Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Based on his game, I do expect him to be better than Tyler. He has hops and fairly strong guy...and will get up on the rim on occasion. Man, I need a new avatar...
    Yes you do. And I expect Plumlee to be better than Hans. That's not saying much though. I don't see Plumlee as being that much better defensively, much worse offensively, but a much better rebounder. The most positive news is that Plumlee won't get blocked in the post all the time or through up complete crap shots trying to sell he got fouled.

Pacers are pretty damn solid everywhere but backup PF. Pacers will have the best bench in the least, so that should be ok if we are weak at PF.

West, don't you dare get injured.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I agree with you, I'm just saying if he doesn't magically become better this year, then it's not going to happen at all. I mean think how much crap Hansbrough took for his age coming out of UNC and he was actually younger than Miles and a much more accomplished player.
    AND it also means that he was a much older player than his NCAA competition, and wasn't getting it done. Age differences prior to perhaps 23-25 are a huge factor. I've been reading the book Outliers which has one section detailing the massive advantage age can have in creating star players (in that case just 8-10 months when talking about kids 8-12 range).

At 18 you might still be growing and are likely still stabilizing hormones (ie, chemically driven to be less reasonable), but by 24 most of that should be long gone. So then how are you getting better?

1) Getting bigger - done growing by 24, maybe NBA conditioning could help I suppose but that's also on the player

2) Emotional maturity - done by 24 normally

3) Better mental training - the dude was at Duke, Frank isn't teaching him how to win in the NBA better than Coach K was teaching him how to win in the NCAA

Miles would appear to have had a massive advantage over the typical Wake or Clemson 18-19 year old Freshman. He just lost all those advantages and yet people are expecting a big change?

This isn't even anti-Miles because I'll support anyone that wants to try and obviously you just never know, but the truth is that statistics of human behavior suggest that normally you actually do have a pretty good idea of how things are going to go. This is exactly why most superstars are picked in the top 10 spots of the draft...people knowing how things will probably go.

In fact I think most busts are driven by people looking to buck the indicators and look for some counter-intuitive example or they try to project development that just isn't realistic to expect (ie, less than 30% chance let's say). These GMs and scouts sell themselves on an idea they want to be true.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    much worse offensively
    Did you get to see Miles play in the summer league? Just curious, your expectations sound like all the stuff people were saying on draft night. When I saw him play in the summer league I was stunned. He was a much different player than I expected. His offensive potential is a lot higher than Tyler's. Mile's is more than a dunker. Just curious if you got to see him play.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Did you get to see Miles play in the summer league? Just curious, your expectations sound like all the stuff people were saying on draft night. When I saw him play in the summer league I was stunned. He was a much different player than I expected. His offensive potential is a lot higher than Tyler's. Mile's is more than a dunker. Just curious if you got to see him play.
    I watched. I wasn't impressed at all. He def won't get blocked down low like Hans, so that's a positive. As long as he sticks to quick put backs and thunderous dunks, then I'll be happy.

Now really free Lance!

I watched. I wasn't impressed at all. He def won't get blocked down low like Hans, so that's a positive. As long as he sticks to quick put backs and thunderous dunks, then I'll be happy.
    He got All Summer League... what more can he do? Yeah it's summer league, but after watching him play he doesn't seem anything like how he was portrayed by the draft pundits and PD scouts.

Here's to Miles proving his doubters wrong

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Summer league CAN ONLY PROVE ONE THING - are you non-NBA capable. It can not verify your ability to play in the league. If you struggle in summer ball then you probably aren't going to cut it, barring some crazy outlier that I can't even think of. If you excel it simply means you passed the test for not failing already.

Tons of guys look good in that slop, some are players, most are not. Guys like Paul or Danny or Roy may just do "okay" in summer ball, but they never flop. But plenty of busts do look good in summer ball.

Miles may make it, but summer ball doesn't prove a thing in the positive. Miles isn't just showing up doubters, he needs to prove his previous output was a massive underachievement on his part rather than an indication of his talent level. He put up the C- at the NCAA level, not the doubters. He earned the questions on his game. If you want people to think you are good, then be good.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Miles may make it, but summer ball doesn't prove a thing in the positive.
    I don't think anyone expected him to prove himself in summer league. That would be asking a bit much. But what you can do in summer league is show off your skill set and your potential. Miles showed that he has a ton more game than anyone on PD gave him credit for. He greatly exceeded my expectations. That's all he could hope to achieve in the summer league and he did it. So everyone should be hopeful.

True, he hasn't shown anything in the NBA yet. But he also hasn't played a single game in the NBA yet. So I think we should just wait a bit on that. Take one challenge at a time. What I've seen so far was summer league. He looked promising. So far so good. That's all we should ask for.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    I don't think anyone expected him to prove himself in summer league. That would be asking a bit much. But what you can do in summer league is show off your skill set and your potential. Miles showed that he has a ton more game than anyone on PD gave him credit for. He greatly exceeded my expectations. That's all he could hope to achieve in the summer league and he did it. So everyone should be hopeful.

True, he hasn't shown anything in the NBA yet. But he also hasn't played a single game in the NBA yet. So I think we should just wait a bit on that. Take one challenge at a time. What I've seen so far was summer league. He looked promising. So far so good. That's all we should ask for.
    He is supposed to a be a plus rebounder, yet I didn't see that. Hey the jury is still out. While I think the Pacers should have taken PJIII, which was a no brainer, if Plumlee even comes close to a Foster type player, I'll be more than happy. Right now, I don't see it, and when the GM says he won't be ready for a year or two...for a guy that's already old for a rookie, my confidence plummets. If you wanted a guy that won't be ready for a couple of years, they most def should have gone for PJIII who has tons more upside.

Now really free Lance!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Tons of guys look good in that slop, some are players, most are not. Guys like Paul or Danny or Roy may just do "okay" in summer ball, but they never flop. But plenty of busts do look good in summer ball.
    Paul George was pretty bad in summer league.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Paul George was pretty bad in summer league.
    Shooting % wise, but you could tell the talent was there.

I don't take much stock in SL, but you can at least get a sense if a player has some talent. I was excited about OJ, but that dude made poor decision after poor decision, mostly trying to force things to go his way. Haven't heard much from him since. Is he signed or will he even be signed?

Now really free Lance!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

has there been a Wells day 2 yet?
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    Figured I'd just add this here rather than making a new thread for it.

http://www.indycornrows.com/2012/10/...n-in-scrimmage

Fun little feel-good read. Only question I had was about Danny not playing in this team scrimmage. But, I'm guessing he played in the first half and was out in the second half because they're trying to go easy on his knee.
    Looks like Tyler is beating West out for the starting spot... I joke I joke
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Looks like Tyler is beating West out for the starting spot... I joke I joke
    From what I've been reading, Pendergraph has looked real good and might take minutes from Hans.

Now really free Lance!

Mood

From what I've been reading, Pendergraph has looked real good and might take minutes from Hans.
    Yeah, have not really been up on the Pacers since the beginning of training camp, but I heard similar stuff about Jeff P last off season as well, so we will see.
    Why so SERIOUS