Thread: Possible free agent targets for the Colts next year?

Default Possible free agent targets for the Colts next year?

Just wanted to make a thread to see who you think the Colts could target next year in free agency

I have no specific names.

I just want someone, ANYONE, who can tackle or block with any level of decency.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Possible free agent targets for the Colts next year?

Anyone who plays either the offensive or defensive line who understands and can execute their respective crafts in such a way as to allow the Colts to be even average in line performance on either side of the ball. ANYONE.

Please, Lord Help Our Colts...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ray Rice
    Smothered Chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ray Rice
    He is signed and the 2013 RB free agents are pretty slim (Reggie Bush, Peyton Hillis, Shoone Green). To improve the defense there are some pretty good names but they are getting long in the tooth.

You have Brain Urlacher, Shaune Phillips at LB with some younger players like Anthony Spencer who I personally like.

The problem I see is that the two positions that the Colts desperately need to fill on defense is NT and safety and there isn't a lot to choose from in 2013. My wish list is that they pry Isaac Sopoaga from the 49ers but thats going to be tough and the Colts will have to offer a big signing bonus to make him walk away from a great team.

The offensive line is a tough one since it has a lot to do with a cohesive unit and most people don't through big money at guards which greatly impact the run game. Some cheap options would be Rex Hadnot from San Diego or Chad Rienhart from the Bills.

The only positive thing is that the money will be there to make the improvements and hopefully the draft picks will help build the depth of the team overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    He is signed and the 2013 RB free agents are pretty slim (Reggie Bush, Peyton Hillis, Shoone Green). To improve the defense there are some pretty good names but they are getting long in the tooth.

You have Brain Urlacher, Shaune Phillips at LB with some younger players like Anthony Spencer who I personally like.

The problem I see is that the two positions that the Colts desperately need to fill on defense is NT and safety and there isn't a lot to choose from in 2013. My wish list is that they pry Isaac Sopoaga from the 49ers but thats going to be tough and the Colts will have to offer a big signing bonus to make him walk away from a great team.

The offensive line is a tough one since it has a lot to do with a cohesive unit and most people don't through big money at guards which greatly impact the run game. Some cheap options would be Rex Hadnot from San Diego or Chad Rienhart from the Bills.

The only positive thing is that the money will be there to make the improvements and hopefully the draft picks will help build the depth of the team overall.
    Reggie Bush would be perfect for the Colts. Another man who can catch and he makes big plays. He's not the best running back, but he's way better than the ones we have now. If they pick and RB in the draft, I like Shaun Phillips a lot. We need to get another RB, DB, and DT in my opinion either in the draft or in free agency
    Smothered Chicken!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pretty much any free agent guards that are halfway competent would be a good start.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Reggie Bush would be perfect for the Colts. Another man who can catch and he makes big plays. He's not the best running back, but he's way better than the ones we have now. If they pick and RB in the draft, I like Shaun Phillips a lot. We need to get another RB, DB, and DT in my opinion either in the draft or in free agency
    Bush would be interesting but Miami has the money and the need to retain him even if that means a franchise tag next year so I really don't think he will be available.

As far as DB's I wouldn't mind Tracy Porter.

Some might want the Colts to target a wide receiver like Mike Wallace or Dwayne Bowe. I prefer to see the Colts spend money elsewhere. They have major offensive line issues, could use an upgrade at running back, and need to address multiple defensive positions. Plus, I think it is easier to find a productive wide receiver than it is productive players at other positions such as o-linemen. Wide receiver is a position that needs some attention but I don't think spending huge money on one is the answer.

I would probably stay away from paying big money for a running back. Most running backs are productive for 7-8 years and if the Colts were to sign a top running back he would have at least 3-4 years on him. I would spend money elsewhere first.

The offensive linemen in this free agent class doesn't seem to be too strong. Jake Long looks to be the best available. Do the Colts make a run at him and move Castonzo to RT?

I want to see the Colts address some of their needs and improve this team. However, I don't want to see them try to do it in one off season. It is ok if they don't spend all of their money in one summer. They don't have to make a splash with a big name signing to have a productive off season, imo.

One thing to consider is the draft. I expect the Colts to have a top 10 pick. Last year's draft seemed to be full of talented offensive linemen. This year's draft seems feature a number of talented defensive players in the front 7. There are nose tackles Johnathan Hankins and Star Lotulelei, DE/LBs Barkevious Mingo, Jarvis Jones, and my personal favorite Manti Te'o (no I am not a ND fan) among others. Chances are good that the Colts start this draft off with a defensive player, something to keep in mind when thinking of filling needs in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Bush would be interesting but Miami has the money and the need to retain him even if that means a franchise tag next year so I really don't think he will be available.

As far as DB's I wouldn't mind Tracy Porter.
    Yeah they should get a DB in free agency because there are none superstar DBs coming into the draft this year. They should draft someone like Kawaan Short of Purdue at DT or a running back
    Smothered Chicken!