Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hibberts respond to DJ versus DC

This has to be the year!

Default Hibberts respond to DJ versus DC

Did anyone see the interview with Hibbert in which he "chuckled" when asked if DJ was an upgrade over DC. I always loved DJ, but these rave reviews are exciting. Not to mention, Hibbert totally disreguarding DC in comparison to DJ.

Mood

Sports Logo

Default Re: Hibberts respond to DJ versus DC

I'm sure Hibbert is much more excited to receive good passes in the paint, instead of watching DC slash by him and get blocked at the rim.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to imbtyler For This Useful Post:

I'm glad that Roy is happy to have him on the team but I am hoping that he was laughing because someone wanted him to compare p.g. skills.

I certainly can understand his intolerance for O'Brien, it is well documented that several former players (not just Pacers) hated the man.

But let's hope Roy does not stoop to the level of throwing former team mates under the bus because IMO that would just be wrong.

There was nothing wrong with D.C., he was a good soldier & a loyal Pacer when he was here. He just didn't happen to have the exact point guard skills that we needed but that didn't make him a bad p.g. and from everything I have ever read, heard or seen he was an exceptional team mate.

Remember the guy lost his starting job due to an injury something that almost nobody ever believes is the right thing to do but he never uttered a negative word and even said he wanted to return.

So let's all welcome aboard Augistine but there is no need at all to kick D.C. while he is down.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

5. The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I'm glad that Roy is happy to have him on the team but I am hoping that he was laughing because someone wanted him to compare p.g. skills.

I certainly can understand his intolerance for O'Brien, it is well documented that several former players (not just Pacers) hated the man.

But let's hope Roy does not stoop to the level of throwing former team mates under the bus because IMO that would just be wrong.

There was nothing wrong with D.C., he was a good soldier & a loyal Pacer when he was here. He just didn't happen to have the exact point guard skills that we needed but that didn't make him a bad p.g. and from everything I have ever read, heard or seen he was an exceptional team mate.

Remember the guy lost his starting job due to an injury something that almost nobody ever believes is the right thing to do but he never uttered a negative word and even said he wanted to return.

So let's all welcome aboard Augistine but there is no need at all to kick D.C. while he is down.
    I don't blame Roy. DC was the last pg brought in to play the game the OB way, so it doesn't surprise me that Roy is reacting this way.

Roy should be excited if an actual pg comes in and eventually starts to make the offense run as opposed to simply relying on shot creators who don't find Roy (or others) in scoring positions. With a point guard who specializes in running an offense, the Pacers would have an offense that would be almost elite, especially if Roy is getting more quality touches.

I just hope everybody is right about Augustin...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

DC might have taken the first stab. Playing with Dirk and Kaman is going to make his job A LOT easier, he said in july.

Here is the whole interview:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/dallas/play?id=8174486

FWIW, I understand both parties and what they are talking about. Our offensive system didn't favor Collison and even if it will favor him, he doesn't have the PG skills a guy like DJ has.

It's a breakup. Getting overly excited with the new situation is a way to draw a line under the past. They are both good guys, I wouldn't look for too much behind it.
    Last edited by MvPlumlee; 10-02-2012 at 03:56 AM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MvPlumlee For This Useful Post:

Anyone know where can I watch the interview?

It's good to know the guys already think highly of DJ's game. Im sure it's a breath of fresh air for them to play with a real PG again. There were times last year when I felt bad for Hibbert and West. It can't be easy for big men to play with a PG like Darren, especially when the teams most used player has tunnel vision as well.

If he's as advertised I hope we can find a way to get him 25 mpg. I believe this team has the flexibility to go small with Danny at the 4 this year. All of our wings have size and athleticism. They can all defend and rebound. Even our PG is capable of grabbing 5 a game. In order to get our best players/team on the court I think we may need to go small.

edit: maybe that's why Danny decided to beef up...
    Last edited by CJ Jones; 10-02-2012 at 04:08 AM.

Dutch Pacers Fan

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    In order to get our best players/team on the court I think we may need to go small.

edit: maybe that's why Danny decided to beef up...
    Though shallt not speak JOB-language in these kingdoms!

yay, we're going back to the play-offs!

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

I don't think being traded to become the starting PG of one of the better run franchises in the league, and the chance to play with an All-Star in Dirk; is being down at all. He got moved to a team that fits his style better, and he's going to start.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I don't think being traded to become the starting PG of one of the better run franchises in the league, and the chance to play with an All-Star in Dirk; is being down at all. He got moved to a team that fits his style better, and he's going to start.
    And all these guys make millions of dollars. I think it's fair game to give them something more than the light feather treatment.

I think Peck's emphasis is important, too. Acknowledge loyalty and good behavior where it occurs. But not at the expense of criticism. These guys are paid to participate in the big leagues, both on the court and in the public eye.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I wonder how George Hill feels about all this "true point guard" talk.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Collison was a good dude. He was well liked as a person. He was not well liked as a player. At all.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

So DC was brought here specifically because he would be good at running JOB's system? That isn't true. As soon as we acquired him I remember posting that JOB was going to have to change the offense or DC wasn't going to be successful. I mean it doesn't matter now, but DC was never JOB's type of point guard that fit best in his system.

Sorry, but for the record I wasn't the one who first brought up JOB in this thread.

While it is technically true that Collison was injured and while he was unable to play George Hill came in a took the starting job away from him, but really it was rather obvious that the team was much better with Hill as the starter. So whether he was replaced while injured or a little later, it was going to happen . I would argue if Hill hadn't missed a good chunk of the middle part of the season with his own injuries he would have replaced DC 30 games earlier
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 10-02-2012 at 09:08 AM.

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I have a problem with thinking that Roy was throwing DC under the bus. I remember an interview with Roy a while back in which he was asked who he was closest with on the team. He answered that it was Collison. He may have just chuckled because he was uncomfortable with the question, or something close to that. It is simply not in Roy's nature (in my opinion) to talk down a teammate.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    So DC was brought here specifically because he would be good at running JOB's system? That isn't true. As soon as we acquired him I remember posting that JOB was going to have to change the offense or DC wasn't going to be successful. I mean it doesn't matter now, but DC was never JOB's type of point guard that fit best in his system.

Sorry, but for the record I wasn't the one who first brought up JOB in this thread.

While it is technically true that Collison was injured and while he was unable to play George Hill came in a took the starting job away from him, but really it was rather obvious that the team was much better with Hill as the starter. So whether he was replaced while injured or a little later, it was going to happen . I would argue if Hill hadn't missed a good chunk of the middle part of the season with his own injuries he would have replaced DC 30 games earlier
    I thought it would happen when we acquired Hill in draft night. Though Hill isn't a PERFECT fit, I've always just thought he was a better fit for the starters than DC was.

Even on the worst team last year, DJ still managed to rack up plenty of assists. That's what gets me excited to have him on this team.

He's a good PnR guy.

Mood

The only reference to this 'interview' I'm aware of is a Tweet from Wells yesterday. I don't know of this being an interview that is in print in an article or blog, or of this being audio or video anywhere. I think it was meant as more of an off-the-cuff comment from Wells.

But don't let that stop us from overreacting.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I thought it would happen when we acquired Hill in draft night. Though Hill isn't a PERFECT fit, I've always just thought he was a better fit for the starters than DC was.
    I remember early in the season Vogel hinted that he really had two starters at the point and when he was asked whether Hill would replace DC he sort of just said not at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

Well JOB wanted to push the tempo and shoot early and often which fits DC. I persoanlly don't think JOB has a system for a pg other than scoring.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacersgroningen View Post
    Though shallt not speak JOB-language in these kingdoms!

Small ball is not JOB ball. JOB ball is put a feather-weight PF, who steals rebounds, hovers at the three, and is incapable of playing low post defense. Through Roy next to Danny and I think you have a better combo. We are going to have to play small ball in the playoffs. Melo, Lebron, Gerald Wallace, Thad Young, and Durant will all play minutes at the 4.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Hill creates what ends up being, in my opinion, a really good problem.

He's a tweener, so you can imagine a true point taking his minutes at one. You can also imagine a taller 2 man taking his minutes there.

However, he is so darn clutch, so good down the stretch at making decisions, so smart and such an important defender, you just have to play him at the end of games.

It is frustrating for us as we work with ideals on paper in our armchairs, but you can't have too many players with Hill's game time performance. Just ask Pop.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Small ball is not JOB ball. JOB ball is put a feather-weight PF, who steals rebounds, hovers at the three, and is incapable of playing low post defense. Through Roy next to Danny and I think you have a better combo. We are going to have to play small ball in the playoffs. Melo, Lebron, Gerald Wallace, Thad Young, and Durant will all play minutes at the 4.
    This is the exact reason why I have been clamoring for Granger to develop a low post game FOR YEARS NOW! It drives me absolutely f-ing crazy, that DG hasn't show a willingness to play ball within the three point line. He has that little mid-range pull up jumper which is perfect playing the four. If he could post, we would have better roster options, but you absolutely cannot afford to play Danny at PF if we have four players on the perimeter offensively.

DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!!

Another thing I wanted to mention with regard to Hibbert is this:

Why hasn't he tried shooting his jumpshots off the back glass. Go Tim Duncan style from the mid-range with the touch he has. I think it would improve his shot percentage from mid-range. Also, if he starts shooting that from the elbow, it will provide WAY more offensive rebound opportunities for him as the ball will be coming back towards him off the rim on misses. Hibbert is an offensive rebounding nightmare for other teams, because he doesn't have to time his jumps to get a hand on the ball. Especially with the soft touch he has. It will allow him to stretch the defense a bit more for drives from the perimeter. An open rim for GG and PG would have them both drooling for Top Ten Highlight reel dunks. Hibbert would allow more space for West to work on the weakside as well. I don't want Hibbert that far from the basket mind you, the last thing I want is JOB ball, but I think Hibbert's man really sagged off him pretty hard after he went foul line-extended. Hibbert has the touch and passing to make himself more of a match-up nightmare offensively, which is what we want. We need him to open things up for everyone else. And even a couple of "JOB's patented backdoor cuts" would be a welcome sight....
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

So what do we do if DJ ends up beating out Hill?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post

Seriously, as fans this is Not Our Problem because it means DJ is a good enough distributing PG to start.

We only have to worry if it somehow pisses off Hill and poisons the locker room, and I don't see that happening really.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Explain the scenario where this happens. How badly does Hill have to be playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Explain the scenario where this happens. How badly does Hill have to be playing?
    I'm not sure really, but if Augustin ends up being as good of a distributor as people are making him out to be doesn't it kind of make sense to have him play with the starters? Especially West?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods