Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

Hybrid View

Default Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

-Roy Hibbert and Paul George have both shown good work ethic and both of them should come back improved
    -George Hill has had a whole summer just to work on his point guard skills so he should be a better facilitator and decision maker next year
    -Danny Granger struggled to find his role on the team last year but now he should know his role
    -David West is now a year removed from his knee surgery so he should be 100%
    -Gerald Green should add the scoring punch off the bench that we lacked in the playoffs last year
    -Ian Mahinmi gives the Pacers a solid back-up center, something we did not have last year after Jeff Foster retired
    -For all of those Darren Collison supporters out there, whether you like it or nor D.J. Augustin is a better fit for this team than what he was, this team needs a distributor and they got one in Augustin

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Why the Pacers will win the NBA Championship next year

-LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Kevin Durant, and Russell Westbrook will all suffer season ending injuries before the playoffs.
    -The Spurs and Celtics are really f***ing old. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...081218158.html

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

I personally am not sold on the Lakers, 2 old guys in the backcourt with a baby in the middle. Not sure its going to come together. The real teams to worry about are the Heat and Thunder.

And with the Heat, you know either Wade or Bosh will get hurt. We just have to be in a position to take advantage of it.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I've got as much belief in this team as anybody, but let's not get carried away here.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

Mood

We will win this year because a no name rookie will start after tptb read the thread discussing whether or not that player should start...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Because I am still playing 2K12 using the Pacers on Rookie mode, and I am improving enough to actually win games on a consistent basis?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Just one of Wade or LeBron suffering a season-ending injury would make Miami beatable. We can take Boston Senior Citizens with relative ease, so we're one lucky injury away from being the front-runners in the East. We'd then have to pull the upset in the Finals.

The Lakers look like monsters on paper, but the games aren't played on paper. Detroit proved superstarless teams can beat on-paper champions back in '04. It would take great chemistry and caching, but it can be done.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lance George For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just one of Wade or LeBron suffering a season-ending injury would make Miami beatable. We can take Boston Senior Citizens with relative ease, so we're one lucky injury away from being the front-runners in the East. We'd then have to pull the upset in the Finals.

The Lakers look like monsters on paper, but the games aren't played on paper. Detroit proved superstarless teams can beat on-paper champions back in '04. It would take great chemistry and caching, but it can be done.
    And we're one injury away from not even going to the playoffs. I don't see how we could use this as a beacon of hope let alone even mentioning lebron getting a season ending injury which is most likely not going to hapen since he's the complete opposite of injury prone.

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

We have had some great teams in the 90's with Reggie and Rik and early 2000's with JO and Artest. The team we have now is good, but not at their level. Maybe in 3 or 4 years we can talk about contending, but at the moment we are just a mild threat.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

As I recall that 61 win team with JO and Artest was quite a surprise.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    It was?

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    It was?
    First year coach instilling a new offense. Aging SG, A bit of chaos at PG. 3rd best record in the weak east the year before, 9th best in the league. Next year we had the best record in the league. And had it not been O'neal getting hurt we would have probably won the championship.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    It was?
    Of course not. Best record in the East till the Artest meltdown. Coach fired because 3rd in the East and a first round loss was considered unacceptable given the team's record, and Carlisle had already won CotY with his insta-fix of Detroit 2 years prior.

Losing Miller hurt, but they were still supposed to be better than the year before. That's what firing Isiah said to the world.

This year's team looks to be facing the same issues as last year. Nice team, going to be fun to root for, but I couldn't put real money (even) down on them making the Finals or even the ECF. To me they have to be 5 or 6-1 to make the ECF alone.

I will be very pleased with a repeat of last season or something along those lines. I'm hoping for a push into the ECF, but that's on the shoulders of Roy, Danny, West, Paul and George who each need to improve for various reasons. Roy, Paul and George are supposed to be developing, Danny is supposed to be getting his game back on track after JOB and the terrible shooting to start last year, and West is supposed to be showing improvements with more time past his surgery. Otherwise this roster did not get more talented in a noticeable way, even if the bench pieces seem more interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I love replacing DC for DJ (love that kid), Green for Jones (young and athletic), and Sam Young for Barbosa (Young was my "trade down and get him" draft choice back then). Maybe Mahimi is the difference maker over Lou.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Of course not. Best record in the East till the Artest meltdown. Coach fired because 3rd in the East and a first round loss was considered unacceptable given the team's record, and Carlisle had already won CotY with his insta-fix of Detroit 2 years prior.

Losing Miller hurt, but they were still supposed to be better than the year before. That's what firing Isiah said to the world.

This year's team looks to be facing the same issues as last year. Nice team, going to be fun to root for, but I couldn't put real money (even) down on them making the Finals or even the ECF. To me they have to be 5 or 6-1 to make the ECF alone.

I will be very pleased with a repeat of last season or something along those lines. I'm hoping for a push into the ECF, but that's on the shoulders of Roy, Danny, West, Paul and George who each need to improve for various reasons. Roy, Paul and George are supposed to be developing, Danny is supposed to be getting his game back on track after JOB and the terrible shooting to start last year, and West is supposed to be showing improvements with more time past his surgery. Otherwise this roster did not get more talented in a noticeable way, even if the bench pieces seem more interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I love replacing DC for DJ (love that kid), Green for Jones (young and athletic), and Sam Young for Barbosa (Young was my "trade down and get him" draft choice back then). Maybe Mahimi is the difference maker over Lou.
    Big Deal, that still would have left them at what 6th best in the league. with most of the wins in the incredibly weak east. I don't remember anybody seriously talking about us being in contention until the season had already started that year.

This team is far better poised to make a leap like that. Superteams have made teams more susceptible to individual injuries. Which could benefit us if one of those names is Durant or James. 4 Starters with legit potential to improve. And the East got weaker from last year, which should help us get a better record which gives us a better chance to have a better record if we do luck into the finals.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Big Deal, that still would have left them at what 6th best in the league. with most of the wins in the incredibly weak east. I don't remember anybody seriously talking about us being in contention until the season had already started that year.
    For the fail.

Pre all-star records:
    Dallas 38-10
    Indy 34-15
    NJ 34-15
    Det 32-15
    SA 33-16
    Sac 34-17

They had fallen to 34-15 with a 3pt loss to the Lakers in which they played without Ron Artest and Kobe still went 11-31. After this they went on to win their next 3 games coming out of the AS game for a games above .500 high of 37-15.

NBA records as of that date (Feb 14th games completed)
    Dallas 39-12
    Indy 37-15
    SA 35-16
    Sac 36-17
    NJ 35-17
    Det 34-16

So with only 30 games left the Pacers had the 2nd best record in the NBA. They had swept the TWolves who ended up with the 4th best record in the NBA and were 29-20 before the AS break. They had split with Dallas, the #1 team in the NBA. They had lost 1 time to both SAS and LAL.

They then went 1-11 in their next 12. Artest had returned from suspension for the first 3 games after the AS break which the team won, but in which Ron shot 3-9, 4-16 and 5-17. He was in the midst of his distracted play, full of horrible shooting and technical fouls. Pre-AS he had shot 45% and 37.8% from 3, Post-AS he went 39.7% and 29% from 3. During this time his FGA/game went from 12.0 to 12.6, minor but a factor of some of his high volume shooting games.

During early 2003 he had the 3 game suspension for the MSG camera smash (Jan 4) and then 4 games for his altercation with Pat Riley (Jan 30). Then he smashed his own photo on a Conseco wall leading to a team suspension of 1 game (Feb 26). He then lost games due to Flagrant Foul points on Mar 9 (1 gm), Mar 13 (1 gm) and Mar 20 (2 gm). The Flagrant that cost him 2 games was just a few seconds into the start of a game vs Boston. The dude had gone completely nuts since JAN and clearly impacted what was obviously otherwise a title contending team.

Everyone viewed the team this way and many felt that some of the issues fell on Isiah's "player friendly" approach.

Nope. Excellent coach coming in to one of the most talented rosters in the NBA. not surprised at all. (I mean maybe 61 wins was a little higher than most predicted, but I would guess 58 was the consensus
    . Here is what some experts from SI thought.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...cks/index.html
    Finally, what teams will be in the NBA's Final Four?

Aldridge: East: Detroit and Miami. West: San Antonio and Minnesota.
    Ballard: East: Miami and Indiana. West: San Antonio and Minnesota.
    Burns: East: Detroit and Indiana. West: San Antonio and Minnesota.
    Forrester: East: Detroit and Indiana. West: San Antonio and Houston.
    Hollinger: East: Indiana over Detroit, because Jamaal Tinsley won't get hurt this time. West: San Antonio over Dallas -- Barry gives the Spurs a new alternative when Tony Parker starts playing crazy.
    McCallum: I hate to be obvious and unoriginal, but I like Detroit and Indiana in the East and San Antonio and Minnesota in the West.
    Thomsen: East: Detroit and Miami. West: San Antonio and Minnesota.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

Not sure if the Pacers will win "next season" but for this season, I don't see the Pacers in the elite with Heat, Thunder, Lakers. Those three are the class of the NBA - I'd be shocked if the champion isn't one of those three. Pacers would do well to be in the second level teams.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 09-24-2012 at 09:42 AM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Nope. Excellent coach coming in to one of the most talented rosters in the NBA. not surprised at all. (I mean maybe 61 wins was a little higher than most predicted, but I would guess 58 was the consensus

Hollinger: East: Indiana over Detroit, because Jamaal Tinsley won't get hurt this time. West: San Antonio over Dallas -- Barry gives the Spurs a new alternative when Tony Parker starts playing crazy.
    McCallum: I hate to be obvious and unoriginal, but I like Detroit and Indiana in the East and San Antonio and Minnesota in the West.

Minnesota was an obvious pick going into 04-05, but they ended up not even making the playoffs that year. In 03-04, the additions of Spreewell and Cassell propelled them into the top seed in the West and they went all the way to the WCF's. KG was the MVP. But they came back the next year and couldn't even make the playoffs. Their rapid demise was without question the biggest surprise of the 04-05 season.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not sure if the Pacers will win "next season" but for this season, I don't see the Pacers in the elite with Heat, Thunder, Lakers. Those three are the class of the NBA - I'd be shocked if the champion isn't one of those three. Pacers would do well to be in the second level teams.
    Man there was references to Bender, Jim O'Brien, and Mike Dunleavy, and even a Ron Artest for Peja trade. Pretty funny to read looking back on it.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

UB that article you linked was from after the 61 win season.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I don't see the Pacers in the elite with Heat, Thunder, Lakers. Those three are the class of the NBA - I'd be shocked if the champion isn't one of those three. Pacers would do well to be in the second level teams.
    That's where I place the Ps as well. It's just that this tier of teams are still contenders. They are not the favourites but they are in the mix.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    That's where I place the Ps as well. It's just that this tier of teams are still contenders. They are not the favourites but they are in the mix.
    How often does a team win a title from the second tier? I suppose when the Mavs won it. Other than that it doesn't happen hardly ever in the NBA. There are almost always 3 or 4 elite teams and one of those teams wins the title.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

How often does a team win a title from the second tier? I suppose when the Mavs won it. Other than that it doesn't happen hardly ever in the NBA. There are almost always 3 or 4 elite teams and one of those teams wins the title.
    Apart from the Mavs the Heat in 2006 was such an example. The Magic in 2009 was a similar case as well even though they just reached the Finals.

I'm not saying that the Pacers are going to win the championship this season. But being in that second tier is an important step. You have to be in the second tier and take the next step in order to be a first tier contender. You don't leapfrog from bottom to the top. It takes time. And we're on the right track.

That's all I'm saying.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

The article you posted is for the 2004-2005 season -- the season after our 61-win team. After coming off 61 wins and a Conference Finals appearance, many "experts" had us back in the final four; not exactly surprising.

From my recollection, the 03-04 61-win season was a surprise. We were a decent 48-win team the season before, sure, but we were also a first-round exit. Just as importantly, we lost Brad Miller -- who was coming off of an All-Star appearance -- in the offseason.

I can find only one 2003-2004 season preview article from a major source via Google search: SI's 2003-04 NBA Preview - Thursday October 23, 2003

I'm not sure who wrote the article, but they have us as third in the East (behind New Jersey and Detroit), and 10th overall. Solid, sure, but the exact same seeding as the previous season, and not exactly a member of the NBA elite.

Sports Logo

Lots of shoulda's and lots of theory, my friend.

However, there is a lot of reason for optimism. I don't expect us to win the Championship this year but we will go further than last year.

That's the plan, at least

Conference Finals
    Finals
    Championship

One step at the time, my friend. After next year

39. The Following User Says Thank You to MvPlumlee For This Useful Post: