Thread: Pacers: Camp is still a week away, but George is already making an impact

Default Pacers: Camp is still a week away, but George is already making an impact

Written by Mike Wells

9/24/12

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/

The Pacers will step on the court at Bankers Life Fieldhouse as a team officially a week from today when they take part in the NBAís annual media day. Teams playing exhibition games overseas will have their media day later this week.
    The Pacers have been on the court unofficially for a couple of weeks now.

Just as Danny Granger mentioned during his camp last month, players have started trickling in for workouts.
    Paul George, according to people Iíve talked to, has come in with a different mindset.

Scrimmages early on are usually pretty sloppy, but George set the tempo for things on his first day out there.
    He got after it defensively, which forced everybody else out to increase their intensity.

ďHe came in there with the attitude that heís the best defender out there and he was going to show everybody,Ē one person said.

George and newcomer Gerald Green have had some competitive battles going back and forth at each other during the scrimmages.

Going head-to-head against players like LeBron, Durant and Kobe on a daily basis as part of the Team USA select squad over the summer has helped George, who is entering his third year. He was able to pick LeBronís brain while they were in the Far East on a Nike trip.

George worked out with different individual trainers on different aspects of his game during the summer. So helpfully PG has knocked the cuteness (Frank Vogelís description of it at times last season) out of his game.
    Everybody usually looks good early on (remember Jamaal Tinsley?), now itís a matter of George carrying that mindset over to the regular season because he had a disappointing second round playoff series against Miami last season. I lost count how many times Dwyane Wade blocked his shot in the series.

George probably cringed every time he watched his performance in that series while breaking down the film of his game at his agentís office in Los Angeles over the summer.

Media day is Oct. 1 and the Pacers will start two-a-day practices the following day.

------------

WOOHOO!!!

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Pacers: Camp is still a week away, but George is already making an impact

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Written by Mike Wells

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/

George worked out with different individual trainers on different aspects of his game during the summer. So helpfully PG has knocked the cuteness (Frank Vogel’s description of it at times last season) out of his game.
    IMHO, that was his biggest weakness last year. Putting up "cute" layups instead dunking the ball with authority.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pacers: Camp is still a week away, but George is already making an impact

Good for PG. Can't wait to read and see all the work these guys have put in. I feel like Hibbert and PG will continue to improve. Granger, just needs to have better shot selection so he can get his shooting %'s back up.

Also looking forward to seeing what Lance and Green have done. Hope both of those guys elevate the bench. Really looking for Lance to have a breakout year.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    IMHO, that was his biggest weakness last year. Putting up "cute" layups instead dunking the ball with authority.
    He did have a habit of going up too softly but IMO, he doesn't always need to dunk those attempts. He does need to attack quicker and launch closer to the basket. He seems to try to glide to the hole too often, taking off too soon and too far from the basket. You can do that against a player like Nick Young. Dwayne Wade will make you eat those type of shots.

It only takes a few minor adjustments to break that habit though. I'm sure he'll attack the basket with more force this year. There's no greater teacher than experience and he has some real world experience under his belt now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know this is a blog, and maybe I have the Monday blues. But a couple of more quotes, an interview with George on his time with Lebron, KD, and Kobe, along with Vogel's anticipation of his role and this is a great piece of journalism.

Without it its just a lazy blog post.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    I know this is a blog, and maybe I have the Monday blues. But a couple of more quotes, an interview with George on his time with Lebron, KD, and Kobe, along with Vogel's anticipation of his role and this is a great piece of journalism.

Without it its just a lazy blog post.
    Sure beats having this to talk about rather than PG heading to LA because he's changing his uni number or *****ing about how he's too busy doing China exhibitions to work on his handles.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No remorse Paul...no remorse!

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Sure beats having this to talk about rather than PG heading to LA because he's changing his uni number or *****ing about how he's too busy doing China exhibitions to work on his handles.

Hopefully he has continued to work on his strength. That is vital to his overall developement.
    He is still a young man so that can definitely be increased.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

I'm encouraged.

I'm ready to see how much the team improves with a full training camp and hopefully more complimentary players. This should be Paul George's year to figure out what he's going to be in this league.

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I was having my doubts about Paul during the summer, but I am very much encouraged now. We've been hearing nothing but positive things since he's come back to Indy and I look for him to have a good season.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

getting rid of the cuteness sounds like the old Isaiah Thomas/Chuck Daly story. Daly used the terms playing and winning instead of cuteness, but the idea is the same. Last year Paul was a guy that played the game. You try to win, but mainly you just play. Daly wanted to focus on winning rather than just playing. It will be nice to see Paul doing more trying to win instead of just trying to play.

I'm still concerned. Theres no mention of Paul working on his ball handling abilities.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

I was reading an article out of Phoenix. Apparently Jermaine is in the best shape of his life, his knee has never felt better.

@Pacers24Colts12

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pacers13Colts12 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DGPR View Post
    hopefully more complimentary players.
    I don't care if they give each other props, I just want them to fit well together
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    getting rid of the cuteness sounds like the old Isaiah Thomas/Chuck Daly story. Daly used the terms playing and winning instead of cuteness, but the idea is the same. Last year Paul was a guy that played the game. You try to win, but mainly you just play. Daly wanted to focus on winning rather than just playing. It will be nice to see Paul doing more trying to win instead of just trying to play.
    I'm not familiar with this story, so I am unsure where Isaiah Thomas fits into it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I'm still concerned. Theres no mention of Paul working on his ball handling abilities.
    from an article on Indycornrows.com

Indiana Pacers guards George Hill and Paul George spent the bulk of their Thursday pumping up their G2 Zone with radio appearances all over town all day. G3 seemed to have blast trading jokes on the Smiley Morning Show while PG had the afternoon shift, hitting the sports talkers to talk Pacers with Dan Dakich, Query & Schultz and JMV.

PG was rollin' with Double-D and ended up staying on the air through a couple of breaks for about an hour. From all of the interviews, PG mentioned how he immediately went to work on his ball handling following the loss to Miami last May.

He brought in a coach from NYC to focus on his handles and maintained that focus throughout the offseason. Hopefully that work shows up when the season tips off. Late in his chat with Dan Dakich, PG expressed his thoughts on new teammates D.J. Augustin and Gerald Green and what they can bring to the second unit.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersCenter View Post
    I was reading an article out of Phoenix. Apparently Jermaine is in the best shape of his life, his knee has never felt better.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Next stop June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    I was having my doubts about Paul during the summer, but I am very much encouraged now. We've been hearing nothing but positive things since he's come back to Indy and I look for him to have a good season.
    I look forward to being encouraged when he shows it on the court. I love the fact the guys are motivated and the team is great. But we've heard this talk since Jermaine O'Neal put on a jersey...since the Bender summers...since Brandon Rush bulked up. IDK. It's easy to feel good when you haven't lost a game in months. But things tend to change once the season starts.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I look forward to being encouraged when he shows it on the court. I love the fact the guys are motivated and the team is great. But we've heard this talk since Jermaine O'Neal put on a jersey...since the Bender summers...since Brandon Rush bulked up. IDK. It's easy to feel good when you haven't lost a game in months. But things tend to change once the season starts.
    Yeah but now we have Hibbert. And every year we hear that Hibbert is having a great off-season, he gets better. I do agree that when the season starts and perfection is not met, we can all say "well good offseason don't mean great seasons.

But in reality I think that it is a case by case basis, and understanding that a great offseason is not an end-all-be-all to weaknesses. Nor is it completely irrelevant.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I agree. I am not railing on the news. Just how it was shared. But maybe I am expecting too much too early.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

My favorite part of the blog post was this:

"George and newcomer Gerald Green have had some competitive battles going back and forth at each other during the scrimmages." That can only help them, pushing each other every day!

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    I agree. I am not railing on the news. Just how it was shared. But maybe I am expecting too much too early.
    Well, the most encouraging thing about this is it is all about self-motivation. They are hungry to be better. I can't wait until training camp starts!

I hope he can develop a "mean streak". After his disgraceful performance vs Miami, I want to see what a PO'd and motived Paul can do
    David "And One" West

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    My favorite part of the blog post was this:

"George and newcomer Gerald Green have had some competitive battles going back and forth at each other during the scrimmages." That can only help them, pushing each other every day!
    See, my favorite part was this...
    The Pacers will step on the court at Bankers Life Fieldhouse as a team officially a week from today when they take part in the NBA’s annual media day
    One week till camp starts, 5 weeks till regular season games.

BTW, improvement was a given. The questions coming out of off-season were always going to be centered around HOW MUCH improvement. No one had any reason to think these guys were about to phone in the off-season, especially coming off the Miami loss. They had motivation and all had specific reasons to expect improvement.

But will the collective improvement be enough to overcome the higher ranking teams?

In Mike's defense we all know the off-season story is pretty dull in this case. The big deals were resigns of guys already on the team, and the changes were all shuffles of guys at similar positions and similar talent. DJ will hopefully pass better than DC, but DC is a very skilled small guard. Green should be more dynamic than DJones, but dramatically so?

It's all kind of a virtual "stand pat" summer. So Mike doesn't have a lot of great storylines to go with right now. Roy is Roy but a little better is kinda boring. It's a good thing and I think we are all behind him 100% but it's the kind of mundane yet vital growth that makes a blah story even if it was the best possible outcome.

Having said that, some of those Green dunks that we know are coming...ooh baby!

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post: