Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 151

Thread: Ref'ing thread

  1. #51

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    Polian through the competition committee asked the league to make defensive contact a league-wide point of emphasis, so that every single crew called it closely.

    Until that point, each crew "called their own strike zone" so to speak. Unfair or not, in a game the same call was consistent. That is the difference.

    With regular, competent refs, teams still knew things like "this crew calls it tight on offensive holding" or "this crew will allow incidental contact" and yes they game-plan accordingly. As long as during the game the calls are consistent, the players and coaches never complain.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  2. #52
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,478

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As long as during the game the calls are consistent, the players and coaches never complain.
    Okay...

  3. #53
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Polian through the competition committee asked the league to make defensive contact a league-wide point of emphasis, so that every single crew called it closely.
    I can't wait until that emphasis is reversed.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  4. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:


  5. #54

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay...
    Guys like Bill Polian and Jim Irsay may complain, because they are inherently drunk whiny be-atches who consider themselves and all in their kingdom to be forever blameless of anything at any time, but players and coaches rarely if ever go there.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  6. #55
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,478

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    Yep, criticizing officials is a symptom of Colts Land. You got your point across on that one.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  8. #56
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Should a flag have been thrown? Probably.
    probably?! c'mon.
    that was textbook launching into a defenseless receiver helmet to helmet.

  9. #57

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    At this point I want the players, the coaches, or both to actually go out on strike until the referee dispute is settled.

    It won't happen, but Goodell needs some sort of crisis to drive him settle this, because us addicted fans obviously will not stop watching enough to make a difference.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  10. #58
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At this point I want the players, the coaches, or both to actually go out on strike until the referee dispute is settled.

    It won't happen, but Goodell needs some sort of crisis to drive him settle this, because us addicted fans obviously will not stop watching enough to make a difference.
    the players' CBA bans "sympathy strikes," so that is out. (Not sure about the coaches--that would be kind of fun if the coaches went on strike only.)

    I'm not sure how long all the fans are going to keep watching--now they are watching for the car crash quality of these refs, but when does the incompetence and the delays just get old?

  11. #59
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,872

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know the officials could have done anything to prevent that. Carson was brilliant in the second half but on that play - throwing that pass behind him really put him in harms way. If Carson puts it where he catches it in stride there probably isn't such a violent football collision.

    Should a flag have been thrown? Probably. But it was also a football play with unfortunate consequences. Not sure the officiating "caused" that injury. You had three guys going full speed to a pass that was a little bit off its intended target. As Fouts said, "That's a risk we all signed up for."
    in the moment, no the officials couldn't have done a thing to prevent it. but what has gone on this season, they absolutely could have. Defensive players are playing very reckless this year. I am seeing more helmet to helmet hits than ever before. And this is because the replacement officials just don't call them. Just like TJ was saying with the late hits on QBs.

    Should a flag have been thrown? Absolutely! I don't know how you can say probably. The defender lead with his helmet, was a helmet to helmet hit on a defenseless receiver. That is a flag every time. And we saw exactly why. Cause DHB was knocked out before he hit the ground. Mundy wasn't going to the pass. He was going for the big hit. And sloppy at that, aka leading with your helmet.

  12. #60
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,406

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    There is a difference between these replacement refs and the regular refs. Yeah the regular refs you would have maybe one terribly reffed game a week, with these replacement refs you have half the games terribly reffed, and the other half poorly reffed. These refs don't just occasionally make one or two big mistakes every few games, they are making one of two big mistakes every half. Yeah there are those who complain about the regular refs when the regular refs do a terrible job, but they are usually very isolated to a specific game or a specific call for a specific fan base. It isn't specific isolated events anymore, this is a general across the board terrible.

    Yes, when there are blown calls with the regular refs it does get overblown by the fans usually, especially in the moment. Even with the overblown reaction it is, like I already said, very isolated to a specific ref or play. The complaining that is going on now is on a whole different level. It is a general complaint about all refs, in all games, on all plays, not specific refs, in specific games, on specific plays.

  13. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Um, yesterday during the Chiefs/Saints game, there was a "fumble" by the Chiefs (in quotes because anyone with eyes could see he was clearly down) that was returned for a TD, and the refs reviewed it, but before they reviewed they didn't even clarify what the call was on the field. They just said, the play is going to be reviewed. That's it.
    FWIW, the head referee and side judge each signaled a touchdown. I saw that on the replay this AM. However, the ref never anncounced what the call on the field was.

    The Redskins also had a fumble recovery for a TD, but the refs blew it dead and thus they couldnt give the redskins the ball advanced because they blew it dead.

    Like others have said, they have just plain killed the pace of the games. On top of not knowing the rules.

    Oh, and how about that QB (ATL?) how took a shot to the head and RIPPED part of his ear off......That shoulda been a penalty and automatic ejection


    Since86, sorry, but I completely disagree. Bad calls are one thing, not knowing the rules are another.

    The Redskins coaches lost their composure, but the refs did not know there was no 10 second run off if the clock was stopped....simply unacceptable

  14. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does it really matter? If a ref screws up, the reason as to why the screw up is of little consequence. Whether it's because they have crappy judgement or they're just lost, the outcome is the same. Crappy calls.


    And that's my point. When regular NFL referees are on the sidelines, there are still constant complaints about the calls or lack of calls and how the influence the outcome of the game. When replacement officials are on the sidelines, there is constant complaints that they don't know the rules and how it influences the game.

    At the end of the day, the constant is that people just like to *****.


    Yeah, or fans just know the diffrence between "bad calls" (which every team gets) and the "new" refs not knowing the rules.....combined with them being point blank afriad to make a call.

    Keep in mind that is ignoring the whole thing of the NFL claiming player safety while these refs have missed lots of plays that are dangerous (hits to the head, launching, etc)

  15. #63
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,478

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh, and how about that QB (ATL?) how took a shot to the head and RIPPED part of his ear off......That shoulda been a penalty and automatic ejection
    Uh, it was a penalty.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...7090--nfl.html

  16. #64
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,478

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Yeah, or fans just know the diffrence between "bad calls" (which every team gets) and the "new" refs not knowing the rules.....combined with them being point blank afriad to make a call.
    So bad calls are acceptable?

  17. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No one is perfect. Even the best make mistakes. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady have each thrown plenty of interceptions over the course of their long careers, but that doesn't change the fact that they have been superior talents to virtually everyone else that played in their era. That's the same case with the regular officials. Sure they would screw up, but in no way were they as incompetent as these replacement officials. Just like Peyton throwing a pick doesn't mean that he's all of the sudden Rex Grossman.
    Please do not ever use Peyton and Sexy Rexy in the same sentence again. Thank you

    The NFL is the most superior brand of football in the entire world. The regular officials had spent years reffing and watching this game. There is no way that some guys who reffed in a bunch of joke leagues could come in and ref as well as the guys who had been doing this for years. They are completely incompetent compared to the real refs.
    I keep hearing about the one guy who came from the lingerie football league You cant make that stuff up....

  18. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How often have regular NFL referees give a coach extra replay challenges... TWICE?

    How many times have regular referees, to your recollection, marked off a 15 yard penalty with a 27 yard walk-off on a game-winning drive? (Tennessee game yesterday).
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...winning-drive/

    These types of things are far far beyond the realm of unfortunately timed bad judgement calls.

    If this continues, the season as a whole deserves an asterisk, as a season that was not fairly decided on the field of play.
    Or marked off the wrong penalty yardage NUMEROUS times per year.

    Come last, they marked off a U.C. and a false start (a 20 yard penalty) as a 25 yard penalty.

    How hard is it to count properly? I am an idiot when it comes to math and I can tell you 15 + 5 = 20

  19. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So bad calls are acceptable?
    I dont think "acceptable" is the right word, but they are going to happen.

    But we arent just seeing "bad calls". We are seeing "horrible calls" and a simple "lack of knoweldge of NFL rules"

    Its one thing to miss a call (PI or not, push off or not) but not knowing the rules?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

    I am telling you, the refs are afriad to make a mistake. They are afriad of the players. They cant keep up with the game.

    The NFL refs are in over there head.

    Look, last week I woulda agreed with you. People *****ed, but it was not horrible (week 1 actually wasnt bad at all, week 2 was worse but still acceptable). Sorry, after this week it was a **** show.

    I am not exadgerating at all when I say I would not be surprised to see an all out brawl break out at some time.....and the refs will simply stand around and probably not throw any flags....

  20. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought I heard it was picked up.

    Regardless, it should have been an ejection IMO

  21. #69
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,478

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    The worst part of it all is that it's not just the Lions drawing the short end of the stick with the refs. I know seemingly every week the Lions get screwed, but there were some horrendous calls in every game this past weekend. If this is the best the NFL has to offer, then there is a serious problem with the state of the referees, because they are downright awful. Until the NFL actually does something to improve the officiating, chances are there will continue to be more bad calls in key moments, and the game of football is going to suffer as a result.
    http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2012/1...yoffs-referees


    That's after a playoff game last year. Officials screwing up, and people lambasting them for being an embarassment to the NFL isn't new this year. That's the point.

    If you think that NFL officials are going to come back, and suddenly no one is going to have issues with the way the game is being officiated, then you're in complete denial about the level at which people complain about officiating. Bringing back the NFL officials isn't going to magically rectify the situation, when they get more than their fair share of cricitisms.

  22. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    To their credit the NFL is trying to improve the refs, and they want them to be full time officials (which they will never want, cause 99% of them are lawyers, doctors, or lobbyist and reffing is a PT job). At least the NFL was addressing the NFL had a problem, and I dont think I know anyone who said the regular refs were perfect....or even great.

    However, they were around the game enough and point blank (to me at least) they knew the rules.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you think that NFL officials are going to come back, and suddenly no one is going to have issues with the way the game is being officiated, then you're in complete denial about the level at which people complain about officiating. Bringing back the NFL officials isn't going to magically rectify the situation, when they get more than their fair share of cricitisms.
    No one (that I have heard) is saying that.

    They are saying having pee wee refs who dont know the rules (and have the 49ers TWO challenges when they are OUT OF TIMEOUTS) ref NFL games is not acceptable

  23. #71

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread




    LOL at Collinsworth saying "Oher almost held Ninkovich there"

    Meaning, of course,

    "that is as blatant a hold as humanly possible, but this is the 10th time it's happened, and if I complain too much Goodell will start sending electric shocks through the seat of the chair I am sitting on"
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  25. #72
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,478

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    It's not been directly said, but that's the logical conclusion.

  26. #73
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,185
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    If the NBA refs went on strike, and a similar situation to this occured with replacing them, people would be thrilled initially, then realize how horrible the new refs would be and feel at least a little better about the current refs.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:


  28. #74
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    Story, with pictures, of one particular mishap from the AZ-PHI game (wish I could embed the whole thing)
    http://bloggingthebeast.com/2012/09/...with-pictures/




    "Wait… what’s this? Now Patrice O’Neal’s long lost twin brother joins the conversation"

  29. #75

    Default Re: Ref'ing thread

    It would be great if season ticket holders banded together and sued the NFL for delivering an inferior product.

    A judge would likely throw the case out, but before he did, maybe the owners would be shamed sufficiently to get the negotiations moving.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Similar Threads

  1. The "Thread / Post of the Year 2009" Thread
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 05-18-2009, 03:56 PM
  2. The Official PD Thread draft thread
    By travmil in forum Yahoo! Fantasy League
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: 11-10-2006, 06:45 PM
  3. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-15-2006, 02:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •