Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has the best defensive back court in the league this year? Miami, Brooklyn, maybe Indiana?

Default Who has the best defensive back court in the league this year? Miami, Brooklyn, maybe Indiana?

What does everyone think?

I'm including both wings, the Nets have a lot of talent defensively with Wallace, Johnson and Deron.

The Pacers should be right up there as well. I'd argue Wallace and Granger are about equal, Joe, who's extremely talented on D but doesn't necessarily always give 100%, is better than Paul right now. Deron Williams is no stud on defense, but he's not bad either. He has all the physical abilities to play good defense and as long as he turns it up a little notch, as a unit the Nets look to be pretty good defensively on the perimeter.

Obviously because of defensive gods LBJ and Wade, Miami is probably the best.

I really feel this is going to be PG's coming out party defensively this year, so I expect Indiana's perimeter defense to be pretty spectacular. It'll be interesting to see it all play out.

Edit - I should have said best perimeter defense instead of backcourt.
    Last edited by mattie; 10-03-2012 at 05:55 PM.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Banned

Default Re: Who has the best defensive back court in the league this year? Miami, Brooklyn, maybe Indiana?

Boston, Rondo,Bradley and Pierce, Miami is also pretty good, Pacers are up there too.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who has the best defensive back court in the league this year? Miami, Brooklyn, maybe Indiana?

Boston is good. I say they are better than the Nets. But Miami and us are up there......if play the way we are suppose to. I think the funneling to Hibbert needs to not be the default.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Out of these options I'ld have to go:

1. Miami - Chalmers, Wade, LeBron
    2. Indy - Hill, George, Danny
    3. Boston - Rondo, Bradley/JET, Pierce (Rondo is the only defensive stud here to my knowledge... But he is good enough alone to warrant the Cs being high on a list like this... Though I'll admit I know almost nothing about Bradley... Jet is average... And PP is slightly above average at this stage of his career)
    4. Brooklyn - DWill, JJ, Wallace (DWill and JJ are both just average defenders... Wallace is a stud)

I know there are other good defensive backcourts that should be above Brooklyn... I don't have time to look them up right now though...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

Wallace has a reputation for being a stud defensively, but he's not actually as good as his reputation. Just because he's such a physically intimidating player, I think many people assume that he's better than he actually is. But yes, he is good defensively.

Joe Johnson believe it or not, when he puts his effort in can shut down about anyone. I've seen him do it. I think he grows a little lax when he's playing against average players though..
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pacers are up there too.

Hear that, Elizabeth? I'm comin' to join ya', honey...

BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Brooklyn? I don't see it Joe Johnson is a pretty average defender. I'd say it's Boston, us and Miami in some order. Probably depends on Avery Bradleys health.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

OKC. Boston, Memphis, and possibly Philly and Indy round out top 5.

#1. Boston's Rondo-Bradley or even Rondo-Lee backcourt is just insane.
    The best defensive backcourt i've seen in years. But they'll use quite a bit of Terry. So that will diminish the D a little.

#2. I'd say Memphis. Conley-Tony Allen is very very good. Two very different approaches to defense, kind of like with Rondo-Bradley. Elite.

#3. Miami.

#4. Denver. Iguodala/Lawson? Wilson Chandler and Corey Brewer off the bench? Andre Miller isn't great, but he's smart defensively.
    Yikes.
    This might be the #2 backcourt defense because of their depth, but I have to see them play first.

These 4 look elite to me.

Now #5 i'm not sure. Nets, us, San Antonio, Clippers, Utah, Raptors, Pistons. One of those. A few of these teams depend on rookies and sophs a lot. E.g., Terrence Ross looked like a prototypical elite defender/3pt shooter in camps but couldn't do much else. If Ross performs and replaces DeRozan who sucks, that's a great defensive backcourt (next to Kyle Lowry).

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    OKC. Boston, Memphis, and possibly Philly and Indy round out top 5.
    OKC would be hard to sell, imo. Westbrook and Harden both average at best. Thabo <3, but he gives 20 minutes a game. So overall, i don't consider them great

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post:

Westbrook is not average. he's one of the best. Harden is average.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

If you are talking only starters, then IND is in the mix. If you include Augustin, IND is not in the mix. He is a historically bad defender along the lines of Mark Jackson bad. He might try, but can't keep up. Lance is historically lost on offense and defense and OJ is a complete unknown.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Westbrook is not average. he's one of the best. Harden is average.
    he's a headless chicken with a lot of tools.

Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    he's a headless chicken with a lot of tools.
    Whatever you think of his offensive decision making (which is what I assume you are referring to) his defense is excellent.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Whatever you think of his offensive decision making (which is what I assume you are referring to) his defense is excellent.
    i'm referring to defensive decision making.

I actually think Harden is a below average defensive player. Brilliant offensive force though. Can do just about anything for your team on that end.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Boston gets my vote, without question. Miami is a close second.

I can't put Indy in my top 5, not until hill and George learn how to defend better off the ball and in the 2-man game, both of which got exposed last summer.

Individually, they're fine defenders, but in a team concept they both get lost.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Though not as consistent as many elite defenders, Westbrook is a very good defender.

I think the order would be: Boston, Miami, MEM (as a poster said earlier, Allen and Conley are elite defenders in the backcourt), and DEN/IND are about equal, just in different ways.

I actually would move NJ closer to the 8-12 range. D.Williams isn't a terribly good defender by any means, JJ has the ability but lacks the intensity most of the time, and Wallace is a shell of his former athletic peak. They're not terrible by any means, but I think they're behind a few of the other teams.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

One of them has Lebron?

Then the answer is his team.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

LeBron doesn't play guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    LeBron doesn't play guard.
    The original question said he was including "both wings" and went to length discussing Gerald Wallace's merits. I assumed Lebron counted.

-Lance Stephenson

Ah. In that case, I withdraw, though you cant really call it a backcourt. Miami would certainly overtake Boston in that case.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Ah. In that case, I withdraw, though you cant really call it a backcourt. Miami would certainly overtake Boston in that case.
    If it is just backcourt, I agree it is probably Boston but only if we're counting Harden as the main SG instead of Sefolosha.

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

SPURS
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    SPURS
    Really?

Between Parker/Neal - Ginbbili/Green (basically their guard rotation) I don't think of any of those players, except maybe Green, that is more than an average to slightly above average on ball defender.