Thread: Brief Grantland QandA with Hibbert

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Brief Grantland QandA with Hibbert

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...f-duty-tonight

Brief but funny interview with Hibbert regarding the upcoming season and more importantly CoD

apologies if this is posted elsewhere.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eric1516 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Brief Grantland QandA with Hibbert

The Big Guy has NEVER been good enough to back up that kind of prediction... If you are gonna be bold enough to shoulder that take, you better darn well see to it that you can back that ish up... I love Roy. He is poised to have a HUGE season, or a completely disappointing one. But he better carry the load this year with predictions like that.

Quote Originally Posted by *astrisk* View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Big Guy has NEVER been good enough to back up that kind of prediction... If you are gonna be bold enough to shoulder that take, you better darn well see to it that you can back that ish up... I love Roy. He is poised to have a HUGE season, or a completely disappointing one. But he better carry the load this year with predictions like that.
    Really? What do you expect the guy to say?

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I liked what Roy said. He's starting to believe, the team is starting to believe, and belief is a powerful thing.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Really? What do you expect the guy to say?
    I expect that if he is gonna start yappin off predictions in black and white that he is totally prepared to back them up. He did not make enough of an impact in last seasons playoffs (offensively in particular) to merit his proclaiming us to be the champs this season. When he made that statement, he effectively slapped the Heat, Lakers and OKC right in the face. No different than what Lance did to LeBron...

I appreciate his honesty and I am a HUGE Roy fan. But, why give these teams more reason to motivate them against us. Why give them bulletin board material? I don't mind it so much if you KNOW you CAN and WILL back it up. But Roy's got to step up this season. Like I said, his words have set the table for the finger to be pointed right back at him, if his MAX contract hadn't accomplished that already.

Frank Vogel personally guaranteed me we were winning it all last season, but he wasn't stupid enough to say it to a member of the media. I loved that self-confidence and belief in his team. The place for THOSE comments aren't in interviews. "We are gonna win it all", yes... "We are gonna go through the Heat, and OKC cuz the Lakers aren't ready"... no...

That's all Im saying... I hope he's right!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

But, why give these teams more reason to motivate them against us.
    Um, yeah, sure, if Hibbert had just kept his mouth shut none of the top teams would have any reason to play well against us...

Lighten up, it was a flippant interviewer and you can tell that he's being very tongue-in-cheek about the whole thing. I mean, you really expect a guy to make his serious projections in an interview that focused on him playing Call of Duty?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He did not make enough of an impact in last seasons playoffs (offensively in particular)
    I'll leave the last part of that in the quote for good measure, but I completely disagree. He was the biggest reason we even had a chance. As soon as he went to the bench players drove straight to the basket and killed us. Could have he done more offensively? Sure if our guards would get him the ball. But he was the anchor on defense, and that can't be understated. If there was one guy on our team that I could live with making these statements, it would be Hibbert (and probably West). Anyone else and I might agree with you. But don't downplay his impact. I think Hibbert had a HUGE impact for us in the playoffs.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:

How does playing Call of Duty improve his ball handling? Slacker.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Um, yeah, sure, if Hibbert had just kept his mouth shut none of the top teams would have any reason to play well against us...

Lighten up, it was a flippant interviewer and you can tell that he's being very tongue-in-cheek about the whole thing. I mean, you really expect a guy to make his serious projections in an interview that focused on him playing Call of Duty?
    Yes. Given the humorous and silly tone of the article overall, I am slightly surprised that anyone took his answer there so seriously.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Mood

I expect that if he is gonna start yappin off predictions in black and white that he is totally prepared to back them up. He did not make enough of an impact in last seasons playoffs (offensively in particular) to merit his proclaiming us to be the champs this season. When he made that statement, he effectively slapped the Heat, Lakers and OKC right in the face. No different than what Lance did to LeBron...

I appreciate his honesty and I am a HUGE Roy fan. But, why give these teams more reason to motivate them against us. Why give them bulletin board material? I don't mind it so much if you KNOW you CAN and WILL back it up. But Roy's got to step up this season. Like I said, his words have set the table for the finger to be pointed right back at him, if his MAX contract hadn't accomplished that already.

Frank Vogel personally guaranteed me we were winning it all last season, but he wasn't stupid enough to say it to a member of the media. I loved that self-confidence and belief in his team. The place for THOSE comments aren't in interviews. "We are gonna win it all", yes... "We are gonna go through the Heat, and OKC cuz the Lakers aren't ready"... no...

That's all Im saying... I hope he's right!
    We had the 5th best record in the NBA and took the champs to 6 games, teams are already going to be playing hard against us, a comment like this has no effect whatsoever. The whole bulletin board material is extremely overrated, come playoff time guys are going to play to get it done regardless, and our record already ensures teams take us seriously during the regular season.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Motivation for other teams? Belief in his own team? How is anyone walking away from this cute little humor piece with emotions about Roy's confidence?

Good lord do we need games ASAP.

But I will totally do the midnight trip for the CoD so he doesn't have to, I'll probably already be over there getting my copy. Happy to help, he can buy me an app at Mo's or something.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Motivation for other teams? Belief in his own team? How is anyone walking away from this cute little humor piece with emotions about Roy's confidence?

Good lord do we need games ASAP.

But I will totally do the midnight trip for the CoD so he doesn't have to, I'll probably already be over there getting my copy. Happy to help, he can buy me an app at Mo's or something.
    You should Tweet him...like seriously.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post: