Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 129

Thread: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

  1. #26
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,635

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was?
    Of course not. Best record in the East till the Artest meltdown. Coach fired because 3rd in the East and a first round loss was considered unacceptable given the team's record, and Carlisle had already won CotY with his insta-fix of Detroit 2 years prior.

    Losing Miller hurt, but they were still supposed to be better than the year before. That's what firing Isiah said to the world.



    This year's team looks to be facing the same issues as last year. Nice team, going to be fun to root for, but I couldn't put real money (even) down on them making the Finals or even the ECF. To me they have to be 5 or 6-1 to make the ECF alone.


    I will be very pleased with a repeat of last season or something along those lines. I'm hoping for a push into the ECF, but that's on the shoulders of Roy, Danny, West, Paul and George who each need to improve for various reasons. Roy, Paul and George are supposed to be developing, Danny is supposed to be getting his game back on track after JOB and the terrible shooting to start last year, and West is supposed to be showing improvements with more time past his surgery. Otherwise this roster did not get more talented in a noticeable way, even if the bench pieces seem more interesting.

    Don't get me wrong, I love replacing DC for DJ (love that kid), Green for Jones (young and athletic), and Sam Young for Barbosa (Young was my "trade down and get him" draft choice back then). Maybe Mahimi is the difference maker over Lou.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  3. #27

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course not. Best record in the East till the Artest meltdown. Coach fired because 3rd in the East and a first round loss was considered unacceptable given the team's record, and Carlisle had already won CotY with his insta-fix of Detroit 2 years prior.

    Losing Miller hurt, but they were still supposed to be better than the year before. That's what firing Isiah said to the world.



    This year's team looks to be facing the same issues as last year. Nice team, going to be fun to root for, but I couldn't put real money (even) down on them making the Finals or even the ECF. To me they have to be 5 or 6-1 to make the ECF alone.


    I will be very pleased with a repeat of last season or something along those lines. I'm hoping for a push into the ECF, but that's on the shoulders of Roy, Danny, West, Paul and George who each need to improve for various reasons. Roy, Paul and George are supposed to be developing, Danny is supposed to be getting his game back on track after JOB and the terrible shooting to start last year, and West is supposed to be showing improvements with more time past his surgery. Otherwise this roster did not get more talented in a noticeable way, even if the bench pieces seem more interesting.

    Don't get me wrong, I love replacing DC for DJ (love that kid), Green for Jones (young and athletic), and Sam Young for Barbosa (Young was my "trade down and get him" draft choice back then). Maybe Mahimi is the difference maker over Lou.
    Big Deal, that still would have left them at what 6th best in the league. with most of the wins in the incredibly weak east. I don't remember anybody seriously talking about us being in contention until the season had already started that year.

    This team is far better poised to make a leap like that. Superteams have made teams more susceptible to individual injuries. Which could benefit us if one of those names is Durant or James. 4 Starters with legit potential to improve. And the East got weaker from last year, which should help us get a better record which gives us a better chance to have a better record if we do luck into the finals.

  4. #28
    Gotta Play Big
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,752

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, and this team is a championship contender. Are they one of the favorites no, but only an idiot would say they aren't a contender.
    If the 4th or 5th best team in the east is a contender for the NBA championship, the Pacers are a contender. We are behind Miami, Boston...and New York spanked us badly last year. Derrick Rose is scheduled to return as early as January and I would not be surprised to see him out there in March. If he's anywhere close to 100% they are clear favorites. The Sixers are our equal. The Hawks will have Horford back. The Nets and Cavs may not be better than the Pacers, but they will be much improved. The schedule will not be so condensed and our depth will be less of a positive factor. There's a reason we struggled to get by Orlando in the first round and it's because we are not a contender. No real contender struggles against Big Baby and company.

    Nobody outside Indiana considers the Pacers to be a contender for the NBA championship. We haven't even won a second round series.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  6. #29

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the 4th or 5th best team in the east is a contender for the NBA championship, the Pacers are a contender. We are behind Miami, Boston...and New York spanked us badly last year. Derrick Rose is scheduled to return as early as January and I would not be surprised to see him out there in March. If he's anywhere close to 100% they are clear favorites. The Sixers are our equal. The Hawks will have Horford back. The Nets and Cavs may not be better than the Pacers, but they will be much improved. The schedule will not be so condensed and our depth will be less of a positive factor. There's a reason we struggled to get by Orlando in the first round and it's because we are not a contender. No real contender struggles against Big Baby and company.

    Nobody outside Indiana considers the Pacers to be a contender for the NBA championship. We haven't even won a second round series.
    You keep repeating the same things, without backing them up at all. People including myself have refuted your points dozens of times. So your either trolling, or your just sticking your fingers in your ears and ignoring it.

    76ers lost 3 starters
    Knicks lost their PG that they sucked without, and they didn't spank us. They won the season series 2-1. With us missing George Hill 2 of those IIRC
    Bulls lost alot of pieces
    Celtics are who knows
    Hawks will have Horford back, but they lost Joe Johnson

  7. #30
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,322

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the 4th or 5th best team in the east is a contender for the NBA championship, the Pacers are a contender. We are behind Miami, Boston...and New York spanked us badly last year. Derrick Rose is scheduled to return as early as January and I would not be surprised to see him out there in March. If he's anywhere close to 100% they are clear favorites. The Sixers are our equal. The Hawks will have Horford back. The Nets and Cavs may not be better than the Pacers, but they will be much improved. The schedule will not be so condensed and our depth will be less of a positive factor. There's a reason we struggled to get by Orlando in the first round and it's because we are not a contender. No real contender struggles against Big Baby and company.

    Nobody outside Indiana considers the Pacers to be a contender for the NBA championship. We haven't even won a second round series.
    I don't agree with how you view some of the other teams (Philly aren't equal to us, Rose won't have such a quick comeback, Hawks will not be a serious factor without JJ)
    But I generally agree with you that we aren't contenders, and that we're probably going for that 3-4 seed.
    We don't have a superstar. We don't have a guy who dominates. We have a bunch of good players who are good guys that work hard on their game. Our balanced team is good enough to get a decent record and probably get past the 1st round, but I think best case for us is ECF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

  8. #31
    Gotta Play Big
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,752

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You keep repeating the same things, without backing them up at all. People including myself have refuted your points dozens of times. So your either trolling, or your just sticking your fingers in your ears and ignoring it.

    76ers lost 3 starters
    Knicks lost their PG that they sucked without, and they didn't spank us. They won the season series 2-1. With us missing George Hill 2 of those IIRC
    Bulls lost alot of pieces
    Celtics are who knows
    Hawks will have Horford back, but they lost Joe Johnson
    Just because I disagree with the notion we are a contender, does not mean I'm trolling. ...and I am backing up my statements.

    Miami is better. Period.

    You forgot to mention the Sixers added Bynum and JRich. Yes, they lost Iggy but they won the trade overall, particularly since Bynum is only 24 years old and is probably the best C in the east now. I think with that change they took a step forward.

    The Bulls lost nothing of importance. They still have Rose, Deng, Noah, Boozer, Taj Gibson...and they were rocking with Rip Hamilton prior to Rose's injury. They had the best record in the east by some distance. They also added Hinrich and Belinelli. There is little doubt they are the better team with a healthy DRose.

    The Celtics are going to be about the same as last year. We still have not proven we are better than them. There are three or possibly four teams that are better.

    The Knicks clearly had our number in the first two games. The game we won in Indiana was a game Stoudemire sat out. That might be five.

    The Nets are going to be a lot better too. The Hawks were a .600 team. We struggled to beat Orlando. Are these not facts? We may be better than those three, but I seriously doubt we can beat more than 5 of these 8 teams in a series.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  10. #32

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Wow now that you backed up your arguments, I can at least say your logic is flawed. I love how you just totally ignored the Knicks losing Lin, but hey you had to or else the claim would have been even more preposterous.

  11. #33
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,953
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the 4th or 5th best team in the east is a contender for the NBA championship, the Pacers are a contender. We are behind Miami, Boston...and New York spanked us badly last year. Derrick Rose is scheduled to return as early as January and I would not be surprised to see him out there in March. If he's anywhere close to 100% they are clear favorites. The Sixers are our equal. The Hawks will have Horford back. The Nets and Cavs may not be better than the Pacers, but they will be much improved. The schedule will not be so condensed and our depth will be less of a positive factor. There's a reason we struggled to get by Orlando in the first round and it's because we are not a contender. No real contender struggles against Big Baby and company.

    Nobody outside Indiana considers the Pacers to be a contender for the NBA championship. We haven't even won a second round series.
    There are quite a few national publications that are predicting we get the second seed in the East. Which qualifies as a contender. Whether that means much if Miami remains significantly better is up to you, but most people would qualify a team capable of putting up the second best seed in the east and a "contender". If anything the national publications have been higher on the team than many in this forum.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:


  13. #34
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,418

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Maybe the 76ers will be much improved from last year, but they are essentially a new team for all we know they will miss the playoffs this year. With Bynum's injury history it is certainly possible. There is probably a reason why JRich was traded twice in 3 seasons.

    Rose won't be coming back anywhere near 100%. We aren't talking about a minor injury that you can come back from and immediately be the same player as before. It takes time to return to form, and most players never fully recover, especially those who rely on their athleticism like Rose. They will still be a good team, but no better than us.

    Knicks, just stop it. They shouldn't even be in this discussion.

    The Nets added JJ, good for them. Is he really going to propel them from one of the worst teams in the league to better than the Pacers? Hell no, get serious here we aren't talking about LeBron James or Michael Jordan, we are talking about Joe Johnson.

    It is hard to say how good the Hawks will be without JJ. Horford being back will help them though.


    If struggling to beat Orlando is equivalent to beating them by an average of 10.8ppg or 14.5ppg not including the loss. Then I'm ok with struggling. The point margins in those games were 4, 15, 23, 2, and 18.

    Then if you want to look at the Heat, our starters more than held their own against the Heat. At times they down right dominated the Heat's starters. That is far from the Heat being better period. That is the Heat being lucky our bench was bad.

    This team was the 3rd seed for a reason last year. They didn't just get lucky. They were the third seed because they earned it, and they were a good bench away from possibly beating the eventual champs.

    All of those teams have problems just like the Pacers, most of them also have bigger changes from last year to this year. Stop being emo, and wake up to realize this team is good right now. Not a year or two from now, but today. This team is already competing at the same level as any contender. You know what they did it with two core players who were not on the team the prior season, a rookie head coach, a very short training camp, their best player having possibly his worst statistical season, a bench that wasn't very good as a unit, and a condensed season. This season we at worst have an equally good bench, most believe it is better, a full training camp, the starters have played a season together, by all means we should expect every single starter to be better than they were last year, and the same goes for our coach. Of all the teams you mentioned, other than the Heat we have the most to be optimistic about because we are essentially the same team as last season. We didn't lose any major players, and there is no reason to believe that any of our players won't be as good as they were last year. Last year we weren't far off from taking the Heat to 7 games or even winning that series.

    Just cause they have sexier and more established names doesn't mean they have better players, or more importantly a better team.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  15. #35
    Gotta Play Big
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,752

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow now that you backed up your arguments, I can at least say your logic is flawed. I love how you just totally ignored the Knicks losing Lin, but hey you had to or else the claim would have been even more preposterous.
    The Knicks don't lose much with Jason Kidd and Raymond Felton at the point. ...and they added several playoff experienced vets...now just role players...in Marcus Camby, Kurt Thomas and Ronnie Brewer. They are now ready for a run. Depth was a real problem for them and I think they addressed that and improved as a team.

    In any event, it is certainly not preposterous to claim that a team is better if they won the prior year's series and have Mello, Chandler, Stoudemire, JR Smith and JKidd in their starting unit. That is a lot of talent. Two of those guys are on the backside of their careers, but they are still highly effective players...in their prime better players than any Pacer by some distance.

    Edit: BTW, I don't think they pickup so many guys like Kidd, Camby, Thomas, etc. without those guys thinking this team has a chance. I really think some of you under-rate the Knicks...
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 09-23-2012 at 10:06 PM.

  16. #36
    Star Platinum Hypnotiq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,979

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, and this team is a championship contender. Are they one of the favorites no, but only an idiot would say they aren't a contender.


    far out get your hand of it guess there must be plenty of idiots in the world then according to you.

    we are not a contender we are a perennial 2nd round playoff team this is the cold hard truth and you can take it anyway you like
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:


  18. #37

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Well it really is safe to say that the Pacers are contenders this coming season due to the fact that they were holding the 5th best record in the league last season. I mean, with only DC as the biggest loss in the lineup, the team has retained most of its core that was successful recently, and we still have not considered the fact that the Pacers have beefed up their bench with better players and the other guys are improving.

    Also, until the season unfolds, new contenders on paper just like the Nets are still unsure quantities. Depending on how fast new main guys from other teams gel with the new system, new teammates and new environment, the solid groups like Miami, Boston, Indiana, OKC and LAL still holds the advantage of being contenders. Philly may have gotten the 2nd best center in the league, but Bynum never played the main role in LA, and with his history of injuries and bad attitude, I'm still not conviced he'll be better for the Sixer than Iggy. The loss of Rose may not affect Chicago in terms of being a sure playoff team, but we just saw their collapse without him in the playoffs. LA still have Kobe and Gasol, so the addition was really an "addition" and not simply change just like what the other teams did.

    But of course, the championship will still be long ways to go. With Miami and OKC at their prime, add the Lakers' sudden increase in firepower, it is still hard to realize a Pacers finals appearance and a championship trophy, but who knows? There are just too many variables in sports so at one point we'll be there faster than anybody can think of.

  19. #38
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,764

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What have the Magic, 76ers, Bulls, Knicks, and Hawks actually done to improve their roster. They made some moves to replace people they lost. But hardly enough to really say they have improved. Hell the 76ers are missing 3 starters from the playoffs last year. For all intents and purposes they are a new team
    Good job naming 5 teams in the league. Last time I checked there were more who HAVE made improvements to their roster. If you're trying to argue that teams in the NBA didn't improve with that pitiful sample size, you're mad.

  20. #39
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,764

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow now that you backed up your arguments, I can at least say your logic is flawed. I love how you just totally ignored the Knicks losing Lin, but hey you had to or else the claim would have been even more preposterous.
    How is his logic flawed? He's ignoring certain facts the same way you are. You stated that Philly lost 3 starters without stating that they also gained players, as he correctly pointed out. You also argue "Celtics are who knows." You make arguments like "Superteams have made teams more susceptible to individual injuries." If you're going to nag on him for flawed logic, maybe you should look back to your posts and take a good hard look at how unfounded your arguments are.

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:


  22. #40
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,912

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the 4th or 5th best team in the east is a contender for the NBA championship, the Pacers are a contender.
    The Pacers are not the 4th or 5th best team in the East. They rightfully earned that 3rd seed last season. So, until things are proven otherwise (say, the season starts and other teams are leapfrogging us or we're playing bad) the conviction will remain that the Pacers are the 3rd (or even 2nd now that Rose is out) best team in the East.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We are behind Miami, Boston
    Yes, we are behind Miami.

    But are we behind Boston? The only reason that Boston went to the ECF instead of us was because we played Miami in the 2nd round while they played Philly. They benefited from the Rose injury. Yes, they played great against Miami and had a lead against them but so did we.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...and New York spanked us badly last year.
    They spanked us the same way we spanked the Lakers and the Thunder. Were we better than them? Are we better than them?

    That's a pretty bad argument, my friend.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Derrick Rose is scheduled to return as early as January and I would not be surprised to see him out there in March. If he's anywhere close to 100% they are clear favorites.
    ACL is not a simple injury. ACL is nasty stuff. Regardless of how well the surgery went it's going to take a looooot of time to get back to 100%. Chances are that he will not be anywhere close to 100%.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Sixers are our equal.
    They got Bynum but lost 2 starters and their 6th man. In all regards, they are a new team. Time will tell if they are better than us, our equal or worse than us.


    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Hawks will have Horford back.
    But no Joe Johnson.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a reason we struggled to get by Orlando in the first round and it's because we are not a contender.
    We didn't struggle. We won 4 - 1 with an average margin of 18.5 points.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No real contender struggles against Big Baby and company.
    Boston went to 7 games with Philly and to 6 with Atlanta. Were they not contenders? If they weren't, then why did Miami went to 7 games with them?

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  24. #41
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,912

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The schedule will not be so condensed and our depth will be less of a positive factor.
    Ow and before I forget. Our depth was good in the regular season but in the playoffs they were a negative factor.

    Our starters in the other hand?

    Check out for yourself -> http://basketballvalue.com/index.php

    They steadily ranked among the elite as a unit.

  25. #42
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,912

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Nets added JJ, good for them. Is he really going to propel them from one of the worst teams in the league to better than the Pacers? Hell no, get serious here we aren't talking about LeBron James or Michael Jordan, we are talking about Joe Johnson.
    There's a reason they were on the worst teams in the league, though. Brook Lopez was injured for the most part of the season and their Center spot was filled by Shelden Williams (at least, he is a good defender) and Johan Petro. They only got Gerald Wallace after the trade deadline. They had no real depth.

    This season they're going to have Gerald Wallace right out from the gates. Brook Lopez will be back and injury-free and they also added Joe Johnson. Plus, they have depth now. Mirza Teletovic is ready to contribute as an off-the bench scorer, Tornike Shengelia is an amazing prospect as a Forward, Blatche may be a headcase but he has talent and Childress is a good bench contributor (he cannot shoot but he can drive and is athletic).

    I consider the Nets a much better threat than the Knicks. They are going to be good.

  26. #43
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,912

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    we are not a contender we are a perennial 2nd round playoff team this is the cold hard truth and you can take it anyway you like
    So, if the Pacers reach the ECF this season will you consider them a contender and accept the "cold hard truth" or will you consider them lucky and stick by your opinion?

  27. #44
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,912

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Knicks don't lose much with Jason Kidd and Raymond Felton at the point. ...and they added several playoff experienced vets...now just role players...in Marcus Camby, Kurt Thomas and Ronnie Brewer. They are now ready for a run. Depth was a real problem for them and I think they addressed that and improved as a team.

    In any event, it is certainly not preposterous to claim that a team is better if they won the prior year's series and have Mello, Chandler, Stoudemire, JR Smith and JKidd in their starting unit. That is a lot of talent. Two of those guys are on the backside of their careers, but they are still highly effective players...in their prime better players than any Pacer by some distance.

    Edit: BTW, I don't think they pickup so many guys like Kidd, Camby, Thomas, etc. without those guys thinking this team has a chance. I really think some of you under-rate the Knicks...
    Jason Kidd averaged 6.2 PPG, 5.5 APG, 4.1 RPG, 1.7 SPG and 1.9 TPG last season. Those were his career lows in every category except steals (which was the same with last season) which makes sense as he will be 39 years old in the following season.

    Raymond Felton also posted career lows in PPG (11.4) and RPG (2.5) and his second worse in APG (6.5) and SPG (1.3) Plus, he shot an abbysmal 30.6% from the field.

    Marcus Camby averaged 4.9 PPG, 9.0 RPG, 1.8 APG and 1.4 BPG last season. Those were career lows in every category except points (4.7 is his lowest). He improved his FG% from 39.8% to 44.6% but that's still a bad percentage for a Center. And he will be 38 years old in 2013.

    Kurt Thomas averaged 3.0 PPG and 3.5 RPG. He tied his career low in scoring but that's his worse rebounding season by a large margin (2nd worst is at 4.2 RPG). His blocks and assists close to his career averages but 0.9 APG and 0.6 BPG is nothing to write home about. And he will be 40 years old in 2013.

    Ronnie Brewer was a good addition.

    The other ones though? They are not going to make all the difference in the world.

  28. #45
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,871
    Mood

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    I think Pacers have a chance to win it all and I'm going in this season believing. Don't care what anyone thinks. One word could prevail... Chemistry!
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  29. #46
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As I recall that 61 win team with JO and Artest was quite a surprise.
    Nope. Excellent coach coming in to one of the most talented rosters in the NBA. not surprised at all. (I mean maybe 61 wins was a little higher than most predicted, but I would guess 58 was the consensus
    . Here is what some experts from SI thought.

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...cks/index.html
    Finally, what teams will be in the NBA's Final Four?

    Aldridge: East: Detroit and Miami. West: San Antonio and Minnesota.
    Ballard: East: Miami and Indiana. West: San Antonio and Minnesota.
    Burns: East: Detroit and Indiana. West: San Antonio and Minnesota.
    Forrester: East: Detroit and Indiana. West: San Antonio and Houston.
    Hollinger: East: Indiana over Detroit, because Jamaal Tinsley won't get hurt this time. West: San Antonio over Dallas -- Barry gives the Spurs a new alternative when Tony Parker starts playing crazy.
    McCallum: I hate to be obvious and unoriginal, but I like Detroit and Indiana in the East and San Antonio and Minnesota in the West.
    Thomsen: East: Detroit and Miami. West: San Antonio and Minnesota.
    __________________________________________________ ________________


    Not sure if the Pacers will win "next season" but for this season, I don't see the Pacers in the elite with Heat, Thunder, Lakers. Those three are the class of the NBA - I'd be shocked if the champion isn't one of those three. Pacers would do well to be in the second level teams.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 09-24-2012 at 09:42 AM.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  31. #47
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,566

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope. Excellent coach coming in to one of the most talented rosters in the NBA. not surprised at all. (I mean maybe 61 wins was a little higher than most predicted, but I would guess 58 was the consensus
    . Here is what some experts from SI thought.

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...cks/index.html
    Finally, what teams will be in the NBA's Final Four?

    Aldridge: East: Detroit and Miami. West: San Antonio and Minnesota.
    Ballard: East: Miami and Indiana. West: San Antonio and Minnesota.
    Burns: East: Detroit and Indiana. West: San Antonio and Minnesota.
    Forrester: East: Detroit and Indiana. West: San Antonio and Houston.
    Hollinger: East: Indiana over Detroit, because Jamaal Tinsley won't get hurt this time. West: San Antonio over Dallas -- Barry gives the Spurs a new alternative when Tony Parker starts playing crazy.
    McCallum: I hate to be obvious and unoriginal, but I like Detroit and Indiana in the East and San Antonio and Minnesota in the West.
    Thomsen: East: Detroit and Miami. West: San Antonio and Minnesota.

    Minnesota was an obvious pick going into 04-05, but they ended up not even making the playoffs that year. In 03-04, the additions of Spreewell and Cassell propelled them into the top seed in the West and they went all the way to the WCF's. KG was the MVP. But they came back the next year and couldn't even make the playoffs. Their rapid demise was without question the biggest surprise of the 04-05 season.

  32. #48
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,284
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Here's one sentence why we won't: Not enough $$$ generated for the NBA.


    Sent from #ColtsNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  33. #49
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,695

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    I think the new Bulls team, even with a healthy Derrick Rose, isn't as strong as it was last season. They kept their best bench player, Taj Gibson, but lost the other four from what was arguably the league's strongest second unit. I expect Chicago to make the playoffs again, possibly as high as the 5th seed, but I don't expect them to be contenders this year with all these one-year rental players.

    Out: Omer Asik, Ronnie Brewer, C.J. Watson, Kyle Korver and John Lucas III

    In: Kirk Hinrich, Marquis Teague, Nate Robinson, Marco Bellinelli, Nazr Mohammed and Vladimir Radmanovic

    Tom Thibodeau is certainly capable of building cohesion with this group and maxing out its potential. I just don't its potential being all that high. Moreover, I don't think the Bulls team (with a core of Boozer, Rose, Deng, Noah) that beat us in 2011, will ever return to its previous heights.
    Last edited by LoneGranger33; 09-24-2012 at 10:14 AM.

  34. #50
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,186
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope. Excellent coach coming in to one of the most talented rosters in the NBA. not surprised at all. (I mean maybe 61 wins was a little higher than most predicted, but I would guess 58 was the consensus
    . Here is what some experts from SI thought.

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...cks/index.html
    Finally, what teams will be in the NBA's Final Four?

    Aldridge: East: Detroit and Miami. West: San Antonio and Minnesota.
    Ballard: East: Miami and Indiana. West: San Antonio and Minnesota.
    Burns: East: Detroit and Indiana. West: San Antonio and Minnesota.
    Forrester: East: Detroit and Indiana. West: San Antonio and Houston.
    Hollinger: East: Indiana over Detroit, because Jamaal Tinsley won't get hurt this time. West: San Antonio over Dallas -- Barry gives the Spurs a new alternative when Tony Parker starts playing crazy.
    McCallum: I hate to be obvious and unoriginal, but I like Detroit and Indiana in the East and San Antonio and Minnesota in the West.
    Thomsen: East: Detroit and Miami. West: San Antonio and Minnesota.
    __________________________________________________ ________________


    Not sure if the Pacers will win "next season" but for this season, I don't see the Pacers in the elite with Heat, Thunder, Lakers. Those three are the class of the NBA - I'd be shocked if the champion isn't one of those three. Pacers would do well to be in the second level teams.
    Man there was references to Bender, Jim O'Brien, and Mike Dunleavy, and even a Ron Artest for Peja trade. Pretty funny to read looking back on it.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

Similar Threads

  1. Can we win a Championship this year.
    By aceace in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 03-08-2006, 03:29 PM
  2. Who will win the NBA championship this year?
    By Jumpin' Shaq Flash in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 05:17 PM
  3. Ronnie said we'll win the championship this year
    By Shade in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2004, 07:41 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 01:41 AM
  5. Can the Pacers win the NBA championship this year?
    By Shade in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 04:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •