Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

Default Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

-Roy Hibbert and Paul George have both shown good work ethic and both of them should come back improved
    -George Hill has had a whole summer just to work on his point guard skills so he should be a better facilitator and decision maker next year
    -Danny Granger struggled to find his role on the team last year but now he should know his role
    -David West is now a year removed from his knee surgery so he should be 100%
    -Gerald Green should add the scoring punch off the bench that we lacked in the playoffs last year
    -Ian Mahinmi gives the Pacers a solid back-up center, something we did not have last year after Jeff Foster retired
    -For all of those Darren Collison supporters out there, whether you like it or nor D.J. Augustin is a better fit for this team than what he was, this team needs a distributor and they got one in Augustin

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

-LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Kevin Durant, and Russell Westbrook will all suffer season ending injuries before the playoffs.
    -The Spurs and Celtics are really f***ing old. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...081218158.html

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

I personally am not sold on the Lakers, 2 old guys in the backcourt with a baby in the middle. Not sure its going to come together. The real teams to worry about are the Heat and Thunder.

And with the Heat, you know either Wade or Bosh will get hurt. We just have to be in a position to take advantage of it.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I've got as much belief in this team as anybody, but let's not get carried away here.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We will win this year because a no name rookie will start after tptb read the thread discussing whether or not that player should start...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Because I am still playing 2K12 using the Pacers on Rookie mode, and I am improving enough to actually win games on a consistent basis?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just one of Wade or LeBron suffering a season-ending injury would make Miami beatable. We can take Boston Senior Citizens with relative ease, so we're one lucky injury away from being the front-runners in the East. We'd then have to pull the upset in the Finals.

The Lakers look like monsters on paper, but the games aren't played on paper. Detroit proved superstarless teams can beat on-paper champions back in '04. It would take great chemistry and caching, but it can be done.

We have had some great teams in the 90's with Reggie and Rik and early 2000's with JO and Artest. The team we have now is good, but not at their level. Maybe in 3 or 4 years we can talk about contending, but at the moment we are just a mild threat.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

As I recall that 61 win team with JO and Artest was quite a surprise.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As I recall that 61 win team with JO and Artest was quite a surprise.
    It was?

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    It was?
    First year coach instilling a new offense. Aging SG, A bit of chaos at PG. 3rd best record in the weak east the year before, 9th best in the league. Next year we had the best record in the league. And had it not been O'neal getting hurt we would have probably won the championship.

Sports Logo

Lots of shoulda's and lots of theory, my friend.

However, there is a lot of reason for optimism. I don't expect us to win the Championship this year but we will go further than last year.

That's the plan, at least

Conference Finals
    Finals
    Championship

One step at the time, my friend. After next year

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MvPlumlee For This Useful Post:

Mood

Let's not be unrealistic. We are what we are right now, 2nd tier contenders.

We have a very good chance of beating anyone else in the East other than Miami, or Boston (assuming Pierce and Garnett are still able to perform like they did in the playoff last year next year.)

If Miami is injured again, and George or Hibbert makes a big step maybe.

But we don't know that yet. We can hope, but we can't make declarations at this point. I'm optimistic, but we just can't know yet. If we're the same as last year Miami is a fair bit better than we are. If we make the ECF it is a very successful season, and sets us up well to take that next step to the finals. ECF isn't a pie in the sky kind of thing, it has a real chance to happen, Finals, however, are very unlikely, though I hope it happens as much as anyone.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Whatever koolaid you're drinking, I want in on

In more seriousness though, it seems like you make the assumption that nobody else in the league is going to come back improved. Everybody in the NBA (aside from Eddy Curry) is working hard and improving their game. Other teams have made improvements to their roster talent wise as well.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MvPlumlee View Post
    Conference Finals
    Finals
    Championship

One step at the time, my friend. After next year
    Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    Let's not be unrealistic. We are what we are right now, 2nd tier contenders.

We have a very good chance of beating anyone else in the East other than Miami, or Boston (assuming Pierce and Garnett are still able to perform like they did in the playoff last year next year.)

If Miami is injured again, and George or Hibbert makes a big step maybe.

But we don't know that yet. We can hope, but we can't make declarations at this point. I'm optimistic, but we just can't know yet. If we're the same as last year Miami is a fair bit better than we are. If we make the ECF it is a very successful season, and sets us up well to take that next step to the finals. ECF isn't a pie in the sky kind of thing, it has a real chance to happen, Finals, however, are very unlikely, though I hope it happens as much as anyone.
    We're on the same page

I'm usually pretty pessimistic, but I think we have an outside shot at a title this year, maybe 20-1 odds. In my opinion the Pacers are the best of the second tier teams (Pacers, Clippers, Grizzlies, Sixers, Nuggets). With some good luck I see our path to the finals as this: Upset the Celtics in the second round, which I think is entirely possible. LeBron just played a compacted schedule and entire playoffs as well as the Olympics with the world on his back. If he ever has an off-year, this will be it. Then ride that momentum into the finals and hope we match up well with whoever comes out of the West.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    I'm usually pretty pessimistic, but I think we have an outside shot at a title this year, maybe 20-1 odds. In my opinion the Pacers are the best of the second tier teams (Pacers, Clippers, Grizzlies, Sixers, Nuggets). With some good luck I see our path to the finals as this: Upset the Celtics in the second round, which I think is entirely possible. LeBron just played a compacted schedule and entire playoffs as well as the Olympics with the world on his back. If he ever has an off-year, this will be it. Then ride that momentum into the finals and hope we match up well with whoever comes out of the West.
    You're a lot more confident about Lebron having an off year than I am. I'm a lot more inclined to say that when people look back in 25 years they'll say last season was the beginning of the Age Of Lebron and when he began to cement his status as the greatest player ever. Much the same way we look back at the Reggie Pacers and say "if it just weren't for the Bulls..." it's going to be that way with Miami from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    You're a lot more confident about Lebron having an off year than I am. I'm a lot more inclined to say that when people look back in 25 years they'll say last season was the beginning of the Age Of Lebron and when he began to cement his status as the greatest player ever. Much the same way we look back at the Reggie Pacers and say "if it just weren't for the Bulls..." it's going to be that way with Miami from here on out.
    This is probably closer to the truth. I may have mixed in a little Pacers Kool-Aid with my post. Like I said, 20-1, so about a 5% chance that happens.

Plumsanity!

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This is probably closer to the truth. I may have mixed in a little Pacers Kool-Aid with my post. Like I said, 20-1, so about a 5% chance that happens.
    That's fair, it's certainly a lot more fun to be somewhat optimistic. I wouldn't put a dime on it right now, but I think 20:1's a fair ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    Whatever koolaid you're drinking, I want in on

In more seriousness though, it seems like you make the assumption that nobody else in the league is going to come back improved. Everybody in the NBA (aside from Eddy Curry) is working hard and improving their game. Other teams have made improvements to their roster talent wise as well.
    What have the Magic, 76ers, Bulls, Knicks, and Hawks actually done to improve their roster. They made some moves to replace people they lost. But hardly enough to really say they have improved. Hell the 76ers are missing 3 starters from the playoffs last year. For all intents and purposes they are a new team

This is the classic summer time thread. The problem is, it's fall and we all need to wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This is the classic summer time thread. The problem is, it's fall and we all need to wake up.
    Yeah, and this team is a championship contender. Are they one of the favorites no, but only an idiot would say they aren't a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    You can't make a statement like this and be taken seriously. If you are going to say they aren't. State the teams that are contenders and why. And then compare and contrast why the Pacers aren't.