Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our 2012-2013 Pacers: Blue Collar - Gold Swagger

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Our 2012-2013 Pacers: Blue Collar - Gold Swagger

Looks like we've got ourselves a new tagline for the upcoming season. It's on the Pacers FB cover photo and the website. The photos are too large to embed here, so...

From website:
    http://i.cdn.turner.com/dr/nba/teams...overAd-250.jpg

From Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

What do you think? I like it, I think it's a nice update to our traditional blue collar identity. I know not everyone loved "Gold Swagger" in the playoffs last season though, and so far the reactions on FB aren't so positive.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Our 2012-2013 Pacers: Blue Collar - Gold Swagger

I kind of love it!
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Blue collar, yes. Anything swagger, no.

Love it. Long live gold swagger. Let's not forget how freaking awesome the Fieldhouse looked with all that gold.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Gill For This Useful Post:

I like it. I wasn't a fan of 'gold swagger' when it launched, but I embraced it anyway in the spirit of the playoffs, and now I accept it as something that's here to stay for the time being. I like combining it with blue collar / blue & gold.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Long live the Gold Swagger!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

What's with all the swagger stuff.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

I like it. It's clever. Like many others, I found "gold swagger" to be a little goofy at first. It took me one playoff game to be all in on that one though.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I like it. I don't understand why people hate the swagger thing so much to be honest.

I dunno.. it's ok... I guess it's better than fear the deer lmao .. It just feels too "forced" to me ... kinda like a country white boy who just moved to a predominately black school in the suburbs of Chicago trying to fit in by using the "hip" vernacular and trying to "style" with urban clothing fashion .. while in the process kinda looking retarded lol
    Last edited by Kemo; 09-19-2012 at 10:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    I dunno.. it's ok... I guess it's better than fear the deer lmao .. It just feels too "forced" to me ... kinda like a country white boy who just moved to a predominately black school in the suburbs of Chicago trying to fit in by using the "hip" vernacular and trying to "style" with urban clothing fashion .. while in the process kinda looking retarded lol
    I think the terms "blue-collar" and "swagger" are both fitting for this team and endearing to two key demographics: the old, Indiana Basketball purists, and the 13-20 somethings who need a reason for the Pacers to be cool again.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Gill For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Gill View Post
    I think the terms "blue-collar" and "swagger" are both fitting for this team and endearing to two key demographics: the old, Indiana Basketball purists, and the 13-20 somethings who need a reason for the Pacers to be cool again.
    Yep. Seems like a marketing win to me!
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

17. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

At least it's fairly unique. It could easily be some cliche like, "One team. One mission."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    I like it. I don't understand why people hate the swagger thing so much to be honest.
    Cause the whole "swag" thing is kinda lame and played out. It's the equivalent of "The Indiana Pacers: Can't Touch This!" or "The Pacers: Bling Bling!" It feeds the notion that Indiana is five years behind the times in everything. Can't we just have a nice, straightforward motto and not try and piggyback on a dying trend popular among middle schoolers?

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

I saw a guy at my gym today (in fort wayne) wearing one of the Gold Swagger shirts. Not to often that I see pacers gear around here(besides my closet and the Pacers hat I wear alot). It will be interesting to see, after last years succes if its any easier to find a pacers game at the area bars. I Know I will make sure the people at my gym know what channel FSNI is on Comcast in Fort wayne. In the past the local sports bars can rarely find the station.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    I saw a guy at my gym today (in fort wayne) wearing one of the Gold Swagger shirts. Not to often that I see pacers gear around here(besides my closet and the Pacers hat I wear alot). It will be interesting to see, after last years succes if its any easier to find a pacers game at the area bars. I Know I will make sure the people at my gym know what channel FSNI is on Comcast in Fort wayne. In the past the local sports bars can rarely find the station.
    Hey, at least you have Pacers on locally up there. When I lived in the Fort (not that long ago) there wasn't even radio coverage let alone TV coverage on cable.

As far as the "Gold Swagger" motto... I don't really care for it, but it doesn't bother me either. I guess I've totally missed the boat on the "swag"/"swagger" scene... So it feels like I just don't get it.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Mood

Blue Collar - Goldschlager

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I didn't care for the "Gold Swagger" because I was one of the folks who thought we really hadn't quite earned it. But when it gets combined with the "Blue Collar" I really like it - it becomes more of a cause and effect thing, like "Do the Blue Collar work, get the Gold Swagger". The side ads that say "No Swagger without Sweat" add to this impression.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Not really a "swagger" fan but I like the slogan I think. Plus, I think it's good marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Hey, at least you have Pacers on locally up there. When I lived in the Fort (not that long ago) there wasn't even radio coverage let alone TV coverage on cable.

As far as the "Gold Swagger" motto... I don't really care for it, but it doesn't bother me either. I guess I've totally missed the boat on the "swag"/"swagger" scene... So it feels like I just don't get it.

Thats why Jordan was my hero as a kid(WGN). 20sum years ago the Pacers were just the obscure team that my Uncle liked. I am a loyal Indiana sports fan and am certain I would have grown up a Pacers fan had they been on TV. I have always watched national Pacers games and the playoffs(8.9 seconds Reggies Prime) but didn't purchased league pass for the First time until 2 seasons before the cable deal. Went to my first game the year before the brawl, second game Prince blocked Reggie when he should have dunked(virtually everyone remembers this game). The point of this is simply that the cable television deal is freaking huge for the growth of the fan-base. Beyond the immediate benefits, There are a lot of Chicago fans around here who may have been Pacers fans if the team would have had a little bit of exposure when people were young. Every Bulls game has always been broadcasted here for as long as I can remember.

Also (to pat myself on the back) I finally lost enough weight to wear the (I caught this shirt) Boomer T-shirt I caught from the upper deck during that first game.

I hate it. Using the words "swagg" or "swagger" is too trendy and just sound juvenile to me
    David "And One" West

Sports Logo Sports Logo

What's so funny is that some are saying the terms Swag and swagger are too trendy or urban and you hav others saying that those terms are outdated. So strange.

I didn't like the slogan when I heard about it before game 3 against the Heat. After seeing them, I regretted not getting tickets to that game instead of game 4.

I really like this current slogan. Putting Blue-Collar before it is very fitting of this team's identity.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    What's so funny is that some are saying the terms Swag and swagger are too trendy or urban and you hav others saying that those terms are outdated. So strange.
    It still is trendy among the Bieber set, but the only adults who use it are moms and pro basketball teams in the midwest trying to sound hip.

It beats the hell out of "we ride together."

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Brinocerous For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Swagger seems to have negative connotation about it. Usually when someone has swagger, they're over-confident or arrogant...

I like Andrew Luck's way of looking at it --- Competence over confidence. That's a brilliant mindset, because it places importance on actually being good at something, rather than thinking you're good at something or projecting an image that makes people think you're better than you really are. One can be confident and still not competent. But if you're competent, that inherently builds confidence in yourself and in those around you that you know what you're doing. Competence breeds confidence.

When I hear "swagger", I just think some cocky dude walking around like a badass and not actually being that great at what he is pretending to be good at, lol...
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.