Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    = 1. drive right
    2. punch defender in face with left hand.
    3. throw up righthanded shot from hip.
    I have serious doubts that Tyler learned how to use his left hand in one offseason. I doubt he'll ever be able to use it. He isn't going to get better.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...-training-camp

West sounds like he's going to have a great season! He really was a different player the final 2 months of the season and in the playoffs than he was most of the year, if we have late season West all year long we're in for a great year of Pacers basketball!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Most teams don't have great defensive 2nd units, so I'm not too concerned. I think the bench is going to be really, really fun to watch.
    This is what I was thinking. Most teams aren't going to have a bench that can really play defense that well. The Bulls might be the only ones who could call their bench defense a strength. If Green, DJ, and Lance can be as dynamic as these reports make them sound, we won't have to worry about their defense.

What's really strange is that I honestly don't know what to expect from this team, as far as playoffs or ceiling. I like the guys we retained as starters, and the guys we added for the bench. But I'm very skeptical that it's going to be enough to unseat Miami - and we'll have New York and Brooklyn and Atlanta to deal with as well. And who knows what Chicago will be without Rose. Lots of optimism, but lots of questions.

Someone start the season already.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Yes, the bench basically has a good starting PG coupled with aggressive scorers. They should be really good with Ian in the middle on D.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Yes, the bench basically has a good starting PG coupled with aggressive scorers. They should be really good with Ian in the middle on D.
    I agree. And I think the main concern with the bench was improving the ability to guard against the pick and roll. I heard that mentioned several times. I think Ian and Miles were brought in specifically for that reason.

Mood

Ian was known to be foul-prone before. If he's having to cover for a lineup of average-to-bad defenders, that could be a real issue. Unless Miles is ready for some real time; if so, you can have 3 centers.

If Miles isn't ready to play this season, then there is jus tno hope for him. He is already 24.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    Too bad the Heat left footprints on the moon..

:halo:
    That's a great response. And a bit true too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Ian was known to be foul-prone before. If he's having to cover for a lineup of average-to-bad defenders, that could be a real issue. Unless Miles is ready for some real time; if so, you can have 3 centers.
    Hes been improving on that every year though. Not unfair to expect Ian to have improved further.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    If Miles isn't ready to play this season, then there is jus tno hope for him. He is already 24.
    He can't even legally rent a car yet. Though I agree it's crucial for him to show SOMETHING this season (since we used a 1st rd pick on him) he's got some time to learn and improve while playing behind a few veteran players.

I think preseason will give us a BIT of an idea of what he can bring to the court..if anything

24 is ridiculously old for an NBA rookie.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    He can't even legally rent a car yet.
    Actually he can, it is the companies who have set the 25 years old limit not the government.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It might be old, but at the same time having that much more maturity than other guys starting in the league at 18, which will help him with the lifestyle of the NBA (I'm looking at you Hassan Whiteside). He should be able to work his way into a better role by the end of his rookie deal, which puts him at about 28 and at the beginning of the prime of his career. Plus, he's athletic and big. They don't grow on trees. I really like the pick even if it isn't a "swing for the fences" type of pick.

I look forward to a long career for him as a rotational big. Every team would love to get a rotational big with a late first round pick, let alone a player that will be on their roster for more than their rookie contract as end of bench fodder. I really like the pick.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Dude can't play anyone with half a brain saw that in the 8 years (seemed like it lol) at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Dude can't play anyone with half a brain saw that in the 8 years (seemed like it lol) at Duke.
    I agree with you, I'm just saying if he doesn't magically become better this year, then it's not going to happen at all. I mean think how much crap Hansbrough took for his age coming out of UNC and he was actually younger than Miles and a much more accomplished player.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

I agree with you, I'm just saying if he doesn't magically become better this year, then it's not going to happen at all. I mean think how much crap Hansbrough took for his age coming out of UNC and he was actually younger than Miles and a much more accomplished player.
    No kidding this isn't like JO who was a 7 year vetern when he was 24. Miles did nothing year in and year out in college. I still don't see what NBA skill he has very soft and plays weak. If Miles was 18 or 19 and just stunk it up one year in college I could at least get the logic(I still wouldn't agree much). Miles is Andre Drummond w/o the defense and poential so pretty much all he brings is 6 fouls IMO unless a miracle happens. Conrad Brunner had me rolling the other day on the Dakich show mocking the pick it was lol.

24 is ridiculously old for an NBA rookie.
    Don't tell that to Pablo Prigioni.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

No kidding this isn't like JO who was a 7 year vetern when he was 24. Miles did nothing year in and year out in college. I still don't see what NBA skill he has very soft and plays weak. If Miles was 18 or 19 and just stunk it up one year in college I could at least get the logic(I still wouldn't agree much). Miles is Andre Drummond w/o the defense and poential so pretty much all he brings is 6 fouls IMO unless a miracle happens. Conrad Brunner had me rolling the other day on the Dakich show mocking the pick it was lol.
    Well, Miles at least is halfway intelligent. He has that going for him, even if it doesnt help on the court.

Drummond is as dumb as they get.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Mood

You can rarely ever count on a rookie. That's all I'm saying. Jeff Foster had no role on the 2000 team.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

J7F

More accomplished obviously, but I saw Miles do more legit NBA type moves in summer league than I've seen throughout Tyler's entire 3 years here. Miles showed nice form on his jumper, he put the ball on the floor without walking (seemed like really good footwork for a big), showed a nice running hook which will be impossible to block with his size and athleticism. I'm not sure if he can do all this versus NBA comp, but I hold at hope.

I have some questions about his aggressiveness on the boards and defense like others, but I like what I've seen so far. If we can just turn him into 15-20 mpg backup, the versatility he'd bring to our frontcourt could be very helpful.

I'm not seeing the comparison. Miles showed decent form on his jumper, good footwork, and finished with force on offense. You can tell he's been well coached. Drummond, while looking great defensively, looks like a train wreck on offense, and he looks soft a charmin around the rim. Some of the shots he threw up had me in tears.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Figured I'd just add this here rather than making a new thread for it.

http://www.indycornrows.com/2012/10/...n-in-scrimmage

Fun little feel-good read. Only question I had was about Danny not playing in this team scrimmage. But, I'm guessing he played in the first half and was out in the second half because they're trying to go easy on his knee.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    I'm not seeing the comparison. Miles showed decent form on his jumper, good footwork, and finished with force on offense. You can tell he's been well coached. Drummond, while looking great defensively, looks like a train wreck on offense, and he looks soft a charmin around the rim. Some of the shots he threw up had me in tears.
    About Plumlee's jumpshot.....according to IndyCornRows:

- Rookie Miles Plumlee is plenty big and active to help when needed in the front court. I wish someone would've warned me about his jumper. Scared the hell out of me, kind of like Elaine dancing on Seinfeld. But, he made the first shot I saw him take, a baseline 17-footer. Billy Keller worked with Plumlee after practice and he did make a bunch of shots although they appeared to defy physics with that form.
    Just to give you an idea about Plumlee's jumpshot looks like ( according to IndyCornRows ), here is a point of reference:

I'm trying to figure out how Plumlee can properly shoot the ball while kicking his feet out like that
    Last edited by CableKC; 10-06-2012 at 02:10 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    About Plumlee's jumpshot.....according to IndyCornRows:

Just to give you an idea about Plumlee's jumpshot looks like ( according to IndyCornRows ), here is a point of reference:

I'm trying to figure out how Plumlee can properly shoot the ball while kicking his feet out like that
    lol... ok maybe it's not perfect form, but he shot it with confidence, he had good rotation on the ball, and it went in. That's all that matters. He's clearly a much more polished offensive player than Drummond. Drummond will be a force defensively, but he looks like another Ben Wallace on offense.

Clearly P4E thinks he's worthless, but I'm not seeing it. I think he can play in this league. I'm not concerned with his college numbers. People that get paid to evaluate our players liked him, that's enough for me. I don't pretend to act like I know more than they do.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Based on his game, I do expect him to be better than Tyler. He has hops and fairly strong guy...and will get up on the rim on occasion. Man, I need a new avatar...

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post: