Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Pre-season game 2: MIN @ IND 12/10/2012

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pre-season game 2: MIN @ IND 12/10/2012

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Recall the majority of this board giving me a hard time when I said Ben Hans can ball when given the opportunity. Because supposedly he can't pass? Kid can play. He showed that at Notre Dame by winning Big East Player of the Year, and he showed it tonight. All he needs is a chance.
    i also believe you said he could be a starter in this league. Tyler is arguably the greatest ACC player of all time, yet everyone knows he shouldnt be starting.

Glad Mahinmi played well. I think he will be extremely valuable to us. I was one of the few that liked the trade because it brought in a legit back up big man which we disparately needed. We essentially traded our back up PG for a back up PF/C. And we were able to fill the back up PG slot with ease in DJ. Was a very solid trade by the FO.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

"I don't mess with West" ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In case you missed Green's dunk:

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    It wasn't Lou's fault really bad job by Bird we probably win the Heat series last season if we had a legit backup C and another wing defender like Rush. You cant rely on a guy with a gimpy back was beyond bad especially considering the drop off on both ends playing a poor player like Lou out of position.

You plug a Ian level player on too our bench last year we are much much better on defense and even a bit better on offense.
    That's what I was saying for the most part. Seeing Ian, a real backup center versus our old backup Lou has me excited for the season.

I'm not sure who Larry was supposed to get that was a legit backup like Ian seems to be without just making other holes in the roster. The reason we were able to get Ian was because of free agency.

Mood

Some encouraging signs from our new bench on display tonight. I'm excited to see how the regular rotation looks after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    kid can play offensively. if he's not under pressure bringing the ball up. But he looked really weak o defense. both figuratively and literally. nice shooting though.
    He will be no worse than DJ
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Mood

Also, while I'm sure his FG% was terrible, I liked how noticeably more aggressive Paul George was on offense. Polar opposite of his often silent self from last season.

I didn't get a great feel for his ball handling, but my very rough impression was that it has improved and gotten tighter than before. But he's still a 6'10" guy trying to dribble like a 6'5" guy, and it's still somewhat awkward.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

J7F

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    That's what I was saying for the most part. Seeing Ian, a real backup center versus our old backup Lou has me excited for the season.

I'm not sure who Larry was supposed to get that was a legit backup like Ian seems to be without just making other holes in the roster. The reason we were able to get Ian was because of free agency.
    We had almost 12m in cap room all last year. We could of got a guy to fill the void post lockout but Bird felt Jeff would be fine. I'm sure if Bird at it to do over he wouldn't do the same thing. I still am shocked Ian signed for 4m I though he was a Asik level of guy and Asik is making double the money. Yes Asik is a better rebounder but Ian is more mobile and has more offense defensively they are both great and both are foul prone.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Also, while I'm sure his FG% was terrible, I liked how noticeably more aggressive Paul George was on offense. Polar opposite of his often silent self from last season.

I didn't get a great feel for his ball handling, but my very rough impression was that it has improved and gotten tighter than before. But he's still a 6'10" guy trying to dribble like a 6'5" guy, and it's still somewhat awkward.
    PG ended up 8-18, not great obviously and he only got 19 points out of it, but not that bad. Expected worse before I looked.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

is there anywhere i can find video highlights of the game?

Mood

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    Recall the majority of this board giving me a hard time when I said Ben Hans can ball when given the opportunity. Because supposedly he can't pass? Kid can play. He showed that at Notre Dame by winning Big East Player of the Year, and he showed it tonight. All he needs is a chance.
    You said he is a starting NBA caliber pg and that simply is not true IMO. I hope he makes the lg still a long shot IMO. love when guys prove us wrong. His defense is really bad but he did run a team better than I thought he could 2nite I'm intersted to see if he can duplicate that performance vs Legit nba guys on a daily basis His decision making was still suspect he read the PNR wrong several times but he was hitting tough shots so it didn't hurt him. But he missed Pendy and Plums for eat layups.

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    Greens dunk was sweet, but more impressive was his all around game, he looks like he can create his own shot, decent handles, decent rebounder and suprisingly good passer. He looks like a pretty complete offensive player to me, greatly looking forward to see if he can make a leap this year and come closer to his great potential.
    Agreed on everything. And just to add a down to earth comment: I've never seen a guy jump as high as Green. Seems like he hangs in the air forever, insane athleticism.

after seeing some of the highlights, i am impressed with green. he looks like he has come quite a way from when he first came into the league when all he could really do were highlight dunks. those turnaround shot were tough and he looked comfortable taking them. he could very well become our big option off the bench with capabilities of filling on for sick/injured starters. this is excellent news. nice to see mahinmi out there. he really does have true center length out there and should serve as a quality backup for roy.
    i guess i will have to wait til next Saturday when foxsports shows a game to really see these guys and i will probably dvr it too.
    does fell good to feel optimistic about my 2 favorite hoops teams being relevant again. it almost never happens. i would believe the end of times were near if the pacers, colts and hoosiers (in hoops and football) could all be good at once though.

Green is the bench wing scorer we've been looking for.

Plumlee will end up taking any minutes Tyler was supposed to get.

That is what I took from the game tonight.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Was there any word on why Tyler didn't play tonight? Both Pendy and Plumlee looked like they'd be able to step in for him and we wouldn't miss anything Tyler brings.

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    Was there any word on why Tyler didn't play tonight? Both Pendy and Plumlee looked like they'd be able to step in for him and we wouldn't miss anything Tyler brings.
    i suppose that since this was preseason, the intent was to check out guys who either haven't gotten much burn before (pendy) and guys who haven't played like plum. and this being preseason, this is the perfect opportunity since there is no consequence if we lose.
    we need to see the unknowns and little knowns and see what we got.

Sports Logo

I noticed that Granger, Hibbert and Hill wasn't playing....could it be that allowed PG to be the #1 scoring option on the floor? He took 18 FGA this game.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Just got back from the game, also. Green, Mahinmi, and Ben H. That was the story, to me, and this whole thread reflects that already, so not much to add.

Pendergraph still doesn't impress me much. Tries hard, boards OK, and we're giving him plenty of opportunity preseason, it seems, but I think even Plumlee would make a better back-up.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    OJ looks like the OJ of summer league, not that good.
    This guy is just plain HORRIBLE....

Any of you think Ben H as a shot at making the squad?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wonder why Lance Stephenson has hardly played at all. Anyone think this is the end for him in Indiana?

Also a little concerned we only got Green on a 1 year deal, I'm really wishing we had him for longer.

Mood

8/18 is actually roughly the same percentage he shot last season. If he can keep up this efficiency at a high volume it's a win for us. George's ball handling imo was pretty significantly improved, yeah he waffled here and there, but he was also crossing people over and getting wherever he wanted to most of the time, his little pull up from mid-range looked particularly good, since off the dribble no shooting guard is really tall enough to contest it.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    I wonder why Lance Stephenson has hardly played at all. Anyone think this is the end for him in Indiana?

Also a little concerned we only got Green on a 1 year deal, I'm really wishing we had him for longer.
    Your wish is granted, we have Green 3 years, DJ is 1 year.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    Can't remember where I saw it, it was a quote from Frank though, but Vogel just wanted to get Plums/Ian/Pendergraph more minutes. Nothing to read into.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Haven't seen a lot of Green so is he a guy who can create his own shot or he will come off screens and shoot the ball or be on the receiving end of an alley hoop?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Hans always seems like such a loner to me. I don't mean that disparagingly, just what I see. You don't really see him chatting it up with guys on the bench, cracking jokes, that kinda stuff.
    Exactly my thoughts.

Or when he is shooting free throws and nobody reaches over to execute the touching hands ritual.