Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our 2012-2013 Pacers: Blue Collar - Gold Swagger

Default Re: Our 2012-2013 Pacers: Blue Collar - Gold Swagger

benefit for Gold Swagger: It will be associated with a blowout of the Miami Heat in a playoff game. When people first heard Gold Swagger it was about Game 3 and people will associate it with Game 3. Even though it's a little corny and funny, it's good at accomplishing what it needs to. It makes you think of winning and exciting basketball. I have zero problems with it.

Also I think swag and swagger are too different words with similar but different meanings. Swag is the "hip" word that is now completely out of style and swagger is still the same word it has always been before Lil B and Soulja Boy used it in songs.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

When I hear "swagger", I just think some cocky dude walking around like a badass and not actually being that great at what he is pretending to be good at, lol...
    When I hear it, or rather, when I hear "gold swagger," in particular something else happens. I think of game three in the second round of playoffs against the Miami Heat. Excitement. Intensity. Excellence - a game where they didn't back down to Goliath and in fact actually rose up. I'm sure I'm not the only one, and I'd guess that's the intent since that's where that part of the phrase was born.

To your other point about competence leading to confidence - I think the balance between Blue Collar and Gold Swagger is actually saying pretty much that. The order of that wording isn't an accident. Look at campaign through which they've elaborated on the theme. The picture of Paul George: "No swagger without sweat." The one with George Hill: "No swagger without sacrifice." The overall message is clear: do the blue collar work, earn the gold swagger.

It's good marketing (that some people don't like it is even a good thing - it elicits a reaction, which is more than can be said for some of our other PR campaigns) and beyond that, it touches on the work ethic required for success.

Thanks for making me think about it in more detail though, because I like it even better now.

Edit: Just read the previous post (PacersHomer). Exactly!
    Last edited by gummy; 09-21-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Just read previous post
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    When I hear it, or rather, when I hear "gold swagger," in particular something else happens. I think of game three in the second round of playoffs against the Miami Heat. Excitement. Intensity. Excellence - a game where they didn't back down to Goliath and in fact actually rose up. I'm sure I'm not the only one, and I'd guess that's the intent since that's where that part of the phrase was born.
    That's great, but swagger meant arrogance, pompousness, and insolence way before we won that playoff game, lol... Didn't really care for the use of it then either. Swagger isn't generally considered a good connotation, never has. Swagger usually preceeds a "fall". You describe someone with swagger as someone likely to be knocked off their pedestal, and they usually are shortly after by life in general, lol, an ironically and unfortunately fitting description of the Pacers success shortly after the gold out win in Game 3. I'm guessing a lot of people don't know the actual meaning of swagger? They think it means "confident"? Think there could be a better phrase to convey confidence or competence.

I loved that playoff win as much as anyone, and I had already forgotten about the "gold out", although it was pretty neat, but the word "swagger" isn't exactly doin' it for me. The gold-out was cool though.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-21-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Where did your definition come from?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The dictionary.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Dictionarys are often times behind social practices. We use "bad" both for positive and negative connotations, whereas the dictionary identifies it as a negative one. Let's not be too literal.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Swagger
    Verb
    1. To walk or strut with a defiant or insolent air
    2. to boast or brag noisily
    3. to bring, drive, force, etc., by blustering

adj
    informal, rare elegantly fashionable

Synonymous Strut
    verb
    1. to walk with a vain, pompous bearing, as with head erect and chest thrown out, as if expecting to impress observers
    2. informal, to behave or perform in a proud confident manner; show off

The Pacers are using it as the informal(slang) word.
    Last edited by Eleazar; 09-21-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Dictionarys are often times behind social practices. We use "bad" both for positive and negative connotations, whereas the dictionary identifies it as a negative one. Let's not be too literal.
    Nobody uses "bad" anymore, lol... that's so behind the times. "Boss" is the new "bad". I would sooo prefer "Gold Bosses" haha.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-21-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Swagger
    Verb
    1. To walk or strut with a defiant or insolent air
    2. to boast or brag noisily
    3. to bring, drive, force, etc., by blustering

adj
    informal, rare elegantly fashionable

Synonymous Strut
    verb
    1. to walk with a vain, pompous bearing, as with head erect and chest thrown out, as if expecting to impress observers
    2. informal, to behave or perform in a proud confident manner; show off

The Pacers are using it as the informal(slang) word.
    Actually, the informal you're referencing there is the synonym, "strut". Says it right there. Swagger is the first 3 points. Unless you mean the Pacers are "rare elegantly fashionable."

Nobody uses "bad" anymore, lol... that's so behind the times. "Boss" is the new "bad". I would sooo prefer "Gold Bosses" haha.
    Okay? Whether or not the word is still used doesn't have anything to do with the point I made. The point is that dictionary definitions don't always match up with how they're used in the real world. Bad was one example.
    Last edited by Since86; 09-21-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Okay? Whether or not the word is still used doesn't have anything to do with the point I made. The point is that dictionary definitions don't always match up with real world usage of words. Bad was one example, swagger is another.
    You said the dictionary was behind the times, I said "bad" was behind--- nevermind, joke over.

I still don't think swagger was the best choice, just saying they have a marketing team and all they could come up with is a word that in most decades is a negative connotation.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-21-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Actually, the informal you're referencing there is the synonym, "strut". Says it right there. Swagger is the first 3 points. Unless you mean the Pacers are "rare elegantly fashionable."

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just sayin'. You people have zero sense of humor, sheesh. I mean... you...... did..... use the definition of "strut"........

Fine, I'll shut up and proudly wave my Blue Collar, Gold Arrogance flag!
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-21-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Just sayin'. You people have zero sense of humor, sheesh. I mean... you...... did..... use the definition of "strut"........

Fine, I'll shut up and proudly wave my Blue Collar, Gold Arrogance flag!
    No, I did not use the word strut, I didn't use any word. I put the definition of swagger up there and its only synonym. You just assumed I was referring to the informal meaning of strut, instead of swagger as I made no distinction.

With that said you are right that I put strut in there for a reason, because they are synonyms. Now here is the definition of synonym.

1. a word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another in the language
    2. a word or expression accepted as another name for something

Swagger = Strut

Mood

Okay? Whether or not the word is still used doesn't have anything to do with the point I made. The point is that dictionary definitions don't always match up with how they're used in the real world. Bad was one example.
    Exactly. Most of us are aware of the technical definition of swagger, so I think you are guessing wrong there Kid Minneapolis - we're just not getting hung up on it. Language is somewhat flexible. Cultural context matters (I can't believe I'm explaining this to someone else, since I'm autistic and often pedantic ). In this case, the "gold swagger," is preceded by and modified by the "blue collar." If the marketing people were just going with "gold swagger," on its own I would like it nearly as much.

Also, I think there's nothing wrong with a little insolence directed at the reigning World Champs, or that team in Chicago. But seriously, even when we're not particularly arrogant or insolent it seems that the big boys see us that way anyway for daring to play them tough (all the "celebrating" nonsense from last season). We seem to have embraced the role of disciplined, hard-working, in-your-face nemesis. I don't mind that. I think it's perfect for a "no superstar" team.

This conversation is amusing me.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Ha ha... Boss was going out of style when I was turning into a teenager...

Can we all not agree that many trendy words or phrases are cyclical?

To me personally... All phrases are timeless... And are awesome when used unexpectedly...

I dropped the word "grody" the other day and my sister in law nearly **** herself with laughter...
    Last edited by J7F; 09-21-2012 at 06:37 PM.
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    No, I did not use the word strut, I didn't use any word. I put the definition of swagger up there and its only synonym. You just assumed I was referring to the informal meaning of strut, instead of swagger as I made no distinction.

With that said you are right that I put strut in there for a reason, because they are synonyms. Now here is the definition of synonym.

1. a word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another in the language
    2. a word or expression accepted as another name for something

Swagger = Strut
    Nearly the same.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2