Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pacers Real Training Camp on NBATV

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers Real Training Camp on NBATV

I suppose I agree that there could have been more actual footage of the practice, but I still enjoyed the whole thing. Got me excited for real basketball. Pretty cool to see what types of things we're working on and what Frank is really trying to drive into these guys.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

As a graduate of film school, and a filmmaker, it seems as though I could have directed that better. I got excited during some parts, just to be let down right after. It was clearly an opportunity for picture-in-picture, proper multi-camera shots, and audio voiceover. Anyway, it did succeed in getting me hyped for the season. And I understand that a friend of mine is getting excited as well after watching the feature on NBATV; apparently for the first time since around 2008. Which is awesome, because we've snagged a casual fan!
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

They have in the past, but sometimes the coverage is pretty sketchy and doesn't even show up on the TV schedule until slightly before gametime.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

That was frustrating. There were bits and pieces that we informative but then they would break away.

I enjoyed the one blockout drill and the basic halfcourt defense drill, when the players on the weakside as the ball was swung to their side had to first be in full help position before they went back to their man.

Also hearing Frank was interesting.

Yeah, I watched like half of this and most of it FF trying to get to some scrimmaging only to find out there would be no scrimmage.

WTF

Pacers, I know you want to get your name out there, but don't be so freaking dull trying to do it. Be exciting. Show us some scrimmage!
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Yeah, I watched like half of this and most of it FF trying to get to some scrimmaging only to find out there would be no scrimmage.

WTF

Pacers, I know you want to get your name out there, but don't be so freaking dull trying to do it. Be exciting. Show us some scrimmage!
    Should you be telling the Pacers, or NBATV?

I've watched may 20-30 mins or so, so far. Only thing I saw of note, player wise, was when the 2nd unit was running the slowed down 'skeleton' offense, Tyler finished with his left hand. So there's that. I also thought Tyler looked buff, even bigger than in recent history. I thought Lance looked wider across the back too. Sam Young is legit NBA wing sized, which I knew, but was reminded of.

I also liked the action in the different sets, alot of screen the screener going on, which is always a favorite of mine. I liked how Frank emphasized the detailed stuff and it was things that were right on target, like spacing on the break, not going for low percentage steals, etc. I liked the weakside action in most of the sets, I couldn't stand with BRush would stand in the corner, back in the day. Frank talked about attacking the pick n roll by the ball handler and making the defense fully commit, big deal to me. Alot of time players have the motions down for a set, but won't 'sell' the other options because its designed to take advantage of a sagging defense/weakside help, sometimes its lost what is need to put the defense in that recover mode, in the first place.

I liked what I've seen so far, not action packed, but it shows that the staff really knows what they are doing. It's easy for me, historically, to look at some of the bad basic fundamental basketball plays that you see sometimes in the NBA and blame the coaches. Not the case here, imo.

Scrimmages are fine and ya I like them, but really thats what games are about, seeing the competition. I like watching practice for the little nuances, I like watching the NBA Combine too, though, so it's all what you expect, I guess.

Edit for more: Frank talked about closing out on defensively on great 3 point shooters, like 'Gerald Green and Ahearn', which was kinda cool to mention them as examples.

He also talked about moving players under the rim when rebounding an offensive free throw, he goes think Milsap, Boozer, and -cant remember the 3rd guy, maybe Noah-.

For defensive FTs, he said teams miss 6 FTs a game on average against them and they can control that with fundamental techniques that they get those rebounds. He said they are like 50/50 balls in there eyes and they should get all of them. I felt like shedding a tear, that was such a basic, yet profound, teaching moment. I can't stand when guys don't box out on FTs, neither can Frank evidently. Love the attention to details by this staff, very nice, those little things add up at the end of a game and season.
    Last edited by Speed; 10-08-2012 at 12:31 PM.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Now why didn't they hire you to do analysis during the broadcast? That's what I wanted. Someone to tell me what was going on.

I was also at a disadvantage because I don't have a DVR. I only got one shot at figuring out what what happening. Like when they were playing defender roulette and Frank chastised Lance for not going strong against West. At some point I figured out what was happening. But by then it was too late to appreciate. I would have liked to have been able to go back and review it after I realized what was happening. Or they could have just had the analyst explain what was going on in the first place.

When I found out they were streaming it live at 1 and then broadcasting at 5 pm I was excited. I thought I'd watch it live and then again at 5 to pick up on the things I missed. But it was so frustrating to watch the first time that I didn't want anything to do with the second broadcast. It was sooooooo disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    He also talked about moving players under the rim when rebounding an offensive free throw, he goes think Milsap, Boozer, and -cant remember the 3rd guy, maybe Noah-.
    I'm pretty sure the other player he mentioned was Cousins.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

This is kind of related. I was able to attend an event where Pritchard spoke last week. I asked him if we'd be signing any of the free agents in from camp and he said yeah. I asked "Sam Young?" and he shook his head yes as if there was no question. Not really a surprise but more of confirmation to a lot of people here.

He also said when they drafted Plumlee, they didn't expect him to break the rotation for a year or two. Nothing surprising either but the way he spoke about him didn't help convince me of the pick.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RandyWrinkles For This Useful Post:

My take on Plumlee is he'll be what a bunch of other back up centers are who have long careers in the NBA, playable. How's that for a ringing endorsement.

There is some variance among these types, here's a list and some are even starters, but it's in perfect situations.

Joel Anthony
    Cole Aldrich
    Kwame Brown
    Matt Bonner
    Jon Brockman
    Nick Collison
    Jason Collins
    Dasgana Diop
    Dan Gadzuric
    Fez
    Aaron Gray
    Nazr Mohammed
    Zaza Puchulia
    Joel Pryzbilla

Some guys have some unique single skills like Bonner and his 3 pt shot, but most are really just solid back up centers, imo.

It's in support of the argument that you can get these guys without spending a first rounder on them, but you could also think its cheaper to get a guy on a 4-5 years rookie scale who can do the same thing. Not a sizzle first round pick, but it serves a need, I guess. Maybe you could argue it saved a couple of million a year that you used to sign Gerald Green or Augustin, too.
    Last edited by Speed; 10-08-2012 at 01:21 PM.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Like when they were playing defender roulette and Frank chastised Lance for not going strong against West.
    I believe this is referred to as the "moon" drill due to the 4 players rotating in musical chairs fashion. It was pretty funny that Lance took it a bit soft when West was in front of him when Shaw put up the shot.

Production was awful. I know it's live, but so is every freaking NBA game. So you have to cut a comment short to get something, or you have to go to replay 15 minutes later to show on-court stuff you missed, but you still have an idea of what you are going to get and should have planned to only add color as necessary to keep things moving.

Imagine watching a Pacers game where Quinn insists on talking about something with the camera on him during the entire 2nd quarter of the game, just because. That's what this was like. No one could prep AC and whats-his-name that when things picked back up they would break out of it to pick up footage? And when you went to the Roy replay it's just a huff and a missed shot rather than any of the myriad of things you could kind of hear him saying in the background when AC was talking?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RandyWrinkles View Post
    This is kind of related. I was able to attend an event where Pritchard spoke last week. I asked him if we'd be signing any of the free agents in from camp and he said yeah. I asked "Sam Young?" and he shook his head yes as if there was no question. Not really a surprise but more of confirmation to a lot of people here.

He also said when they drafted Plumlee, they didn't expect him to break the rotation for a year or two. Nothing surprising either but the way he spoke about him didn't help convince me of the pick.
    What the ***** about Plumlee. Then draft PJIII then. Someone with talent. Even if you don't want PJIII, his talent alone could be traded more than Plumlee's value.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    What the ***** about Plumlee. Then draft PJIII then. Someone with talent. Even if you don't want PJIII, his talent alone could be traded more than Plumlee's value.
    No one wanted to draft PJIII because doctors gave him 3-4 years before his knees give out and his career is over. He definitely has talent, but he disappeared in his sophomore year and his NBA career appears to be one that won't last.

Just a general thought from watching the program and reading all of the training camp articles: this team finally has a clear-cut pecking order, which is extremely important for leadership/chemistry. There are no controversies about who the starters are, or even the bench players. Expectations that Plumlee and Orlando will not be playing much are pretty clear.

It's nice to have defined roles and it seems like we've made a lot of progress in that area.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Just a general thought from watching the program and reading all of the training camp articles: this team finally has a clear-cut pecking order, which is extremely important for leadership/chemistry. There are no controversies about who the starters are, or even the bench players. Expectations that Plumlee and Orlando will not be playing much are pretty clear.

It's nice to have defined roles and it seems like we've made a lot of progress in that area.
    Late 1st rounders and 2nd rounders should not be playing on a team that is striving to win the division.