Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: IndyStar: Pacers take smash-mouth basketball to another level

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default IndyStar: Pacers take smash-mouth basketball to another level

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...-another-level

Pacers take smash-mouth basketball to another level

by Mike Wells

The Indiana Pacers have taken smash-mouth basketball to another level, with assistant video coordinator Jhared Simpson wearing football shoulder pads in practice during a screening drill.

Assistant coach Jim Boylen pitched the idea to coach Frank Vogel. Boylen got the drill from Michigan State coach Tom Izzo, whose teams have a blue collar reputation. Boylen also used it when he coached at the University of Utah.

"It's a reference point type drill," Boylen said. "You want to make the pad click. It gave our guys the freedom to smack somebody without anybody getting hurt. It also gave them a good feel for what a solid screen feels like."

The objective of the drill was to try to help the Pacers set better screens. They have struggled in that area over the years.

"That was the idea," Vogel said. "Maybe we'll become a better screening team. One of the differences between the (Miami) Heat and our team during the playoff series last year was that I thought they were a better screening team."
    Hill inducted into Hall of Fame

Pacers guard George Hill was inducted into the Indianapolis Public Schools Hall of Fame on Thursday. Hill, who starred at Broad Ripple High School, routinely visits IPS schools to encourage kids to excel academically and reach for their dreams.
    Showing some fatigue

After back-to-back days of two-a-day practices, the Pacers only worked out once Thursday. Vogel said he noticed his players tiring.

"Guys got a little worn down toward the end of practice. Most of practice was pretty sharp. Guys were playing through it, playing with speed, playing with athleticism, but they tired down," he said.

The Pacers are treating today like a game day. They will have a shootaround this morning, then return for a scrimmage tonight with two 12-minute halves.
    A Hall of Famer in the building

Mel Daniels, who was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame last month, is attending practices as a guest of Pacers President Donnie Walsh.

Daniels spent nearly 30 years in the organization as a player or member of the basketball staff before he was fired as director of player personnel in October 2009.

Walsh, who left the Pacers for the New York Knicks in 2008 before returning last June, and Daniels have a close relationship. Daniels worked for the Knicks when Walsh was president of the teams.
    Screens? We're going to finally set good, hard, effective screens?

BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: IndyStar: Pacers take smash-mouth basketball to another level

Tyler should have excelled at that drill. This is the third time in a week I have mentioned Tyler's screening. If he learns how to set a screen the way it is meant to be set, then his effectiveness will go up ten fold offensively.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

It was good to read they are going to work on their screening, but the part of the article I liked best was apparently any wounds between Mel Daniels and the Pacers are being healed.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

I really wish all that "smash mouth" crap would die a quick and painless death.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tyler should have excelled at that drill. This is the third time in a week I have mentioned Tyler's screening. If he learns how to set a screen the way it is meant to be set, then his effectiveness will go up ten fold offensively.
    Assuming Tyler didn't just spear tackle the guy wearing the pads.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I like it
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LetsTalkPacers84 For This Useful Post:

J7F

Banned

And here we go with the "smash mouth" crap again

Banned

The most annoying part of the "smash mouth" crap is that fans buy into it so anytime there is a rumor about a player their first request is for that player is to be "smashmouth".
    Last edited by vnzla81; 10-05-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    The most annoying part of the "smash mouth" crap is that fans buy into it so anytime there is a rumor about a player their first request is for that player is to be "smashmouth".
    Please refrain from name calling. who cares? i like the thought of being a hard-nosed, blue collar, smashmouth basketball team. even if it is all fake (i dont think it is) and just talk. season starts in 24 days? try to keep your panties in a bunch until then.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacers4Life For This Useful Post:

So is your problem with fans buying into any sort of team identity/philosophy and expecting acquisitions to fit that philosophy or is it specifically "smashmouth" that you have a problem with?

Because to me, it only seems logical for fans to want the team to acquire players who fit well with the larger philosophy of the team (whether it be smashmouth or run n' gun).

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Gill For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Gill View Post
    So is your problem with fans buying into any sort of team identity/philosophy and expecting acquisitions to fit that philosophy or is it specifically "smashmouth" that you have a problem with?

Because to me, it only seems logical for fans to want the team to acquire players who fit well with the larger philosophy of the team (whether it be smashmouth or run n' gun).
    The "smashmouth" philosophy is a myth, planning and drafting around this fake philosophy is not smart.

The "smashmouth" philosophy is a myth, planning and drafting around this fake philosophy is not smart.
    Please explain.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

You will really hate on anything wont you Vnzla?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    You will really hate on anything wont you Vnzla?
    Peck is just asking him to explain his comments on why vnzla81 doesn't think that the Team isn't "smashmouth". Nothing wrong there.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Seems to me actually working in practice on setting hard picks is putting their money where their mouths are.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Please explain.
    When I think about "smashmouth" I think about the Knicks of the 90's, the Detroit Pistons of the 90's, the Pacers don't have a Rodman, they don't have a Mason, the toughest guy they have on paper and because he is a boxer off the court for the Pacers is David West, how many times have you see him pulling a Rodman?

Then the next toughest person and the originator of "smashmouth" in Tyler can't even play normal basketball because he has been told that "smashmouth" is great and he should play "smashmouth" at all times, at least that's what I hear from Vogel.

By a "myth" I mean that with this Pacers personal I don't really see anybody that intimidates anybody, making the "smashmouth" thing just talk, you can talk about "smashmouth" and playing "tough" all you want but when you don't have the personal all that becomes air.

Lets also not forget that with this new NBA playing "smashmouth" could get players suspended or ejected making the "smashmouth" philosophy a thing of the pass and a myth.

Banned

By the way I understand what Vogel was doing with the "smashmouth" thing when he took over, but now two years later and is still trying to bring this "philosophy"? I think they should try something else.

billbradley

When I think about "smashmouth" I think about the Knicks of the 90's, the Detroit Pistons of the 90's, the Pacers don't have a Rodman, they don't have a Mason, the toughest guy they have on paper and because he is a boxer off the court for the Pacers is David West, how many times have you see him pulling a Rodman?

Then the next toughest person and the originator of "smashmouth" in Tyler can't even play normal basketball because he has been told that "smashmouth" is great and he should play "smashmouth" at all times, at least that's what I hear from Vogel.

By a "myth" I mean that with this Pacers personal I don't really see anybody that intimidates anybody, making the "smashmouth" thing just talk, you can talk about "smashmouth" and playing "tough" all you want but when you don't have the personal all that becomes air.

Lets also not forget that with this new NBA playing "smashmouth" could get players suspended or ejected making the "smashmouth" philosophy a thing of the pass and a myth.
    Maybe we're trying to be a modern version "smashmoth" team. Would you disagree that our physicality has been getting under teams skin for a few years?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    Maybe we're trying to be a modern version "smashmoth" team. Would you disagree that our physicality has been getting under teams skin for a few years?
    Yeah, I think we have. I remember how irritated Rose got at Foster during the Bulls series in 2011. I wish Foster could have stayed healthy, if for nothing else than to deliver some hard hits in a playoff series.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Yeah smashmouth has to be redefined. What we consider smashmouth is pretty tame compared to some of the stuff you used to see in the 90s.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Yeah smashmouth has to be redefined. What we consider smashmouth is pretty tame compared to some of the stuff you used to see in the 90s.
    It's all relative, the overall NBA isn't as tough, just as the Pacers aren't as "smashmout" as the toughest teams in the 90s. In today's NBA we are a pretty hard nosed team.

36. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Mood

I agree, smashmouth should go away. I think David West should become a stretch 4 who trails back and jacks up three pointers. Hell, we saw how McRoberts developed a 3 point shot, maybe Plumlee can do the same?!?

@Pacers24Colts12

I honestly don't see the big deal with the term "smash mouth" or why people have a problem with it. It just seems like a really stupid thing to pick nits about. But that's just me.

39. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

And that's what I understood Vogel to mean when he started the concept of "smashmouth" for the Pacers. Stay with it, give up on no rebound, loose ball or jump ball opportunity. I don' believe he had anky intention of becoming a group of goons or dirty players. Just non stop effort from everybody on the team. JMHO

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Yeah, I think we have. I remember how irritated Rose got at Foster during the Bulls series in 2011. I wish Foster could have stayed healthy, if for nothing else than to deliver some hard hits in a playoff series.
    Kevin Love wasn't too fond of our version of smash mouth either. I also recall we got under Milwaukee's skin pretty good, too.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Gill For This Useful Post: