Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 77

Thread: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

  1. #26
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,756

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    13 and 9 basically with 2 blocks isn't shabby either. His defense is way underrated on this board for some bizarre reason. I agree it's not a walk in the park for Roy to get back, but I also think he's the favorite for one of the 2 spots at the moment.
    And to think that last summer Vnlza thought Nene's 14/8 was good enough to get a max contract. Now Hibbert's 13/9 "aren't that great."

  2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    6,532

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roy is gonna have to compete against Bynum, Noah, Lopez, KG, Horford, Tyson Chandler, Varejao and Nene, out of those players you can count Bynum, Chandler and Noah as Roy's biggest competition with Nene, Horford, Lopez, Varejao and KG from the outside looking in depending of their teams records and how healthy they are.
    He made it last season over all of those guys, so idk see why he couldn't again. I think a huge wild card would be Horford who will probably be the number one option offensively for the Hawks. They may not win as many games, but if he puts up really good numbers, with Bosh playing C and Bynum already seeming to be crowned the best C in the east, Roy may be the odd man out.

    Outside of D. Wade and Joe Johnson, I'm struggling to think of other 2-guards that PG would have to challenge for that AS berth.

  4. #28
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,194

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just out of curiosity what makes it impossible for Roy to maybe win the fan vote? He has been in the national news this summer.
    That's not going to compete with the Miami Heat straight ticket voters or the Knick Connection. National news is good (especially when it is favorable), but it isn't the same as national hype. If Roy gets some highlights on ESPN slamming one down over Lopez or slapping it away from a driving LeBron, maybe. Stats alone just won't cut it with the fans who vote for the All-Star Game no matter how good they are, especially with teams essentially stuffing the ballot box with promotions and publicity (and, yeah, I hate when the Pacers do it, too.)
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  6. #29
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,501

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    I think Roy has more of a national presence than we realize. He's been in the news, was on Parks & Rec, made the all star team last year

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  7. #30
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,194

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And to think that last summer Vnlza thought Nene's 14/8 was good enough to get a max contract. Now Hibbert's 13/9 "aren't that great."
    My pool entry for the reply:

    Spoiler Spoiler:
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  9. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And to think that last summer Vnlza thought Nene's 14/8 was good enough to get a max contract. Now Hibbert's 13/9 "aren't that great."
    And Hibbert at 13/9 got the max .....

  10. #32
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,756

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And Hibbert at 13/9 got the max .....
    My point has nothing to do with the dollar amount they're being paid, but rather is that when a player you want puts up 14/8, the Pacers should do anything and everything to get their services and when a Pacer player puts up pretty much identical production, you're dismissive of the Pacer player.

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  12. #33
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,011
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    I want Paul George to be an All-Star as well. Roy may not be a guarantee, but I think he's got a better than even chance to return to the ASG. Two All Stars (Roy, PG), plus two former All Stars (Danny, West), plus one of the most well-rounded players in the league (Hill) making up our starting five? Yeah, that sounds good to me.

    Not that it hasn't been said, but I feel like the importance of the USA Select Team experience can't be understated for PG. He knew his performance in the playoffs wouldn't cut it, and he was given the opportunity to see how the world's best practice, prepare, and play; and I think he really tried to take advantage of that and use it to improve his game. I'm excited to see his progress this season. And like Shaw told him, the team's progress will likely mirror his personal progress.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

  13. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My point has nothing to do with the dollar amount they're being paid, but rather is that when a player you want puts up 14/8, the Pacers should do anything and everything to get their services and when a Pacer player puts up pretty much identical production, you're dismissive of the Pacer player.
    I'm not dismissing anything, all I'm saying is that his numbers along are not going to put him over guys that have better numbers, it's not a giving that he is going to be an all star.

  14. #35
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,756

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    No crap it's not a given he's going to be an All-Star. But pointing out that you think Nene's 14/8 is max worthy while Hibberts 13/9 "isn't that great" paints a pefect picture of how you compare non-Pacers with Pacers. You have a classic "grass is always greener on the other side" POV.

  15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  16. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No crap it's not a given he's going to be an All-Star. But pointing out that you think Nene's 14/8 is max worthy while Hibberts 13/9 "isn't that great" paints a pefect picture of how you compare non-Pacers with Pacers. You have a classic "grass is always greener on the other side" POV.
    I'm done arguing with you, once again you don't understand what I'm talking about.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just out of curiosity what makes it impossible for Roy to maybe win the fan vote? He has been in the national news this summer.
    Roy is a well liked guy, but that will mean nothing compared to the giant bandwagon/Heat fanbase. Or even Philly if Bynum has a big year. Both players have much much bigger names than Roy.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Pace Maker For This Useful Post:


  19. #38

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    Our best player will have a good chance to make the A game, anyone else I doubt it.

    Don't really care about it. Didn't even watched it last year. George making statements like these excites me a lot though. You the Man Paul!

  20. #39
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roy is a well liked guy, but that will mean nothing compared to the giant bandwagon/Heat fanbase. Or even Philly if Bynum has a big year. Both players have much much bigger names than Roy.


    ,,

  21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:


  22. #40

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No crap it's not a given he's going to be an All-Star. But pointing out that you think Nene's 14/8 is max worthy while Hibberts 13/9 "isn't that great" paints a pefect picture of how you compare non-Pacers with Pacers. You have a classic "grass is always greener on the other side" POV.
    If you're a center having numbers that aren't that great are good enough to get you a max contract

  23. #41

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    13 and 9 basically with 2 blocks isn't shabby either. His defense is way underrated on this board for some bizarre reason. I agree it's not a walk in the park for Roy to get back, but I also think he's the favorite for one of the 2 spots at the moment.
    I think Tyson Chandler is pretty much a shoe-in for the coaches pick, considering he was snubbed last year. We've seen make up votes before. If he has a half decent healthy season, and the Knicks don't blow, he's an All Star.
    So if Bynum is the starter, Chandler will be the backup imo.

    Now the last two spots... idk. those are a crap shoot since anyone can be there regardless of position.

  24. #42
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,286
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just out of curiosity what makes it impossible for Roy to maybe win the fan vote? He has been in the national news this summer.
    Hes not a superstar or teammate of. The all star game might as well be Celtics/Heat/Nets/Bulls stars vs LAC/LAL/OKC/SAS stars and Dirk every year.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  26. #43
    play harder! focused444's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    610
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    George watching the Heat series 7 or 8 times must have hurt in a good way, like growing pains. I've blocked out everything after game 3 and avoid it at all cost.

  27. #44
    Born ready? TheDavisBrothers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,512
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    At C, barring an injury to Bosh or Bynum, Hibbert's chances of making the All Star team are slim to none...

    At SG, Wade is a lock to start, so it comes down to Johnson, Ellis, or George for the bench spot (unless one of the rookies, Beal, Waiters, or Ross has a huge season). Johnson will likely be on a really good team that gets a lot of attention with Brooklyn, but his numbers are declining as his age is rising. Ellis will be on a fringe playoff team without much exposure in Mil, but might get some sympathy votes due to his continual All Star "snubs". George, like Johnson is likely to be on a really good team, but like Ellis will not get much exposure.

    There is also the chance that Hibbert or George could get one or both of the wildcard spots, but I just don't see them having a 3rd C on the All Star team, espcially concidering the type of game it is and the fact that Hibbert is likely not gonna be putting up the kind of eye catching numbers his competition is. As for George, I do think he has a decent shot at making it either as the backup SG or more likely one of the wildcards if he can score 16+ points a game and continue to have a strong impact on the other areas of the game, a la Iggy.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post:


  29. #45

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At C, barring an injury to Bosh or Bynum, Hibbert's chances of making the All Star team are slim to none...

    At SG, Wade is a lock to start, so it comes down to Johnson, Ellis, or George for the bench spot (unless one of the rookies, Beal, Waiters, or Ross has a huge season). Johnson will likely be on a really good team that gets a lot of attention with Brooklyn, but his numbers are declining as his age is rising. Ellis will be on a fringe playoff team without much exposure in Mil, but might get some sympathy votes due to his continual All Star "snubs". George, like Johnson is likely to be on a really good team, but like Ellis will not get much exposure.

    There is also the chance that Hibbert or George could get one or both of the wildcard spots, but I just don't see them having a 3rd C on the All Star team, espcially concidering the type of game it is and the fact that Hibbert is likely not gonna be putting up the kind of eye catching numbers his competition is. As for George, I do think he has a decent shot at making it either as the backup SG or more likely one of the wildcards if he can score 16+ points a game and continue to have a strong impact on the other areas of the game, a la Iggy.
    keep in mind, fans and coaches vote for 'guards', not SG. And then there are 2 wildcards.
    With Rose out, I think the starters are DWill and Wade.

    Then you have Rondo.
    Joe Johnson who I think will be fine. He's a decent creator but he was asked to do way too much for most of his Atlanta years; you could see an improvement last year with Teague and Smith taking some of the burden of creating the offense. Now imagine what DWill can do for him.
    Kyrie Irving will get a big push.

    These are the main contenders imo. 5 guys for 4 spots.

    Then you have outside shots like Kyle Lowry. If Toronto improves by 10+ wins (very likely imo) I think he'll get consideration.
    John Wall will be running a better team. The Wizards finished last year very well, and they've added talent since.
    Milwaukee duo.

    It will be very hard to get one of the 4 'guard' spots. Wild card seems a bit more likely.

  30. #46
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,553

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    I forgot about Garnett. He's a center now. So center has Bynum, Garnett, Chandler and Bosh. Yeesh.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  31. #47

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I forgot about Garnett. He's a center now. So center has Bynum, Garnett, Chandler and Bosh. Yeesh.
    yeah... KG is likely too.
    And I'd add Noah to that group as well. The Bulls stay solid - likely. They are still among the top defenses - likely too. If both are true, Noah will get considered.

    I think this might be Danny time. East lacks forwards. Iggy's gone. Amare, Gerald Wallace time has passed, most likely.
    LeBron/Melo will start. Deng/Pierce/Granger/Josh Smith for the 2 backup spots. Maybe Monroe or Nene, if they play forward and their teams are good.

    I think it will be Pierce and a coin flip between Deng and Danny.

  32. #48
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,358

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    With Bosh being a center this year, it's going to be really hard for Hibbert to make the team barring injuries.

    If Garnett is also a center, Hibbert certainly won't make it.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  34. #49
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,553

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    yeah... KG is likely too.
    And I'd add Noah to that group as well. The Bulls stay solid - likely. They are still among the top defenses - likely too. If both are true, Noah will get considered.

    I think this might be Danny time. East lacks forwards. Iggy's gone. Amare, Gerald Wallace time has passed, most likely.
    LeBron/Melo will start. Deng/Pierce/Granger/Josh Smith for the 2 backup spots. Maybe Monroe or Nene, if they play forward and their teams are good.

    I think it will be Pierce and a coin flip between Deng and Danny.
    That's going to be a tough sell too. Despite being the worst out of all 4, Deng is the current hipster pick favorite among coaches (those jackasses voted for him over Iggy all defense last season lol), Smith is the best out of all 4 and got snubbed last year, so he may be due for some makeup votes, and Pierce always has the tenured vote going for him.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  35. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

    By looking at the whole team George Hill is the one that looks to me like the one player with the better chance to be an all star, Rondo and Dwill are in for sure but after that who? if Hill has some good numbers and the Pacers have a good record George Hill could probably make it.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 05:26 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-09-2012, 11:41 PM
  3. CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"
    By Rogco in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-06-2012, 07:13 PM
  4. Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."
    By ksuttonjr76 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 10:01 AM
  5. Replies: 88
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 09:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •