Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Louisville mayor brainstormed idea of Pacers playing 10 games at the KFC Yum Center

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Louisville mayor brainstormed idea of Pacers playing 10 games at the KFC Yum Center

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pacers will play on Mars before they play in Louisville
    Space Jam 2: The Re-Jammening?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Default Re: Louisville mayor brainstormed idea of Pacers playing 10 games at the KFC Yum Center

That may be a new building or whatever, but if something like this happened it would be more likely to occur elsewhere in Indiana. This is probably one of the most ridiculous ideas I have ever heard of.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I see some of you are addressing this seriously. I believe trying to increase the fan base by playing a few games in Louisville, would be a complete waste of time.
    To preface what I'm about to say, I think the likelihood that the Pacers would relocate from Indianapolis within the next 10 years is extremely remote.

However, one must consider that the Pacers are a small market team and that they reportedly have lost money in nearly every year of their NBA existence. Note: I do NOT want to argue that point, that has been done enough. I merely accept the statement that has been made by the team and the league.

With that said, I believe that among Pacers fans, relocation is among their biggest long-term fears for their beloved team.

Building on that, I would then state that Pacers fans who would support the idea of any percentage of their beloved teams games being played away from their home arena should have their heads examined. It has to be one of the nuttiest suggestions yet.

Doing so would do nothing but cause uneasiness among the present fans that regularly attend games in Indy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

BREAKING NEWS: A North Central freshman is studying the idea of the Pacers playing 10 games in the North Central gym. Currently writing notes on his iPhone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersFan1991 For This Useful Post:

ANYONE who thinks this is a great idea is a moron. if Ps&e allow this to happen this would be step one of the pacers leaving Indianapolis.

Besides, just because Kentucky is a great basketball state, doesn't mean the NBA would work out in Louisville.

Come on throw the guy a bone, at least give him one preseason game.
    Last edited by Mad-Mad-Mario; 09-26-2012 at 09:56 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Come on throw the guy a bone, at least give him one preseason game.
    This is what you do. The idea of reaching out and building the Pacers brand is not a bad one. Playing regular season "home" games in another state is.

But, play a pre-season game down there? Why the heck not? Didn't they play in Ft. Wayne at some point? Same thing. Doesn't the NFL send pre-season games to LONDON!? The Pacers in Louisville for the pre-season makes a lot more sense than the Jaguars to play in LONDON in the REGULAR SEASON.

Especially as the team is improving and gaining a little bit of attention and popularity. Kentucky people love their cousi... errr...uhmm... basketball, so why not get them into the Pacers? They'd make the trip for a team that plays the right way. Lots of people already do.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Us? Let Kentucky host games for our team?

They get NOTHING! And they will like it!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

I could see a preseason game maybe, that's about it.

Louisville wants a pro team. Not to play a preseason game there, but to move there. This is why you don't let the team put one foot in the city. I'd be more than fine with a preseason game anywhere, on the moon for all I care, if it was just to try and get a bigger fanbase for the Pacers. But not if the city wants to steal our team.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Kentucky has two "pro" teams already. Yes, I threw the Cardinals in there, too. Whatcha gonna do about it?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

I don't think it would be terrible to let them host a preseason game, but that's it. Stir their interest for NBA level basketball with a couple regional teams, say Pacers v Memphis. Louisville is a nice city, but it's not ready for an NBA team and won't be for quite a long time. But if their locals and maybe Cincinnati locals are willing to support the INDIANA Pacers, then more power to them! I think we'd do better to focus on reclaiming W. Lafayette and South Bend fans first though. Though I guess SB is a good 3 hours away.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MnvrChvy View Post
    I don't think it would be terrible to let them host a preseason game, but that's it. Stir their interest for NBA level basketball with a couple regional teams, say Pacers v Memphis. Louisville is a nice city, but it's not ready for an NBA team and won't be for quite a long time. But if their locals and maybe Cincinnati locals are willing to support the INDIANA Pacers, then more power to them! I think we'd do better to focus on reclaiming W. Lafayette and South Bend fans first though. Though I guess SB is a good 3 hours away.

I think Louisville could support an NBA team. I don't see how their attendance could be much worse than the Pacers' in recent years.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I think Louisville could support an NBA team. I don't see how their attendance could be much worse than the Pacers' in recent years.
    THE COLONELS RETURN!!!

If we are going to play preseason games there, we shouldn't play with other local teams. Otherwise the crowd will be split. Play with teams like the blazers or suns. Then the people will be more likely to connect with us, and we can build the fanbase better.

I'm not even interested in seeing a preseason game played in Louisville. As Heisenberg said, this is a city starved for a pro team and I don't want to give them any reason to believe it could be the Pacers. Let's just keep playing preseason games in college arenas throughout INDIANA. We play in South Bend this year, Assembly Hall a couple years back - we could do a game in West Lafayette, the Hulman Center or even Hinkle. Just hate seeing out of state home games. Getting fans back to the Fieldhouse is a lot like recruiting for a college team - lock down your own in-state borders and then you can start thinking about going beyond that.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Gill For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Space Jam 2: The Re-Jammening?
    Jam Harder.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

1 preseason game in Louisville each of the next 10 years, then he will have his 10 Pacers games!

Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan1991 View Post
    1 preseason game in Louisville each of the next 10 years, then he will have his 10 Pacers games!
    What if by having two home arenas you sell out ALL your games and have a bigger TV market?
    Just something to think about. Fans don't get game burn out in one city from having 41 games to attend.
    For team profitability would a team consider that in a small market?
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    What if by having two home arenas you sell out ALL your games and have a bigger TV market?
    Just something to think about. Fans don't get game burn out in one city from having 41 games to attend.
    For team profitability would a team consider that in a small market?
    NO WAY, all 41 games need to be at the fieldhouse and they will be. NOT A CHANCE even one regular season game is played in Louisville.

Member DangerGranger3pointranger's Avatar
    Mood

Ehh... At least the KFC Yum Center is a good arena, but I don't see this happening anytime soon.
    Everybody ride the Scola train! WHOO WHOO

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Don't they already have a couple of pro teams that play in that area? Or did Pitino and Calipari stop coaching?

edit: drat...
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Kentucky has two "pro" teams already. Yes, I threw the Cardinals in there, too. Whatcha gonna do about it?

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DangerGranger3pointranger View Post
    Ehh... At least the KFC Yum Center is a good arena, but I don't see this happening anytime soon.
    U of L isn't happy either. They don't want to share the stadium.

It would be one thing to lose the Pacers to a bigger, more glamorous market but quite another to lose the team to a metro area 2/3 Indy's size and less than two hours away.

After the initial buzz of having a team wears off, why would attendance be any better in Louisville? The Pacers had attendance problems because of all their off the court issues combined with four straight seasons of missing the playoffs. It wouldn't be better in another market, especially a smaller one.

And then of course there is the simple fact that no city has EVER lost a team after building it a state of the art arena with taxpayer funds and then providing it with an eight figure operating subsidy for three years. Indianapolis has done its part to keep the Pacers happy. Time for the Pacers to return the favor and commit to the Circle City for the long haul.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post: