Thread: Indystar: Pacers: Hibbert, MMA and a sports reporter. Which one doesn’t belong?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Indystar: Pacers: Hibbert, MMA and a sports reporter. Which one doesn’t belong?

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...doesnt-belong/

Pacers: Hibbert, MMA and a sports reporter. Which one doesn’t belong?
    by Mike Wells

Roy Hibbert’s body transformation since being drafted in 2008 has been incredible. I recall watching an unorthodox, unimpressive Hibbert working out on the main court of Bankers Life Fieldhouse prior to the draft that year.

Hibbert’s body – and his game – has improved each season because of his offseason workout dedication and desire to eat healthy.

The big fella took it to another level this offseason when he started doing MMA training at Integrated Fighting Academy on the Southside of Indy to help his conditioning.

Hibbert and I have had countless conversations over the years about his workouts. But rather than talk about what goes into his MMA training, Hibbert invited me to participate in a session so I could get a first-hand experience of the sweat and pain he goes through.

Pacers rookie Orlando Johnson and Hibbert’s nutritionist Mike Roussell also took part in the workout on Wednesday.

We started with four, three-minute rounds of sparring with a trainer with only a minute break in between each round.

I was good for the first two rounds, but that’s when reality set in for me.

I was so tired by the third round that I was throwing three-six combinations instead of the one-two combinations my trainer Sam was calling for.

I thought Sam would throw me a bone since I’m at the peewee level conditioning wise compared to Hibbert and Johnson.

That wishful thinking by me.

Sam popped me in my head or my ribs every time I stopped protecting my body with the gloves.

My head was spinning and stomach was churning ready to send the Chipotle chicken bowl I ate for lunch flying out my mouth by the time we were finished sparring. I’m glad I laid off the chips and guacamole.

Once again I was naďve to think we were finished for the day.

That was the just the warm up.

Next up were four crossfit stations – a jump box, weighted ropes, jumping jacks while wearing a weighted vest and holding two dumb bells, then a full mount on top of punching bag mixing in a combination of punches and elbows.

We did three sets of each – a minute, 45 seconds and 30 seconds.

Again, the chicken was begging to come out my stomach. I fought the urge to head to the nearest trash can because if you know the relationship Hibbert and I have, you know I would never hear the end of it from him.

To wrap up the hour-long session, which felt about four hours when it was all said and done, we did a drill they referred to as “Mayweather’s.” We stood with our hands above heads and trainers pounded our stomachs with pads for a minute.

I’ll be the first to admit I don’t have a six-pack stomach, so to say those free hits to the gut didn’t feel well would be an understatement. In fact, I jumped back a couple of times to avoid being hit. Doing that caused lots of laughs out of everybody and more hits to the head from Sam.

“No matter how many times you go to the gym or no matter how many miles you run a week, there’s no type of training like this,” Sam said.

He was right about that.

The experience was tiring, painful and has made my body feel like its aged several years, but I’m glad I made it from start to finish.

More importantly, though, it gave me a better understanding of the work Hibbert has put in to transform his body over the years. The same goes for the MMA fighters.

Hibbert and Johnson lifted weights and scrimmaged over at the fieldhouse prior to doing their MMA workouts on Wednesday.
    Love the work ethic!
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Indystar: Pacers: Hibbert, MMA and a sports reporter. Which one doesn’t belong?

I love seeing that Orlando is working out with Hibbert.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Indystar: Pacers: Hibbert, MMA and a sports reporter. Which one doesn’t belong?

Oh Mike, you're killing me. And the workout won't even be the worst part, 2 days after the workout when you can't even bare the ab pain to sit on the toilet or can't raise your hand to wipe the soap out of your eyes in the shower, that's when you'll really be hating life. Incapable of essential functions.

I'm not surprised by Roy's work ethic in the least. That was always his strength as a prospect, being smart and dedicated. He's leveraging those to improve or overcome his weaknesses.

But let's keep expectations real, there is a cap on improvement. This won't make him Patrick Ewing. But it will keep his career plateaued at it's peak point for longer if he keeps it up.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Good to see the work ethic from Hibbert is still going strong. Gonna be important in order for him to take that next step.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But let's keep expectations real, there is a cap on improvement. This won't make him Patrick Ewing. But it will keep his career plateaued at it's peak point for longer if he keeps it up.
    Oh, let's hope not. Patrick Ewing never won a championship.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Oh, let's hope not. Patrick Ewing never won a championship.
    Neither did Miller, but we idolize him. Let's not confuse a player with a team. I doubt MJ could win a championship playing for the Bobcats.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This won't make him Patrick Ewing.
    I don't think he will ever be the offensive player that Ewing was. Ewing was fluid in his shooting motion. Something you are born with frankly.

But I think Hibbert can be as good defensively, or at least close. Ewing was not on the same level as The Dream, or Mutumbo, or even David Robinson. I think he was a great defensive center in an era of greater post players.

Hibbert can be a great defensive player in an era of weak post players.

Well maybe its just me, but I didn't feel like we had a problem with scoring the ball last year. We need to score our points a bit differently to draw more fouls, but otherwise I think we are good on the offensive end. We need to improve our defense. We can't let guys like Wade, Lebron and Rondo get in a position to get a bail out call. Which means better defense

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Well maybe its just me, but I didn't feel like we had a problem with scoring the ball last year. We need to score our points a bit differently to draw more fouls, but otherwise I think we are good on the offensive end. We need to improve our defense. We can't let guys like Wade, Lebron and Rondo get in a position to get a bail out call. Which means better defense
    It wasn't bad but it was not elite either.

PTS/G: 97.7 (13th of 30) ▪ Opp PTS/G: 94.4 (10th of 30)
    SRS: 2.59 (9th of 30) ▪ Pace: 90.7 (19th of 30)
    Off Rtg: 106.7 (7th of 30) ▪ Def Rtg: 103.1 (9th of 30)
    Expected W-L: 41-25 (7th of 30)

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    It wasn't bad but it was not elite either.

PTS/G: 97.7 (13th of 30) ▪ Opp PTS/G: 94.4 (10th of 30)
    SRS: 2.59 (9th of 30) ▪ Pace: 90.7 (19th of 30)
    Off Rtg: 106.7 (7th of 30) ▪ Def Rtg: 103.1 (9th of 30)
    Expected W-L: 41-25 (7th of 30)
    I think with the type of players we have, we can't strive to be an elite offensive team. Most elite offensive teams have an ELITE offensive player (whether as a scorer or as a playmaker/set up man) or a special system that's designed to speed up tempo and get up as many shots as possible--esp 3's (D'Antoni or JOB) we have NONE of those things.

I do think we could be an elite defensive team, with Roy as our anchor. With Hill, PG, and Danny we have 3 above average defenders (when engaged--Danny) covering perimeter players. All 3 are pretty big and long for their positions, so we'll almost always have the size advantage. If we can cut down on the fouling, we have a chance at being an elite defensive team, while being a pretty good, top 10 offensive team to boot.

Now, just imagine how good it would be if it was more fluid with better ball and player movement? You are right we scored a decent amount, but it was typically ugly and inefficient. Add a dose of efficiency in there, and our offense will be one of the best in the league.

Defensively we actually compare favorable with the best defenses in the league. Not the best, but top 10. The one area we do need to do better with is defending the 3point shot. Letting the other team average .351 isn't going to cut it, but even with that our AFG% was still ranked 7th. With Hill starting the full season, and having a back-up big man who isn't undersized should prove to be huge benefit to our defense.

Wade and LeBron are going to get those bail out calls basically no matter what. A more efficient offense, though, will make it easier to counter the bail out calls.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The problem with the offense is that it goes cold for long periods, meaning that the defense either has to be exceptional during that stretch - which is possible but no means a lock - or something has to happen that ignites the offense again. With the current offensive scheme, that something has to be an individual player getting hot - the scheme does not provide for ways of changing up the attack to get easy shots once the opponents have figured us out OR we've gotten tired and can't quite execute.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

After it seemed like God unfairly frowned on us with knucklehead players and a strange coach, He now seems to have disproportionately smiled on us with Vogel and Hibbert.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

We were ranked 13th in offense last year as a whole, but I thought I read somewhere that we were top 10 with Hill at PG. I don't think we have the talent to be an elite team on either end of the court. But we can be a top 10 on both ends of the court I feel.

Mood

Oh Mike, you're killing me. And the workout won't even be the worst part, 2 days after the workout when you can't even bare the ab pain to sit on the toilet or can't raise your hand to wipe the soap out of your eyes in the shower, that's when you'll really be hating life. Incapable of essential functions.

I'm not surprised by Roy's work ethic in the least. That was always his strength as a prospect, being smart and dedicated. He's leveraging those to improve or overcome his weaknesses.

I don't think he's peaked yet, I think he'll make the jump from where he is to a perrenial all-star type of guy. He's only a minute or two more per game, and slightly higher usage from being a 16-10.5 guy instead of a 13-9 type of guy. I think he gets there.

Mood

Maybe the NBA of today you have to have elite talent for your team to be an elite offensive juggernaut. But at the turn of the century the Indiana Pacers had no elite players, but we ranked extremely high in offensive stats.

Pacers 99-00
    PTS/G:
    101.3 (4th of 29) ▪ Opp PTS/G: 96.7 (12th of 29)
    SRS: 4.16 (6th of 29) ▪ Pace: 93.1 (15th of 29)
    Off Rtg: 108.5 (1st of 29) ▪ Def Rtg: 103.6 (13th of 29)
    Expected W-L: 54-28 (6th of 29)

Mood

You don't need an elite offensive player to have one of the top offenses. Denver has a great, dynamic offense, and as good as Lawson is he isn't an elite player, yet. (He can get there though i'm a big fan). Coaching, and chemistry are huge parts to having a great offense. New York has a great offensive player, and another one that is usually a great offensive player, and they suck, the Clippers have two offensive stars, their offense was worse than ours. It is hit or miss.

I like our general style of offense though, and we get to the line alot, now Vogel needs to add ripples to it, and have alot more set stuff when the usual stuff isn't working, and get Roy some easy shots.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

J7F

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Maybe the NBA of today you have to have elite talent for your team to be an elite offensive juggernaut. But at the turn of the century the Indiana Pacers had no elite players, but we ranked extremely high in offensive stats.

Pacers 99-00
    PTS/G:
    Your "turn of the century" comment threw me for a loop.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

24. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Denver also has one of the worst defenses though. Some of that is playstyle, but also personnel. They have alot of depth that can score pretty well.

Not saying we couldn't be a top tier offensive team, I just doubt it. Hill is a solid guy from Point, but I don't see him leading an elite offense. And frankly we would probably be better off exerting more energy on the defensive end.

Mood

I agree we have a better chance of being a top 5 Def Rated team.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pacers 99-00
    PTS/G:
    That team had excellent spacing and several good shooters. They also had great ball movement, a great passer and playmaker in Jackson, and was one of the top teams in three point shooting and free throw percentage.

The Pacers biggest weakness last year was passing and lack of ball movement or players not know how and when to take advantage of mismatches in transition or in the half court offense. I think being more familiar with one another and having an entire summer and training camp to focus on the offensive and defensive sets is going to do wonders for this team.

Back on topic, Hibbert is so amazing. I love that he's still doing the MMA training. He hasn't reached his physical peak yet. Most players don't until they are around 29. He's still at the age where he can continue to shape his body and build muscle. It wil definitely help him bang with guys and battle for position better.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

We were ranked 13th in offense last year as a whole, but I thought I read somewhere that we were top 10 with Hill at PG. I don't think we have the talent to be an elite team on either end of the court. But we can be a top 10 on both ends of the court I feel.
    We are top 10 in both ends - 7th in ORtg and 9th in DRtg. That's a more accurate gauge than PPG since it takes pace into account.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    After it seemed like God unfairly frowned on us with knucklehead players and a strange coach, He now seems to have disproportionately smiled on us with Vogel and Hibbert.

Or TPTB take character into account a lot more these days...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden