Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Keeping David West

Thumbs up Keeping David West

If DWest has the kind of season he showed us the last 3 weeks and during the playoffs, I think it will take his 10 mill, Hans 4 mill, and some change to keep him in Indy. Do you see any other team giving him bigger piles of money after this coming season?

Sports Logo

Default Re: Keeping David West

He'll be 33 when he gets his new contract... He's a very solid player but even if he has a good season (say 16/8 or something) I don't think he's gonna get 10m/year.

Anyway, I think West is a decent player and brings maturity to this team, but I don't think we're going to keep him. Our cap situation isn't so great anymore. If we resign him we're gonna have some problems resigning Granger and George.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I think we'll resign him for cheaper. Maybe like 3 yr 15M or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    If DWest has the kind of season he showed us the last 3 weeks and during the playoffs, I think it will take his 10 mill, Hans 4 mill, and some change to keep him in Indy. Do you see any other team giving him bigger piles of money after this coming season?
    over 14 mil a year? no way. 7-8 mil i'd expect. if no one wanted to take Scola off Houston's hands, and he had 3 years at 9 mil or so on average, then i don't see anyone giving a huge deal to West either.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post:

West came to Indy to rehab his knee. His next move is his final shot at big bucks in free agency. He was a two year rental folks.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    I think we'll resign him for cheaper. Maybe like 3 yr 15M or something.
    There is no way that will be enough. He's going to get at least 8 million/yr if he plays well this year.

Mood

I like him on this team and hopefully he will want to stick around to see this team develop.

I hope we can keep him, but a scenario where he goes to one of the big dogs seems likely to me. He's not as entrenched into the franchise like some of the other guys.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    West came to Indy to rehab his knee. His next move is his final shot at big bucks in free agency. He was a two year rental folks.
    Yes and no.

I really think he chose Indiana because he liked what was available here and thought he could be more useful here. I don't think it was just to rehab his knee.

I do agree that his two-year deal is all we'll see from him in Indy. I mentioned this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here. DWest has served his purpose for this team. He was brought in to show this young team how to be professional. He was brought in for his toughness, attitude, respect, and approach. We all saw it in the team, in the young guys -- how the maturity level of everyone here took a huge step forward with West's arrival. One more year with that, and guys like Granger, Hibbert, Hill and maybe even Paul George will be grown men who carry themselves as such.

West was the perfect signing for this exact role.

But he's not getting any younger. He's not getting any quicker. He's not getting any better on defense or more dynamic on offense. He is what he is. And his contract was designed with that in mind. After this year, his purpose will have been served and I think the team will look for a younger, more dynamic player at his position. He will go on to get a ring or a big payday, and we will go on to remember DWest as a HUGE part of our development towards being contenders. In only two years, he will cement a legacy here in Indy that Pacers fans will always be thankful for.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

I pray someone offers him big cash. Then we can try to go after someone who plays D and rebounds..
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Well one thing we are going to have to remember are the new cap rules will start taking effect after this coming season, right? That would suggest that players like Lebron en Dwight will keep getting their huge paydays, but I expect backups, borderline starters and mere starters to start having to deal with lower offers.

West, who I greatly respect and was my 2nd favorite Pacer past year could very well be one of those players that will not be getting the sort of offers he was getting in the past, especially if we start factoring in age. I hope we can keep him without having to break the bank, but the chances of that happenning are IMHO slim, alas.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I think the original plan was to sign David West as veteran mentor, with Tyler Hansbrough taking over when West's contract was up. This wasn't unreasonable 2 seasons ago, when Tyler had a fairly promising half season as starting PF. But I think West fit in better and had more of an impact than anyone anticipated. And Tyler not only hasn't built on his second season performance, he's regressed significantly. So I would think our plan A now is to re-sign West. $7-8m per year for 2-3 years as hackashaq says is his likely market value - can't imagine anyone offering more. And if anyone is getting moved, it's probably Tyler.

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    But he's not getting any younger. He's not getting any quicker. He's not getting any better on defense or more dynamic on offense. He is what he is. And his contract was designed with that in mind. After this year, his purpose will have been served and I think the team will look for a younger, more dynamic player at his position. He will go on to get a ring or a big payday, and we will go on to remember DWest as a HUGE part of our development towards being contenders. In only two years, he will cement a legacy here in Indy that Pacers fans will always be thankful for.
    This is also possible. But the big question is - who? If we let West and Augustin walk next season, we will have about $8-9m in cap space after taking roster charges etc into account. That's not nearly enough for Josh Smith, who's probably the top FA PF next season. It may be enough for Paul Millsap though, so I guess he's the guy to watch out for.

As for trade, well we don't really have a lot of trade assets. Trading say, Granger, for a young talented PF would just open a hole at another position. Ideally, we'd sent out West himself for a younger replacement, but I don't know how much value West will have as a half year rental.

I still think it's more likely that we re-sign David West than any other option. But things can change a lot by end of the season. We'll see.
    Last edited by wintermute; 10-06-2012 at 05:42 AM.

Unless DWest has a much much better year, the chance that someone will pay him $14M a year is remote. I looked at the ESPN 500 list, and David is like the 17th or 18th highest rated PF. That would seem to make him an 'average' starter. and an average starter should be easily replaced by another average guy with an average salary.

When thinking about guys getting big offers, you need to look at what team needs a guy like DWest enough to offer more than the Pacers. You can pretty much eliminate 15 or 20 teams just because they have a guy they like. Cap space would eliminate most if not all of those weak at the 4. I just don't see the market opening for DWest at anything above what he's making now.

Banned

The Pacers are going to re-sign Dwest and are going to use him until his wheels fall off, I expect a 3 years contract for about 7mil a year, maybe 4 years.

They should trade him for a guy like Milssap or Josh Smith but that's not going to happen.

I could see 3 years, but I doubt we keep him for $7 mil. I think West turned down more money and a longer contract from Boston to set up his last , big,long term signing. Maybe the same $10 mil for 3 or 4 years?

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    I pray someone offers him big cash. Then we can try to go after someone who plays D and rebounds..
    That way people can start complaining about a power forward who can't score and therefore forces our offense to have to play four on five.

23. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    That way people can start complaining about a power forward who can't score and therefore forces our offense to have to play four on five.
    Not trying to start an argument or anything like that but I'm pretty sure a lot of power forwards can score 12ppg, hell even Tyler in his horrible year last year was able to average 9ppg.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I think the original plan was to sign David West as veteran mentor, with Tyler Hansbrough taking over when West's contract was up. This wasn't unreasonable 2 seasons ago, when Tyler had a fairly promising half season as starting PF. But I think West fit in better and had more of an impact than anyone anticipated. And Tyler not only hasn't built on his second season performance, he's regressed significantly. So I would think our plan A now is to re-sign West. $7-8m per year for 2-3 years as hackashaq says is his likely market value - can't imagine anyone offering more. And if anyone is getting moved, it's probably Tyler.

This is also possible. But the big question is - who? If we let West and Augustin walk next season, we will have about $8-9m in cap space after taking roster charges etc into account. That's not nearly enough for Josh Smith, who's probably the top FA PF next season. It may be enough for Paul Millsap though, so I guess he's the guy to watch out for.

As for trade, well we don't really have a lot of trade assets. Trading say, Granger, for a young talented PF would just open a hole at another position. Ideally, we'd sent out West himself for a younger replacement, but I don't know how much value West will have as a half year rental.

I still think it's more likely that we re-sign David West than any other option. But things can change a lot by end of the season. We'll see.
    Millsap would be a dream come true.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Not trying to start an argument or anything like that but I'm pretty sure a lot of power forwards can score 12ppg, hell even Tyler in his horrible year last year was able to average 9ppg.
    Dale Davis never averaged 12 ppg. Just sayin'. Not sure why I'm sayin', but just sayin'.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    There is no way that will be enough. He's going to get at least 8 million/yr if he plays well this year.
    I think you could pitch 25-26m for 3 years if he looks solid this year and he'd be interested.

Yes the team would be pushed on the Paul George increase, but Danny's not going to command more than he's already on the hook for. He's been good on his deal, but not better than the deal.

Losing that Hans $4m is going to help a lot, and if West comes off $1.5m a year also then you have a good chunk of Paul's raise. Things are tight, but if they work well together then it can be kept in place.

I wouldn't be surprised if West or Danny is gone after next summer due to these budget issues. But maybe they'll make it work.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Dale Davis never averaged 12 ppg. Just sayin'. Not sure why I'm sayin', but just sayin'.
    And Dale Davis could play D and rebound pretty well unlike West.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if West or Danny is gone after next summer due to these budget issues. But maybe they'll make it work.
    The wild cards are DJ and Lance. If they play well enough then someone will have to go. Could be some hard decisions. I know Lance has two more seasons here.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    Millsap would be a dream come true.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case.....which IMHO means that DWest is gone next season unless he can be had for a slightly above average but reasonable price.

Add in that the Pacers have had an obvious interest in Milsap for the longest time ( who happens to also be a UFA ).......I don't see us getting older...I see us getting younger.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case.....which IMHO means that DWest is gone next season unless he can be had for a slightly above average but reasonable price.

Add in that the Pacers have had an obvious interest in Milsap for the longest time ( who happens to also be a UFA ).......I don't see us getting older...I see us getting younger.
    I hope you are right.