Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 64

Thread: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Batman's New Side Kick Psyren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,596

    Default Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    Mike Wells
    Indianapolis Star
    http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/

    Here are some tidbits from the first day of practice:

    –The starters picked up where they left off last season. It was like they played Game 6 against Miami two days ago. That’s how well they clicked together on the court. And before you say Miami beat the Pacers in that game, just know the Pacers outscored the Heat by 58 in the series when they had all five starters on the court together.

    –Lance Stephenson definitely worked on his jump shot during the offseason. He’s shooting it with a lot more confidence instead of pounding the ball into the ground trying to beat his man off the dribble.

    –George Hill is looking to assert himself even more on offense. He made sure everybody was involved in the offense, but he also picked his spots to be aggressive.

    –Gerald Green is more than a leaper. He’s got a nice looking jump shot. Expect him to be the focal point of the offense with the second unit.

    –Speaking of the second unit, D.J. Augustin will make sure the offense runs smooth in the second unit. He was thinking pass first when they scrimmaged in the halfcourt. Augustin started 142 of the 282 games he played with the Charlotte Bobcats.

    –I’d be shocked if Sam Young didn’t make the roster. Coach Frank Vogel put Young with the starters when they shut Danny Granger down for the final hour or so of practice to rest his left knee. The main reason Vogel put Young with the starters is because he wants the second unit – Augustin, Green, Lance Stephenson, Tyler Hansbrough and Ian Mahinmi – to play together as much as possible. Still, the Pacers like Young’s toughness.

    –Pacers PR ace David Benner made sure to point out that he didn’t see Blake Ahearn miss a shot during a workout last week. It’s not often that I agree with my guy Benner, who I must say is one of the best in the league at his job, but he was right. I only saw Ahearn miss two shots during the morning and evening practice sessions. He’s competing with Sundiata Gaines to be the third point guard on the roster.

    –Vogel did a lot of talk about “what playoff teams” do when they were going through different drills. Tuesday was just the start. He’ll remind his team that throughout the entire season.

    –The Pacers will practice twice Wednesday, once Thursday, twice Friday and likely only once Saturday.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

  2. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  3. #2

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    Right where we left off...that's music to my ears.

    If healthy we'll probably have a strong start to the season.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,246

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    Also good to hear that Granger can practice, even if limited. Guess his injury really isn't serious.

    Like everyone else, I'm excited about Gerald Green. Talent was never his issue. Hope he's really found his game.

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Right where we left off...that's music to my ears.

    If healthy we'll probably have a strong start to the season.
    Yeah. On paper, our talent level isn't that great, but IMO chemistry accounted for a big part of our success last year. Not unreasonable to think it would carry over.

  6. #4
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,300

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    So pumped.

    The sky is the limit for this team.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,517

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The sky is the limit for this team.
    Too bad the Heat left footprints on the moon..

    :halo:
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    378

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Too bad the Heat left footprints on the moon..

    :halo:

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to glazedham42 For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Get well PG! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,764

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    Quote Originally Posted by glazedham42 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't wait for October 12. Even the pre-season is exciting!
    Last edited by QuickRelease; 10-03-2012 at 12:17 PM.

  13. #8

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Too bad the Heat left footprints on the moon..

    :halo:
    That's a great response. And a bit true too.

  14. #9
    Member WhoLovesYaBaby?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    601
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    The Pacer's have an excellent starting unit that should be even better this year. That is no secret. Augustin running the offense and not looking to score is good news. He is a miserable shooter (except oddly enough he does hit the 3 at a half decent clip). I am trusting that the Pacers made good acquisitions for the bench. If so, they are going to seriously challenge for the Central Division title. And have a shot at dethroning the Heat, maybe a long shot, but a shot.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post:


  16. #10

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    Im loving this. Team is focused and no longer fooling around. Vogel has also changed in a great way.
    He was more of a fan his first year in a half. Team is hungry and wants more success. Something I
    want from my team. Team knows what it has to do to get it done.


    By me ^^

  17. #11
    Member Pacemaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    1,901

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    I'm rooting for Ahearn to make the team we need a deadly shooter ala Novak!

  18. #12
    #RiseOfTheKing imbtyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Nashville, IN
    Posts
    1,631
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacemaker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm rooting for Ahearn to make the team we need a deadly shooter ala Novak!
    I really think Gerald Green is going to be our reliable perimeter assassin.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.



  19. #13
    Member Marlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    28
    Posts
    891

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really think Gerald Green is going to be our reliable perimeter assassin.
    Gotta say, I'm really curious to see what he can do with our team. Excited might be a better word, as I saw more than a few Nets games this past season (fantasy purposes and all, don't bash me) and he really stepped up and improved his game. Everyone and his mother know he's a high flying, uber athletic dude, but he has developed a smooth jump shot...ok, nothing Ray Allen-esque, but that's a rare combination you look for in a starter, and we can say we have it coming off the bench.

    Assuming he keeps it up, and that would be very important because his bench scoring is absolutely needed, it's gonna be an interesting spot to keep an eye on, indeed.

    After the opener here in my country, I can't wait for NBA preseason. Yeah, I'm that basketball doped

  20. #14
    Member Johanvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    3,231

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    If the second team consists of DJ,Lance,Green,Tyler and Manhimi, isn't it a bit weak defensively?I'm talking especially about the 2 guards and Tyler.That's on paper of course and if he plans to have that team coming off the bench.

  21. #15

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the second team consists of DJ,Lance,Green,Tyler and Manhimi, isn't it a bit weak defensively?I'm talking especially about the 2 guards and Tyler.That's on paper of course and if he plans to have that team coming off the bench.
    Mahinmi is the only one who can play good defense and he easily picks up fouls... I don't believe our bench will look the same at the end of the season

    More from Montieth
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/impro...-pacers-growth
    Former team president Larry Bird had decided to take him with the 11th pick, but Charlotte intercepted him at No. 9. Augustin's agent had told him when the eighth selection came up that he was going to the Pacers. The tap on the shoulder from Charlotte president Michael Jordan came as a shock, because the Bobcats had not worked him out before the draft.
    Hansbrough is said to have sharpened his skills, adding a left hand to his offensive game.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to MvPlumlee For This Useful Post:


  23. #16
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    Quote Originally Posted by MvPlumlee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    More from Montieth
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/impro...-pacers-growth

    Hansbrough is said to have sharpened his skills, adding a left hand to his offensive game.
    = 1. drive right
    2. punch defender in face with left hand.
    3. throw up righthanded shot from hip.

  24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:


  25. #17
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,300

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    = 1. drive right
    2. punch defender in face with left hand.
    3. throw up righthanded shot from hip.
    I have serious doubts that Tyler learned how to use his left hand in one offseason. I doubt he'll ever be able to use it. He isn't going to get better.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  26. #18
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,952
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...-training-camp

    West sounds like he's going to have a great season! He really was a different player the final 2 months of the season and in the playoffs than he was most of the year, if we have late season West all year long we're in for a great year of Pacers basketball!

  27. #19
    Batman's New Side Kick Psyren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the second team consists of DJ,Lance,Green,Tyler and Manhimi, isn't it a bit weak defensively?I'm talking especially about the 2 guards and Tyler.That's on paper of course and if he plans to have that team coming off the bench.
    Yes, it is.

    One way to instantly fix that is to replace Lance with Sam Young who is a very good perimeter defender.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

  28. #20
    Member pacergod2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,885
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    It might be old, but at the same time having that much more maturity than other guys starting in the league at 18, which will help him with the lifestyle of the NBA (I'm looking at you Hassan Whiteside). He should be able to work his way into a better role by the end of his rookie deal, which puts him at about 28 and at the beginning of the prime of his career. Plus, he's athletic and big. They don't grow on trees. I really like the pick even if it isn't a "swing for the fences" type of pick.

    I look forward to a long career for him as a rotational big. Every team would love to get a rotational big with a late first round pick, let alone a player that will be on their roster for more than their rookie contract as end of bench fodder. I really like the pick.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:


  30. #21

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    More from Wells, for what it's worth.

    What I’ve like about Green so far – other than his dunks – is his outside shot. The same goes for Stephenson. He’s shooting the ball like he knows he’s going to make it. He’s also playing under control.
    link

  31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:


  32. #22
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    It sounds like we'll need our second unit to answer scores with more scores rather than slowing teams down.

  33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  34. #23
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,561

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It sounds like we'll need our second unit to answer scores with more scores rather than slowing teams down.
    I think that what Day 2 in Training Camp should ease your concerns about scoring off the bench:

    http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/

    Pacers: Just a little more bench talk

    2:51 PM, Oct. 03, 2012 | Written by Mike Wells | 0 Comments

    Lance Stephenson runs drills during the Pacers rookie/ free agent camp on Thursday, July 5, at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Chet Strange / The Star

    I thought we were done talking about the second unit until at least the first preseason game next season.

    Coach Frank Vogel changed my thought process after practice today.

    Vogel, unsolicited, couldn’t stop gushing about Gerald Green and Lance Stephenson playing together with the second unit.

    Vogel raved about the duo’s athleticism and their ability to get to the basket in the open court. He feels very confident that they won’t have a problem scoring with those two in the game.

    I got an up close look at Green’s athleticism during practice Tuesday when he snuck along the baseline and caught an oop from D.J. Augustin for a dunk. It was like Green, a former dunk champion, paused in the air to wait for the ball to catch up to him before dunking it in.

    What I’ve like about Green so far – other than his dunks – is his outside shot. The same goes for Stephenson. He’s shooting the ball like he knows he’s going to make it. He’s also playing under control.

    Of course this is only practice. But if the past few days have been any indication, you won’t have anything to worry about offensively with the bench.


    Green and Stephenson’s defense, however, is a different story.

    We’ll save that for another day.
    My guess is that Wells saw your post and decided to ease your concerns
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  36. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,730

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It sounds like we'll need our second unit to answer scores with more scores rather than slowing teams down.
    Or, hopefully, to make other teams answer our 2nd units own scoring.

  37. #25
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Pacers Camp: Day One (Wells)

    Actually, it was the opposite; I had read his blog and that drove me to consider that the bench probably isn't going to be good defensively, but they might have the relative amount of firepower needed to answer with more buckets if/when the opposing team scores on them. They just need to break even when they're out there; our starters will be responsible for building leads.

Similar Threads

  1. Mike Wells: 5 questions heading into training camp
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-27-2010, 09:08 PM
  2. Week 2 of Training Camp [Wells Blog]
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 03:55 PM
  3. Mike Wells: no truth to the Bonzi Wells rumors
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 01:08 PM
  4. Mike Wells: Pacers Q&A 12-03-05
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-06-2005, 10:08 AM
  5. Pacers.com> Key Issues Facing Pacers Entering Camp
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 02:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •