Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jalen Rose (Basically) Admits to Trying Hurt Kobe in 2000 NBA Finals

Default Jalen Rose (Basically) Admits to Trying Hurt Kobe in 2000 NBA Finals

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...6024--nba.html

Just the link, I'm on an iPhone. Actually a bit funny and sad (from the pacer point of view).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Jalen Rose (Basically) Admits to Trying Hurt Kobe in 2000 NBA Finals

Wow, that's unfortunate. And disappointing.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Jalen Rose (Basically) Admits to Trying Hurt Kobe in 2000 NBA Finals

Yeah, not a fan of that.

LeBron did it to Granger this year in the playoffs.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:

Like the article said, if its an accident. No problem **** happens. But to do it on purpose, damn. Rose was always one of my favorite Pacers, but guess I gotta think a little differently of him now.

For the record, I don't think of the act as funny, just that Rose unintentionally contributed to Kobe's legend by setting him up for a comeback in game 4.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For the record, I don't think of the act as funny, just that Rose unintentionally contributed to Kobe's legend by setting him up for a comeback in game 4.
    And he was in that 81 point game that Kobe had too

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

And Lebron did it to Danny!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Wow, that's unfortunate. And disappointing.
    Yep.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rose is candid. I appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Rose is candid. I appreciate that.
    In this context?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    In this context?
    Yeah. He admitted to a dirty play that tons and tons of players do. Do I condone it? No. Do I think differently of Rose? No.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

You'd like to think he's beyond that now. His hesitancy to say he did it makes me wonder if it was a spur of the moment "I'll just stick my foot here," thing and not terribly premeditated.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Yeah. He admitted to a dirty play that tons and tons of players do. Do I condone it? No. Do I think differently of Rose? No.
    I don't understand.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I don't understand.
    Admittedly, I skimmed through the article. I understood it as: Kobe went up for a jump shot, Rose stuck his foot out purposely so Kobe would land on it, Kobe did, got hurt, etc.

...if that's correct, I appreciate his candidness in admitting it.

I mean, I understand in that sense, but I don't understand having a sense of appreciation about it given that it was a dirty act.

I mean, I understand in that sense, but I don't understand having a sense of appreciation about it given that it was a dirty act.
    I appreciate his candidness, not the act. The act is bush league. My point was that it is a pretty common dirty play in the league that rarely is admitted. I like that he admitted it, not that he did it.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Member DangerGranger3pointranger's Avatar
    Mood

Yeah, at least he fessed up.
    Everybody ride the Scola train! WHOO WHOO

26. The Following User Says Thank You to DangerGranger3pointranger For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Being an a-hole isn't forgiven just because you admit it. I've never liked Jalen, especially as an "analyst" for ESPN, and I dislike him even more now. There is nothing more reprehensible in sports than intentionally injuring another player.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Jalen has always been one of my favorite Pacers (I even strongly lobbied my parents to name my little brother Jalen to no avail) and this doesn't change that. Let me pose this question: if Kobe didn't go off in game 4 of that series and we wind up winning a championship, would Rose admitting this 12 years later make taint that championship? I'd still take the ring and I would like to think most on here would as well. In a perfect world, sportsmanship would always reign supreme, but in this world there is a thing called gamesmanship that is often far more effective - just ask Reginald Miller.

Next stop June 2015

It's pretty disappointing. That's cheating but on top of that it's disgraceful. I really liked Jalen a lot...but I don't like hearing this.

Next stop June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Gill View Post
    Jalen has always been one of my favorite Pacers (I even strongly lobbied my parents to name my little brother Jalen to no avail) and this doesn't change that. Let me pose this question: if Kobe didn't go off in game 4 of that series and we wind up winning a championship, would Rose admitting this 12 years later make taint that championship? I'd still take the ring and I would like to think most on here would as well. In a perfect world, sportsmanship would always reign supreme, but in this world there is a thing called gamesmanship that is often far more effective - just ask Reginald Miller.
    There's a difference between breaking rules in the game and breaking the rule of life. Ever hear of Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan? There's never been an excuse for attempting to hurt someone to win a game.

Nobody around the league cried foul except a few Pacer fans on this board (note a few and not all) when Lebron took out Danny in Game 5.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm fine with all this. At least he's got a competitive spirit. Too many of these guys are too friendly with their opponents. But there are a lot of guys that don't even think twice about putting their foot in harm's way defensively and that's not a big deal. You don't want to see anybody get hurt but you don't have to make throw a red carpet down for them to get their shot off or to get to the rim, either. Step in, defend, and if they come down on you, so what? You can decide how serious I am. Somewhere between 1% and 100%.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

35. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

A lot of people are advocates of "making players think twice" before driving the lane...specifically Rose in the 2011 playoff series. Now why would Rose think twice? Because last time he drove the lane it hurt.

Many people are okay with turning fouls intentionally harder to bump around the opponents (consequently hurting them; albeit nothing that serious) but Jalen doing this is too malicious? I believe the difference is negligible.
    DG for 3

Intent isn't negligible.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post: