Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Preseason NBA thread 2012

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Advanced stats in basketball are an in exact science at best, and misleading as hell at worst. In the case of Thompson, I'm betting it was the latter.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Default Re: Preseason NBA thread 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Advanced stats in basketball are an in exact science at best, and misleading as hell at worst. In the case of Thompson, I'm betting it was the latter.
    Oh, you mean Tristan, not Klay. Interchangeable though.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    Cavs are one of the big teams in using advanced stats to evaluate and scout players. Both Thompson and Waiters measured out real well in that metric.
    I though they picked Thompson because they fell in love with his work ethic. But ya his advanced were pretty good in college. I didn't see much skill cerntinly not enoght to warranty a top 10 pick. Ditto on Waiters. Although they didn't meet with him because he had a promise so stats probablly played a bigger role as his backround isn't anything good.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Two things from the OKC/CHI preseason game.
    1. James Harden looked pretty bad as the primary offensive option (KD and Westbrook didn't play) obviously it's just pre season but dude just struggled with a defensive team focused on him.
    2. Perry Jones is a player. I really hate the Pacers didn't pick this guy up. If he stays healthy he's either a crazy big 3, or a stretch 4 who's big enough to actually guard 4's. Again I know it's pre season, but he's puttin up double figure averages and looking like a natural. He obviously won't get much burn during the season but he looks like a great prospect.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    1. James Harden looked pretty bad as the primary offensive option (KD and Westbrook didn't play) obviously it's just pre season but dude just struggled with a defensive team focused on him.
    2. Perry Jones is a player. I really hate the Pacers didn't pick this guy up. If he stays healthy he's either a crazy big 3, or a stretch 4 who's big enough to actually guard 4's. Again I know it's pre season, but he's puttin up double figure averages and looking like a natural. He obviously won't get much burn during the season but he looks like a great prospect.
    I was a PJ fan as well. I have family who live just down the road from his HS at Duncanville, TX. My nephew was also the sports editor at Baylor, so I've followed Jones for quite some time. He had been projected a top 10 lottery pick as a freshman. Considering his substantial skills and athleticism, it was surprising to me to see him drop so low.

I was hoping the Pacers would take a chance on him. But dropping so low does raise a huge red flag.

Kemba Walker has shot about 30% this preseason.

Over/under that Walker shoots over 40%? I say under. 38%...above his rookie seasons 37%.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Yep. As long as PJIII stays healthy, I think we'll look back and PJIII will have a much better career. *sigh*

Banned

The Hornets front court is looking good.

Banned

Wade is crying again.

Banned

Great game, New Orleans doesn't go away.

Anthony Davis.

it will be interesting to see who Houston cuts. They don't have much dead weight. They'll have to cut one or two pretty good vets, or promising youngsters.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    it will be interesting to see who Houston cuts. They don't have much dead weight. They'll have to cut one or two pretty good vets, or promising youngsters.
    Yup. So far, Brockman (injured) seems to be the only lock to be cut. Other candidates:

JaJuan Johnson - guy I'm hoping for. He's barely played in the preseason so far. OTOH, young promising big on rookie contract - who cuts guys like that?

Greg Smith - young project big, undrafted a year ago. Was PG's college teammate. Would seem an obvious cut, but he seems to be a bit of a pet project (e.g. like Lance here)

Machado - has lot of fans on this board (p4e, etc). Competing with two vets though (Douglas and Livingston) for backup PG.

Livingston - would seem another obvious cut, but his partially guaranteed contract would be very useful in trade, much more than say Machado. I could see Houston choosing to hang on to him until the trade deadline.

Gary Forbes - positionally, he's the least expendable. But he's not really a high upside guy, so I could see the Rockets choosing someone else.

Going strictly by value, I think Forbes is the 2nd guy to go, and I think there are more or less equal cases for JJJ, Smith, Machado, and Livingston as the 3rd guy. All would be decent pickups IMO.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Since it's technically still preseason... Philly apparently isn't close to signing Jrue Holiday to a contract extension.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/sports/si...30560ce88.html

On the same day in which the 76ers announced they had picked up the fourth-year option on Evan Turner, Jrue Holiday confirmed that he’d love a new contract of his own.

The Sixers have until Wednesday’s season opener to agree on a contract extension with Holiday, the team’s starting point guard.

Holiday, the 17th pick in the 2009 draft, will earn $2.7 million this year. If he doesn’t get an extension, the Sixers could offer Holiday $3.8 million next summer, which would make him a restricted free agent.

“I definitely want an extension,” Holiday said after Thursday’s two-hour practice. “I want to play here. I feel comfortable. It’s like family to me. But it’s kind of out of my hands. I’ve just got to go out and play every day.”

Agent Tony Dutt and Holiday are believed to be seeking a four- or five-year deal (which the Sixers could only give Holiday if they use the one-time designated player exception) starting at close to the maximum allowable $13.6 million.

The Sixers have reportedly offered a pact beginning closer to $9 million.

“I do think it should be fair,” said Holiday, who insists the lack of extension wouldn’t affect him on the court. “But, again, it’s really up to them. If they come out and I like the number they offer, then yeah (I’d sign). If not, then, hey, what can I do?”

Sixers president Rod Thorn didn’t return an email on the subject by press time.
    I think I'd rather have Holiday at $9m per than Hill at $8m per, but Holiday at max $$$? Man. Though I guess he'll end up in the $10-11m per year range, the way these negotiations seem to go.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Since it's technically still preseason... Philly apparently isn't close to signing Jrue Holiday to a contract extension.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/sports/si...30560ce88.html

I think I'd rather have Holiday at $9m per than Hill at $8m per, but Holiday at max $$$? Man. Though I guess he'll end up in the $10-11m per year range, the way these negotiations seem to go.
    Holiday a max guy? LMAO!!! His numbers are similar to Hill's starter numbers I think. I don't see Holiday getting more than Hill honestly. He better have a breakout year this season if he wants more.

The Kittens are just awful.

Mullens - 25 shots for 16pts
    Walkter - 17 shots for 6pts!
    Henderson - 20 shots for 17pts

Mayo almost had a triple dub for the Mavs. 1 assist shy.

Does anyone know where to find preseason stats team by team? I can't find that on NBA.com, so I have to search them one by one.

Stephenson 10/41 2FG
    1/11 3FG
    Ben Hansbrough leading the league in Ast/To 12/1

I know it's preseason, but there is always a small truth in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Kemba Walker has shot about 30% this preseason.

Over/under that Walker shoots over 40%? I say under. 38%...above his rookie seasons 37%.
    He's not, and never has been a great shooter. He makes the ones that matter, but his percentages were never great.

My guess is he will shoot around 40% because I think he'll get more calls now that he's not a rookie, so he'll go to the line on a few of his missed close range shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    The Kittens are just awful.

Mullens - 25 shots for 16pts
    Walkter - 17 shots for 6pts!
    Henderson - 20 shots for 17pts

Mayo almost had a triple dub for the Mavs. 1 assist shy.
    And MKG can't shoot lol. But hey, I got a great deal on Bobcats season tickets this year

Mood

Yup. So far, Brockman (injured) seems to be the only lock to be cut. Other candidates:

JaJuan Johnson - guy I'm hoping for. He's barely played in the preseason so far. OTOH, young promising big on rookie contract - who cuts guys like that?

Greg Smith - young project big, undrafted a year ago. Was PG's college teammate. Would seem an obvious cut, but he seems to be a bit of a pet project (e.g. like Lance here)

Machado - has lot of fans on this board (p4e, etc). Competing with two vets though (Douglas and Livingston) for backup PG.

Livingston - would seem another obvious cut, but his partially guaranteed contract would be very useful in trade, much more than say Machado. I could see Houston choosing to hang on to him until the trade deadline.

Gary Forbes - positionally, he's the least expendable. But he's not really a high upside guy, so I could see the Rockets choosing someone else.

Going strictly by value, I think Forbes is the 2nd guy to go, and I think there are more or less equal cases for JJJ, Smith, Machado, and Livingston as the 3rd guy. All would be decent pickups IMO.
    Greg Smith isnt a pet project kid can play. I still have a few questions motor wise but I really liked him at Fresno. I liked him last year he and Morris played well in the Dleague(I dont like Morris at all) I think he makes the rotation in the near future. I see the Rockets doing the same thing with Machado that they did with Greg last year keep him on the 15 man roster and send him to their own Dleague team to develop him within the Rocket system just like they did with Smith.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 10-27-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    And MKG can't shoot lol. But hey, I got a great deal on Bobcats season tickets this year
    I'm going to their season opener, our second game of the year. Should be a fun night with their fans.

I'm obviously going to the two bobcats pistons matchups.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

If Greg Smith gets cut, and though I know it won't happen, I'd love for the Pacers to sign him. If only he could replace Pends.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    I'm going to their season opener, our second game of the year. Should be a fun night with their fans.
    Will be a little more active atmosphere than normal. Season opener has half price concessions. Last year they played the Bucks in a close game and almost sold out.

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen

Rockets expected to officially waive Gary Forbes, Jon Brockman and JaJuan Johnson on Monday, source said. Still must make 2 more cuts.

looks like you might still get your wish

26. The Following User Says Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post: