Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Louisville mayor brainstormed idea of Pacers playing 10 games at the KFC Yum Center

Default Louisville mayor brainstormed idea of Pacers playing 10 games at the KFC Yum Center

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: Louisville mayor brainstormed idea of Pacers playing 10 games at the KFC Yum Center

Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan1991 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Funny how they show a highlight of Mario Chalmers hitting a three when mentioning the Pacers.

Default Re: Louisville mayor brainstormed idea of Pacers playing 10 games at the KFC Yum Center

He should worry about firing whoever is in charge of making their roads, and then hire someone who will demolish them and rebuild them from scratch.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

So a mayor said "hey, it's an election year and we gotta justify the funding for this state of the art building that doesn't house a state of the art team." Don't blame the guy, but this is a nonstarter.

This makes little sense! Well, okay for Louisville it makes some sense, but how about Indianapolis venders both inside and outside the fieldhouse who make their living off Pacer games? And how about Pacers season ticket holders?

I know he was just brainstorming, but still . . .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

FlavaDave, in a meeting with his house's main tenant (his fiancé), brainstorms the idea to have one Indiana Pacers practice a week in his backyard. Per the discussions, the practices would be immediately followed by a barbecue.

When asked for comment, Donnie Walsh said "Who?"

9. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

The Celtics used to play some home games at the Hartford Civic Center for years. I kind of like the idea of the Pacers playing a few in Louisville. It's not like the crowds at Banker's life are very impressive. Maybe they could get great attendance down there.
    Last edited by sam kaiserblade; 09-26-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What an idiot.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sam kaiserblade View Post
    The Celtics used to play some home games at the Hartford Civic Center for years. I kind of like the idea of the Pacers playing a few in Louisville. It's not like the crowds at Banker's life are very impressive. Maybe they could get great attendance down there.
    Selling out a couple games in Louisville does absolutely nothing in the way of building fan support in Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Gill View Post
    Selling out a couple games in Louisville does absolutely nothing in the way of building fan support in Indiana.
    Sure it does... Louisville is closer than Indy for much of southern Indiana. Plus, we need to build fan support - not just in Indiana. Kentucky is a die-hard basketball state that has no professional sports team (except for the University of Kentucky, that is). I think it would make sense to play a few games in Louisville, spread the Pacers product, and help build fan support in general. Louisville is less than a 2-hour drive from Indy. Building the fan base in the Louisville area could improve fan support in Indy.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tennymf For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tennymf View Post
    Building the fan base in the Louisville area could improve fan support in Indy.
    Uh, what?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is there some green font missing? Anywhere? Please?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

There is a greater chance they play in my backyard than they play in Louisville

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Uh, what?
    Fans in Louisville could make the trek to Indy. It's at most a 2-hour drive. If a strong fan base is built in Louisville, then many of those fans could make it to Indy to support the team on a regular basis (i.e. "Building the fan base in the Louisville area could improve fan support in Indy"). Not everyone who attends Pacers games has to be from Indianapolis (or even Indiana, for that matter).

I personally live out of state in Illinois, almost 4 hours away from Indianapolis, and I still make the drive several times a year. I support both the Pacers and Colts by attending games as often as I can.

I think it would be a smart marketing decision to play a few games in Louisville each year. It's often noted that we play in a small market. If we don't have a market with natural depth, then perhaps we could expand our market through breadth.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to tennymf For This Useful Post:

I see some of you are addressing this seriously. I believe trying to increase the fan base by playing a few games in Louisville, would be a complete waste of time.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I see some of you are addressing this seriously. I believe trying to increase the fan base by playing a few games in Louisville, would be a complete waste of time.
    I agree.

But, I still could see it happening if attendance continues to be an issue, which I am afraid it still will be even with a competitive team and a hopefully much improved arena experience due to the video and audio improvements. People simply don't have as much money to spend on luxuries as they used to, and they can, for the most part, enjoy the games and quality commentary about them at home without having to spend money on gas, tickets, horrendously priced concessions, etc.

Yes, the competition for attendance of Pacers games is becoming a struggle between a combination of cost and convenience vs. the experience of viewing the game with thousands of your closest friends whether they are Pacers fans, Chicago fans (when the Bulls come to town from 3-4 hours away), or for whatever out of market superstar is playing for the opposition.

I just hope that regular TV continues to be a viable business model for the Pacers / NBA. I fear the pay per view model will be considered in some instances of the most desireable matchups (much like the ticket pricing changing due to the popularity of opposing teams).

tennymf I think you need to check your times on how long it takes to drive from Louisville to Indy, you are off by about an hour give or take.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    tennymf I think you need to check your times on how long it takes to drive from Louisville to Indy, you are off by about an hour give or take.
    If it takes you more than the two hours he said, you're doing it wrong.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post

I can drive from downtown Indy to exit 9 on 65 (Sellersburg/New Albany) in about an hour and 25 minutes if I really rip it down 65. Most times I don't do it quite that quickly because of traffic, but it's always well under two hours unless there is an accident or something. The Sellersburg exit is about 10 miles from Louisville. Traffic is usually bad when you get close to Louisville, but if it's moving smoothly then you can get from downtown Indy to downtown Louisville in about an hour and 35/45 minutes. Depends how long you get stuck on the bridge for.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-26-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    If it takes you more than the two hours he said, you're doing it wrong.
    Yeah, if it takes you more than two hours then you must be doing like 55 the whole way.

Louisville can have their ten home games.... if they can pry them from our cold dead hands.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tennymf View Post
    Fans in Louisville could make the trek to Indy. It's at most a 2-hour drive. If a strong fan base is built in Louisville, then many of those fans could make it to Indy to support the team on a regular basis (i.e. "Building the fan base in the Louisville area could improve fan support in Indy"). Not everyone who attends Pacers games has to be from Indianapolis (or even Indiana, for that matter).

I personally live out of state in Illinois, almost 4 hours away from Indianapolis, and I still make the drive several times a year. I support both the Pacers and Colts by attending games as often as I can.

I think it would be a smart marketing decision to play a few games in Louisville each year. It's often noted that we play in a small market. If we don't have a market with natural depth, then perhaps we could expand our market through breadth.
    For every fan you might gain in Louisville, I think you would lose just as many fans in Indy. People would not be happy to see the Pacers play 25% of their home games somewhere other than the Fieldhouse. I mean it's not like the Fieldhouse is a bad venue either.

This would just be a historically bad idea. It would certainly hurt the way I view the Pacers.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Marion County tax payers anteing up for a team to play in Louisville? Nah, I didn't see it! Tell the downtown merchants and arena vendors it's just 10 games and see what they tell you?

Remember, the team and county have negotiations to accomplish this year.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Marion County tax payers anteing up for a team to play in Louisville? Nah, I didn't see it! Tell the downtown merchants and arena vendors it's just 10 games and see what they tell you?

Remember, the team and county have negotiations to accomplish this year.
    Just ten games might fly if this is a baseball team. But ten homes games in the NBA is 25% of the schedule. OK now what 10 home games does Louisville get? Do they get weekend games? Do they get marquee teams? For example do they get one of the Heat games?
    If the mayor of Louisville was at all serious about this idea, then like I said, he is an idiot.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Pacers will play on Mars before they play in Louisville

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post: