Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jalen Rose (Basically) Admits to Trying Hurt Kobe in 2000 NBA Finals

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: Jalen Rose (Basically) Admits to Trying Hurt Kobe in 2000 NBA Finals

The last time Rose drove the lane and it hurt...he was untouched and he tore his acl!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jalen Rose (Basically) Admits to Trying Hurt Kobe in 2000 NBA Finals

Quote Originally Posted by ColeTheMole View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A lot of people are advocates of "making players think twice" before driving the lane...specifically Rose in the 2011 playoff series. Now why would Rose think twice? Because last time he drove the lane it hurt.

Many people are okay with turning fouls intentionally harder to bump around the opponents (consequently hurting them; albeit nothing that serious) but Jalen doing this is too malicious? I believe the difference is negligible.

A hard foul that includes making a play on the ball is totally different than being a cheap shot artist. There's no place in basketball for "defenders" who intentionally step under a jump-shooter with the intention of hurting them. It's weak and cowardly, and I have no respect for players who intentionally do it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Gill View Post
    Jalen has always been one of my favorite Pacers (I even strongly lobbied my parents to name my little brother Jalen to no avail) and this doesn't change that. Let me pose this question: if Kobe didn't go off in game 4 of that series and we wind up winning a championship, would Rose admitting this 12 years later make taint that championship? I'd still take the ring and I would like to think most on here would as well. In a perfect world, sportsmanship would always reign supreme, but in this world there is a thing called gamesmanship that is often far more effective - just ask Reginald Miller.
    It'd taint the championship just a little in my mind yes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

I don't know what my thoughts are on this. Watching the play in question. Jalen makes it look very natural and not on purpose.

Is it suppose to be a foul if you don't allow the shooter to come down? (assuming he comes straight down?)

Still not sure. I am certainly not outraged. But is it "right" not sure.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I don't know what my thoughts are on this. Watching the play in question. Jalen makes it look very natural and not on purpose.

Is it suppose to be a foul if you don't allow the shooter to come down? (assuming he comes straight down?)

Still not sure. I am certainly not outraged. But is it "right" not sure.

Maybe I'm still irritated at the NFL's inconsistent application of so-called safety rules, which are only being applied to protect offensive players, but we're really sissy-fying sports right now.

I believe Jalen intended to close out on him at basketball speed. And he did. And when you do so, and when the other guy is also moving at basketball speed, then bumps, collisions and injuries happen and that doesn't require an apology or to be labeled as a cheap shot.

Frankly, I think Jalen is just trying to get some attention. Misguided.

Watching the play, I don't see how you could say anything about intent other than Jalen intended to defend the shot and not just give it to him. There wasn't a leg-whip, there wasn't a pronounced movement of the leg. The only way, at full speed, for Jalen's foot not to get in there was for Jalen to pull up short, at less than full speed, and not contest the shot.

I happen to think that's what me means - that he intended to contest the shot and when you do so you may get too close, your feet may get tangled, somebody might turn an ankle.

I don't buy the idea that, with both players at full speed, Jalen was thinking "the only way I can trip him and get away with it is to make it look like I'm challenging the shot."

We've had other guys (Bowen) who weren't really defending the shot but sticking their legs in there to cause harm. That's dirty. We've had other guys (Reggie) add an unnatural kick to their jumper to keep the defender from getting too close. I wouldn't call it dirty, but I would call that an offensive foul. And that seems more of an intentional play to me than the situation Jalen is describing. I know what Jalen said, but I don't think it makes any sense in the context of the play so I'm dismissing it as an effort to keep his name in circulation.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I mean, I understand in that sense, but I don't understand having a sense of appreciation about it given that it was a dirty act.
    I think the entire point of Jalen mentioning it was to say that you shouldn't break the cardinal rule of basketball without getting paid back. He equates the 81 points that Kobe dropped on him to that act. I got the feeling that he regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    There's a difference between breaking rules in the game and breaking the rule of life. Ever hear of Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan? There's never been an excuse for attempting to hurt someone to win a game.
    Understood. I just think there's a difference between sticking your foot underneath a guy and hitting someone in the knee with a billy club.

streets ahead

More from Jalen: That time Vince Carter Body Slammed Sam Mitchell

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Can't believe that VC/Sam Mitchell story got out before, at least as far as I know. Spreewell had a history and his incident with Carlesimo was worse (he went after him twice and threatened to get a gun), but it's still attacking a coach. Wonder if some of Carter's missed games to injury were more of the "injury" variety and he got suspended and it was kept in house.

Also, man, for as young as they are the Raptors have had some really great players. And done jack with them.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Jalen sure has no problem telling these kind of things to the public.

Banned
    Mood

Too bad he didn't knock Kobe out longer and significantly increase our chances at landing a ring that season.

Only Jalen would say that. He loves criticism. He doesn't care what people think
    "We want Miami"

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Hurt does not equal injure.

The step under move leads clearly to high INJURY risk. Giving a guy a hard hit typically is meant to make the foul hurt but without injuring the player. If the player is tough and doesn't care about a little pain he can continue to come into the lane hard, whereas if you intentionally injure a player he has no choice in the matter regardless of how tough he is.

And sadly there might be something to be said for giving the Pacers a chance, at least when you look at the game 5 outcome where Kobe beat the Pacers in OT all by himself. I like seeing them win, but not like that.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Only Jalen would say that. He loves attention. He doesn't care what people think
    Fixed that for ya.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    Yeah, not a fan of that.

LeBron did it to Granger this year in the playoffs.

lmao no he didn't. Why would he even want to? Granger was hardly even a threat

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    Fixed that for ya.
    Thanks?
    "We want Miami"