Thread: Quiz: Who leads the league in getting their shots blocked?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Quiz: Who leads the league in getting their shots blocked?

I'm talking about the person that has their own shots blocked by someone else.

I'll give you a clue: It's the same person that led the league last season.

Here's another clue: This player led the league as a Pacer last year.

It's probably not the person you might be thinking.

One last clue: He currently plays for the Indiana Pacers.

The answer is:

Jermaine O'Neal

J.O. had his shots blocked 131 times last season. That shocked me because we always complained about Brad Miller getting his shots blocked last season that I thought he led the league. Brad wasn't even in the top ten!

Guess who comes in at a very close second. It's the same guy that was second last year. Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

The top five players are all over 6'9". Why is that? Is it poor shot selection? Is it just because they take more shots close to the basket? What is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Quiz: Who leads the league in getting their shots blocked?

I forgot to add the link that I got this info from.

http://www.nba.com/features/pollack_040114.html

Rick Bucher from ESPN was the one that mentioned J.O. and Abdur-Rahim as being the league leaders in shots blocked by others, this year. He said that on NBA Tuesday Night this week when they were discussing the Atlanta/Portland trade.
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.

Jermaine thinks no one will block his shot so he often doesn't add a pump fake or what not...allowing the defense to time his move....most of the time he gets the shot off but sometimes it gets blocked.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think its because JO is getting hammered and not getting the foul calls that other guys get. If that foul is called just one more time per game it makes a big difference not just in this stat, but also in the general defensive approach our opponents take.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

[quote="Jay@Section222"]I think its because JO is getting hammered and not getting the foul calls that other guys get.
    [quote]

This is waht I think. JO simply does not get calls, and that means more blocked shots against him. ed:
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I don't think this is a bad thing. Shows he is aggressive and not shooting jump shots.

Nap, Brad shoots mostly jump shots so he won't be in the top 10, not suprising

Yet, you have to wonder what his shooting percentage and scoring average would be if he did get more calls and/or reduced the number of his shots that were blocked by 1/2 or so.

I don't think this is a bad thing. Shows he is aggressive and not shooting jump shots.

The irony of this is that you used Brad getting his shot blocked so often as one of the weaknesses & one of the justifications for the move.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think its because JO is getting hammered and not getting the foul calls that other guys get. If that foul is called just one more time per game it makes a big difference not just in this stat, but also in the general defensive approach our opponents take.
    Now you know what? That's the first thing I thought too. He still doesn't get the benefit of the doubt like he should. I supose he'll need to win an MVP award and/or the championship before he gets that type of consideration.

Then again, sometimes he doesn't elevate much on his turnaround jumper and gets it slapped away. He usually gets those back half of the time but still he sometimes doesn't put enough arch on his shot.

Shooter

The Pacers have been lobbying the refs for the last two years to get J.O. more foul calls. It obviously isn't going to happen. At this point you have to adjust to the refs.

I Personally think J.O. is forcing too many shots into the double and triple teams some teams throw at him. Couple that with the non calls and he can have some bad shooting games even though he may still get his 20 points.

As he keeps improving every year I think he can tweak his game and keep improving. Becoming a better passer or not holding the ball so long before he makes his move for instance.

As he keeps improving every year I think he can tweak his game and keep improving. Becoming a better passer or not holding the ball so long before he makes his move for instance.
    In order for the Pacers to reach their full potential this year and in the playoffs, I think this point is crucial..... and it applies to Artest and Harrington, as well.

Either initiate the move within 3-4 seconds, or pass the ball.

The irony of this is that you used Brad getting his shot blocked so often as one of the weaknesses & one of the justifications for the move.
    Peck, what signifies a good defense? A low point total or a low fg%?

Just curious... cause your logic is the kind I hear when people say "They have a great defense! Teams only average 60 points against them!" Yeah, but that doesn't mean they stop anybody. It just means they really S...L...O...W... the game down.

I'd say that if Brad shoots around the rim, he's MUCH more likely to get his shot blocked than Jermaine. You don't agree?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Peck, what signifies a good defense? A low point total or a low fg%?

Just curious... cause your logic is the kind I hear when people say "They have a great defense! Teams only average 60 points against them!" Yeah, but that doesn't mean they stop anybody. It just means they really S...L...O...W... the game down.

I'd say that if Brad shoots around the rim, he's MUCH more likely to get his shot blocked than Jermaine. You don't agree?
    First of all, my post had nothing to do with anything other than stateing that U.B. used to complain all of the time about Brad Miller getting his shot blocked. Nothing more nothing less.

But to answer your question. It's not a yes or no answer.

Because while I agree that Brad might have his shot blocked more often (& I'm not even certain of that but I'll just go ahead & say he will) he would draw more fouls than Jermaine.

Brad had/has an uncanny knack for drawing fouls, almost Reggie like.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

[quote="Peck"]
    Because while I agree that Brad might have his shot blocked more often (& I'm not even certain of that but I'll just go ahead & say he will) he would draw more fouls than Jermaine.

Brad had/has an uncanny knack for drawing fouls, almost Reggie like.
    Well, I'm not going to disagree with that. Something about a purple hippo.

Seriously, when I saw this thread the first thing I thought was "It's about Jermaine... and Peck's going to say 'But you guys always complained about BRAD getting his shot blocked...'"

You're right. Brad does have the uncanny ability to draw fouls. <shade>Of course, Jermaine has the uncanny ability to GET fouled, but he never gets calls because the refs are biased.</shade>

Just messin...
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Duncan was 3rd on the list and it is obvious that he gets plenty of calls. I think it may have mre to do with them both being the main option on their teams. They get doubled and triple teamed a great deal and help is always coming from the other side. They also take a majority of their team's shots, so more chances to get them blocked, especially on the inside.

To get an accurate feel for who the worst player is at getting his shot blocked you need to look at a percentage value. Jermaine has the highest total amount of blocked shots, but is it the highest percentage? Maybe, maybe not. But I think the percentage value is tons more revealing than the total amount.