Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Anti-Flopping Policy Forthcoming

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default New Anti-Flopping Policy Forthcoming

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ke...t-nba-flopping

New policy in the works to combat NBA flopping

By Ken Berger | NBA Insider
    ELIZABETH, N.J. -- The NBA is finalizing a new procedure to deal with flopping this coming season, with an off-court remedy expected to be in place before the start of the regular season.

After meeting with their newly revamped competition committee two weeks ago in New York, the league anticipates that incidents of flopping will be adjudicated on a postgame basis with fines assessed for the offenses, a league spokesman said Thursday.

"The procedures will likely involve a postgame review as opposed to calling it as an in-game infraction," the league spokesman said in a statement to CBSSports.com and other outlets.

The new policy does not need to be approved by the Board of Governors, which meets next month in New York, because it does not involve a rule change for on-court play. In that way, the new policy will be similar to a crackdown several years ago on so-called "respect for the game" rules violations, which resulted in a brief uptick in technical fouls.

The news came to light as the NBA's officiating department held its annual preseason camp, some of which was attended by sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NBA. It was the first such meeting under the leadership of Mike Bantom, who was appointed executive vvice president of referee operations earlier this month, replacing former U.S. Army Gen. Ron Johnson.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to obnoxiousmodesty For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New Anti-Flopping Policy Forthcoming

Better than nothing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

surprised they didn't the same way the do flagrant's and technical's.

don't think fines are gonna fix it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Mike Bantom?!?

Wow.

On the 77-78 team, Mike Bantom was among the league leaders in personal fouls, but he had to work really hard to beat teammates Ricky Sobers and James Edwards to that distinction.

Imagine having a team today with four starters averaging 4.1 (Bantom), 4.0 (Edwards), 3.9 (Sobers) and 3.8 (Roundfield) FPG. That would cause just about any coach to lose thier mind.

That team might have been a lot better than 31-51, but Slick couldn't keep the players on the court. Amazing that Slick didn't have a heart attack that season.

Now, imagine that the radio play-by-play voice on WIBC is... Bob Lamey. And imagine that he gets frustrated -just a little bit- (!!!) with the foul troubles and officiating. Oh yeah, that's bound to get interesting. He's really calmed down over the years. Amazing that Lamey didn't have a heart attack that season.

And then there was 8-year old Jay@Listeningtotheradioathome and Jay's_Dad@Listeningtotheradioathome tuned in for most of the games... amazing they didn't have heart attacks that season.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It won't "stop" flopping during critical periods of the game, but it may well stop it from being such a common occurence if the NBA makes a few high profile fines levied against frequent offenders early on to give the impression to players that the NBA isn't messing around.

Which is infinitely better than what we have now. I'm optimistic. Also refs may not let flopping fly as often if they no the NBA is watching, because they know that the NBA is watching, and their performance will be put under scrutiny too. Yes, our team goes to the line alot too, but we also pound the ball down low more than almost every other team too, sure we flop sometimes, but we don't rely on it for calls like alot of other teams built around star wings do. Those guys are good enough to force a foul anyways, no reason to reward them further when they flop.
    Last edited by daschysta; 09-27-2012 at 08:01 PM.

I think the best thing the league can do is come up with examples of players flopping, have officials travel to every team in the first week of training camp, and show the players a video of what is considered a flop and a fineable offense. That way the players know what they can and can not do.

Then the refs need to try their darnedest to not call the flops the players commit. I doubt the flopping fines will be significant. It'll probably be less than a technical (maybe $250 to $500 a flop, if that high). But commit several, and it will add up.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Well Dwayne Wades efficiency just dropped if this policy actually gets enforced. That could help us in a playoff series.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

FIRST thing that came to mind

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Refs should def have a list of players that typically flop the most. Looking at you international players!
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Dear Basketball God,

Please follow my advice. The ends justify the means.
    When Wade is forced to put his arm around the murdering drug lord his fine money was donated to because of a flop, he'll start thinking about what flopping is really doing to his image.

BTW, which is worse, baseball steroids or NBA flopping?

And my theory on flopping is that when they took the game international you saw the Euro culture of soccer/basketball infiltrate the NBA, areas where flopping was already accepted as just part of the game and with no shame associated with it. What's next, flares tossed at the court. I mean we already had the riot. I think we are a bunch of yellow scarves away from a Premiere League match.

I think steroids is worse, just because steroids is something they have been pretending to address for years, where as the NBA has a fine line to walk and can never be expected to get it right.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wonder if the league will look the other way when it is Lebron flopping like a b**ch all over the court like the stinky smelly fishy V*g*na he is.

Nope don't want to make LeDouche look bad.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Mood

This will be an interesting thing to watch. How the NBA defines a flop and how they levy the fines. Hopefully this works out well and leads to a cleaner game with a little more integrity.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

This is going to work out the way the NBA techs for expressive behavior worked out. Which is to say, I don't suggest Lou flop, but Lebron is unlikely to get fined for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Refs should def have a list of players that typically flop the most. Looking at you international players!
    Yeah, all those floppers from overseas, like Wade or Bosh, had better be careful now!

Nobody wants to get fined. It'll be a great deterrent, assuming the fines are large enough. We will see a bunch of fines in the first year and then less flopping after.

I have my doubts as to how effective this will be, but I welcome it in any case.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

In other words superstars still get away with it in game, which changes nothing. But we as fans are suppose to be a little more ok with it, because they have to pay a small fine out of their fat wallets. I'm sure this will stop the flopper chants all together.

But like the rest of you have said. Better than nothing.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

I think this could potentially be more effective than people are thinking. Everything is on video these days and stars are more under the microscope than anyone. Also opponents get angry when someone flops. In a big moment if it happens you can be sure the opposing team will be paying attention if there is a fine or not. If it isn't enforced fairly people will talk . If players just repeatidly pay the fine it won't be good for there image. How its enforce remains to be scene, but if Lebran gets away with free flopping on us I say we blow video of it up on twitter and demand mike wells assist.

Also auto backup is awesome(first time i needed it.)

Man Reggie got out with his wallet in tact.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

30. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

RLeWorm

finally! I'm tired of players acting now. play the game its more fun and exciting to watch. Flopping hurts the game so much.

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    FIRST thing that came to mind

The title says Foster, but I'm pretty sure its Deiner using his physical enforcer style of smashmouth intimidating basketball. I hope this makes a difference, its embarrassing watching Battier flop around.

In addition to a fine, they need to do something similar to what they do with technicals - you accumulate so many, you get suspended for a game. That would help crack down on it.

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Smits Happens For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Apparently, Oklahoma City is becoming a favored franchise. This should hurt both the Heat and the Lakers if it is enforced equally across the league. Unless, of course, the ownership of those franchises simply pay the fines for their players...

Quote Originally Posted by Smits Happens View Post
    In addition to a fine, they need to do something similar to what they do with technicals - you accumulate so many, you get suspended for a game. That would help crack down on it.
    This is the missing ingredient.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post: