Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ShamSports updates our salaries

Default ShamSports updates our salaries

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pa...ies/pacers.jsp

Team Option

Qualifying Offer
    Unguaranteed

Glad to see Hill's new deal's a flat 8 million per year, should it ever come down to it that's more tradeable down the line than had he gotten raises.

Some notes;
    Roy's deal has a 15% trade kicker
    Danny's got 200k worth of potential bonuses that are "unlikely"
    Lance's last year is fully unguaranteed but becomes guaranteed if he's on the roster after July 15, 2013. Also has 75k worth of potential "unlikely" bonuses.
    OJ's last year is unguaranteed, becomes guaranteed if on the roster after August 1, 2014

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Default Re: ShamSports updates our salaries

Wow, didn't realize we were that over the cap.

Thanks for pointing to this. However, there are a couple of comments on the mouseovers for the player names that imply that these data might not be totally trustworthy.

For example, it says that Gerald Green signed a 4 year deal. It also says that Indiana matched Portland's offer letter, when in fact Portland simply dropped their offer once they found out that Indy was going to accept.

Mahinmi and Green are both also flat. I wonder if other teams are doing this for mid-tier type of players under the new CBA. I'm sure it would help make managing the cap a lot easier. If it is a league wide trend I think it would be a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It also says that Indiana matched Portland's offer letter, when in fact Portland simply dropped their offer once they found out that Indy was going to accept.
    That is just semantics.

The Green mouseover is obviously just at typo, he's got the same reported contract details as everywhere else in the actual chart.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 09-22-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Sports Logo

I knew that Hill's contract is terrible as soon as the details for it were coming out, but looking at it like that makes me think even more what was going through our FO's minds when they gave him that contract...
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    I knew that Hill's contract is terrible as soon as the details for it were coming out, but looking at it like that makes me think even more what was going through our FO's minds when they gave him that contract...
    A young starting PG with potential upside who gets along with his teammates well. Yes totally not worth 8 million dollars. Because as we all know everyone and their mother is just clamoring to come to Indiana and play.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Just be glad it's 8,8,8,8,8 and not 6,7,8,9,10.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    A young starting PG with potential
    He turns 27 in a few months. It's safer to say that he's in his prime than saying that he's a "young rising point guard with potential".
    As for his "starter" status, he only got it because our other point guard (which we traded for a backup center..) got injured. You could say he was our starting point guard for the playoffs, but he didn't exactly shine there (13.5/2.3/2.9 with 2 TO/game)
    who gets along with his teammates well.
    Yeah, how many players get paid because they get along with their teammates?
    Because as we all know everyone and their mother is just clamoring to come to Indiana and play.
    D.J Augustin came for 1/$3.5m...
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

He turns 27 in a few months. It's safer to say that he's in his prime than saying that he's a "young rising point guard with potential".
    As for his "starter" status, he only got it because our other point guard (which we traded for a backup center..) got injured. You could say he was our starting point guard for the playoffs, but he didn't exactly shine there (13.5/2.3/2.9 with 2 TO/game)

Yeah, how many players get paid because they get along with their teammates?

No he was our starting PG, because when he got his chance to play the team was better than with DC. And its not fair to take his playoff numbers. Plenty of guys on our team had their numbers go down. And yes George Hill is young. Hes only been in the league what, 3 or 4 years. Hes still developing as a player both Mentally and physically.'

Not many, but better to have somebody who does than somebody who doesn't. Getting jerks on your team leads to situations like umm the Pacers 4 years ago.

Somebody took a one year deal to get the hell out of Charlotte. Yeah that totally means people are willing to come here to play.

If those salary figures are correct, Scola would have been a very unlikely target even without the timing issues of Hibbert/Hill signing first. Even if the Pacers had gotten him for the same amount the Suns did, that would have left them less than 0.5 million away from the luxury tax (that's also without Ahern, Gaines, and Young). I doubt the Pacers want to get that close and lose all in season flexibility to add a 15th man or make a trade. And of course to win the bid, they would have had to bid even more than the Suns did and thereby get even closer to the tax level.

Brand would have been a possibility to fit in if not for the timing issues.

Overall though, if the Pacers keep two of Gaines, Ahern, and Young, they'll be about 3.3 million away from the tax level. They perhaps could have spent a little more, but they didn't leave a huge amount of money on the table.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is probably a reason DJ signed here. What has he done exactly?

I don't get the Hill hatred on here. He was very solid last year, 8 mil is a good deal. Slightly overpaid maybe, but not worth the hate he gets on here.

@Pacers24Colts12

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacers24Colts12 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Because anywhere was better than Charlotte.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

So we are 2 million from the luxury tax, I thought it was 3, but we didn't have near the room to maneuver people acted like we did. Some people wanted major moves which wasn't in the cards with what we had.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Storytellers updated them like 6 months ago and even hoopsworld has done a much better job in keeping them up to date.

Let's see if they made lesser mistakes.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    So we are 2 million from the luxury tax, I thought it was 3, but we didn't have near the room to maneuver people acted like we did. Some people wanted major moves which wasn't in the cards with what we had.
    We were at $65m before signing the unguaranteed trio of Gaines, Young, and Ahearn. We had a little bit more room.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    If those salary figures are correct, Scola would have been a very unlikely target even without the timing issues of Hibbert/Hill signing first. Even if the Pacers had gotten him for the same amount the Suns did, that would have left them less than 0.5 million away from the luxury tax (that's also without Ahern, Gaines, and Young). I doubt the Pacers want to get that close and lose all in season flexibility to add a 15th man or make a trade. And of course to win the bid, they would have had to bid even more than the Suns did and thereby get even closer to the tax level.
    Yup. Either Pacers couldn't work the timing (still seems like a BS excuse to me), figured Scola would cost more, or simply decided that keeping flexibility is the best option.

I'm not expecting more than 1 out of Gaines, Young, Ahearn to make the team, and even then he'd be an emergency use player. But I figure we want flexibility in case of injury, etc. We still have the $2.5m room exception to use, and space under the tax to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by MvPlumlee View Post
    Storytellers updated them like 6 months ago and even hoopsworld has done a much better job in keeping them up to date.
    I was using Storytellers while waiting for Sham to update, and I'm happy to see that they match line by line.

Sham does get details that other sites don't report (like Roy's trade kicker), but as far as I'm concerned, the more reliable salary sites, the better.

FWIW, I felt better about Hill's contract after reading Hollinger's report. He's not the best playmaker, true, but he's a low turnover guy, and his shooting, defense, rebounding are all above average. Still a bit too much money - I'd compare him to Arron Afflalo, who makes slightly less.

But I can see where you're coming from. My preference is still to have a true playmaker at PG, with Hill playing SG or even 6th man.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    We were at $65m before signing the unguaranteed trio of Gaines, Young, and Ahearn. We had a little bit more room.
    Yes but these are signings we knew we had to make, so you have to leave room for them as well. So while technically the room was there, you couldn't use it for the reason that you knew you needed it.

Yes but these are signings we knew we had to make, so you have to leave room for them as well. So while technically the room was there, you couldn't use it for the reason that you knew you needed it.
    Well, wait a minute. Including the unguaranteed contracts, we hav like 16 guys with a contract. That means that we had 13 guys under contract before the last 3 guys wer signed. So, technically, we didn't have to add another player. Isn't 13 the minimum you have to carry?

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Well, wait a minute. Including the unguaranteed contracts, we hav like 16 guys with a contract. That means that we had 13 guys under contract before the last 3 guys wer signed. So, technically, we didn't have to add another player. Isn't 13 the minimum you have to carry?
    Yes, but what's the point if you're already over the cap? Last year we added Barbosa with that roster space. This year we'd just be risking someone taking a player we wanted once someone got hurt with no potential gain from it.

I'd argue that if we had used the money for something else, we wouldn't be making so many camp signings now. Depends on what you think is important I guess.

Btw, Sham has corrected the errors pointed out in this thread.
    Last edited by wintermute; 09-23-2012 at 04:01 PM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I'd argue that if we had used the money for something else, we wouldn't be making so many camp signings now. Depends on what you think is important I guess.
    What money? So you take 1,800,000 (2 camp guys) off and we are still only less than 4 million away from the tax. What type players make that money, that aren't on rookie contracts? Not many that are going to be a difference maker. It also brings you within pennies of the tax which we probably don't want to risk getting so close.

I'm not sure what kind of awesome moves that are worth complaining about that could have been made for that price.

The only way the team was going to be able to sign anybody else with experience was if Charlotte had accepted Tyler in a trade for DJ

What money? So you take 1,800,000 (2 camp guys) off and we are still only less than 4 million away from the tax. What type players make that money, that aren't on rookie contracts? Not many that are going to be a difference maker. It also brings you within pennies of the tax which we probably don't want to risk getting so close.

I'm not sure what kind of awesome moves that are worth complaining about that could have been made for that price.
    i think people generally mean Scola/Brand bids in these situations. 4.6m Scola bid or 2.2m Brand were feasible, tax wise.
    Timing/want is the question in those situations rather than tax.