Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are we expecting from Tyler this year?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What are we expecting from Tyler this year?

I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

To settle into his Greg Kite goon role.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I'm done discussing it. We'll see.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Effectively handing towels to Jeff Pendergraph.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm expecting Tyler to be a nice 4 Mil dollar expiring contract to be shopped around the league along with a combination of other servicable players to a contender in the West for a 1st rounder and a garbage expiring.

He's good enough to help a team out off the bench late in the year and in limited minutes in the playoffs. A team desperate enough for some depth might give up a first for Tyler and DJ if Lance has matured his game enough where he can help out at point and Young, Green/Plumlee are able to pick up the slack at the vacated SG and PF Minutes. I like DJ so far, but if we can steal somebodies first, knowing he and Tyler won't be re-signed next year. We gotta do that... Especially with D-Wests contract looming.

Just my take...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Everything he was coming into the NBA has been scouted and contained. He has to be a better midrange shooter and rebounder. Defensively he has to rotate quicker.

I say he becomes a better shooter and that is it. And that is not what we need alone.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

To hit his 15'-18' shot at a much better efficiency. To block out his man and rebound better. To hopefully pass the ball and find a way to average 3 assist per 40 minutes. To be a beast in the paint more often. To slam the rock with attitude, like he did on Amare. To take advantage of every minute played like a veteran and not a one dimensional black hole.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

I hope his leash is short. Lance never really gets a chance, yet Tyler is trotted out like he's earned it. He's played pretty bad.

I would rather see Plumlee just for the fact that he can rebound. Green, Lance and DJ will score for the second unit, so a black hole guy like Tyler isn't really needed.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Coaches can also travel to meet with the players. Players shouldn't feel like they have to be in Indy year round. I know they cover what they want players to work on during the exit interviews. They probably provide them film too, I'd hope. Then it's just a matter of periodically meeting with the players to see how they're doing. Or sometimes the team goes the extra mile like when the Pacers brought in Bill Walton to tutor Roy. There's no reason things like that can't happen in North Carolina if that's where Tyler wants to spend his summers.
    It's not expected at all. I think Vogel was pretty clear on that.

However if a young player really needs to improve to create a future in the league, than giving up vacationing in the summer to workout with specific coaches is what it takes. That's the difference between successful players and the guys who seem to flounder.

You can bet Derrick Rose's summer before his MVP season wasn't a vacation. He spent the summer in california with one of the best off-season coaches in the country. Rose new that down the line when he wants to party in cancun, or LA or wherever he would have the opportunity, but at such a young age he was out to prove himself, and he did.

(obviously the point of that story wasn't a comparison between Tyler and Rose's talent, but their work ethic)

I wouldn't blame Tyler either if he didn't want to work out all summer with Vogel. However, I know what I would do if I was in danger of losing a roster spot..
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Banned

I have a feeling that Tyler is going to come out kicking some a**, he is finally going to have a point guard that can actually pass the ball, how many times we saw where he was by himself under the rim and never got the ball? Tyler is also pretty good at running down the court with the point guard but as always he never got the ball, I expect Augustin to make Tyler a better player, he better get ready because some passes are going to hit him in the face.

I have almost zero expectations for Tyler this year.

In some ways, I'm hoping my little tiny contribution might allow him to actually play up to his capabilities.

I think he choked under expectations... remember, some had him listed as MIP and 6th man of the year last year heading into the season?

If he doesn't produce this year, his future in the NBA is in serious jeopardy. So, I think we'll see a closer representation of what we actually have with him this year.

Sink or swim time, Tyler. But I for one, have no expectations.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really like Tyler, a whole lot actually. I love his hustle. I love his aggressiveness and toughness. I think he actually moves pretty well without the ball as well. I just think he doesn't always make the smart play. Is he trying to prove too much by taking every shot that hits his hands or what? I'm not sure where his head is at to be honest. Does he think that passing to his teammates is a weakness? Does he think that he can dunk over anybody in the NBA? I don't know.

I broke down Tyler a week or two ago, but there are a couple of things I would like to see from him in condensed form:

Ball movement
    More arc on his jump shot
    Passing out of the post when he gets in trouble
    Don't get too far under the basket with the ball in his hands
    Waiting for the pick to be set before he rolls (a lot of that was on Collison setting up picks)
    Roll to the basket more instead of settling forthe jumper
    Set more post to post picks

OK... so I think Tyler could see a lot of improvement in his game due to Augustin being a better PG. DC did not do a very good job of setting up or defending pick and rolls. I don't know why the two of them couldn't get on the same page. I think Hans could be an elite pick setter in the NBA. He just is too focused on getting his shot from 17 feet than setting up the rest of the team.

I tell you that we can get what we got last year from Tyler right now from Pendergraph, with someone who will finish around the rim. If Hansborough doesn't seem to grow as a player, then I'd rather see Pendergraph earlier in the season. I think I'd even like to see some minutes from Plumlee if it continues.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    However if a young player really needs to improve to create a future in the league, than giving up vacationing in the summer to workout with specific coaches is what it takes. That's the difference between successful players and the guys who seem to flounder.
    Oy. So now he's "vacationing" in NC instead of putting in hard work? I just don't get why people like to assume the worst about players. Especially not when the player has a proven history of success.

What it comes down to is that we don't know how Tyler spent his summer. I prefer to have faith in Tyler and Vogel's coaching staff until I see differently. There's no good reason not to. Time will tell whether they accomplished anything or not. I'd rather wait and see the results instead of jumping on the hate bandwagon. (Of course, even if he doesn't improve, I'm not going to hate him or the coaches or the front office. That's just silly.)

We should have our answer fairly soon. And if we see improvement then we'll have to be patient to see if he can sustain it throughout the season. Hopefully he'll turn into a solid, consistent player that will make all of us happy.

Oy. So now he's "vacationing" in NC instead of putting in hard work? I just don't get why people like to assume the worst about players. Especially not when the player has a proven history of success.

What it comes down to is that we don't know how Tyler spent his summer. I prefer to have faith in Tyler and Vogel's coaching staff until I see differently. There's no good reason not to. Time will tell whether they accomplished anything or not. I'd rather wait and see the results instead of jumping on the hate bandwagon. (Of course, even if he doesn't improve, I'm not going to hate him or the coaches or the front office. That's just silly.)

We should have our answer fairly soon. And if we see improvement then we'll have to be patient to see if he can sustain it throughout the season. Hopefully he'll turn into a solid, consistent player that will make all of us happy.
    I'm not hating chill. lol
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Needs to make open jumpers this year for starters.. Missed many open looks last season.

Mood

I'm on the fence about him. If he is smart, he will improve his rebounding, defense, and FG%. Because he is in a contract year. His next contract depends on what he does now. Which is no news to anyone here.

The alternative is that he loses minutes and sits the bench. Possibly he is trade bait because of his expiring deal.

I prefer to think that he is smart and improves this year. At least I hope so. If he improves and plays like he did against the Bulls 2 years ago, we will have a very potent bench.

Mood

It is for sure that the coaching staff isn't stupid. They know Hans weaknesses and you can bet they are trying to rectify them. If they can't, he will sit and someone else will play.

I expect the same predictable robotic movements down in the post and getting called for traveling alot, but obviously I hope he shows me that I'm wrong.
    Fire up that tank and drive it to the lottery then to the draft

Not much.

Mood

Coaches can also travel to meet with the players. Players shouldn't feel like they have to be in Indy year round. I know they cover what they want players to work on during the exit interviews. They probably provide them film too, I'd hope. Then it's just a matter of periodically meeting with the players to see how they're doing. Or sometimes the team goes the extra mile like when the Pacers brought in Bill Walton to tutor Roy. There's no reason things like that can't happen in North Carolina if that's where Tyler wants to spend his summers.
    I realize that. The overall point is - we don't know whether or not Tyler made himself available to our coaches over the summer or alternatively, if he has focused on the things emphasized in his exit interview. I would like to know those things before I place significant blame on the coaching staff for Tyler's lack of development this year (if indeed that is how it turns out). Best case scenario, he comes out looking good and makes all this discussion moot.

So I'll amend my statement to ask if someone on Twitter can ask Wells if Tyler worked out with Pacers coaches over the summer.

However, I do think that given what a disappointment Tyler has been so far, it would be better for him to stay in Indy where he could have complete access to his coaches for the entire summer, rather than having the coaches coming to him periodically. Really, it doesn't even have to be with our coaches, necessarily. There are other great coaches for hire out there. I just don't want him working with UNC coaches summer after summer since that approach hasn't worked so far (I acknowledge that we don't know that he has *only* worked with UNC coaches this summer. But we do know that he spends at least part of his summer with them). I wish we got more info about what the players are doing workout wise during the off-season.

Ugh, October always feels soooo long. I'm ready to stop speculating and start seeing how this is all going to play out on the court!
    Last edited by gummy; 10-03-2012 at 03:30 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

I'd be happy if he "accidentally" broke Dunleavy's nose for that childish crap Dun pulled last season.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JEM View Post
    Needs to make open jumpers this year for starters.. Missed many open looks last season.
    If you average his 3 seasons in the NBA, his eFG% on jump shots is .341 for his career. Last season he finished with an eFG% on jump shots of .326, which is not hugely different from his career average.

He's open for a reason.

Those missed looks last season were not some startling new development that can be attributed to a bad year. At some point, you have to call a spade, a spade. He isn't a good shooter. He takes a ton of shots, and some of them go in, but that doesn't make him a good shooter. Defenses leave him open, because they know it is unlikely he's going to make it anyway. If he was a smart player, he would stop shooting so much, but he won't, because that's all he's ever known.

I'm hoping he's improved his relationship with God, so that at least when he's rooted to the ground under the basket, and he flings those horrid one-handed, over-the-shoulder prayers, that seem destined to break the backboard, more of them actually get answered and go in.

Obviously, I have extremely high hopes.

http://www.82games.com/1112/11IND10.HTM
    http://www.82games.com/1011/10IND11.HTM
    http://www.82games.com/0910/09IND10.HTM

I saw Psycho T and his brother at Champs downtown tonight.

Croshere didn't sound optimistic about him on the Grady show today.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Gotta Play Big

I think we will see him in a new uniform soon. While he is my avatar, I'm not a big fan so I'm fine with that. I was hoping he would turn out to be Jeff Foster plus good offense, but I was sorely disappointed. I expected him to be money from midrange, but quite frankly I didn't follow him in the NCAA's. He's not shown he can drain it...and unless that changes he needs to go. Plumlee will help more in the paint IMO.