Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 116

Thread: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    4,237

    Default Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings...r/2013/week/-1

    I didn't see this posted yet. I don't think Philly is a better team but for everyone else the arguement can be made that they are. I hope the Pacers prove them wrong but the concept that our bench improved is just false. We need to improve from within if we're going to move forward this season.

    1
    Miami
    46-20
    How can they not start out peering down at 29 other teams? Even if the Heat do launch slowly with Wade and Ray Ray healing, it's not just our rule about defending champions that matters. Also: Mr. James returns as undisputed King of his sport for the first time ever.
    2
    Los Angeles
    41-25
    Maybe you can't win anything in the summertime. What you can do, though, is leapfrog everyone else in Power Rankdom apart from the defending champs when you trade for Dwight and Nash without surrendering Pau, which still hasn't fully sunk in even after writing that sentence dozens of times.
    3
    Oklahoma City
    47-19
    Am I, like so many out there, overlooking the fact that the Lakers still have lots of chemistry wrinkles to work out and health questions to answer? Guilty. Thing is, OKC convenes for camp amid plenty of its own uncertainty thanks to Harden's contract situation, Perk's health and that Finals flameout.
    4
    San Antonio
    50-16
    Timmy, Manu and Tony don't get any easier to read with age. Who could have predicted the 20 games in a row they won or the four straight Ls to OKC after that brush with invincibility? Want to write the Spurs off after a summer of precious little change? Go for it. We'll pass.
    5
    Los Angeles
    40-26
    Last season of bliss before CP3 leaves Blake and Clipperland behind? Or the start of something truly special that makes L.A. feel like Manchester with two true powerhouse teams in the same neighborhood? Like it or not, Staples Center is the NBA's two-team epicenter for juicy storylines. For now.
    6
    Boston
    39-27
    Whether or not you agree with Rondo's claim that the Celts are still on the short list of five teams that can win it all, there's no denying they'll have a bench this time with JET Terry, Courtney Lee, Jeff Green and Darko arriving to succeed the departed Ray Allen and Stiemsma.
    7
    Philadelphia
    35-31
    Find myself drawn to the Sixers as much as anyone in the East chasing Miami. Time will tell if I'm assuming too much about Bynum's impact, but Philly automatically skyrockets here for now in the wake of a trade that landed an undeniable franchise center and got Dwight out of the East.
    8
    Indiana
    42-24
    Indy's splashiest acquisition was Donnie Walsh. Nothing wrong with that -- not when the Pacers also re-signed Hibbert and George Hill -- but that means Frank Vogel is clearly dependent on improvement from within to maintain their spot in the East's elite. Not so simple.
    9
    Denver
    38-28
    The Nuggets, with Iguodala, are right there with Memphis and Dallas in the West's steel-cage battle for the bottom four playoff seeds. Yet you can't shake the suspicion that, even if Iggy and JaVale McGee have big years, they'll find out first-hand what sort of monster they helped L.A. assemble.
    10
    Dallas
    36-30
    After missing out on D-Will, Dallas never dreamed it could offer only one-year deals to the rest of the free-agent pack and still come away with Mayo, Kaman, Brand and Collison. The problem? The West is suddenly super deep again. And now Dallas has to score in Free Agency 2013.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:


  3. #2

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    I disagree that our bench did not improve. There is no denying that Ian Mahinmi is a big improvement over Lou Amundson . If you compare Leandro Barbosa and Gerald Green from last year Gerald Green was the better player, Gerald is also younger so he has more room to improve. D.J. Augustin and Darren Collison are close, I think they are even and based on the person's opinion one might be better than the other, but I think D.J. is a better fit for this team, I think his skills suit this team better than what Collison's did. I like to think of it as a trade. The Pacers traded away Darren Collison, Lou Amundson, and Leandro Barbosa for Gerald Green, Ian Mahinmi, and D.J. Augustin. I think the Pacers won

  4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to AugustinGrangerHill For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  5. #3

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    Philly ahead of us is a joke. They lost what 3 of their starters. Sure they got Bynum but still. And does Stein just not know who DJ Augustin is? Or what about Gerald Green. Green

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,260

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Philly ahead of us is a joke. They lost what 3 of their starters. Sure they got Bynum but still. And does Stein just not know who DJ Augustin is? Or what about Gerald Green. Green
    Yeah, Stein should show some respect for the starting point guard and the 6th man for teams that won a combined 22% of their games last year. Geez.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, Stein should show some respect for the starting point guard and the 6th man for teams that won a combined 22% of their games last year. Geez.
    Team sport. Go look up what that phrase means, and then try posting again once you understand it.

  10. #6
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,767

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Philly ahead of us is a joke. They lost what 3 of their starters. Sure they got Bynum but still. And does Stein just not know who DJ Augustin is? Or what about Gerald Green. Green

    Collison and Augistin essentially cancel each other out. If Augistin is better than Collison, it isn't by much. Augistin was able to do a lot more last year because he was on such a bad team. Collison had to share with George Hill.

    Our net gain was essentially Gerald Green, Ian Mahinmi, a rookie, and some scrubs for training camp. That's not enough to make a national writer like Stein bat an eye. It's pretty weak compared to what most teams in the East did this offseason.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    4,237

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Collison and Augistin essentially cancel each other out. If Augistin is better than Collison, it isn't by much. Augistin was able to do a lot more last year because he was on such a bad team. Collison had to share with George Hill.

    Our net gain was essentially Gerald Green, Ian Mahinmi, a rookie, and some scrubs for training camp. That's not enough to make a national writer like Stein bat an eye. It's pretty weak compared to what most teams in the East did this offseason.
    I agree although I give DC the edge over DJ. While our net gain was Green and Ian our net loss in that was a ton of cap space, Barbosa, Lou and Jones.
    Green is not really a step up over Barbosa and Jones. Ian is a step up over Lou at center but it's sad that this was the best we could do for a 4 year contract. He doesn't block shots, and is too weak to really defend the post and protect the rim. He'll be a plus in guarding quicker big men though.
    At best we broke even with our bench which again is sad considering what we spent and had to work with. This isn't being negative about the team, I expect our core to improve but it is being realistic. We're ranked a little low IMO but I can understand.

  13. #8
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    20,579

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Augistin is better than Collison, it isn't by much.
    The argument is not which one is better. It is who is a better fit. Personally, I believe that DC is a better player than DJ. But DJ could be a better fit for our team. That would improve us as fit > talent.

  14. #9
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,767

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The argument is not which one is better. It is who is a better fit. Personally, I believe that DC is a better player than DJ. But DJ could be a better fit for our team. That would improve us as fit > talent.

    That may be true. But I'm just explaining why a national writer like Stein isn't overly impressed with our personnel moves.

  15. #10
    Pacers Fan For Life J7F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Seymour, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,063

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Collison and Augistin essentially cancel each other out. If Augistin is better than Collison, it isn't by much. Augistin was able to do a lot more last year because he was on such a bad team. Collison had to share with George Hill.

    Our net gain was essentially Gerald Green, Ian Mahinmi, a rookie, and some scrubs for training camp. That's not enough to make a national writer like Stein bat an eye. It's pretty weak compared to what most teams in the East did this offseason.
    This wasn't the offseason moves power rankings though... I believe they did those a month or two ago...

    This is the actual power rankings... And I don't see how a team that finished 5th in the league and lost in 6 to the eventual champs in the 2nd round and then added talent to the bench plus should grow some talent in 3 of the 5 starters doesn't put us a notch or two higher than we are here...

    I can see how everyone not named Philly or Clippers are ahead of us though...

    The Clippers are way overrated... All offense no D...

    And I'm not sold on Bynum being a savior in Philly... As others have pointed out he has some major maturity issues to overcome and is very injury prone... I don't see him leading them past a playoff birth this year... They scream first round out to me...

    And Dallas at 10 is absurd...
    Last edited by J7F; 09-30-2012 at 12:13 PM.
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:


  17. #11

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    A few thoughts:

    You cannot overlook Bynum's history of immaturity when talking about the Sixers. For years he was kept in check in LA by Phil, Kobe, Gasol, Fisher, etc. We saw how he reacted to a new, younger coach last season and I wasn't impressed. In addition to very real concerns over his injury history, I think there are huge question marks surrounding his ability to be a franchise player - especially in a tough media market. Consider me unimpressed by Philly.

    As far as the Clippers, unless Vinny Del Negro was replaced, I don't see them doing much. They're almost like a mid-2000s Phoenix Suns redux. Sexy pick, I'll be watching them on league pass, but I don't think they're one of the 10 best teams in the league.

    Boston has come in with the age questions each of the last 3 years. At some point they are going to break down, but until I actually see it happen, I have no problems with them where they are on this list.

    If Minnesota's roster played for the New York Knicks or Brooklyn Nets, I seriously feel like they would crack the top 10 in a lot of these rankings. Rubio coming back (assuming he's fully recovered from his knee injury) is going to be huge - they were on track for a playoff spot before he got hurt last year. Wouldn't surprise me to see them challenging the Utah/Dallas/Memphis slots in the West.

    I have no idea what Portland will do this year, but Lillard will be a treat to watch. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see them in the playoffs.

  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Gill For This Useful Post:


  19. #12
    Pacers Fan For Life J7F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Seymour, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,063

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    I also understand how San An and Boston are put above us with the way their veterans pushed them to another level later last season... But those aging teams have Indiana and Denver respectively waiting to overthrow them...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

  20. #13
    Member Ichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Lala
    Posts
    253

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    I think the 6ers shouldn't be ahead of us, but can see it. However, it's ridiculous how high the Clippers are. They should be sitting about number 8 or 9.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ichi For This Useful Post:


  22. #14
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    Yeah I was pretty surprised to see Philly ahead of us. First off, while Bynum is a nice addition, that team is still oddly put together. And don't underestimate the loss of Andre Iguodala. That guy was a rock for that team defensively. Plus, I'm still not sold on Bynum being healthy for an entire 82 game season. I actually think we are better than Boston too, but that argument has more merit to me than Philly.

  23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  24. #15

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    Philly is overrated as usual.

  25. #16
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,286
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    Philly is going to fall apart without Iggy. Without him it is a bunch of overrated youngsters. Bynum isn't mature either.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  26. #17
    Come Home Lance! BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    16,036

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Philly is going to fall apart without Iggy. Without him it is a bunch of overrated youngsters. Bynum isn't mature either.
    This will be one of the more interesting things about this season. Iggy was critical defensively but Bynum's impact in the paint will completely change that team. They will need good shooters to go along with Bynum and good playmaking to take a step forward. If Bynum is a good fit, I think they improved. If not, they took a slight step back.

  27. #18
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,655

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    Philly should be improved but will miss Iggy's defense and leadership. However, they still have Jrue Holliday, Evan Turner, Spencer Hawes, and they added Jason Richardson and Bynum. Don't forget that they are coached by Doug Collins as well. They're gonna be a very tough team to beat if they can stay healthy.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:


  29. #19
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't forget that they are coached by Doug Collins as well.
    I'm not sure that's a good thing. It's year three for Doug Collins in Philly. That's usually the time we wears out his welcome with his players.

  30. #20

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    The 76ers also added Dorrell Wright, Nick Young, Kwame Brown, and have T Young and Lavoy Allen who played well in the playoffs. I still think the pacers are better, but they seem to be a deep team with a lot of young talent.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to ReginaldWayne For This Useful Post:


  32. #21

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    Richardson sucked last year. So unless he has a rebound year thats really not something working in their favor.

  33. #22
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,819

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    The Clippers being that high is a joke.

    I need to really start looking at the 76ers because while I think they will be good I just don't see them as that good. I could see the Knicks having a better year than them but I need to think on this for awhile.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  34. #23
    Come Home Lance! BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    16,036

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Clippers being that high is a joke.

    I need to really start looking at the 76ers because while I think they will be good I just don't see them as that good. I could see the Knicks having a better year than them but I need to think on this for awhile.
    The Knicks have a ton of talent and will challenge Philly, Boston and Indiana. Players who are still in their prime are Mello, JR Smith and Tyson Chandler. Amare Stoudemire is no longer dominant, but he's still an above average starter. I think people discount his contributions because he's not the same player. They do need Shumpert to return by midseason, although Ronnie Brewer was a decent addition to fill that need.

    Their PG situation is a question mark, but JKidd's experience and chemistry with Chandler should help them. Felton's numbers are on par with Augustin.

    Then you have the old guys who fill out the roster like Camby, Thomas and Sheed. It's hard to say whether those guys would be more effective than Tyler and our other scrubs.

    But the reason why the Knicks have a chance is really Mello. He can be a load and take over the game. We don't have a player like that.

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  36. #24
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,767

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Knicks have a ton of talent and will challenge Philly, Boston and Indiana. Players who are still in their prime are Mello, JR Smith and Tyson Chandler. Amare Stoudemire is no longer dominant, but he's still an above average starter. I think people discount his contributions because he's not the same player. They do need Shumpert to return by midseason, although Ronnie Brewer was a decent addition to fill that need.

    Their PG situation is a question mark, but JKidd's experience and chemistry with Chandler should help them. Felton's numbers are on par with Augustin.

    Then you have the old guys who fill out the roster like Camby, Thomas and Sheed. It's hard to say whether those guys would be more effective than Tyler and our other scrubs.

    But the reason why the Knicks have a chance is really Mello. He can be a load and take over the game. We don't have a player like that.

    I agree. I've been saying for a while that the Knicks' talent is much higher than the Pacers. I sure wouldn't want to play them in a playoff series. I haven't forgotten that weekend whooping they gave us back in March where they won 115-100 on a Friday night at the Garden, and then the next night ran us out of Indy by 14 points.

    Lin was a fun story, but I don't think they will miss him all that much. Felton worked out very well there two years ago and J-Kidd will be a fine backup who will be an excellent addition in the locker room. As you say, he has chemistry with Chandler from Dallas. They now have two important players who understand how a championship team conducts itself. They can bring their rings into the locker room and say "You want this? Well here's how you have to do do things...."

    Roy struggled to put up points against an Orlando team without Howard and a Miami team without Bosh. The Knicks' would absolutely torment him on D with the rotation of Chandler and Camby. Camby, while ancient, still averaged 9 rebounds a game last year and played in 59/62 games. Those two would make life unpleasant for Roy.

    Then you have Melo and Amare, who are still way better than any player we have on our roster. The Knicks are way more talented than the Pacers on paper. The only question is if the chemistry can work, and that's certainly a legitimate question. If it doesn't happen this season then I don't think it will ever happen. But if it does, then everyone not named Miami needs to watch their back.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-30-2012 at 10:05 AM.

  37. #25
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    6,452

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Espn Power rankings Pacers #8

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree. I've been saying for a while that the Knicks' talent is much higher than the Pacers. I sure wouldn't want to play them in a playoff series. I haven't forgotten that weekend whooping they gave us back in March where they won 115-100 on a Friday night at the Garden, and then the next night ran us out of Indy by 14 points.

    Lin was a fun story, but I don't think they will miss him all that much. Felton worked out very well there two years ago and J-Kidd will be a fine backup who will be an excellent addition in the locker room. As you say, he has chemistry with Chandler from Dallas. They now have two important players who understand how a championship team conducts itself. They can bring their rings into the locker room and say "You want this? Well here's how you have to do do things...."

    Roy struggled to put up points against an Orlando team without Howard and a Miami team without Bosh. The Knicks' would absolutely torment him on D with the rotation of Chandler and Camby. Camby, while ancient, still averaged 9 rebounds a game last year and played in 59/62 games. Those two would make life unpleasant for Roy.

    Then you have Melo and Amare, who are still way better than any player we have on our roster. The Knicks are way more talented than the Pacers on paper. The only question is if the chemistry can work, and that's certainly a legitimate question. If it doesn't happen this season then I don't think it will ever happen. But if it does, then everyone not named Miami needs to watch their back.
    Roy struggled to score? I must have missed that. Big Roy avg 12 and 11 in the playoffs on only 9 shots a game. You up those FGA to 13, and it's prob closer to 15-16 ppg. I think at this point in their careers, he's better than Amare. Maybe not as talented, but does offer more contributions within the game.

    I agree the Knicks have a lot of talent. If they can get or together, they could easily be number two in the east. But we've been saying that since Melo was traded there. If they don't do anything this season, like make the 2nd rd of the playoffs, I'd have to think they'd blow it up and see that the pieces aren't complimenting one another.

    Should be interesting how they begin the season.

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Pacers third in ESPN power rankings!
    By CoolHand in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-06-2012, 11:32 PM
  2. ESPN power rankings 01/23/12 Pacers 6th
    By vnzla81 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-24-2012, 12:08 PM
  3. ESPN Power Rankings - Pacers #13
    By Shade in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-26-2011, 02:23 PM
  4. ESPN's Future Power Rankings: Pacers at #17
    By Chuck Chillout in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 12:51 PM
  5. Pacers drop in ESPN power rankings...
    By rabid in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 10:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •