Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

Default Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

Mike Wells
    Indianapolis Star
    http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/

Here are some tidbits from the first day of practice:

–The starters picked up where they left off last season. It was like they played Game 6 against Miami two days ago. That’s how well they clicked together on the court. And before you say Miami beat the Pacers in that game, just know the Pacers outscored the Heat by 58 in the series when they had all five starters on the court together.

–Lance Stephenson definitely worked on his jump shot during the offseason. He’s shooting it with a lot more confidence instead of pounding the ball into the ground trying to beat his man off the dribble.

–George Hill is looking to assert himself even more on offense. He made sure everybody was involved in the offense, but he also picked his spots to be aggressive.

–Gerald Green is more than a leaper. He’s got a nice looking jump shot. Expect him to be the focal point of the offense with the second unit.

–Speaking of the second unit, D.J. Augustin will make sure the offense runs smooth in the second unit. He was thinking pass first when they scrimmaged in the halfcourt. Augustin started 142 of the 282 games he played with the Charlotte Bobcats.

–I’d be shocked if Sam Young didn’t make the roster. Coach Frank Vogel put Young with the starters when they shut Danny Granger down for the final hour or so of practice to rest his left knee. The main reason Vogel put Young with the starters is because he wants the second unit – Augustin, Green, Lance Stephenson, Tyler Hansbrough and Ian Mahinmi – to play together as much as possible. Still, the Pacers like Young’s toughness.

–Pacers PR ace David Benner made sure to point out that he didn’t see Blake Ahearn miss a shot during a workout last week. It’s not often that I agree with my guy Benner, who I must say is one of the best in the league at his job, but he was right. I only saw Ahearn miss two shots during the morning and evening practice sessions. He’s competing with Sundiata Gaines to be the third point guard on the roster.

–Vogel did a lot of talk about “what playoff teams” do when they were going through different drills. Tuesday was just the start. He’ll remind his team that throughout the entire season.

–The Pacers will practice twice Wednesday, once Thursday, twice Friday and likely only once Saturday.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

2. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

Right where we left off...that's music to my ears.

If healthy we'll probably have a strong start to the season.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Also good to hear that Granger can practice, even if limited. Guess his injury really isn't serious.

Like everyone else, I'm excited about Gerald Green. Talent was never his issue. Hope he's really found his game.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Right where we left off...that's music to my ears.

If healthy we'll probably have a strong start to the season.
    Yeah. On paper, our talent level isn't that great, but IMO chemistry accounted for a big part of our success last year. Not unreasonable to think it would carry over.

So pumped.

The sky is the limit for this team.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    The sky is the limit for this team.
    Too bad the Heat left footprints on the moon..

:halo:
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    Too bad the Heat left footprints on the moon..

:halo:

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to glazedham42 For This Useful Post:

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glazedham42 View Post
    I can't wait for October 12. Even the pre-season is exciting!
    Last edited by NapTonius Monk; 10-03-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pacer's have an excellent starting unit that should be even better this year. That is no secret. Augustin running the offense and not looking to score is good news. He is a miserable shooter (except oddly enough he does hit the 3 at a half decent clip). I am trusting that the Pacers made good acquisitions for the bench. If so, they are going to seriously challenge for the Central Division title. And have a shot at dethroning the Heat, maybe a long shot, but a shot.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post:

Im loving this. Team is focused and no longer fooling around. Vogel has also changed in a great way.
    He was more of a fan his first year in a half. Team is hungry and wants more success. Something I
    want from my team. Team knows what it has to do to get it done.

By me ^^

I'm rooting for Ahearn to make the team we need a deadly shooter ala Novak!

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacemaker View Post
    I'm rooting for Ahearn to make the team we need a deadly shooter ala Novak!
    I really think Gerald Green is going to be our reliable perimeter assassin.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If the second team consists of DJ,Lance,Green,Tyler and Manhimi, isn't it a bit weak defensively?I'm talking especially about the 2 guards and Tyler.That's on paper of course and if he plans to have that team coming off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    If the second team consists of DJ,Lance,Green,Tyler and Manhimi, isn't it a bit weak defensively?I'm talking especially about the 2 guards and Tyler.That's on paper of course and if he plans to have that team coming off the bench.
    Yes, it is.

One way to instantly fix that is to replace Lance with Sam Young who is a very good perimeter defender.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

More from Wells, for what it's worth.

What I’ve like about Green so far – other than his dunks – is his outside shot. The same goes for Stephenson. He’s shooting the ball like he knows he’s going to make it. He’s also playing under control.
    link

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Mahinmi is the only one who can play good defense and he easily picks up fouls... I don't believe our bench will look the same at the end of the season

More from Montieth
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/impro...-pacers-growth
    Former team president Larry Bird had decided to take him with the 11th pick, but Charlotte intercepted him at No. 9. Augustin's agent had told him when the eighth selection came up that he was going to the Pacers. The tap on the shoulder from Charlotte president Michael Jordan came as a shock, because the Bobcats had not worked him out before the draft.
    Hansbrough is said to have sharpened his skills, adding a left hand to his offensive game.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to MvPlumlee For This Useful Post:

It sounds like we'll need our second unit to answer scores with more scores rather than slowing teams down.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    It sounds like we'll need our second unit to answer scores with more scores rather than slowing teams down.
    I think that what Day 2 in Training Camp should ease your concerns about scoring off the bench:

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/

Pacers: Just a little more bench talk

2:51 PM, Oct. 03, 2012 | Written by Mike Wells | 0 Comments

Lance Stephenson runs drills during the Pacers rookie/ free agent camp on Thursday, July 5, at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Chet Strange / The Star

I thought we were done talking about the second unit until at least the first preseason game next season.

Coach Frank Vogel changed my thought process after practice today.

Vogel, unsolicited, couldn’t stop gushing about Gerald Green and Lance Stephenson playing together with the second unit.

Vogel raved about the duo’s athleticism and their ability to get to the basket in the open court. He feels very confident that they won’t have a problem scoring with those two in the game.

I got an up close look at Green’s athleticism during practice Tuesday when he snuck along the baseline and caught an oop from D.J. Augustin for a dunk. It was like Green, a former dunk champion, paused in the air to wait for the ball to catch up to him before dunking it in.

What I’ve like about Green so far – other than his dunks – is his outside shot. The same goes for Stephenson. He’s shooting the ball like he knows he’s going to make it. He’s also playing under control.

Of course this is only practice. But if the past few days have been any indication, you won’t have anything to worry about offensively with the bench.

Green and Stephenson’s defense, however, is a different story.

We’ll save that for another day.
    My guess is that Wells saw your post and decided to ease your concerns
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Actually, it was the opposite; I had read his blog and that drove me to consider that the bench probably isn't going to be good defensively, but they might have the relative amount of firepower needed to answer with more buckets if/when the opposing team scores on them. They just need to break even when they're out there; our starters will be responsible for building leads.

One upside to our bench trying to run with other teams is that those teams will be expending more energy. So if they try to use their starters against our bench our starters can rejoin the game fresh going against tired legs

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Actually, it was the opposite; I had read his blog and that drove me to consider that the bench probably isn't going to be good defensively, but they might have the relative amount of firepower needed to answer with more buckets if/when the opposing team scores on them. They just need to break even when they're out there; our starters will be responsible for building leads.
    And I'm ok with that. Completely ok. Last season the second unit defense was shaky, but they couldn't score at all! If the Pacers have the lead, bench comes in and matches point for point, I'd call that a victory over what we saw last season.

Hopefully other teams benches won't be as solid, so they won't be able to score as well as our bench.

Again, all this is practice talk...but I do think it will carry over!
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Most teams don't have great defensive 2nd units, so I'm not too concerned. I think the bench is going to be really, really fun to watch.

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    I really think Gerald Green is going to be our reliable perimeter assassin.
    Gotta say, I'm really curious to see what he can do with our team. Excited might be a better word, as I saw more than a few Nets games this past season (fantasy purposes and all, don't bash me) and he really stepped up and improved his game. Everyone and his mother know he's a high flying, uber athletic dude, but he has developed a smooth jump shot...ok, nothing Ray Allen-esque, but that's a rare combination you look for in a starter, and we can say we have it coming off the bench.

Assuming he keeps it up, and that would be very important because his bench scoring is absolutely needed, it's gonna be an interesting spot to keep an eye on, indeed.

After the opener here in my country, I can't wait for NBA preseason. Yeah, I'm that basketball doped

My hope is that the second unit gives good effort on defense, even if it isn't particularly good on defense. I think that for the Pacers to be a good defensive team (and they need to be a good defensive team), everyone who plays needs to give good effort on defense.

Or, hopefully, to make other teams answer our 2nd units own scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by MvPlumlee View Post
    More from Montieth
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/impro...-pacers-growth

Hansbrough is said to have sharpened his skills, adding a left hand to his offensive game.
    = 1. drive right
    2. punch defender in face with left hand.
    3. throw up righthanded shot from hip.

38. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post: