Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

There is some seriously silly talk in this thread.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lamar Odom better than anyone on the Pacers? Nope.
    I dunno about this. The Lamar Odom from Dallas, absolutely agree. His head was in the sand the entire season. But when someone finds a way to motivate him, he's quite a bit better than a few players on this roster. As far as the back to back losses to New York, they were extremely motivated to shove Danny's comments back down his throat about the Knicks being "2 very winnable games" on the schedule. Add to that the double-decker crapwich Danny then turned around and laid in both games. I think the Clippers are really, really good. Not so much because CP3 takes over with his scoring. CP3 makes everybody on the floor dangerous, and then he can take over with his scoring.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My frustration with all of this "xxxxx player is better than anyone on the Pacers" is it tends to be qualified with "in his prime, playing healthy, with a good attitude, and in the right position", while the Pacers are assumed to be playing exactly as they are right now.

Why do 29 teams get a pass on injuries, attitude, and mismanagement while every Pacer player is considered to be currently at the peak of his career with no room for improvement and no physical, concentration, or positional battle issues to overcome?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    My frustration with all of this "xxxxx player is better than anyone on the Pacers" is it tends to be qualified with "in his prime, playing healthy, with a good attitude, and in the right position", while the Pacers are assumed to be playing exactly as they are right now.

Why do 29 teams get a pass on injuries, attitude, and mismanagement while every Pacer player is considered to be currently at the peak of his career with no room for improvement and no physical, concentration, or positional battle issues to overcome?
    That, and the part where we're a team built on spead-out talent versus condensed, top-heavy talent anyway. Of course the best players on other teams are typically going to be better, because most teams are more top-heavy than us. We have a lot of good to very good players, other teams have a few great players.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't believe there isn't Brooklyn or NY in the top ten. That baffles me coming from ESPN.

I don't really give a **** what this article rates us as. I think we are about a top 8 team either way though. I'm sure NY or Brooklyn will come out hot and make their way into the top five of the power rankings at some point. We will see other teams creeping up there as the season goes along. Some teams will drop due to injuries. It's just the nature of the beast.

These kind of power rankings are "what have you done for me lately". The Niners were the best team one week, dropped down 10 spots because they lost to Minnesota, and then they beat the Jets in such an embarassing manner they'll be atop the rankings this week. It's such an overreactive sports media we deal with. Minnesota just matches up really well with SF with a football philosophy and gameplan that would keep that game close. That's why they also went to OT with Indy and Jacksonville. These power rankings are stupid, especially when it comes from ESPN.

As for the Pacers, we better get used to the media overlooking our off-season moves because we are going to have a static payroll for a very long time. We aren't going to do much that would alter the future of our franchise in a major way for the next several off-seasons. So get used to it boys and girls.

I'm not even going to discuss Lamar Odom. As for the Clippers however, that team's front court cannot hit a jump shot to save their lives. Teams have started giving Blake the jump shot and protecting against the drive. When he does go to the rack, he is getting fouled at a ridiculous pace, because at 50% shooting from the free throw line, teams will just beat you up all night. They are way too easy of a team to guard. They have two players who are very difficult to guard, which shows me that they need more versatility and secondary ball movement. This is the same thing that plagues the Knicks. If these teams learned how to defend and improve ball movement, we would be talking about them as true contenders. But they don't, so we aren't. The Pacers biggest need is to improve ball movement as well, and until we do that, we will subject ourselves to mediocrity at the hands of "superstars" having more talent. When the sum of parts is greater than the sum of each individual, they call that synergy and that is one of the greatest forces of mankind.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Banned

There is not a bigger pass than the one of people looking the other way regarding Danny's injuries, Bynum get's the same treatment as Danny in his knee and "the Sixers sucks now", EJ is feeling some pain in his knee and is another "OMG".

But the Pacers second best player gets injured and we don't know how long is going to take for him to be 100% but is OK because the Pacers have Green to replace him so "they are at least top 3 in the east".

By the way once again I'm sounding as a Pacers hater but the thing is that I'm as frustrated as you are because it looks to me like many here expect the Pacers youngsters to grow and become stars, they expect Danny to be the Danny of years ago, they expect West to look younger and play D and at the same time they expect other teams stars to get hurt and other teams youngsters to stop growing.

By the way if Lamar Odom had signed with the Pacers instead of the Clippers a huge percentage of people here would be proclaiming him "the next coming" but as always people around here tend to think that players in other teams are garbage until they wear a Pacers uniform.

And nope I don't think the Pacers players are garbage either.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 10-02-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    By the way once again I'm sounding as a Pacers hater but the thing is that I'm as frustrated as you are because it looks to me like many here expect the Pacers youngsters to grow and become stars, they expect Danny to be the Danny of years ago, they expect West to look younger and play D and at the same time they expect other teams stars to get hurt and other teams youngsters to stop growing.
    I guess I'd reply by saying that fans of a team are more likely to come down on the side of optimism when it comes to their own players. However, to argue against that you can't use the highest expectation for the opponent and the lowest expectation of the Pacers player. It is valid to point out the difference in expectations, but to say when challenged that thus-and-so, if healthy, is better - without comparing him to the Pacers player when healthy - is a problem.

That said, while I think you have a point with Bynum's procedure, Gordon's injury history would make an infected hangnail something to be worried about or be glad we didn't sell the cow for those magic beans. There are reasons to react more strongly to injury reports for players who have missed significant portions of their careers due to injuries.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

There is not a bigger pass than the one of people looking the other way regarding Danny's injuries, Bynum get's the same treatment as Danny in his knee and "the Sixers sucks now", EJ is feeling some pain in his knee and is another "OMG".

By the way if Lamar Odom had signed with the Pacers instead of the Clippers a huge percentage of people here would be proclaiming him "the next coming" but as always people around here tend to think that players in other teams are garbage until they wear a Pacers uniform.
    You are comparing a guy who misses on average 6.8 games per season to a guy who misses 23.7 games per season. History suggests that Danny is most likely to be just fine, while Bynum isn't.

Maybe you would have and OlBlu would have, but no one else would have. Yeah sure people would be excited because for the majority of his career he has been a good player. No one would expect him to come in here and be anywhere close to the best player.

Banned

[QUOTE]
    I guess I'd reply by saying that fans of a team are more likely to come down on the side of optimism when it comes to their own players. However, to argue against that you can't use the highest expectation for the opponent and the lowest expectation of the Pacers player. It is valid to point out the difference in expectations, but to say when challenged that thus-and-so, if healthy, is better - without comparing him to the Pacers player when healthy - is a problem.
    Anytime I compare players from other teams with the Pacers players I compare them when healthy.

That said, while I think you have a point with Bynum's procedure, Gordon's injury history would make an infected hangnail something to be worried about or be glad we didn't sell the cow for those magic beans. There are reasons to react more strongly to injury reports for players who have missed significant portions of their careers due to injuries.
    All I got to see from both reports(Bynum and EJ) is that both teams are taking precautionary measurements there is not reason for either team to force it and that includes the Pacers with Danny.

Sports Logo

but as always people around here tend to think that players in other teams are garbage until they wear a Pacers uniform.
    Or it's the other way around and some people always tend to think that players in other teams are awesome until they wear a Pacers uniform
    Last edited by Nuntius; 10-02-2012 at 06:13 PM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    You are comparing a guy who misses on average 6.8 games per season to a guy who misses 23.7 games per season. History suggests that Danny is most likely to be just fine, while Bynum isn't.

Maybe you would have and OlBlu would have, but no one else would have. Yeah sure people would be excited because for the majority of his career he has been a good player. No one would expect him to come in here and be anywhere close to the best player.
    I wouldn't even expect him to be a starter on this team, let alone the second coming.

Biggest Pacer Fan PacersForever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    They may cancel each other out by talent, but if Augustin is going to be a distributor contrasting to Collison's scorer role, then I think that could have a greater impact on the rest of the bench than Collison did.
    There is not much use for a facilitator in the second unit. The first unit is one one that needs it.

There's always use for a facilitating PG.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersForever View Post
    There is not much use for a facilitator in the second unit. The first unit is one one that needs it.
    Unless that second unit has people who can't score for themselves. Such as Green and Mahinmi

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Unless that second unit has people who can't score for themselves. Such as Green and Mahinmi
    Green? I think Green will be getting shots for himself just fine. That's what he was brought in for, scoring off the bench.

But I agree, DJ fits on the second unit. He could have a Harden type effect on the team as a spark off the bench, only he'll be a facilitator as opposed to a big scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Green? I think Green will be getting shots for himself just fine. That's what he was brought in for, scoring off the bench.

But I agree, DJ fits on the second unit. He could have a Harden type effect on the team as a spark off the bench, only he'll be a facilitator as opposed to a big scorer.
    Yeah Green is a scorer, but he doesn't get shots for himself very easily. He needs a distributor.