Thread: Colts defensive position grades

Default Colts defensive position grades

D-Line B+/ The Colts d-line did a good job of getting pressure on Ponder when he was throwing the ball and knocked down a few balls at the line, they need to work on stopping the run more consistently, I thought Cory Redding had a pretty solid game out there
    Linebackers B-/ Not a lot of noticeable plays by the linebackers, they need to work on their pass coverage and made a few nice plays on stopping the run, I thought Freeman and Fokou looked solid
    Defensive backs A-/ I thought the coverage was pretty good all day, it seemed like they hardly threw towards Vontae Davis except for screen passes but I hardly saw him mess up or be out of position, Tom Zbikowski continues to struggle and needs to step up, Antoine Bethea had a solid day making tackles and had a nice coverage play where he drew offensive PI, Jerraud Powers had a really good game IMO, he batted down multiple passes and never really got burned on any plays and looked good out there

Agree or disagree?

Default Re: Colts defensive position grades

I thought that the secondary was excellent. Before the Davis trade, the secondary was a big question mark, but as long as Powers, Bethea, and Davis are healthy, that is one of the better parts of the defense. Two pro bowl level players and a great second corner.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Powers is much better than Davis so far. That's what I've noticed about the secondary.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

rel

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Zbikowski is clearly not a starting caliber safety. He takes horrific angles but our secondary has markedly improved from a season ago.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Powers is much better than Davis so far. That's what I've noticed about the secondary.
    Powers has had more time with this system/team, too. I think we have the makings of a very good secondary, especially once Davis comes around. I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the year, Davis is our #1 and Powers #2, and I'm perfectly fine with that. Both are fine backs.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought our D was extremely impressive given the context. Complete off-season overhaul and system change... lotta new guys and some of them picked off the street (Freeman). I never expected them to pitch a 6-pointer through 3 quarters, but they did. Our change in playcalling allowed Minny back in the game, but before that, we shut down some pretty impressive offensive players for Minny.

I'm also mostly impressed with our special teams.

I'm tellin y'all, our only real weak spot was our running game, which is mostly a symptom of our O-line, and I believe our O-line will improve as they gel... we could be looking at a pretty decent team in the 2nd half of this season once that O-line comes somewhat together and we get a few guys back from injury. I'm still not expecting a playoff berth, and we may not even hit .500, but we'll be a team that keeps it close in most games and will not be an "easy-out" for anyone.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-17-2012 at 11:37 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I thought our D was extremely impressive given the context. Complete off-season overhaul and system change... lotta new guys and some of them picked off the street (Freeman). I never expected them to pitch a 6-pointer through 3 quarters, but they did. Our change in playcalling allowed Minny back in the game, but before that, we shut down some pretty impressive offensive players for Minny.

I'm also mostly impressed with our special teams.

I'm tellin y'all, our only real weak spot was our running game, which is mostly a symptom of our O-line, and I believe our O-line will improve as they gel... we could be looking at a pretty decent team in the 2nd half of this season once that O-line comes somewhat together and we get a few guys back from injury. I'm still not expecting a playoff berth, and we may not even hit .500, but we'll be a team that keeps it close in most games and will not be an "easy-out" for anyone.
    The best 1-15 team in NFL history?
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't blame all the run game on the o-line. Brown is terrible. The most frustratingly inconsistent back we've ever had. One game he is a great north south runner and the next he plays dance behind the line more than anyone else in the country. Add into that the fact that he is a terrible pass proctection back and not very good at catching the ball and I struggle to find a reason he plays at all.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Because he's all we got, lol.... which is why I say we hope for a stud RB in the next draft. It would address a ton of issues, including protection. Of course that assumes one is available. If not... we gotta go line.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    The best 1-15 team in NFL history?
    That's over-shooting, we were sposed to go 0-16, remember? Awww ****.... we screwed the pooch on that one.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post: