Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jags-Colts

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jags-Colts

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One thing in that highlight reel, besides some nifty moves, power, and speed, there was some nice blocking and holes for him to run thru too.
    Well... it's a highlight reel. Generally good plays happen when the line blocks. Chicken/egg. They also had their breakdowns.

Edge, however, was way better in getting out into open space or seeing lanes. So even with an equally bad O-line, I'd have way more faith in Edge in producing something than I would Addai and Brown, both of whom do way too much dancing and hesitating behind the line for my tastes. Edge was always decisive and straight-ahead.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It should be noted Edge threw up a crazy 4.38 40 yard dash with a 6 ft 216 pound frame. Addai did almost the exact same I think, both were much faster than Brown. Who I think was 4.5 or higher.

Elite running backs have such a short shelf life now, you should cherish them while you have them as a football fan because they are so much fun to watch. 99-2000 Edge was one of the funnest Indy athletes of all time. What a player.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 09-19-2012 at 04:43 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It was worth it to have a subscription to ESPN the magazine during that time just to read all the stories he supplied to Lebatard...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Whole video is decent, but the run at 2:40 is the one I always keep in my head, that was one of the most masterful runs I've seen; his footwork and balance and vision is just impeccable, almost like a ballerina doing a dance haha. Watch that play and count how many Bears he avoids. It's at least 10-11, and a few times a guy he had already faked out once. They all had their chance and he just ---- whoops ---- one after the other for about 30 yards. When Edge was "on", he ran in a way that made the players on the field swirl around him like some epicenter of a hurricane... he just sent people flying everywhere with just a few subtle moves, and his strides weren't long, they were short and carefully placed.... He could ride a defense like a surfer does a wave, and just had this uncanny sense of how to use angles and leverage together with using people's own momentum against them.
    It's funny his 40 time at the combine was so good, because I never really regarded Edge as "fast" for a running back. He was.... a manipulator, a master of technique and footwork and balance and momentum. But he was also indeed fast when he needed to be. He seriously had no flaws, though... he was a masterful runner, a great pass-catcher, a great blocker, was awesome in the open field, a 4-down back that you never had to take out and he just seemed to get stronger and better as the game went on. It seemed like I had seen a stat somewhere that he averaged progressively more yardage in each quarter throughout his Indy stint... 20 yards in the 1st, 25in the 2nd, 30 in the 3rd, 35in the 4th, something like that. He was just a beast, and his injury and subsequent bump-down in production and mobility was one of the most sad things I've had to endure as an Indy fan, even if he was still able to go on for many seasons afterwards as a productive back. I always felt like he was going to go on and become one of the all-time legends and then --- ACL. Like... worst nightmare ever. Always felt like the NFL world was robbed of a truly special player. I sorta have that same feeling for Derrick Rose... but that's a whole other topic.

Indy never had a back better than Edge was in 1999-2000 and that's including Dickerson's stint here. It's arguable that his 1999-2000 seasons were two of the top 10 seasons ever for a running back. Remember when we got rid of Faulk and he went on to have those legendary seasons in St. Louis? Guess who knocked him off his throne --- Yep, The Edge. In his 2nd season. And then Priest Holmes came in after Edge tore his ACL --- he still never topped Edge's totals in 1999-2000. In 1999 when Faulk had his best season, something like 2400, Edge was right there with him as a friggin' rookie.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-19-2012 at 10:53 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post

Whole video is decent, but the run at 2:40 is the one I always keep in my head, that was one of the most masterful runs I've seen; his footwork and balance and vision is just impeccable, almost like a ballerina doing a dance haha. Watch that play and count how many Bears he avoids. It's at least 10-11, and a few times a guy he had already faked out once. They all had their chance and he just ---- whoops ---- one after the other for about 30 yards. When Edge was "on", he ran in a way that made the players on the field swirl around him like some epicenter of a hurricane... he just sent people flying everywhere with just a few subtle moves, and his strides weren't long, they were short and carefully placed.... He could ride a defense like a surfer does a wave, and just had this uncanny sense of how to use angles and leverage together with using people's own momentum against them.
    It's funny his 40 time at the combine was so good, because I never really regarded Edge as "fast" for a running back. He was.... a manipulator, a master of technique and footwork and balance and momentum. But he was also indeed fast when he needed to be. He seriously had no flaws, though... he was a masterful runner, a great pass-catcher, a great blocker, was awesome in the open field, a 4-down back that you never had to take out and he just seemed to get stronger and better as the game went on. It seemed like I had seen a stat somewhere that he averaged progressively more yardage in each quarter throughout his Indy stint... 20 yards in the 1st, 25in the 2nd, 30 in the 3rd, 35in the 4th, something like that. He was just a beast, and his injury and subsequent bump-down in production and mobility was one of the most sad things I've had to endure as an Indy fan, even if he was still able to go on for many seasons afterwards as a productive back. I always felt like he was going to go on and become one of the all-time legends and then --- ACL. Like... worst nightmare ever. Always felt like the NFL world was robbed of a truly special player. I sorta have that same feeling for Derrick Rose... but that's a whole other topic.

Indy never had a back better than Edge was in 1999-2000 and that's including Dickerson's stint here. It's arguable that his 1999-2000 seasons were two of the top 10 seasons ever for a running back. Remember when we got rid of Faulk and he went on to have those legendary seasons in St. Louis? Guess who knocked him off his throne --- Yep, The Edge. In his 2nd season. And then Priest Holmes came in after Edge tore his ACL --- he still never topped Edge's totals in 1999-2000. In 1999 when Faulk had his best season, something like 2400, Edge was right there with him as a friggin' rookie.
    Yup, Edge was very, very, very good. Without that injury people would be talking about him as the premier running back of the late 90's-early 2000's and as a Top 5-10 GOAT RB. Then again, you could probably say that about a few backs, they get injured so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Not home runs, just long runs, 20-30-40 yards. I know what the guy did lol.. and these other guys aren't exactly home run hitters either.
    I highly suggest revisiting some early Edge highlights, it's pretty clear post-injury Edge is etched in your mind. He rattled off a number of long runs pre-injury. He led the league in rushing his first two seasons, you don't do that with 350 4-yard runs.

Waaaaaaay off. Edge was a rook in 1999. Glenn was there, I'll give you that. Diem was drafted in 2001, Scott in 2004, so they weren't even in the picture, and Diem took a year or two to come into his own. Saturday was on the team, but as a backup, he didn't start 'til 2000 season. Meadows was there, I'm not sure I'd call him a monster by any means, but he was decent.

Off the top of my head, we had... McKinney, Waverly Jackson... That line... wasn't bad I guess. But I'd hardly call them all-world. I remember Peyton having some issues with the line in those early years. Tarik was good for at least 2 false starts a game, jeezus he was so good, but he had like a mental block with false starts.

You may be younger, I dunno... if that's the case, is it possible you became a fan after 2002? If so, it would be easy to not be aware that The Edge you came to know then was not near the runner he had been prior. By Edge's 4th season, he had already torn his ACL and had surgery and missed the rest of 2001 and then had a very lackluster 2002... he somewhat got back to being The Edge in 2003, but he wasn't the same runner after that. If you had a chance to watch him play in 1999 and 2000, he was something else. He was actually probly our best player on the team then, even above Peyton, who was still coming into his own but displaying some brilliant moments. Manning wasn't running no-huddle yet during Edge's first two years (they introduced the no-huddle in 2001, the same year James tore is ACL 6 games in), so we rode that horse all game long. Man that 3-headed monster was fun.
    I stand completely corrected on the O-Line piece, and actually forgot about the Jacksons and Mckinney's of the world. Lol in fact now that you bring it up, I remember it was Glenn, Mckinney, Larry Moore (remember him) Jackson, and Adam Meadows. I cant believe I was so far off, but you're definitely right.

NO they weren't world beaters, but they were very good run-blocking line. Much better than we've had in what, 8 years or so! In that highlight video, they were opening some good holes lol, Edge just knew what to do with them

I think my comments made it sound like I thought lowly of Edge. He was GREAT, no doubt, but if you read my comment, I was simply stating that he wasn't a "home-run" threat. As you said, he was a manipulator, cut back machine who would fake a defender and then burst through the line.

As far as someone who has the ability to take a handoff and take it all the way on a long touchdown run, Edge wasn't that--to me. But I would take him (pre-injury) over most back's all day long.
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 09-20-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yea, Larry Moore, I knew I was forgetting someone. They were a better line than what we have now, I'll give you that. Actually, they were a better run-blocking line than anything we've had since... but that's not exactly saying much, lol.... Once Peyton became "Peyton" around 2001-2002, our line became nothing but a pass protection line for about a decade.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I remember seeing Edge for the first time at training camp. People were gasping in the stands. This was before it was packed like it is now. When he would line up for a play, everyone would move down closer to the field to watch. At one point that first day, Edge broke 4 or 5 straight plays for a score. It was nuts. The DC, I think it was still Fangio then, was blowing a gasket on his guys for letting that "rook" make them look foolish. My dad and I immediately went home and told anyone who would listen what a badass Edge was.

I still think it stinks that Edge wasn't around for that Super Bowl run. At least Irsay gave the guy the credit he definitely deserved for helping that team get there though.
    Last edited by travmil; 09-20-2012 at 11:51 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

My favorite part about Edge's career is how he was able to bounce back from that injury he suffered in 01. That injury was still hobbling him in 02, but in 03 he bounced back completely and put together three monster seasons here before leaving for Arizona.

A Colt forever. Glad he'll be up there with Marvin.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    My favorite part about Edge's career is how he was able to bounce back from that injury he suffered in 01. That injury was still hobbling him in 02, but in 03 he bounced back completely and put together three monster seasons here before leaving for Arizona.

A Colt forever. Glad he'll be up there with Marvin.
    Yea, he did all that post-injury, and he never fully regained the form he had pre-injury. Still monster seasons. Tells you how much of a B.A. he was. Even on one knee, he was still a beast. He just made it work. I still think The Edge lost his edge after the injury, but he was still very "sharp".

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

For 2.5 seasons James was the top RB in the NFL. Put that man in the HOF. James > Curtis Martin
    David "And One" West

The game is sold out so locals can see Edge inducted into the Ring of Honor.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

as been said, stopping mjd is a tall order. i can't recall the last time the colts D actually stopped a good r.b.
    heck, i can't remember the last time they stopped a mediocre r.b.
    i think he will likely break 100 yards easily unless he gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    as been said, stopping mjd is a tall order. i can't recall the last time the colts D actually stopped a good r.b.
    heck, i can't remember the last time they stopped a mediocre r.b.
    i think he will likely break 100 yards easily unless he gets hurt.
    They just held Peterson to 60 yards on 16 carries last week.

Chris Johnson had like 80 total yards against us in 2 games last year. Of course, Chris Johnson also sucks now.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Yup, Edge was very, very, very good. Without that injury people would be talking about him as the premier running back of the late 90's-early 2000's and as a Top 5-10 GOAT RB. Then again, you could probably say that about a few backs, they get injured so much.
    i remember a play where he was running the ball and BLASTED jason seahorn with a stiff-arm to the facemask and rocked his world.

held him to 60 huh? that actually is pretty good, pretty surprising to be honest.
    well, maybe it just seems to me at least that our D gets scorched with regularity. i have seen it happen so many times. not so much the super-mega runs but painful, 6-8 yarders where the backs just keep pushing through our guys time and again over the years. and of course our special teams seem to have their fair share of kickoff returns run back for touchdowns or the opponents are starting at the 50.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    They just held Peterson to 60 yards on 16 carries last week.

Chris Johnson had like 80 total yards against us in 2 games last year. Of course, Chris Johnson also sucks now.
    It sorta upsets me that this guy holds the single-season record for total yards from scrimmage for his, what now appears to be flash-in-the-pan, 2009 season. Faulk was a legendary running back... lost his record to this tool.

The Star is saying Collie WILL play Sunday...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    The Star is saying Collie WILL play Sunday...
    I would've saved him for the GB game but seeing as how he's already missed a lot of games as is might as well. Hopefully he'll stay in one piece.

Over/under of 2 on Collie games played this year?

Based on his current trajectory, he's going to get another concussion either in the beginning of this game or when he's running out onto the field.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Now I'm seeing Collie might not play...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Starting now pretty much in when I'll start evaluating the Davis trade. He wasn't good against the Bears. Solid against Minnesota (and a surprisingly decent Ponder). Now's the time to become the guy Grigson traded for. Shut down Blackmon.

We have had so many busts in the second round it hardly seems possible that the Davis trade will turn out to be a mistake

inactives: Harnish, Gordy, Carter, Angerer, Sowell, Reitz, Freeney.
    Phillip Wilson tweet

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    We have had so many busts in the second round it hardly seems possible that the Davis trade will turn out to be a mistake
    It's entirely new management. The two regimes are in no way related. Unless you think Fleener's a bust. And so far he's disappointing. Catch the ball dude.