Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who has the best defensive back court in the league this year? Miami, Brooklyn, maybe Indiana?

Default Re: Who has the best defensive back court in the league this year? Miami, Brooklyn, maybe Indiana?

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If it is just backcourt, I agree it is probably Boston but only if we're counting Harden as the main SG instead of Sefolosha.
    In a Rondo/Bradley vs. Westbrook/Thabo duel, I'd argue that the Boston side has the best two defenders.
    And they also compliment each other very well in terms of defensive styles. Rondo/Bradley only defensive weakness is size vs. Kobe types, but that's where Courtney Lee comes in.
    If we are talking about backcourt as 1-2 rotation, Boston is just something else.

---------

Anyway, earlier i made my list thinking of 'backcourt' as guards, too.

If it's 1-2-3, Miami wins.
    Though if you consider depth/full rotation, you can make a very strong case for Boston too. Boston has 4-5 very solid perimeter defenders, some of them elite.

#1 Miami
    #2 Boston
    #3 Denver
    #4 probably Memphis
    #5... still a lot of options, but I'm leaning the Clippers in this case. They can now throw CP3-Barnes-Grant Hill at teams when they need stops, and that's good.

The next 5 in no order:
    Detroit, here's hoping that Knight takes another step, Stuckey stays healthy and Prince stays where he was last year.
    Portland. Matthews is pretty awesome. Batum is solid. I've no idea about Lillard, I haven't seen him.
    San Antonio. Manu+Leonard=good. Tony Parker is ok.
    Pacers.
    Nets. DWill has to step up. Wallace and Johnson have to stop declining. But I would give them benefit of the doubt for this season.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who has the best defensive back court in the league this year? Miami, Brooklyn, maybe Indiana?

Portland's wing tandem of Wes Matthews and Nic Batum has to be up there. I haven't seen Lillard enough to know what he is like though, and he probably will start at the point, with those two on the wings.

Edit: Sorry, didn't read the post above me who mentioned the same thing.

Backcourt has to be Boston with Rondo, Bradley, Lee.

Other ones I like: Memphis, Miami, Philly, Indiana.

I'm amazed we're even having the Pacers in a discussion for best defensive backcourt after all these years. Feels good.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Really?

Between Parker/Neal - Ginbbili/Green (basically their guard rotation) I don't think of any of those players, except maybe Green, that is more than an average to slightly above average on ball defender.
    Was playing sort of, while I think Parker is not much of a defensive guy, Manu well atleast in the past has been pretty good on defense, he really gets at it in my view, also Kawhi is a pretty good defensive player.

I don't think they are on the level of some of these other guys, but they are still pretty good.
    Why so SERIOUS

Parker is meh, but he's not that bad. He's improved compared to the early days.
    Ginobili/Green/Leonard aren't elite, but they are all good. Neal is horrible, and then they have S-Jax who got old.

But overall, two of their starters (Manu, Kawhi) are good and Parker is ok and they have a good defender off the bench (Green). And they are very smart and very well coached on both ends. They don't really have a true stopper or an All-defense level guy, but I'd consider them top 10.

Manu doesn't start.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Boston gets my vote, without question. Miami is a close second.

I can't put Indy in my top 5, not until hill and George learn how to defend better off the ball and in the 2-man game, both of which got exposed last summer.

Individually, they're fine defenders, but in a team concept they both get lost.
    off ball maybe, although i dont see Hill struggling off the ball much, but in the 2 man game they're not the problem. its the other one in that equation.

if were talking strictly backcourt we're easily top 5.

edit: i think what separates our backcourt D from nearly every other team is our versatility. We can easily swap positions and not miss a beat. Being able to guard multiple positions is huge in this league, and it's the main reason I put them in the top 5 over teams like Memphis and the Nuggets. Teams with smallish PGs.
    Last edited by CJ Jones; 10-04-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Manu doesn't start.
    maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. he started for years, then he fractured his hand and finished the season off the bench.
    either way, he's a good defender who plays starter minutes when healthy, so i don't think it's so important.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    off ball maybe, although i dont see Hill struggling off the ball much, but in the 2 man game they're not the problem. its the other one in that equation.

if were talking strictly backcourt we're easily top 5.

edit: i think what separates our backcourt D from nearly every other team is our versatility. We can easily swap positions and not miss a beat. Being able to guard multiple positions is huge in this league, and it's the main reason I put them in the top 5 over teams like Memphis and the Nuggets. Teams with smallish PGs.
    Hill is a fine man to man defender, but his PnR defense is what made him expendable in San Antonio. Looking at his performance in the first two rounds last summer, it's still a glaring hole in his defense. The guy just does not make good decisions.
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-04-2012 at 04:58 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

[QUOTE=Kstat;1506401]
    Hill is a fine man to man defender, but his PnR defense is what made him expendable in San Antonio.
    I hadn't heard that, but I'll take your word for it. I can only go by what I've seen though, and last year he was damn good defensively in every aspect.

Looking at his performance in the first two rounds last summer, it's still a glaring hole in his defense. The guy just does not make good decisions.
    A couple bad games doesn't ruin the whole body of work.

Nelson - 15 ppg on 39% fg
    Chalmers - 12 ppg on 44% fg

He didn't get abused in the playoffs like people make it sound. With the help of some inept PnR partners he had a couple bad games, that's all.

It wasn't the other guy in the PNR. It was hill. There is a reason Orlando ran it almost exclusively when he was in the game and went away from it when he sat down.

You can't look at individual numbers when evaluating PnR defense. It's one of those things you have to see in tape.

It wasn't restricted to last year, either. In both of San Antonio's playoff losses, hill was targeted defensively in PnR situations. He actually went from starting in the 2010 suns series to almost not playing at all by the end of it because Nash was eating him alive.

Yes, I know it's Steve Nash. But since that series it seems teams attack that in every playoff series. Memphis and Orlando both had similar gameplans. Miami didn't, but Miami really relies on ISOs and has no real PnR game with chalmers.
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-05-2012 at 08:16 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Like I said, SA's in the past. According to synergy Hill was great in the PnR and defending off ball screens last year. For that matter, so was Paul which flies in the face of conventional wisdom here at PD.

...because it doesn't get exploited until playoff time. Teams don't gameplan for that on a Day-to-day day basis, especially during last years condensed season.

I thought he looked better at defending it during the season, too. Then the playoffs began, and teams went back to attacking it like an open wound again.

Hill doesn't struggle with defending off the ball, that's george's issue, which you can still attribute to age and inexperience.
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-06-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Fair enough if that's the way you saw it. I didn't see it that way, though. Nelson had two good games and Chalmers got most of his playing off LeBron and Wade. I don't see how you can say he was singled out and was an open wound defensively, but that's you opinion I guess.

As for Paul, he not as bad defending off the ball as PD makes it sound. And when he does struggle it's not as much because of his youth and inexperience as it is his size. Nobody besides Lebron at 6'8" or higher is great at getting around screens, but his size does help him contest shots even if he's not right on the shooter. Surprisingly he was much better than even I thought last year defending off the ball. Much better than your boy Stuckey who after looking at 82games I thought had a great season defensively, but looking at the breakdown on synergy, he was really average at best. Just goes to show stats lie if you don't know how to read them.