Thread: Reggie is on pace to break the season receptions and yards record

Default Reggie is on pace to break the season receptions and yards record

Longshot he gets either but i would love to see him get one or even both records. Hell if Luck can continue to improve and nobody else emerges as a receiving target he might just do it.

Default Re: Reggie is on pace to break the season receptions and yards record

9 receptions and 112 yards per game.

Marvin's reception total is a pace that is hard to keep up with. Welker has been on pace to break it a couple of times, but just a "good" week with 6 catches and 80 yards can kill you, along with late season weather issues (maybe less of a concern for RW). Plus those 10 reception games are likely to take a toll on your body.

It is more likely for an outside guy like Reggie to do it vs. a slot guy who is likely to get creamed if targeted on every down. Impressive to say the least, since you wouldn't call him a burner by outside WR standards, or a guy you target with the jump ball-type pass very often.

I haven't seen much Colts action thus far frankly, but from highlights it seems like he is lining up in multiple places, unlike in the past, correct? That versatility certainly helps make the defense unable to load up on limiting him by one strategy.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Marvin's reception record has to be one of the most impressive NFL records ever. I think it will stand for a long long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Marvin's reception total is a pace that is hard to keep up with. Welker has been on pace to break it a couple of times, but just a "good" week with 6 catches and 80 yards can kill you, along with late season weather issues (maybe less of a concern for RW). Plus those 10 reception games are likely to take a toll on your body.

It is more likely for an outside guy like Reggie to do it vs. a slot guy who is likely to get creamed if targeted on every down. Impressive to say the least, since you wouldn't call him a burner by outside WR standards, or a guy you target with the jump ball-type pass very often.

I haven't seen much Colts action thus far frankly, but from highlights it seems like he is lining up in multiple places, unlike in the past, correct? That versatility certainly helps make the defense unable to load up on limiting him by one strategy.
    Yes, Reggie has been all over the field. Spent a good portion of the GB game in the slot actually where he got to line up 1 v 1 vs. Charles Woodson's corpse.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Reggie is AFC player of the week.... officially...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Longshot he gets either but i would love to see him get one or even both records. Hell if Luck can continue to improve and nobody else emerges as a receiving target he might just do it.
    I doubt that will happen. Reggie had a great game and a great season so far. There is a long way to go.... ...

Does anyone besides me wonder about how much the Colts would've benefitted from a house cleaning in the coaching staff and FO a while back? True, Luck is relying on Wayne somewhat... but Wayne is also making himself a fine target too. I don't think the constant movement for Wayne at the los should be discounted. It's obviously working. And it's not like it's some radical idea. We were stuck in a rut and nobody apparently wanted to consider there might be a better way than the system as it was being run (on both sides of the ball).
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Does anyone besides me wonder about how much the Colts would've benefitted from a house cleaning in the coaching staff and FO a while back? True, Luck is relying on Wayne somewhat... but Wayne is also making himself a fine target too. I don't think the constant movement for Wayne at the los should be discounted. It's obviously working. And it's not like it's some radical idea. We were stuck in a rut and nobody apparently wanted to consider there might be a better way than the system as it was being run (on both sides of the ball).
    Without a doubt, we would have benefited from somebody other than Caldwell. And despite his winning, I think Dungy had alot of problems. Most noticeably our defense was designed to work only when Peyton was on fire. Thats not a good thing. That means when an opponent figures out your offense, they are able to counter your defense at the same time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Yes, Reggie has been all over the field. Spent a good portion of the GB game in the slot actually where he got to line up 1 v 1 vs. Charles Woodson's corpse on his back.
    *edit

Without a doubt, we would have benefited from somebody other than Caldwell. And despite his winning, I think Dungy had alot of problems.
    I think a lot of these offensive 'problems' came from Peyton. Reggie ALWAYS to the left. Marvin ALWAYS to the right. As great as the years Peyton had here were, defenses never had to worry about alignment or deceptive plays. They knew what was coming and while it was often tough to stop it because of the talent of Reg, Marvin & Peyton - it gave the D a slight - SLIGHT - advantage.

Peyton said 'this is what we're going to do' and the coach, O-co-ord and everyone else just said 'Sure, OK. Whatever you want.'

It sure is nice to see another chapter in the playbook.

Link

2. Wayne's world: Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne deserved plenty of props for his 13-catch, 212-yard performance to help beat Green Bay, Chuckstrong style. But he deserves even more applause for returning to Indianapolis one season after the Colts finished 2-14 and Wayne had at least one better offer elsewhere. The one team that made a significant push to sign Wayne last offseason was the New England Patriots, according to league sources. The Patriots offered Wayne more money than the Colts, yet the veteran wide receiver felt a certain sense of loyalty to Indianapolis, something not always evident in sports today. Wayne wound up passing up the Patriots' offer, accepting a slightly less lucrative deal with the Colts and returning to Indianapolis to help usher in the new era of football.
    That would've sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    I think a lot of these offensive 'problems' came from Peyton. Reggie ALWAYS to the left. Marvin ALWAYS to the right. As great as the years Peyton had here were, defenses never had to worry about alignment or deceptive plays. They knew what was coming and while it was often tough to stop it because of the talent of Reg, Marvin & Peyton - it gave the D a slight - SLIGHT - advantage.

Peyton said 'this is what we're going to do' and the coach, O-co-ord and everyone else just said 'Sure, OK. Whatever you want.'

It sure is nice to see another chapter in the playbook.
    I agree, although I do have to admit those times where they did change it up it always seemed to devastate the defenses.

And way to go Wayne. So glad he stayed. But seriously Loyalty in pro sports...the hell?

Quote Originally Posted by bunt View Post
    Link

That would've sucked.
    I just read that and was about to post it. I didnt know about that. Reggie is one of the greatest sports figures Indy has had. I hope he shatters records. He's getting MVP chatter too. I swear, i just watched the short cut of that Green Bay game. I've seen recievers put up gaudy stats, catching long td's and such. I dont ever recall a reciever flat out dominating a game with defenders draped on his back all day. Credit Luck for making some fantastic throws ( bullets even...arm strenght questions lolz ). But when that ball was in Reggie's catch zone, he caught it. Half the time, as Trader Joe mentioned, with Woodsons corpse on his back....

He was absolutely fearless. He dominated the middle of the football field like a Tight End. And when he felt like it, he slayed cornerbacks on the outside and down the field unmercifully. I dont recall a more dominant performance like that. I mean, you look at guys like Calvin Johnson or Cruz and see these amazing stats, but I never walk away from watching those games, thinking about how they dominated an entire defense. Here's a brilliant break down of the coverage on Wayne, that just goes to show you how dominant he was.

http://nfl.si.com/2012/10/10/break-i...sct=nfl_bf2_a6

Also, guess what. I dont blame Reggie for that poor performance against Revis two years ago because i realized something. The Colts and Peyton Manning went into that game game planning to stay away from Revis. They were playing scared. However, against Woodson and Tramon Williams, two excellent cover DB's, Andrew Luck clearly didnt know any better. He threw to Reggie 20 times. He didnt over-respect the ability of those guys and decide to take Reggie out of the game plan. He went to him early and often and because he did, Reggie dominated. It was one of the more special sports performances i can remember in Indianapolis.

I have heard some chatter, but I just don't see a WR winning the MVP in this day and age.

Reggie's pace is now 131, Welker 128, Percy Harvin 131.

amazing stat: Welker's 48 catches come from being targeted only 51 times (94%). That is so off-the-scale efficient, no other WR comes remotely close to it. Harvin might be next best at 79%.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/pl...ort/receptions
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 10-15-2012 at 05:12 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

I have heard some chatter, but I just don't see a WR winning the MVP in this day and age.
    I don't think many receivers have been MVP..... so I agree with you...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I don't think many receivers have been MVP..... so I agree with you...
    He won't win the MVP.
    "We want Miami"

He won't be breaking the record, but he still leads the league in receiving yards

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yea, I never expected him to keep up a pace of 150 yards/game lol. That early 200 yard game skewed things. The fact he's still leading the league in yardage at his age is just amazing. To even be in that range is just awesome.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What's the record. How many receptions/yards does he need
    "We want Miami"