Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

Looks like Paul is shooting for the All-Star team this year, and is going to look to be much more aggressive!

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/paul-...ng-be-all-star

Default Re: Paul George "I want to be an All-Star"

Before anyone knocks him for that JO-ish quote, read what he said immediately afterward. Team more important.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

If he wants to be an All-Star, I sure hope he REALLY improved those handles...

Goodness they were brutal to watch.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Mood

He could make the team, along with Roy, but only if he DRASTICALLY improves his ball handling and his scoring average.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by WhoLovesYaBaby? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He could make the team, along with Roy, but only if he DRASTICALLY improves his ball handling and his scoring average.
    Thanks scoop

GRANGER!! FOR THE WIN.............. IT'S GOOD!!!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to oz_pacer For This Useful Post:

I think I speak for Pacer Nation when I say, We want you to be an all-star too".

As long as its not to the detriment of the team. Which he seems to understand. Its a great thing he is setting his goals so high, since his ceiling is so high. He can't rest on his laurels.

“A lot of people are expecting me to really get out of the shadows of Danny Granger or Roy Hibbert or whatever. I'm ready for the task.”

This quote is what got me excited. It almost seems like he wants to become the best player on the team so to speak. Whether he's able to back it up is the important part. But hey, gotta start somewhere. I like the attitude/confidence.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

J7F

I thought this was the most interesting part of the article.

Note: The contents of this page have not been reviewed or endorsed by the Indiana Pacers. All opinions expressed by Mark Montieth are solely his own and do not reflect the opinions of the Indiana Pacers, their partners, or sponsors.

I never remember that disclaimer at the end of Brunner's articles

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

To go along with that article, here is Wells' article in today's paper:

Pacer guard Paul George: 'I feel like there's a lot riding on me'

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...nclick_check=1

The message Indiana Pacers associate head coach Brian Shaw delivered to guard Paul George was brief, but to the point.

After George had finished one of his summer workouts at a Southern California gym, Shaw sat the third-year guard down and left him with something profound to ponder.

"I told him that the fact that everybody in the starting lineup is basically already who they are with the exception of him," Shaw recalled saying. "Whatever steps he makes are going to be the same steps the team will take."

Talk about pressure.

George looked like he was ready for that responsibility last season when he played at times like the team's best all-around player. But then there were occasions when he was the fifth best Pacer on the court.

That's in the past, according to George. Shaw's conversation is implanted in George's brain and he said he is ready to carry that load on his shoulders.

"I feel like there's a lot riding on me," George said on the eve of training camp opening today. "I like the pressure. I like to be in the situation I'm in. I worked hard the whole summer to get better at my game. I'm the 'X' factor."

The Pacers hope to see more performances like the one George had against Dallas last season (30 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists and 5 steals) than the timid play they got from him at times during the 2012 playoffs.

"The sky is the limit," Pacers forward Danny Granger said. "He's so gifted. He can go as far as he wants to go. He has the ability to do so many things on the court, especially on the offensive end. What he brings to us is really invaluable."

George sat in his agent's office in California and watched the team's series against Miami, which they lost 4-2, "seven or eight times" breaking down the mistakes he made while defending Heat All-Star guard Dwyane Wade in pick-and-rolls. George also struggled offensively, shooting 37 percent from the field.

George put the tape away and committed himself to the gym.

He hit the weight room so that he could get stronger, which in turn should help his low post offensive game.

He worked on his ball handling, which was atrocious at times last season.

He worked on his inconsistent jump shot.

And he stayed in constant communication with Shaw throughout the off-season, picking the brain of the person who played with and coached Kobe Bryant, one of George's idols growing up.

"He (George) is 22, so you can't rush experience," Shaw said. "There are expectations for him and he wants to live up to those."

George averaged 12.1 points and 5.6 rebounds a game last season.

No amount of time doing individual work inside an empty gym could top the knowledge he obtained in early July in Las Vegas and while on a trip to the Far East with some of the world's best players.

George played against players like Bryant, James Harden and Kevin Durant on a daily basis as part of the Team USA select squad that practiced against the Olympic team prior to heading to London.

George watched how the players on the gold-medal winning team worked out every day, what they ate and how they approached the game.

He was also able to talk frequently to LeBron James when they went to China as part of a Nike promotional tour.

"The USA thing helped a lot," George said. "You're playing against some of the best players in our league. They brought it to us every game and every practice was tough."

George carried the confidence he gained during the offseason to the team's workouts leading up to the start of training camp, which opens with two practices today.

He set the tone during their scrimmages by getting after it defensively. He and newcomer Gerald Green went back and forth at each other on a regular basis making the games even more competitive.

"We're very pleased with his development," Pacers coach Frank Vogel said. "Clearly to go from a rookie to what he was able to do last year was a huge step. We think he's ready to take another huge step on both ends of the ball."

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I'm excited.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Could the Pacers have three All-Stars this year? Roy is most likely going to be back, many folks last year wanted Granger to be there only his early season slump really kept him out. Charles Barkley specifically said that was his position to lose... Which leads us to Paul George. If he scores anything over 16ppg I expect that to give him an All-Star appearence, because I have no doubt he is going to wreak havoc defensively this season..
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just want Paul George to improve and play consistently. I'd be happy is he only increased his average to 14 points a game as long as he didn't have nights where he just dissapeared offensively and failed to score in double-figures. Of course, I think he's better than that and for the Pacers to have a chance to challange the Heat and stay ahead of the Knicks, Sixers, and Bulls, they'll need him to take the next step.

My guess is he'll average 16 points per game, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals. He'll help the Pacers win a bunch of games but miss the All-Star game.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

If Paul George averages those stats on good shooting %'s we are going to be very good.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Paul George
    "I feel like there's a lot riding on me...I like the pressure."
    But does he make love to pressure?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Roy being back as an All-Star depends on who the voters consider a center. It is almost impossible for a Pacer to be voted in, so with Howard in the West if Bynum is hyped and voted in then Roy is probably the coaches' choice. If someone else is voted in, then Bynum will be big compatition as the coaches' choice.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

25. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    Could the Pacers have three All-Stars this year? Roy is most likely going to be back, many folks last year wanted Granger to be there only his early season slump really kept him out. Charles Barkley specifically said that was his position to lose... Which leads us to Paul George. If he scores anything over 16ppg I expect that to give him an All-Star appearence, because I have no doubt he is going to wreak havoc defensively this season..
    My guess is we'll have 1 or 2, and if so it will be Roy and/or Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Roy being back as an All-Star depends on who the voters consider a center. It is almost impossible for a Pacer to be voted in, so with Howard in the West if Bynum is hyped and voted in then Roy is probably the coaches' choice. If someone else is voted in, then Bynum will be big compatition as the coaches' choice.
    Last year the centers were Howard and Roy. You'd think just swap Howard with Bynum, but they're starting Bosh at center this year and he's even publicly said already he should be on the AS ballot as a center.

If that happens, Bosh will likely get the fan vote at the 5, which means it could come down to Roy vs. Bynum for the only other C on the roster. BUT I think the last couple of spots on the roster can be wild cards, Iguodala is out west now, and it's not a lock the others from the 2012 roster make it back, either. Of course, new talent could also rise (including Paul George, maybe).

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For all this talk on here, people worried that PG is all about "swag" and is "too immature" maybe you should actually listen to him. The kid gets it. And he's gonna be special for us.

I'm also really happy that we have Brian Shaw here. I think he is invaluable to both PG and Lance. Any time in practice he can just bring up the Kobe card. You want to take a break? Do you think Kobe is taking a break right now?

Damn I'm excited for this season!

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Roy is gonna have to compete against Bynum, Noah, Lopez, KG, Horford, Tyson Chandler, Varejao and Nene, out of those players you can count Bynum, Chandler and Noah as Roy's biggest competition with Nene, Horford, Lopez, Varejao and KG from the outside looking in depending of their teams records and how healthy they are.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Roy is gonna have to compete against Bynum, Noah, Lopez, KG, Horford, Tyson Chandler, Varejao and Nene, out of those players you can count Bynum, Chandler and Noah as Roy's biggest competition with Nene, Horford, Lopez, Varejao and KG from the outside looking in depending of their teams records and how healthy they are.
    Our All-Stars depend on a few factors, the biggest being team performance. If we're a top 4 team at least 1 all-star is guaranteed pretty much, likely Roy, since he's seen as our biggest difference maker, and competition is weaker, it's unlikely that other than Bynum, and perhaps bosh, any center is going to significantly outperform Roy, and if two players are comparable, and one is on a better team, the guy on the better team typically will get the nod.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

J7F

Are we to assume Roy won't improve at all this year, but Bynum, Noah, Lopez, KG, Chandler, Horford, Nene (lol), Varejao (lol), all will? Probably.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Are we to assume Roy won't improve at all this year, but Bynum, Noah, Lopez, KG, Chandler, Horford, Nene (lol), Varejao (lol), all will? Probably.
    I didn't say that Roy wasn't going to improve, all I'm saying is that him been name to another all star is not as easy as many think here, lets remember that his numbers are not that great to begging with.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I didn't say that Roy wasn't going to improve, all I'm saying is that him been name to another all star is not as easy as many think here, lets remember that his numbers are not that great to begging with.
    13 and 9 basically with 2 blocks isn't shabby either. His defense is way underrated on this board for some bizarre reason. I agree it's not a walk in the park for Roy to get back, but I also think he's the favorite for one of the 2 spots at the moment.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Not to agree with vnzla , but in my case I am more concerned about who gets the "never mind how good he is" public vote (forgot about Chandler. I think Noah is off the radar with DRose out, I am not worried about Horford being a fan favorite though Nene might have place going for him) leaving someone actually comparable to Roy in the mix for the coaches' pick.

If it was at all possible for Roy to get to be a fan favorite we'd have a little more fair jockeying for position, but that wouldn't happen even if our national broadcast games came before the first of the year.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

38. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Just out of curiosity what makes it impossible for Roy to maybe win the fan vote? He has been in the national news this summer.