Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Which newcomer will have the best year?

  1. #1

    Default Which newcomer will have the best year?

    between D.J. Augustin, Gerald Green, and Ian Mahinmi who will have the best year?
    My money goes on D.J., I think he will thrive here being around more talented players.

  2. #2
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Which newcomer will have the best year?

    DJ. For the same reason. He was going to be great and then he was drafted onto that **** pile.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  3. #3
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,973

    Default Re: Which newcomer will have the best year?

    I believe everyone is gonna have a good to excellent year this upcoming season..
    I see DJ thriving to the point where he commands a good contract next season and we are gonna be faced with a very hard decision on whether or not we are able to afford him.. Then there's the question of if he will even want to stay if he is not a starter.. Vogel is gonna be faced with some very hard decisions regarding hill and DJ.. if that situation arises and DJ starts distributing the ball like Deron Williams ..

    Green is gonna impress and become a fan favorite.. Between Granger and Green , we have the SF position locked up and will be in excellent shape there ..


    Plumlee is gonna show everyone why Larry had the confidence in him to pick him so high in the draft, and become a very good backup big for us .. I also think he is gonna show off ALOt more offensive skill than anyone believes he possesses..

    .
    Last edited by Kemo; 09-29-2012 at 09:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    #RiseOfTheKing imbtyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Nashville, IN
    Posts
    1,631
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Which newcomer will have the best year?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe everyone is gonna have a good to excellent year this upcoming season..
    I see DJ thriving to the point where he commands a good contract next season and we are gonna be faced with a very hard decision on whether or not we are able to afford him.. Then there's the question of if he will even want to stay if he is not a starter.. Vogel is gonna be faced with some very hard decisions regarding hill and DJ.. if that situation arises and DJ starts distributing the ball like Deron Williams ..

    Green is gonna impress and become a fan favorite.. Between Granger and Green , we have the SF position locked up and will be in excellent shape there ..


    Plumlee is gonna show everyone why Larry had the confidence in him to pick him so high in the draft, and become a very good backup big for us .. I also think he is gonna show off ALOt more offensive skill than anyone believes he possesses..

    .


    My guesses for best newcomer, in order:

    DJ Augustin - I really believe that DJ was made for a team like this. I think DJ is going to be great here, and I bet that he gets a lot of floor time with the starters, one way or another. And he's definitely going to flourish with his passing abilities on a team with these level of players. I kind of want to see a lineup of DJ/GH/GG/PG/Roy on the court. It's a little stretch 4, but DJ's distribution with four perfectly willing scorers (PG pending) will look very pretty. That is, as long as our players set picks, make cuts, and be ready to catch alley-oops (GREEN!). Or go with the stretch 5 and make it DJ/GH/GG/PG/DG (or "DJ and the Five G's"), and really confuse defenses (and everyone else).

    Gerald Green - Green is going to kick some *** on a regular basis. If he makes cuts to the basket as often as he did last year, he and DJ will catch defenses off guard and destroy benches (that is, until the starters get subbed back in). If he sticks to his guns, and remains confident and focused, he's going to continue taking the NBA by storm, and surprise.

    Ian Mahinmi - Mahinmi is considerably better than Fez and Lou, so I think we'll be surprised at his level of contribution this season. Solid backup big man with championship experience. I think he's going to be a very valuable piece here.

    Miles Plumlee - Also, I am sure Plumlee is going to show whatever facet(s) that Larry has been gaga over. I don't think he was actually sitting at summer league, watching Plumlee fail, and going, "aww man, I was totally wrong about this kid..." It's more likely he would just grin and say, "just you wait. I'm Larry ****ing Legend, I know what I'm talking about. No, Donnie, don't bring up Tyler and Lance right now." Or something similar.

    Orlando Johnson - Oh, and I think OJ is going to show off some skills this season. He may not get a lot of playing time, because our wing/backcourt is a worse traffic jam than last year (not complaining). I hope OJ gets more burn than just trash minutes and blowouts. I think he deserves at least a chance or two. You never know what the kid could end up doing. Jeremy freaking Lin took NYC by the scrote for a short period of time, I don't see why Orlando Johnson couldn't get a chance to guard someone like... Shannon Brown? Or another rookie, like Dion Waiters, Jeremy Lamb, Bradley Beal, etc...
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.



  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imbtyler For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Posts
    2,586

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Which newcomer will have the best year?

    In the summer I would have said Gerald Green. Now I'm thinking DJ Augustin just because of all the positive things everyone has to say about him. Like some others have said, the fact that he is on a team with so many options I think will cause him to flourish and really surprise people. Also, not to pick on DC, but I think Augustin will be able to embrace more of a leadership role and will mesh with our guys a lot better.

    Man why can't the season start already...
    Last edited by PGisthefuture; 09-30-2012 at 04:35 AM.

  8. #6
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,828

    Default Re: Which newcomer will have the best year?

    Agustin starts dropping dimes like Deron Williams? Did I read that right, Kemo?

    Agustin has been has been more of a scoring PG the majority of his time in the league. According to what I've read, he only started taking the floor leadership/pass-first thing seriously relatively recently, particulalry during Larry Brown's short tenure there.

    Anyway, I hope you're right. But, WOW...just WOW.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  9. #7

    Default Re: Which newcomer will have the best year?

    I say it will be ranked in this order
    1. D.J. Augustin
    2. Gerald Green
    3. Ian Mahinmi
    4. Miles Plumlee
    5. Orlando Johnson

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AugustinGrangerHill For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    323

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Which newcomer will have the best year?

    It has to be Gerald Green, IMO. For all intents and purposes, he's an uber-talented vet whose second chance in this league officially starts this season. He's (seemingly) more mature and more knowledgeable about the game. He's got everything to prove and the skills to prove it. I think he's gonna blow some folks minds.
    AND with Augustin feeding him, even better.
    Plus, weren't he and Sundiata Gaines on the same second unit in New Jersey?
    Last edited by 5_7_Clash; 09-30-2012 at 02:05 PM.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to 5_7_Clash For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,947

    Default Re: Which newcomer will have the best year?

    I think it really depends on how you look at it. I believe Green can give us that consistent scoring punch of the bench we needed, but he isn't likely to seriously challenge for a starting position. DJ on the other hand is more likely to be in a position to challenge for a starting job, but I think overall he is less likely to have as big of an impact as Green.

    i am hoping Plumlee can become another Foster like player. Not in that he has the same skills, but as a consistently good player who stays around for a long time and is willing to do anything to help his team win.

    Hopefully OJ is the diamond in the rough we hope he is, and he can push Stephenson for the back-up SG position. It is going to be difficult for him to get minutes, but I hope he does so we can see what he is capable of. I am hoping that both these guys prove to be good back-up SGs so that we can use one of them as trade bait.

  14. #10

    Default Re: Which newcomer will have the best year?

    I think Green and Augustins fate could be very intertwined here in regards to performance.

    DJ - Distributor
    Green - Crazy good scorer, needs a distributor

    They will be coming off the bench together. With other guys to do the dirty work. Its going to be their job to score.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:


  16. #11

    Default Re: Which newcomer will have the best year?

    I personally think our bench is much improved from last year

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AugustinGrangerHill For This Useful Post:


  18. #12

    Default Re: Which newcomer will have the best year?

    I think DJ will have the best statistical year of any newcomer, however, depth at Center was such an area of weakness for the Pacers last year, if one or both of Mahinmi/Plumlee becomes a reliable backup big it could make more of an impact.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie Gill For This Useful Post:


  20. #13
    B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Basketball heartland
    Posts
    2,167

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Which newcomer will have the best year?

    If he makes the team, I think Sam Young could jump a few spots on the depth chart.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:


  22. #14
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Posts
    2,586

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Which newcomer will have the best year?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he makes the team, I think Sam Young could jump a few spots on the depth chart.
    Yeah I think he gets overlooked because we haven't officially signed him yet. I think he should be the first sg off the bench unless he's just completely fallen off since being on the Grizzlies.

  23. #15
    #RiseOfTheKing imbtyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Nashville, IN
    Posts
    1,631
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Which newcomer will have the best year?

    Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah I think he gets overlooked because we haven't officially signed him yet. I think he should be the first sg off the bench unless he's just completely fallen off since being on the Grizzlies.
    Well, that's the point of training camp and the preseason. We have, what, two spots leftover? I think it's important to add some more backup behind PG and DG, and Sam Young will hopefully prove to be a good addition. If we fill the last spot, instead of keeping it open for the season, I'm sure the spot goes to Ahearn or Gaines. Besides that, I think Sam Young will show during training camp that he hasn't fallen off yet.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-08-2009, 01:16 PM
  2. Replies: 47
    Last Post: 04-19-2008, 09:22 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-26-2006, 04:10 PM
  4. Newcomer Jasikevicius is not foreign to winning
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-06-2005, 03:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •