ball during crunch time. But DJ is a legit NBA PG. Ball on a string, dribble in traffic, two good hands, difficult to pressure, all that kind of stuff. Ben looks like an undersized 2 learning to play the 1.

jmo, but I do think the Pacers are looking at him as the 3rd PG. The question should be is he better than Sundiata [sic] Gaines, not DJ Augustin. He might be, IDK. I haven't seen Gaines in person enough to have an informed opinion.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MvPlumlee View Post

Or when he is shooting free throws and nobody reaches over to execute the touching hands ritual.
    Never noticed. I'll have to look for that.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Hans always seems like such a loner to me. I don't mean that disparagingly, just what I see. You don't really see him chatting it up with guys on the bench, cracking jokes, that kinda stuff.
    when I was at the Pacers game in ATL last year, I remember during a play that got stopped early bc of some whistle, Tyler was driving to the basket and did a behind the back pass to someone. The play was dead by then, but how he reacted was so un-Tyler it stuck with me. Right after his pass, he looked directly at Dahntay (who was on the bench) and smirked (probably the most genuine emotion I had ever seen from him). I looked over at Dahntay, and he was clapping his hands and cracking up. There was some weird connection between them that moment...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rel For This Useful Post:

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oh...almost forgot! Area 55 sounded fantastic. Good stuff.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Never noticed. I'll have to look for that.
    It might be already too late. Watching the preseason games, he seems to have made huge improvement in that department.

loved greens game but i thought he was getting a little too emotional for a preseason game. something to keep an eye on

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Ben makes the team as the 15th guy, and him and OJ spend much of the season in Fort Wayne.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

my other take from last night is that Sam Young is Garbage. Good defender, but can't do much else with the ball. I think Hansbrough will make this team over Ahearn, Gaines, and young.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I think Ben makes the team as the 15th guy, and him and OJ spend much of the season in Fort Wayne.
    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    my other take from last night is that Sam Young is Garbage. Good defender, but can't do much else with the ball. I think Hansbrough will make this team over Ahearn, Gaines, and young.
    I dont think there is anyway we keep 15 players my guess is 13 maybe 14. I really doubt Ben makes the team I wouldn't keep him. I think Sam Young is a lock he is a player who will be valuable for depth purposes and come playoff time wouldn't be surprised if he is in the rotation versus a team like Miami or Boston who has good wings.

I think we cut Ahearn Gaines and Hans really no need to keep them. If we have an injury we could always sign a pg from the Dleague to a 10 day contract.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Top 10 from last night's preseason games, the Pacers make three highlights, and one lowlight (Gentle Ben gets blocked by Dante Cunningham at #10).

witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to imbtyler For This Useful Post:

Ian Mamasaymamasamamahinmi.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to LG33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MvPlumlee View Post
    It might be already too late. Watching the preseason games, he seems to have made huge improvement in that department.
    I agree. I think last year's disconnect from his teammates was very unusual. He seemed to be a lot more of a team guy his first 2 years and a much bigger cheerleader. He seems to be more connected during this pre-season.Makes me wonder just how much his confidence was shaken by being replaced as a starter last year. From the first year when he coined the nickname Goonies the younger players seemed to rally around him. Last year(including the AJ Price weirdness on the bench) there did not seem to be any enjoyment with Tyler and his unit mates at all???

The most important thing I got from this game is the Pacers look like they've 8 guys that can play. DJ, Ian and GG all look good enough to play extended minutes in the playoffs. By the end of the Miami series, Frank had maybe 6 guys he could count on. So everyone played extra minutes and ran out of gas at the end. Seems a silly thing to think about during the first home preseason game, but it is better than the Murphleavy years of looking for someone other than danny or jeff.

Sorry to see OJ struggling so much. I haven't been a huge NBA fan, so I generally don't watch the preseason roster dances, but I have a question for you veteran fans:
    What are the odds an underperforming player with a guaranteed contract ends up on the D-League team instead of the last man on the regular roster when his salary is 40% cheaper than the non-guaranteed players who would get that last spot instead?

I hope he picks it up before the end of preseason, cause I'm sure he can do better, but realistically, the D-League might do him good. Word is he's gotten a lot thinner, trying to be quicker and have more hops and I'm guessing that he's worked so hard on that... it's messed up his generally reliable shot. Still surprised he's actually doing worse in preseason than the miserable shooting performance of summer, but still believe he'll come around and prove to you all why the team wanted him. It just might not be until next year.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to GauchoDon For This Useful Post:

Surprised to see OJ shooting worse in the preseason than he did in the Summer League. Besides not turning the ball over, the last spots on the roster need to be halfway decent streak shooters. I'm sure he can fill this role, even though he hasn't shown any of that in a Pacer's uniform yet.

I'm not a big NBA fan and haven't really paid attention to preseason roster dances previously. So I have a question for you veteran fans:
    How often does a player with a guaranteed contract that's 40% cheaper than his non-guaranteed borderline teammates ends up in the D-league instead of rarely playing from the last roster spot?

Based on performance so far, i think playing in the D-league would actually be better than that rarely used last roster spot, but would be much prouder if he actually made the regular roster.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GauchoDon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I dont think there is anyway we keep 15 players my guess is 13 maybe 14. I really doubt Ben makes the team I wouldn't keep him. I think Sam Young is a lock he is a player who will be valuable for depth purposes and come playoff time wouldn't be surprised if he is in the rotation versus a team like Miami or Boston who has good wings.

I think we cut Ahearn Gaines and Hans really no need to keep them. If we have an injury we could always sign a pg from the Dleague to a 10 day contract.

Pacer4ever, the Pacers almost never do 10 day contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    loved greens game but i thought he was getting a little too emotional for a preseason game. something to keep an eye on
    To be fair, wasn't he emotional on the heels of a big comeback that included some big plays from him?

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    To be fair, wasn't he emotional on the heels of a big comeback that included some big plays from him?
    To be even more fair, his dunk gave us a 6 points lead with less than 24 seconds on the clock and while it might not have totally sealed the deal, it definitely took away some of the confidence of the opponent. Anyone who is competitive knows, a win is a win, even when you are playing a cardgame with your friends.

The fact it is just a preseason game also speaks in his favor. Nothing is at stake, so you don't have to block your emotions as much as in regular games.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to MvPlumlee For This Useful Post:

One good thing from Greens salute after the dunk, he got a technical for it. If celebrating on big dunks draw a technical every game, LeBron won't pay but 1 quarter a game! We can just clear out and let LBJ thunder dunk the first 2 possessions and he'll be gone?

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Yeah...but that's likely why he was brought in....to be a smart veteran defender not an all around player that could do everything well. Young would essentially fill the role that Inferno filled on the Team....be the pesky defender role player that could come off the bench ( hopefully without the tendency to try to do his best impression of Kobe on us on the offensive end ). If we have 2 open spots to take on Players....I don't see why Young wouldn't be the 1st guy and then whichever PG is the best of the bunch.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Depends on how the Pacers want to use the last roster spot. If they want to keep a spot open in case someone gets hurt or plays bad or whatever, then they have to choose between Young and the 3rd PG.

My guess is still Young makes the team if no one else plays well enough to be the 4th wing/backup SG. If Lance or OJ or Green looks like they can do the job, Young gets cut. In other words, Young makes the team if he makes the regular rotation. If not, they won't keep him as an extra guy. IMO, the Pacers keep a 3rd PG and call it a day. I didn't see anything in Young's play that screamed he's any better than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Yeah...but that's likely why he was brought in....to be a smart veteran defender not an all around player that could do everything well. Young would essentially fill the role that Inferno filled on the Team....be the pesky defender role player that could come off the bench ( hopefully without the tendency to try to do his best impression of Kobe on us on the offensive end ). If we have 2 open spots to take on Players....I don't see why Young wouldn't be the 1st guy and then whichever PG is the best of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    He said he has some history with the guy.

Green drew a technical foul on the play for taunting after staring at defender Jermaine Taylor.

"I kind of know the guy," Green said. "We have a little history ... it wasn't nothing personal. I got caught up in the moment. I'll never do it again."
    link

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I was just looking at the roster at Pacers.com. 18 names listed. Doesn't that mean only 3 must be cut?

Neville is gone
    Ahearn is gone

That means it's between:

Ben Hans
    Sundiata Gaines

I don't see how anyone else is threatened.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I was just looking at the roster at Pacers.com. 18 names listed. Doesn't that mean only 3 must be cut?

Neville is gone
    Ahearn is gone

That means it's between:

Ben Hans
    Sundiata Gaines

I don't see how anyone else is threatened.
    young is the other non-guaranteed contract. I don't see him staying unless he plays well enough to be the backup 2. Either by young playing well or lance and OJ not playing well. The fight for the 4th wing and 4th big spots in camp should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    young is the other non-guaranteed contract. I don't see him staying unless he plays well enough to be the backup 2. Either by young playing well or lance and OJ not playing well. The fight for the 4th wing and 4th big spots in camp should be interesting.
    Young is almost guaranteed to make the team because of Danny's injury. Without Young, if Danny is hobbled we only have Green and Paul George to man the 3. And that creates issues at the 2. So we need Young to be our third 3.