Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are we expecting from Tyler this year?

Default What are we expecting from Tyler this year?

I was gone all summer, so I missed any updates. I assume he's healthy, since we haven't heard otherwise. Right now, I'm hoping for a 3-man big rotation (starters plus mahini) with Granger picking up some occasional PF minutes. Is there any reason to think he'll be better this year? He's gotten worse (or perhaps "solved") the longer he's been in the NBA.

Or am I being unreasonably pessimistic?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Default Re: What are we expecting from Tyler this year?

Dribble, Bull Rush, Charge...in that order

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Seriously though, I think he'll settle into a more defined role that fits him, and have better success.

He has to completely prove himself this year. As of now, I'm expecting more of what we got last year.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I thin we are too pessimistic about Hans based on a tough season of change. Lost his first real starting job in his career, lost his paint banging to Fosters' back and started being used very badly on defense. We had Hans setting PnR screens at the 3pt line, and on too many occasions getting the ball back from the runner outside the paint and with no time. Maybe if we go back to using him as DWest replacement and getting West's shots he can contribute to the team. If not, we need to move him to SF or trade him to a team where he can play his natural position, paint banger, rebounder, put back guy who draws fouls; JMO, of course.

I'm expecting big things out of Tyler. Cause Frank had faith that he could turn him around. So I'm gonna have faith that he did until I see otherwise. It's a good chance to see what the coaching staff is capable of.

"Tyler needs an offseason," Coach Frank Vogel said. "He's a guy I'd like to work with more than any player on our team this summer. With the motor that he has, if he ever develops the game, the skill-set, the moves and the counter-moves someone like David West has, really the sky's the limit for what he can do.

"Since he's been drafted he hasn't had an offseason to work with the coaching staff whether it's injuries or the lockout or whatever. He has a tremendous area for growth in terms of developing his skill set and his moves."
    link

So let's wait and see what new tricks Tyler has learned. And if we get the same old Tyler then we can all be disappointed. But if he's trying counter-moves and things we haven't seen from him before then we should all be encouraged.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

I think we are being a little rough on Tyler based on last year's performance. He lost his first starting job EVER, then lost his best paint mate when Foster went down. Under the revamped play calling we went to, Hans seemed to be used to set PnR screens above the 3 pt. line, giving him no shot. When the plays broke down from over dribbling, Hans got the ball back out of position and with no time to make a basketball move before shooting. Thus his average and confidence went down. Once you lose the confidence in the short jump shot, your game is easy to defend. Hoping he reverts back to his time as the Head Goon or the last starter and plays his game with confidence. If not, the Ps should start finding him a home he fits into. The last half of 2011, IMO, he had not place to fit into the Pacers offensive. Thoughts?

My expectations could not be lower.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lou Amundson?

@Pacers24Colts12

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My expectations could not be lower.
    Agreed
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Improvement. He's been taking a beating around here (rightfully so, he was awful all last season), and he doesn't seem like the type that just rolls over and dies. He seems like a worker. If he is willing to listen and work with the coaching staff, I think he could be a solid big off the bench. Frustrating at times to be sure, and his defense likely will be pretty poor, but I think he's better than what he showed last year.

Mood

I thought Vogel's quote about wanting to work with Tyler was interesting when I first saw it. But did coach actually get to work with him, or did he go back to NC as usual?

If he stayed in Indy and worked with our staff, I wouldn't be surprised to see some noticeable improvement.

If he didn't, I wouldn't be surprised to see more of the same.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

I would be happy to see an end of spazz-ball. I love to see him getting after it on the glass, but his head plays faster than his body can go on O. If he can consistently play under control and figure out when to kick it out faster, he might not cause quite the nausea I had every time he set foot on the court at the end of last year.

He's a PF who shoots 40% and is a poor rebounder if you take out rebounding his own misses. He has no counter moves, like Coach said. He doesn't read the offense or defense well, evident by the assist watch to start every season and watch his rotations, teammates cover for him often. He struggles against length on both sides of the ball. He plays aggressive, but not intuitive or with purpose or results.

He really only brings two things to the table 1.) he's physical and aggressive 2.) he gets to the line. This is the big leagues, you can't get by on just that.

PS how can you play all your life and have no ability to use your left hand around the basket. Its to the point I question whether he even works on his game very hard. He has better physical tools than his the skills he's developed.

It's harsh, but when you see a guy get figured out by opposing teams and then not add anything, it makes you wonder.

So ya, I'm not asking for much, but I'd like a PF who can rebound and shoot high 40s offensively.

Here's Tyler, going over his left shoulder with his right hand around the basket. Can hit 17 footer.

Last question, how can you be as aggressive and physical as he is an not be an offensive rebounding machine, sans his own misses.

Sorry its just really frustrating he doesn't improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    I'm expecting big things out of Tyler. Cause Frank had faith that he could turn him around. So I'm gonna have faith that he did until I see otherwise. It's a good chance to see what the coaching staff is capable of.

link

So let's wait and see what new tricks Tyler has learned. And if we get the same old Tyler then we can all be disappointed. But if he's trying counter-moves and things we haven't seen from him before then we should all be encouraged.
    Yeah, I'm just kinda waiting for an article that says he's done that. Show me one counter-move and I'll be hopeful.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

I thought he was on a commercial with Josh Smith but it looks like the commercial hired a white guy that looks like Tyler and has the Pacers jersey on, has anybody seen the commercial yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    PS how can you play all your life and have no ability to use your left hand around the basket. Its to the point I question whether he even works on his game very hard. He has better physical tools than his the skills he's developed.
    The man was college player of the year. That's not something they hand out to scrubs. He developed the skills he needed to succeed at that level. Now he's at a new level. I'd say the odds are that he'll develop the skills he needs to succeed at this level. Is it a certainty? Of course not, but I'm willing to give him a chance.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

I'm thinking he ends up losing his spot at some point this season.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I still can't believe he had such a poor season. He was going strong until he got hit in the head.

I'm hoping he finds his groove...it's a short leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Yeah, I'm just kinda waiting for an article that says he's done that. Show me one counter-move and I'll be hopeful.
    I agree, it would be nice if the local paper covered the team. Oh well. But we're so close to finding out if he's improved. We should know in ten days or less. So no real need to speculate. I'm going to assume that the coaching staff helped him work on the skills that he needs. Why wouldn't everyone assume that? I'm going to be hopeful until I have reason not to be.

Sports Logo

It could depend on if Plumlee is ready to backup Hibbert at the 5. That'll shift Mahinmi to the 4, which will eat into Tyler's minutes, especially if he plays like last season.

Mood

The man was college player of the year. That's not something they hand out to scrubs. He developed the skills he needed to succeed at that level. Now he's at a new level. I'd say the odds are that he'll develop the skills he needs to succeed at this level. Is it a certainty? Of course not, but I'm willing to give him a chance.
    Yeah, me too. However, the idea that he just needs time to adjust to the pro level was a lot more appealing after his first year and after his second year. If he hasn't improved overall this season, reasoning like this isn't going to fly at all this time next season.

I'm rooting for him. He's a Pacer. When he has those little flashes of very good, he's fun to watch. But at this point I am not expecting much and I'm glad we have some players on the bench that will be able to eat into his time if necessary.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

29. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    Yeah, me too. However, the idea that he just needs time to adjust to the pro level was a lot more appealing after his first year and after his second year. If he hasn't improved overall this season, reasoning like this isn't going to fly at all this time next season.
    But that's where I'd point to Vogel's quote. About this being the first chance that Tyler's gotten to work with the coaches over the summer. If Tyler doesn't improve then we may have to point our fingers at the coaches too.

I'm just hoping that watching West play game after game last season made a big impression on Tyler. West has the kind of game that Tyler needs to develop.

If Tyler doesn't improve this season, then I'm not expecting him to be back. There are better ways to spend the money. And personally I think Miles is a better long term option. I loved the quickness and length that he showed in the summer league. It's going to be fun to see how it plays out.

Mood

But that's where I'd point to Vogel's quote. About this being the first chance that Tyler's gotten to work with the coaches over the summer. If Tyler doesn't improve then we may have to point our fingers at the coaches too.

I'm just hoping that watching West play game after game last season made a big impression on Tyler. West has the kind of game that Tyler needs to develop.

If Tyler doesn't improve this season, then I'm not expecting him to be back. There are better ways to spend the money. And personally I think Miles is a better long term option. I loved the quickness and length that he showed in the summer league. It's going to be fun to see how it plays out.
    We don't actually know if Tyler did work with the Pacers' coaches over the summer. Vogel made it clear that he wanted to work with Tyler, but the team can't force a player to stay in Indy over the summer. If Tyler didn't spend some significant time working with team staff over the summer, that's on him.

West is absolutely the kind of player Tyler needs to model himself after. I hope it made an impression on him too.

Edit: Looks like he spent at least part of his time at Chapel Hill working out with the strength and conditioning coordinator there - that's what he has done in years past as well. http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=205562962

Maybe those of you who are on Twitter could ask Mike Wells if Tyler spent much time in Indy this summer.
    Last edited by gummy; 10-03-2012 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    Maybe those of you who are on Twitter could ask Mike Wells if Tyler spent much time in Indy this summer.
    Coaches can also travel to meet with the players. Players shouldn't feel like they have to be in Indy year round. I know they cover what they want players to work on during the exit interviews. They probably provide them film too, I'd hope. Then it's just a matter of periodically meeting with the players to see how they're doing. Or sometimes the team goes the extra mile like when the Pacers brought in Bill Walton to tutor Roy. There's no reason things like that can't happen in North Carolina if that's where Tyler wants to spend his summers.