Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jags-Colts

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Jags-Colts

Colts 31 Jags 10. Defense will show up again against a poor offense of Jacksonville. All they need to stop is MJD. The offense will throw all over the Jags' D and Donald Brown will find running room later in the game. Easy win for the Colts.
    Smothered Chicken!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jags-Colts

Last game for Donald Brown for me if he does not perform i would be giving Vick Ballard a go
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

I honestly would give Ballard the start. Brown was horrible in every facet of the game against Minnesota.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

You have to give Brown some slack for last game, we had 2 starters in the oline playing. There were no holes at all. That said, I like Vick a lot more.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All they need to stop is MJD.
    That's a very tall order. I'm not saying the Colts can't stop MJD, but they've had (a lot) of trouble with that in the past. I am hoping though that our offseason changes make a difference this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    You have to give Brown some slack for last game, we had 2 starters in the oline playing. There were no holes at all. That said, I like Vick a lot more.
    Does that excuse his **** poor blocking that has been present since day 1? Remember God damn it Donald? Or his complete impotence to support the passing game by catching the ball?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CompACE View Post
    That's a very tall order. I'm not saying the Colts can't stop MJD, but they've had (a lot) of trouble with that in the past. I am hoping though that our offseason changes make a difference this time around.
    I would play Powers and Davis close to the line. Dare Gabbert or whoever to beat you deep.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Didn't Gabbert get hurt this week? Do it. Do it. Do it.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

I never liked Brown as a back up, and I think he has done nothing but validate that. I can't remember the last time I saw him break a tackle. Where as I see RBs against us break multiple tackles in one play

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jags always play us tough, even when they are having a bad season. Gabbert is dinged up. I still expect a dog fight. Indy *should* win. 28-14 Colts.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Does that excuse his **** poor blocking that has been present since day 1? Remember God damn it Donald? Or his complete impotence to support the passing game by catching the ball?
    A nutless monkey could do his job... Green.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I'm just saying it would have been difficult for anyone to run Sunday with that line. But yes, be sucks tremendously.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    I never liked Brown as a back up, and I think he has done nothing but validate that. I can't remember the last time I saw him break a tackle. Where as I see RBs against us break multiple tackles in one play
    We should let him play for the Jags next game, if he breaks tackles against us, then it's our offensive line. If he doesn't then we should sign the nutless monkey and buy a g5...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I'm just saying it would have been difficult for anyone to run Sunday with that line. But yes, be sucks tremendously.
    He's ran for more big plays in a limited role than Edge and Addai have combined, Donald is not perfect by any stretch but it's not like any back has looked good back there...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Edge ran for more long plays than any of those guys pre-injury. Post-injury he became "Mr. 4 Yards A Carry Guaranteed But No More".
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Edge ran for more long plays than any of those guys pre-injury. Post-injury he became "Mr. 4 Yards A Carry Guaranteed But No More".
    His career long came in his rookie year and he never came close to it even before the injury. They are different backs for sure, but we only judge him based on Edge type runs.

Instead of Donald Brown, we could have drafted Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt, Beanie Wells, or LeSean McCoy. And those are just the guys that immediately jumped out at me.

Another classic poor Polian draft decision at the end of his career.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-18-2012 at 02:54 PM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Edge still rattled off some big runs on a much more consistent basis than Addai/Rhodes/Brown. They may not have been as long as those other "long" runs, but he did it more often. Pre-injury. He was beast-mode in his first 2.5 years.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Our offensive line was STACKED during Edge's first 2 1/2 years. We had Glenn, Diem, Saturday, Scott and Adam Meadows (maybe) on the o-line then. That vaunted stretch play was hard to stop back in the day. Once we lost some of those o-linemen, the stretch play became a hit or miss type of play.

With that said, Edge was NEVER a burner. Now if you think that a long run us 12-15 yards; then yes he would have those a few times a game. But he was never a home-run threat, and he led the league in rushing his first two years because of his consistency getting 5-8 yards a pop.

During Addai's rookie year, he was a pretty explosive and at times powerful runner. He and Dom thrived in the 1-2 punch type of running game that we instilled. But a lot like Edge, they would also rattle off 8-15 yard runs every now and then, but never any "home-run" type of scores.

Obviously Edge was the better talent. HOF talent. But it was more attributed to his ability to cut back and consistently get 5-8 yards, as opposed to being an explosive home run hitter.
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 09-18-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    With that said, Edge was NEVER a burner. Now if you think that a long run us 12-15 yards; then yes he would have those a few times a game. But he was never a home-run threat, and he led the league in rushing his first two years because of his consistency getting 5-8 yards a pop.
    Not home runs, just long runs, 20-30-40 yards. I know what the guy did lol.. and these other guys aren't exactly home run hitters either.
    I highly suggest revisiting some early Edge highlights, it's pretty clear post-injury Edge is etched in your mind. He rattled off a number of long runs pre-injury. He led the league in rushing his first two seasons, you don't do that with 350 4-yard runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Our offensive line was STACKED during Edge's first 2 1/2 years. We had Glenn, Diem, Saturday, Scott and Adam Meadows (maybe) on the o-line then. That vaunted stretch play was hard to stop back in the day. Once we lost some of those o-linemen, the stretch play became a hit or miss type of play.
    Waaaaaaay off. Edge was a rook in 1999. Glenn was there, I'll give you that. Diem was drafted in 2001, Scott in 2004, so they weren't even in the picture, and Diem took a year or two to come into his own. Saturday was on the team, but as a backup, he didn't start 'til 2000 season. Meadows was there, I'm not sure I'd call him a monster by any means, but he was decent.

Off the top of my head, we had... McKinney, Waverly Jackson... That line... wasn't bad I guess. But I'd hardly call them all-world. I remember Peyton having some issues with the line in those early years. Tarik was good for at least 2 false starts a game, jeezus he was so good, but he had like a mental block with false starts.

You may be younger, I dunno... if that's the case, is it possible you became a fan after 2002? If so, it would be easy to not be aware that The Edge you came to know then was not near the runner he had been prior. By Edge's 4th season, he had already torn his ACL and had surgery and missed the rest of 2001 and then had a very lackluster 2002... he somewhat got back to being The Edge in 2003, but he wasn't the same runner after that. If you had a chance to watch him play in 1999 and 2000, he was something else. He was actually probly our best player on the team then, even above Peyton, who was still coming into his own but displaying some brilliant moments. Manning wasn't running no-huddle yet during Edge's first two years (they introduced the no-huddle in 2001, the same year James tore is ACL 6 games in), so we rode that horse all game long. Man that 3-headed monster was fun.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-18-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here saved you the effort. Pre-injury Edge was 4X the back of Addai and Brown and post-injury Edge was still twice as good:

He was the total package; terrific vision, terrific blocker, terrific pass-catcher, terrific runner and one of the best stiff arms of all time. He could run through and between tackles, or jump outside. He had a terrific spin move and a stop-and-go that left people's shoes on the turf.

He was before fantasy football was big, but if it had been, he would've been the #1 pick each year, he was a fantasy player's "fantasy" haha.

He led the league in rushing and yards from scrimmage in his first two seasons... over 2000 yards per season and 2300 the 2nd season. 17-18 TDs a season. It's a record that still stands I believe for a player in his first two seasons. He was on his way and leading the league again in his 3rd season before his injury. It's a real shame, because although he still came back as a very effective back from that injury, he apparently wasn't the same dynamic runner he was before. He seriously could have gone down as one of the greatest of all time. He had it all.

Nice timing that we're talking about Edge this week, as he's inducted into the Ring of Honor.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-18-2012 at 10:17 PM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

I am predicting Vontae Davis will get his first interception this week, if the Jags watch the tape they will see that Minnesota went at Jerraud Powers all game and could not do much against him, I expect them to try to throw on Vontae and I think he will have the same result but will bring in a pick

Mood

Colts- 28
    Jags- 14

Colts 24
    Jags 14

At about 1:27 of the Edge highlights... Against the Jets (right after the Pats' highlight)... Does anyone remember that game/play? Just curious if there was a fumble right there. The last defender gets a swipe at the ball and then the highlight ends with Edge still on his feet. Seems an odd place to end the highlight.... before he's gotten all his yardage. Maybe it was in the endzone?

One thing in that highlight reel, besides some nifty moves, power, and speed, there was some nice blocking and holes for him to run thru too.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden