Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ref'ing thread

Default Ref'ing thread

looks like the zebras will be an issue for a while.

highlight to this story, is that NFL "called the Georgia Dome" at halftime of DEN-ATL to get Fox/DelRio to tone it down...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/84...se-source-says

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ref'ing thread

the NFL Powers To Be are looking like jack@sses.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Still would like to know who thought it would be a great idea to hire a World Series of Poker player as a ref.

http://calvinayre.com/2012/08/09/spo...gambles-again/
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

There has always been bad calls, but the calls this year have been horrible. I do not blame the replacement refs. They are doing the best they can. If the NFL does not get something figured out with the regular refs by week 10, the replacements will finish the season IMO. At some point, the replacements will get better at calling the games and make less mistakes. It is a catch 22 for the league, refs, and fans.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rev. Colt For This Useful Post:

Looks like this game was a real cluster...

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=320923010

wow OAK receivers got laid out helmet to helmet on 2 consecutive plays...no flags...

that was a huge scumbag play by Mundy

...but they will try to get away with stuff like that as long as these mooks are wearing the stripes..
    Last edited by dal9; 09-23-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Its disgusting that the NFL is letting this go on. Hits like DHB just took are happening in every game and a lot of the are going uncalled because the officials don't have a clue. I was very happy DHB gave the thumbs up because that was an extremely scary moment.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=320923028

Then it got weird. Griffin was sacked for a 15-yard loss. Then he spiked the ball with 7 seconds left. Then tight end Fred Davis was called for a false start. Then coach Marvin Lewis and the Bengals, anticipating a 10-second runoff, thought the game was over and walked onto the field en masse. Then an official called an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on a livid Redskins sideline.The officials -- replacement refs while the regulars are locked out in a labor dispute with the league -- marked off a total of 25 yards for the two penalties, instead of 20.
    The refs dont know the ****ing rules!

"personal foul, 27 yard penalty, first down."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/84...-week-3-themes

I've consistently seen that refs are throwing the flag in response to players complaining. To me, this is one way they are losing credibility. The players feel like they are the ones officiating the game. 3 bad calls/non-calls, IMHO, against the Colts today, but I'm seeing it in every game.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Banta For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

the players have no respect for these officials. thats why we are seeing so many fights and such. usually cause the ref's wont do a thing.

Also, how is a field goal a non reviewable play? I'm pretty sure that the Ravens hit it tonight, but the refs can't even take a look at it? that is ridiculous

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Still would like to know who thought it would be a great idea to hire a World Series of Poker player as a ref.

http://calvinayre.com/2012/08/09/spo...gambles-again/
    I can't believe the potential gambling issues of this aren't a GIGANTIC issue. Millions, probably billions, are bet on the NFL every week. One of these refs who may not have a job tomorrow could make huge money pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I can't believe the potential gambling issues of this aren't a GIGANTIC issue. Millions, probably billions, are bet on the NFL every week. One of these refs who may not have a job tomorrow could make huge money pretty easy.

There should be some huge fines handed down today. Players should be suspended for 2-3 games for some of the hits
    I saw yesterday. Houston's QB took a viscious helmet to helmet hit that looked very intentional.
    If they want to stop that after one hit 1 game penalty, 2 nd hit 3 games and a third you are out for the season.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

If Dick Bavetta and Ted Valentine became replacement NFL officials, it might be an UPGRADE.

Now THAT is something scary.

We are seeing the worst officiating in Earth's history.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What's insulting is that the NFL tries to act like everything is just fine and that everyone complaining about this is crying over nothing. What an arrogant commissioner.

There was a ridiculous pass interference called on New England in (I think) the 4th quarter. Collingsworth looked at it and simply said something like: "I hope that they (the real officials) are working on a deal right now." I'm glad that the people who call the games aren't trying to cover up for the NFL. The media who partner with the NFL have been very good about exposing this fiasco for what it is.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

You saying this doesn't happen with the official refs?

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This eff'ing ref'ing has been eff'ing awful.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

I think we're going to have these replacement sloths of officials for the rest of the year
    "We want Miami"

She's not the one I would be worried about, but if a professional gambler got through, how many Tim Donaghys got through too?

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    If Dick Bavetta and Ted Valentine became replacement NFL officials, it might be an UPGRADE.
    Actually, I didn't think Knick Bavetta was all that awful this past year....

The 70,000 home fans screaming "bull$*it" at the top of their lungs made the refs downright scared in the late game last night.

Merely supremely bad officiating, in both directions, suddenly became "From this point forward, to get us out of here in one piece, the Ravens can do no wrong. If the Ravens tackle a pass rusher, so be it. If Ray Lewis wants to tackle Rob Gronkowski on 3rd down as he goes out for a pass, well, he's Ray Lewis. If Ravens receivers push off to get open, fine, let's just get out of here as soon as possible with the fans satisfied."
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Yeah, no player/coach/fan ever complains about real NFL refs...

I understand there are issues with referees, but people just go off and pretend like officiating is something that people just don't simply ***** about all the time anyways. And before I get the whole "Yeah, but not at this level" reasoning, let me remind you the Steelers-Seahawks SB.
    Last edited by Since86; 09-24-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Ummm... the most first downs by penalty in any game in the HISTORY of the NFL. 8 instances of after-the-whistle extra contact/jawing, in the 1st quarter alone, with no flags.

With all due respect, I think long-time NFL fans can tell the difference between an ill-timed unfortunate judgement call and sheer incompetence, Since86.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

The thing these refs are missing consistently though are helmet hits or hits to a player's head in general. Yesterday they missed two in the Colts game that I noticed, one was when Luck slid and was hit in the head as he was sliding. The other was a pass interference that should have been called, but more specifically Donnie Avery was hit in the damn head by the DB and nothing was called. Someone is going to be seriously hurt if they don't at least start making these calls correctly at the least.

Obviously the DHB hit was scary, but I have never seen more late hits on QBs go uncalled as what is happening right now. The defense just simply does not respect these refs. They are lining up for late hits on QBs as soon as they leave the pocket. RGIII has gotten them, Matt Ryan has gotten them in games that I've watched. A QB is going to be seriously hurt. I feel like they have put skirts on them to an extent the past few years, but with these replacement refs who IMO simply cannot keep up with the speed of the game, the amount of late hits on QBs has sky rocketed IMO and they are coming when any QB tries to run.

I mean if we say rookie players have to adjust to the speed of the game how can we expect scab referees to keep up with it? They simply cannot keep up with everything that is happening. They are so worried about making the right calls that they are missing dangerous penalties.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 09-24-2012 at 10:39 AM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    What's insulting is that the NFL tries to act like everything is just fine and that everyone complaining about this is crying over nothing. What an arrogant commissioner.

There was a ridiculous pass interference called on New England in (I think) the 4th quarter. Collingsworth looked at it and simply said something like: "I hope that they (the real officials) are working on a deal right now." I'm glad that the people who call the games aren't trying to cover up for the NFL. The media who partner with the NFL have been very good about exposing this fiasco for what it is.
    Dakich has been unbearable about this. Normally I like him, but he is taking the stance that the officiating isn't that bad just to be the guy who plays the other side and it is absolutely the most annoying thing in the world.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post: