Thread: I didn't pay attention this summer. What did I miss?

Hybrid View

Default I didn't pay attention this summer. What did I miss?

Hey gang! Is there a "end-of-summer recap" available anywhere? I know there were some big moves (Dwight to LA) but I don't really have a feel for what's really changed this offseason.

Any pointers?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: I didn't pay attention this summer. What did I miss?

I didn't completely pay attention either but I did hear a couple things.

Donny Walsh is back. He's replacing Larry who decided to play for the Celtics again. I guess they're going for one last finals run.

The Magic where holding out on trading Howard, this whole time, until they got Al Harrington in the deal.

You can probably find some stuff here (even though "football" is in the site name, they also talk about basketball I guess): http://walterfootball.com/nbadraftoffseasonblog.php

Mood

Sorry that I'm making you read bleacherreport...but there is also this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-nba-offseason

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How far back of a recap are we looking at?

In no particular order:

Portland offered Roy Hibbert a lot of money.
    George Hill on the other hand was signed rather quickly, then PD almost rioted when it was disclosed how much he was signed for.
    Dwight Howard was going to New Jersey
    Paul George spent time in Vegas with the US Olympic Team instead of working on his ball handling.
    Dwight Howard was going to Houston
    Roy Hibbert talked to a radio producer in Portland who called him while Roy was eating breakfast with his family
    Someone who was fortunately not the Pacers offered Eric Gordon a ******** of money. PD went into mourning.
    The required OJ Mayo to Indiana speculation occured
    Dwight Howard was going to Istanbul
    A "Just Say No to Chris Kaman" Twitter campaign was started
    Someone chased down Roy Hibbert in the Washington to stop him from getting on a plane to Portland
    Paul George spent time working on his shot instead of working on his ball handling.
    The Pacers traded Darren and Dahntay for Ian Mahimi. PD lost what little teneous grip of reality it had left.
    OJ Mayo signed with Dallas
    The Magic nearly traded Dwight Howard to themselves.
    DJ Augustine signed and most of PD was still too busy rioting over the Mahimi deal to really take notice.
    Gerald Green signed and everyone started following one of two fake Gerald Green twitters.
    Roy and George signed and PD rioted because Scola and Brand were amnestied right after the press conference.
    People complained about Paul George not working on his ball handling
    Somebody resurrected a discussion about Brandon Rush's 3pt shooting
    Someone accused a PDer of being Walshs' son in law
    Dwight Howard was actually traded to LA
    Paul George went to China and threw down a dunk that left Lebron in awe. People thought he should have been working on his ball handling instead.

... I think I'm up to August 25th...
    Last edited by Sandman21; 09-23-2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: sorry y'all guess I found an nonautoflagged word
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

5. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How far back of a recap are we looking at?

In no particular order:

Portland offered Roy Hibbert a lot of money.
    George Hill on the other hand was signed rather quickly, then PD almost rioted when it was disclosed how much he was signed for.
    Dwight Howard was going to New Jersey
    Paul George spent time in Vegas with the US Olympic Team instead of working on his ball handling.
    Dwight Howard was going to Houston
    Roy Hibbert talked to a radio producer in Portland who called him while Roy was eating breakfast with his family
    Someone who was fortunately not the Pacers offered Eric Gordon a ******** of money. PD went into mourning.
    The required OJ Mayo to Indiana speculation occured
    Dwight Howard was going to Istanbul
    A "Just Say No to Chris Kaman" Twitter campaign was started
    Someone chased down Roy Hibbert in the Washington to stop him from getting on a plane to Portland
    Paul George spent time working on his shot instead of working on his ball handling.
    The Pacers traded Darren and Dahntay for Ian Mahimi. PD lost what little teneous grip of reality it had left.
    OJ Mayo signed with Dallas
    The Magic nearly traded Dwight Howard to themselves.
    DJ Augustine signed and most of PD was still too busy rioting over the Mahimi deal to really take notice.
    Gerald Green signed and everyone started following one of two fake Gerald Green twitters.
    Roy and George signed and PD rioted because Scola and Brand were amnestied right after the press conference.
    People complained about Paul George not working on his ball handling
    Somebody resurrected a discussion about Brandon Rush's 3pt shooting
    Someone accused a PDer of being Walshs' son in law
    Dwight Howard was actually traded to LA
    Paul George went to China and threw down a dunk that left Lebron in awe. People thought he should have been working on his ball handling instead.

... I think I'm up to August 25th...
    This post is all sorts of awesome and perfectly sums up PD this past summer

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

the overpaying of george hill
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    the overpaying of george hill
    Forgive him. Hes part of a movement that can't objectively look at how NBA free agency works.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Paul George is changing his jersey number next year, so that he can play for the Lakers in two years...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

You forgot that PG hired a coach to work on his handles. And he's actually been working on his handles since May. I guess since he didn't tweet that everyone just assumed he wasn't doing it.

Hill=slightly overpaid, but not grossly. I do think he would have gotten less if the Pacers let the market dictate Hill's salary instead of just offering him a deal within 24 hours after the start of the offseason.
    Ian=Good deal. He put up #'s similar to Robin Lopez and Robin is making $1M more/yr.
    Green=Great deal. Comes with an "if". If he plays like he did with the Nets, this is the steal of the summer.
    DJ=Good deal. He was a starter for a bad team. I think he'll be a solid backup.

Drafted Plumlee - supposedly a Foster-clone, but they only drafted him cause he neverbarely played in college and he turned out an excellent draft workout by jumping out of the gym. Apparently a 7ft player that can jump really high is worth a first rounder now. Not to mention he's like 25 years old and still considered a project...yeah. Passed on guys that slipped like Moultrie, Teague and PJIII (could have been our version of RGIII, damn!). Def not my first, second, third, or fourth choice, I still think he ends up winning the backup PF spot by end of year, only cause I have 0 faith in Hans.
    Drafted OJ - Pacers figured they were going to get an OJ on the team one way or the other. He's similar to Lance in size and strength, but can shoot and never passes the ball. Passed on other players with more talent like Will Barton and Quincy Miller. If the Pacers decide to keep Sam Young, I'm not even sure he makes the team (unless he's guaranteed).

Not a great draft, and while I'm critical, it wasn't a bad draft either. Hard to get good talent when you are picking late (which is a good thing), however, there were more talented guys on the board. I guess I'm tired of boring picks. Talented players don't normally come to Indiana. Sometimes you have to take a chance, especially when you already have a deep roster. PJIII and Quincy Miller/Will Barton could have just sat for a year or two honing their skills (gaining some weight). It's not like Plumlee or OJ will play a lot this year. Would have been smarter to bring in guys that have deep talent, but are projects. Just my opinion.

All in all, I think the Pacers had one hell of an offseason. You know that deep bench the Pacers were supposed to have last year? Well, they actually have a deep bench this year! Boom, baby!

Let's start the season already. At least I can start my season, Oct 2 when I get my copy of 2K13. Although My Player will get the starting job for the Pacers by the first 20-30 games. I only say this, cause I'm not sure if I'll suck in the Rookie Showcase to get drafted by the Pacers, or blow up get drafted as high as possible and work to get traded to Indiana (which has never been easy in previous 2Ks for some reason).
    Last edited by Sparhawk; 09-23-2012 at 08:14 AM.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    You forgot that PG hired a coach to work on his handles. And he's actually been working on his handles since May. I guess since he didn't tweet that everyone just assumed he wasn't doing it.
    The timeline I wrote is meant to be tongue in cheek.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Plumlee's incredibly divisive. And he should be, I don't like the pick, but it's grown on me. A lot of "he didn't show his offensive arsenal at Duke" talk/turd polishing. I'm skeptical. But Brad Miller was the same way at Purdue, and we all know what kind of spot shooter he turned out to be, so there is a precedent.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Plumlee's incredibly divisive. And he should be, I don't like the pick, but it's grown on me. A lot of "he didn't show his offensive arsenal at Duke" talk/turd polishing. I'm skeptical. But Brad Miller was the same way at Purdue, and we all know what kind of spot shooter he turned out to be, so there is a precedent.
    Miller was a productive offensive player at Purdue and later became an NBA all-star. Plumlee has shown far more athleticism but not so much skill.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Miller was a productive offensive player at Purdue and later became an NBA all-star. Plumlee has shown far more athleticism but not so much skill.
    Miller was an inside player at Purdue and became a prolific jump shooting big in the NBA. That's what I'm talking about.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

PLUMLEE DISCUSSION ONLY IN THIS POST

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Miller was an inside player at Purdue and became a prolific jump shooting big in the NBA. That's what I'm talking about.
    Brad's issue was motivation, not ability. When he missed out at the draft I think he got a fire in his butt and that changed his fortunes.

Contrast that with Plumlee getting approval for whatever the F that was he was doing the last couple of years. To me this is more like expecting Hassan Whiteside to learn how to ball once he got to the NBA, and now he's been cut instead. Plumlee is closer to being Daniel Orton than Brad Miller at this point.

Very few guys underwhelm in college and then last in the NBA. Guys get drafted low, but often they performed well in college and just dismissed as an NBA prospect (Sam Young, Buddinger, etc). Sometimes they are foreign or have injury concerns. That's usually how you get a surprise. There's almost no "he did jack squat at a major program, but now he's dialed in". I mean compare Brad Miller's numbers to Plumlee.

Miller (MPG, PPG/RPG/AST, BLK, STL) - final 2 years
    30.0, 15.8/8.6/2.7 1.6, 1.5

Plumlee (same)
    18.5, 5.7/5.9/0.5 0.7, 0.5

In both cases the games/minutes those final 2 years only increased slightly, performance went up slightly for both in a standard progression of development you see with most college guys. Often that first or even 2nd year are low PT and then the final 2 seasons you see a big jump with some fine tuning improvement in that 2nd year of the 2.

Also while scoring is not a PFs thing, the simple fact is that even non-scoring NBA guys can typically score 12-16 a game in college because they are flat out better than everyone. If not great scorers they are at least the strongest, quickest and/or best jumpers.

This is the problem with projecting development success in the NBA on guys that haven't shown it after at least 3 years of college. If they are a great athlete how was it they weren't destroying the many non-NBA athletes they were competing against on most nights? On rebound putback dunks alone a strong jumper will rack up 6-8 points per game.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 09-23-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You didn't pay attention? Well before Larry left, he pulled off that trade for Kobe and LeBron he talked about back during Super Bowl week

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

New improvements at the Fieldhouse in the form of a new center hung scoreboard and new sound system. Along with several hundred new monitors in the concourses.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

With the exception of training camp pick-ups Blake Ahearn and Ben Hansbrough, I'm impressed with our entire 18-man roster as it stands now. Yes, we'll be losing several guys before the season starts, but regardless, I've not been this excited for a Pacers team in a while...

Hill will have gotten better.
    Augustin is a clear improvement from Collison.
    This is Lance's year to prove his worth.
    Orlando Johnson won't get a ton of playing time, but he will get a chance to display his skillset.
    Green is our diamond in the rough, and a huge improvement over Dahntay Jones.
    Paul George will have gotten better.
    Granger should be reevaluating his role on the team, as he is now far from the cornerstone of this team.
    West may not get better, but he'll be just as good as he was last year. The only improvement is having an entire offseason to work with the team, unlike last year.
    Hibbert will probably have gotten better; even if he just worked on his footing, he'll have improved.
    Mahinmi (allegedly) was a better center than Robin Lopez last year, so supporting Roy will be a great opportunity for Ian.
    Plumlee was not a pick I wanted (who remembers June? PJ3 anyone?), but I have since come to terms with him. He might not get much time, but he shouldn't be completely useless to us.
    Pendergraph, pending his summer league injury, should come back better than ever. This is his fourth season, so he should be rounding out and improving any day now.
    Speaking of fourth season improvements, Tyler Hansbrough has been (annually) looking more like a bust. It should be a given that, if Psycho T reemerges, he will be traded by the deadline.

"Sunny D." Gaines could earn a spot on the roster, but has he done anything recently besides his huge buzzer beater vs. Cleveland that got him famous?
    Sam Young is a good pick-up, and a valuable player. His offense alone is an improvement over Dahntay's, and his defense is about on par.
    Luke Nevill, 7-2 Mountain West Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year (for 2009) was signed for TC, and could be beneficial if he's decent. However, I imagine he'll be back in the NBDL, or Australia or Russia by the start of the season.
    Ben Hansbrough and Blake Ahearn aren't necessarily on my list of players who will make the roster, but they both have a lot of intensity and hustle (as seen in Summer League), so they may end up on another NBA team by the time the season starts.

Everyone guaranteed for this team is an improvement over last year (DJA > DC; GG + OJ > DJ; Plum + Ian + JP > Hans). Of the training camp pick-ups, I would keep my eyes on Sam Young. And since I don't know much about Luke Nevill, he could, for all I know, be this year's skinny Fez.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

I did dial back in for the Summer League, and I thought Plumlee looked decent. Not awesome, but passable for such a late pick. I'm not concerned about blowing a late-20s pick.

What about our 2nd rounder? Any news on him? I really liked him in theory, but he was awful in SL.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Why isn't OJ signed as yet? Is he coming to camp?