Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Should Vick Ballard start?

  1. #1

    Default Should Vick Ballard start?

    I have said since pre-season when he had the sick spin move, I think he will end up being our best back. Should the Colts continue to go with Donald Brown and hope he and the offensive line turn it around or give Vick Ballard a shot to prove he can play?

  2. #2
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,533

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Vick Ballard start?

    Maybe as Paul George's backup. It would be interesting, that's for sure, since he's in the NFL .

  3. #3

    Default Re: Should Vick Ballard start?

    lol, whoops my bad guys, posted in wrong section

  4. #4
    Member Coupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    indynap
    Posts
    1,106
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Vick Ballard start?

    LOL i was like ...wut..

  5. #5
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,482

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Vick Ballard start?

    I'll be honest, I'm not sold on our running back corps. Much like in 1999 when we were in year 2 of the Manning rebuild, I sorta hope we land a high pick and get a stud RB like Edge was for us, and then use the rest of the picks and huge incoming cap space and free agency to bolster the line and defense. Brown is better suited as a change-of-pace lightning quick back to spot a stud workhorse back. Ballard... different style, but same qualities.

    I'm really excited for next season lol.. that's not to say I'm not having fun watching this year, but next year is when we'll really start to see something.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-18-2012 at 10:58 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  6. #6
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,381

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Vick Ballard start?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll be honest, I'm not sold on our running back corps. Much like in 1999 when we were in year 2 of the Manning rebuild, I sorta hope we land a high pick and get a stud RB like Edge was for us, and then use the rest of the picks and huge incoming cap space and free agency to bolster the line and defense. Brown is better suited as a change-of-pace lightning quick back to spot a stud workhorse back. Ballard... different style, but same qualities.

    I'm really excited for next season lol.. that's not to say I'm not having fun watching this year, but next year is when we'll really start to see something.
    See if it were me, I wouldn't take a running back in the first round. At all. Too many stud running backs have come from the later rounds or undrafted for me to want to draft one in the first round. Cornerstone offensive line talent, shutdown cornerback, or really any high level defensive player would be better uses for our first round pick, imo.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  8. #7
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,482

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Vick Ballard start?

    Could say the same thing for any position in football. Jeff Saturday was our starting center for over a decade, dude wasn't even drafted. There are outlying examples like that all over the place but that isn't the norm. Drafting a Tom Brady in the 6th round doesn't happen often. In fact, it happened once.

    I generally believe the chances of finding a starter is higher in the first round.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-18-2012 at 11:13 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  9. #8
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,381

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Vick Ballard start?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could say the same thing for any position in football.
    Not really though. Sure, every position has had it's late round gems, but not like running backs. Plus, with the way the game has evolved--the position just isn't as important. Workhouse running backs are increasingly rare in the league. Don't get me wrong--a solid running game would really help Luck and the team out, but I think beefing up the offensive line with a blue chipper would do wonders for both Luck and our running backs.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  11. #9
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,324

    Default Re: Should Vick Ballard start?

    No. Donald Brown is constantly hit in the backfield. Why does anyone think Ballard would do better?
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:


  13. #10
    THE WITCH IS DEAD!!! Coopdog23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Da Bank
    Posts
    2,916

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Vick Ballard start?

    Ballard is a better backup. He's a Dominic Rhodes kind of RB
    Smothered Chicken!

  14. #11
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,267

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Vick Ballard start?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not really though. Sure, every position has had it's late round gems, but not like running backs. Plus, with the way the game has evolved--the position just isn't as important. Workhouse running backs are increasingly rare in the league. Don't get me wrong--a solid running game would really help Luck and the team out, but I think beefing up the offensive line with a blue chipper would do wonders for both Luck and our running backs.
    To take your point a bit further, outside of the "special guys" most RB's are a dime a dozen. In fact, I would think that most of the starting RB's in the league were not first round draft picks. If you put most RB's behind a very strong offensive line and/or a system that capitalizes on their ability, then they will be successful. Our biggest need is O-Lineman hands down. If you put any of our RB's behind that line, then I think they can be successful at generating a ground game that is at least respectable.

    For us to ultimately be successful we don't have to be the number one rushing team in the league; just a team that can run when it needs/wants to. That's more on the O-Line and not the RB.

  15. #12

    Default Re: Should Vick Ballard start?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No. Donald Brown is constantly hit in the backfield. Why does anyone think Ballard would do better?
    Can he catch the ball on a 3rd and 5 because apparently Brown has lost that ability. I think its a toss up but Brown has been brutal in critical moments of the game.

  16. #13

    Default Re: Should Vick Ballard start?

    Whatever the problem is, it needs to be fixed. Our running game has been so bad for so long that I almost don't even want us to run it.

    For instance, if we had a 1st and 1 in 4 down territory, if we threw it all 4 downs I wouldn't be upset. Because I have just come to expect nothing from our running game.

  17. #14

    Default Re: Should Vick Ballard start?

    With the devaluation of the running back position, it might be wise -- if the right player is available -- to take a running back early. As the thought process continues to trend more to the 'dime a dozen' running back, a standout talent is more likely to be left on the board.

    That said, I'd prefer an offensive lineman or defensive standout with the first-rounder. Barring a serious injury, those players will have far more shelf life ... and the Colts would get much more value out of their first-round pick, especially if the lineman can protect the franchise QB, too.

  18. #15

    Default Re: Should Vick Ballard start?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraft View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With the devaluation of the running back position, it might be wise -- if the right player is available -- to take a running back early. As the thought process continues to trend more to the 'dime a dozen' running back, a standout talent is more likely to be left on the board.

    That said, I'd prefer an offensive lineman or defensive standout with the first-rounder. Barring a serious injury, those players will have far more shelf life ... and the Colts would get much more value out of their first-round pick, especially if the lineman can protect the franchise QB, too.
    Really I haven't given this much thought but if the Colts want a power game then they should draft and use the 2013 FA class to upgrade what they have at RT and guard.

    Then sign Peyton Hillis in the offseason and call it good.

  19. #16
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,462

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Vick Ballard start?

    Brown has shown on more than one occasion that he can make the big play. Ballard is your typical C level RB. He lacks Brown's burst
    David "And One" West

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:


  21. #17

    Default Re: Should Vick Ballard start?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brown has shown on more than one occasion that he can make the big play. Ballard is your typical C level RB. He lacks Brown's burst
    Big plays are great and all, but you still got get a yard or two on demand. If drives die because we can't get one yard when we need it, we lose the change to grab those big plays

  22. #18
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,462

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Vick Ballard start?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Big plays are great and all, but you still got get a yard or two on demand. If drives die because we can't get one yard when we need it, we lose the change to grab those big plays
    DB is good in short yardage situations. He is a proven finisher around the goal line. Whenever he doesn't get any yardage, he has nowhere to run and is hit immediately
    David "And One" West

  23. #19

    Default Re: Should Vick Ballard start?

    I like Brown, but his play is too sporadic to be the starter IMO. He is explosive in open space. I would like to see more screens and short passes to Brown, and hopefully he holds on unlike the Bears game.

Similar Threads

  1. Vick to start against the Colts
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-29-2010, 12:44 AM
  2. STAR: Indpls. Mayor Ballard Heading CIB Overhaul
    By duke dynamite in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-24-2009, 11:55 PM
  3. OT: Marbury on Vick
    By ABADays in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-22-2007, 09:48 PM
  4. And with Vick's new deal...
    By Natston in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-28-2004, 05:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •