Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Luck so far

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Luck so far

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Olblu has really grown on me. It's hilarious how just one poster can make people actually quit pd. People are way too sensitive. Olblu is our Skip Bayless. Asking mods to ban him is like ESPN firing Skip. Blu is great for ratings!
    I think this holds a lot of truth. He certainly makes it interesting...but he has gone too far at times. It's awesome to have discussion topics and alternative opinions. But those opinions should be A) respectful and B) coherent. A lot of his posts have been neither and it usually results in poor sports discussion that his off topic. Moderating is a tough job in any form. I don't think he should be banned, but I hope a mod tells him to play better with others or that he learns to do this himself.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessen For This Useful Post:

***** christ, after reading some of this thread its a little sad.

And in all honesty I think the best solution would almost to give new users a warning about a certain poster when they first visit this board.

And frankly people, you can't just blame the troll. Trolls belong on your ignore list. Regardless of whether they are for or against your side. Your ignore list should never be where you put people who disagree with you. But it is where you should put trolls.

People who find the trolls entertaining can of course leave him off their ignore list. But as a courtesy to others, refrain from quoting them unless absolutely necessary.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

If you have to give a warning about a certain user don't you think you just answered the question itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    If you have to give a warning about a certain user don't you think you just answered the question itself?
    I do think he needs to be banned, since they have made it clear thats not an option. I was going with a Half Measure. Even though I don't believe in half measures. Its better than no measure.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

So here's a question for the folks in the peanut gallery regarding Luck so far, what has been the single most surprising thing about his game that you did not expect when we drafted him or even after his fairly impressive preseason?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    So here's a question for the folks in the peanut gallery regarding Luck so far, what has been the single most surprising thing about his game that you did not expect when we drafted him or even after his fairly impressive preseason?
    Take in mind I am not actually a colts fan, but I am shocked...Sam Bradford all issues aside was considered a pretty top of the line prospect and he still struggles three years in (though he is consistently improving just needs a real target). Luck is a flat out haus.

Movement in the pocket. It's not just good for a rookie, it's got to be as good as any other QB, or damn close. And then when you take into consideration the entire play book being thrown at him, the rookie backs and receivers, the sometimes shaky oline...wowza

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bunt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bunt View Post
    Movement in the pocket. It's not just good for a rookie, it's got to be as good as any other QB, or damn close. And then when you take into consideration the entire play book being thrown at him, the rookie backs and receivers, the sometimes shaky oline...wowza
    And none of this is to say he's a surefire hall of famer or is in the conversation as the best ever. But he is looking the part already and at this point, that's all we can hope for as Colts fans.

I always like Bill Simmons' article on the NBA trade values and wonder what one would look like for the NFL. I know Barnwell did one before the season started and had Luck as the 4th most valuable player (in terms of trade value). Is he firmly top 2 at this point?

To me trade value in the NFL is so hard to gauge. How many blockbuster deals are there? Very few. I think Luck is in the same, "No we're not trading him" category as Rodgers, the Mannings, Brady, Brees, RGIII (Yeah I'm putting him here, he's worth a lot to the Skins).

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I would concur with movement in the pocket. So aware and so capable of buying those few precious seconds. I would add on to that, when he needs to he is able to get out there and get a first down or TD. Which is something that is very nice to have.

So movement in general I suppose. Gonna to be insane when we put a better line together in front of him and he learns to read defenses better.

Now lets hope for a big second half so he can beat Newtons records and tie Peytons TD record.

To me trade value in the NFL is so hard to gauge. How many blockbuster deals are there? Very few. I think Luck is in the same, "No we're not trading him" category as Rodgers, the Mannings, Brady, Brees, RGIII (Yeah I'm putting him here, he's worth a lot to the Skins).
    Well yeah you're right, the NFL hardly ever sees a Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Carmelo type trades. But I think the idea stills hold true, especially when we're talking one for one trades, and this is purely hypothetical and fantasy. If the Colts called up the Patriots and say they'll trade Luck for Brady straight up, wouldn't the Patriots have to at least think about it. I think they ultimately say no because Brady gives them the best chance to win this year and next for sure. On the other hand, if it was the Patriots calling the Colts, I think the Colts hang up before they finish the offer. Colts are still building their way up and would rather have 15 years of Luck than 5 years of Brady.

What about the Texans? They're primed for a Super Bowl run this year. Would they rock the boat and trade Schaub or even Arian Foster for Luck? I think they would.

The Redskins certainly paid enough for RG3. Basicly, He was already traded once, price tag and all. The Redskins were already the high bidder, which means no one would offer them anything they would consider. Keep in mind, I never said they were disappointed in this specific investment.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by spazzxb; 11-06-2012 at 12:47 AM.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by bunt View Post
    Well yeah you're right, the NFL hardly ever sees a Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Carmelo type trades. But I think the idea stills hold true, especially when we're talking one for one trades, and this is purely hypothetical and fantasy. If the Colts called up the Patriots and say they'll trade Luck for Brady straight up, wouldn't the Patriots have to at least think about it. I think they ultimately say no because Brady gives them the best chance to win this year and next for sure. On the other hand, if it was the Patriots calling the Colts, I think the Colts hang up before they finish the offer. Colts are still building their way up and would rather have 15 years of Luck than 5 years of Brady.

What about the Texans? They're primed for a Super Bowl run this year. Would they rock the boat and trade Schaub or even Arian Foster for Luck? I think they would.

They just signed Schaub to a very expensive long contract. Foster is the best running back in the NFL. They could have signed Peyton but they elected to stay with Schaub. They don't make that trade in my opinion....

Banned
    Mood

I am surprised he is as tough as he is and that he is still upright after the beating he is taking every week. The kid ain't no pansy, that is for sure....

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    They just signed Schaub to a very expensive long contract. Foster is the best running back in the NFL. They could have signed Peyton but they elected to stay with Schaub. They don't make that trade in my opinion....
    They really didn't have the cash to do it. Cap space is too precious in the NFL, (it isn't this flexible line that allows for alot of this stuff to go down that some imagine), I think they would take it hands down because of the automatic injection of youth into their system. Their window is closing. You have to pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    The Redskins certainly paid enough for RG3. Basicly, He was already traded once, price tag and all. The Redskins were already the high bidder, which means no one would offer them anything they would consider. Keep in mind, I never said they were disappointed in this specific investment.

Rams are super pumped about it and hope they finish around 6-10...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How calm and collected he is in clutch situations (even ones when he did not perform as well as he probably would have liked, he still looked calm).

I have also been impressed with how he has stepped up in the pocket and not been rattled by blitzes, though admitedly I have seen this mostly through highlights

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post

Didn't someone (CLE?) offer a higher price, but after the fact? Or did they match? I honestly cant remember.

RG3 is like buying a house for us in the WMA. Everyone feels like you overpaid, and everyone wants a better deal, but when you have had rental for years, and your rentals have cockroaches, roof leaks, broken doors, and burglaries once a week you are willing to overpay to get the potential of living in a great neighborhood. Even if the Jonses buy a equvilent house down the street that is just as nice.

Point being, I agree. I doubt the Redskins would trade RG3.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

If the playoffs started today, we would be playing the Broncos
    "We want Miami"

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    If the playoffs started today, we would be playing the Broncos
    I vote for that. An easy first round draw for the Peyton and company.....

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Didn't someone (CLE?) offer a higher price, but after the fact? Or did they match? I honestly cant remember.

RG3 is like buying a house for us in the WMA. Everyone feels like you overpaid, and everyone wants a better deal, but when you have had rental for years, and your rentals have cockroaches, roof leaks, broken doors, and burglaries once a week you are willing to overpay to get the potential of living in a great neighborhood. Even if the Jonses buy a equvilent house down the street that is just as nice.

Point being, I agree. I doubt the Redskins would trade RG3.
    I am sure they would not trade him. Besides being the best football player in the NFL, he is a marketing dream....... I was just seeing that Peyton Manning has people watching the Denver team at a record pace. That is another thing the Colts lost. They are no longer in the limelight nationally. The game on Thursday night could be a horror show viewership wise....

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    I do think he needs to be banned, since they have made it clear thats not an option. I was going with a Half Measure. Even though I don't believe in half measures. Its better than no measure.
    What would you ban me for? I have not broken any forum rules.... I have views that are different than yours and that is all.... It happens in the real world all of the time. Do you call for everyone you disagree with to be censored? I disagree with you but I don't ask for you to be banned....

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hey Blu, I figured you'd agree with this:

Andrew Luck gives himself C grade

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/85...qb-gives-c-far

INDIANAPOLIS -- Andrew Luck is a fine quarterback and a pretty tough critic.
    Less than 24 hours after leading the Colts to their fifth win while breaking one rookie record and tying another, the No. 1 overall draft pick walked into the Colts' locker room Monday and promptly described himself as average. Really.

SportsNation: Rookie QB Grades

How would you grade the Week 9 performance of Robert Griffin III, Andrew Luck, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden and Russell Wilson?
    Cast your votes!

"A 'C' is average, so I think I'd give myself a `C'," Luck said when asked for a grade.
    Had Luck used a similar standard in the classroom, he might not have an architectural design degree from Stanford yet.
    But there's nothing average about Luck's fast start.
    After spending the previous two seasons being billed as the NFL's next big thing, the two-time Heisman Trophy runner-up has exceeded the hype over his first eight pro games.
    He's already won three more games than Indy did last season with three veteran quarterbacks. On Sunday, against a good Miami defense, Luck broke Cam Newton's single-game record for yards passing (432) by throwing for 433 in a 23-20 victory. He also tied the rookie record set by his predecessor, Peyton Manning, for most 300-yard games in a season (four) and continues to maintain the pace for a historic season.
    Through eight games, he is 190 of 336 for 2,404 yards with 10 touchdowns and eight interceptions. At this rate, he would shatter Sam Bradford's rookie marks for completions (354) and attempts (590) and Newton's record for yardage (4,051). With a slightly stronger second half, he may even challenge Manning's rookie record for TD passes (26) and he's still a long way from approaching Manning's first-year record for interceptions (28).
    He's already beaten two of the other five rookie starters (Brandon Weeden and Ryan Tannehill) and has surprisingly pushed the Colts into the playoff discussion.
    Numbers alone can't tell the tale. Despite being under heavy pressure, Luck has managed to elude defenders and even shake off Green Bay's Clay Matthews to make a key pass in a game-winning drive, and he's rallied the Colts to three fourth-quarter wins.
    To teammates, Luck has been everything they expected -- and more.
    "That guy is mature far beyond his years," defensive end Fili Moala said. "You can't say enough good things about him, from him as a human being to him as a football player to him as a teammate. He's the kind of guy you really want your kids to grow up and become. He's a professional, he does it with class and he'll be a good one for years to come."

AFC South blog

ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky writes about all things AFC South in his division blog.Blog network: NFL Nation

The toughest part of this season was supposed to be the endless comparisons to Manning. So far, Luck has had little trouble measuring up.
    Manning has exactly the same amount of wins and yardage as Luck this season, though Denver's quarterback has thrown for twice as many touchdowns and leads the NFL with a quarterback rating of 108.6.
    But Luck has had a better rookie season than Manning did.
    Luck has thrown and completed more passes in his first eight games, has thrown for 531 more yards, completed a higher percentage of passes than Manning (56.5 percent to 55.1), thrown half as many interceptions (16 to eight), just one fewer touchdown (11 to 10) and has a better quarterback rating than Manning did at that time (79.0 to 64.5).
    Of course, the game has changed over the last 14 years. There's now a bigger premium on passing, rookie quarterbacks play earlier and are expected to win earlier than they did then, too.
    While some now contend Luck has more talent around him than Manning did then, they might forget that in '98, Manning had Hall of Fame running back Marshall Faulk, receiver Marvin Harrison, two veteran tight ends and two tackles who became longtime cornerstones in the Colts' offense.
    Luck, in comparison, has relied primarily on the sure hands of Reggie Wayne; Donnie Avery, who is trying to come back from two lost seasons, an offensive line that is finally rounding into form and a large cast of other rookies.
    He's also had to learn more than Manning did then. Interim coach and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, Manning's position coach in '98, has said the Colts' didn't use the no-huddle offense extensively until Manning's second season. Luck is already running that this season.
    "There are probably only a few throws he'd like to have back," said Arians, a 20-year NFL assistant. "He's kept us in games. He's won games. The way he's played in the two-minute phase and now the no-huddle phase has been excellent. He's been dynamite on third down the last two games."
    Now can he keep it up? The second half of this season begins Thursday at Jacksonville (1-7).
    Arians remembers that's when Manning really took off in 1998, and Luck knows there's plenty he can improve upon, too.
    "The victories are what I judge things on. I think I've got to cut down on the turnovers and putting touchdowns on the board," Luck said. "I think perfect would be to win every game, and not have any incompletions or interceptions."
    If that's the grading scale, good luck.
    But Arians has no problem giving Luck an "A."
    "That doesn't surprise me," Arians said with a chuckle when asked about Luck's own grade. "He's comparing him to himself. I'm comparing him to all the other guys I've ever had."
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Jessen View Post
    I think this holds a lot of truth. He certainly makes it interesting...but he has gone too far at times. It's awesome to have discussion topics and alternative opinions. But those opinions should be A) respectful and B) coherent. A lot of his posts have been neither and it usually results in poor sports discussion that his off topic. Moderating is a tough job in any form. I don't think he should be banned, but I hope a mod tells him to play better with others or that he learns to do this himself.
    You can always count on me to be the ***hole who gives you a reality check instead of telling you what you want to hear.....

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...ks-record-game

Detailing Andrew Luck's record game

By Paul Kuharsky | ESPN.com

We’ve discussed Andrew Luck vs. Robert Griffin III in this space.

Luck
    Sunday’s excellent performance by Luck requires no mention of RG3.

Luck passed for 433 yards, breaking the NFL single-game record for pass yards by a rookie, set a year ago by Cam Newton.

Per ESPN Stats and Info, two more Colts wins will help Luck match Sam Bradford’s record for wins by a rookie quarterback drafted No. 1 overall (seven in 2010) and could become the first QB drafted No. 1 overall to have a winning record in his rookie season.

Luck now has four 300-yard passing games this season, tying Peyton Manning’s rookie record.

Some notable things about what Luck did against Miami:
    1) Luck took advantage of a Dolphins defense that sent four or fewer pass-rushers on more than 60 percent of his dropbacks on Sunday. Despite struggling against such a pass rush in his first seven games, Luck rebounded to complete nearly 70 percent of his attempts including a go-ahead touchdown pass to T.Y. Hilton late in the third quarter.

Most notable was the difference in completion percentage. Against four or fewer rushers before Sunday, he was connecting on 56.7 percent of his passes. Against the Dolphins it was 69 percent.

2) Luck completed eight of 11 (72.5 percent) passes using play-action, including a 36-yard go-ahead touchdown pass to T.Y. Hilton. Entering Sunday, Luck had only one touchdown and completed 59.1 percent of his passes on play-action.

3) He continues to throw the ball down the field. His average completion was thrown 9.8 yards downfield against Miami, his highest in a game this season and more than a yard better than his league-high average entering Week 9 (8.4).

4) When he’s shifting around or on the move, he’s deadly. Luck completed all six of his passes on throws outside the pocket, and has completed 11 of 12 such passes over his past two games, averaging 14 yards per attempt. Entering Sunday, the league average completion percentage on throws outside the pocket was 51.9 percent.

5) He’s got the highest QBR (76.1) for a rookie through nine weeks since 2008.

He gets better and better. Now we'll see Luck and the Colts prepare on a short week. They make their one national TV appearance Thursday night in Jacksonville, where they will look to beat a team that beat them in Indianapolis back on Sept. 23.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post: