Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Notre Dame Football Thread

Default Re: 2012 Notre Dame Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NY Daily News says the voice on the phone was Tuiasosopo

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/co...icle-1.1246480
    Now that's weird, and really stretches the realm of believability for me.

In hundreds of hours this guy kept his act up perfectly? In a heated moment he never slipped back into dude-voice? If so this is one seriously sick individual.

But then those other tweets someone showed a few pages back aren't consistent with a Manti that knows he's actually in love with a dude.

So maybe that Ronaiah guy is just that disturbed.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Also isn't the whole, they are actually gay and this was just a cover up thing still in play too? Tuiasosopo takes the fall as the lone perp to cover it up. It explains the ridiculous amount of phone calls.
    Honestly, he'd come out of this better if that scenario were the case than any of the other options.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

So what about the voicemails that Katie Couric released???

http://www.katiecouric.com/features/...tie-exclusive/

Page mysteriously disappeared shortly after being posted, but I managed to grab the audio clips before it disappeared....

Direct link to the audio still works....Check it out....

http://cdn.katiecouric.com/media/201...mo_1-2-MP3.mp3

http://cdn.katiecouric.com/media/201...ne_1-2-MP3.mp3

http://cdn.katiecouric.com/media/201...11_1-2-MP3.mp3

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Now that's weird, and really stretches the realm of believability for me.

In hundreds of hours this guy kept his act up perfectly? In a heated moment he never slipped back into dude-voice? If so this is one seriously sick individual.

But then those other tweets someone showed a few pages back aren't consistent with a Manti that knows he's actually in love with a dude.

So maybe that Ronaiah guy is just that disturbed.
    Maybe Manti has never talked to a real girl before and just assumes they sound like dudes.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ejwallace View Post
    So what about the voicemails that Katie Couric released???

http://www.katiecouric.com/features/...tie-exclusive/

Page mysteriously disappeared shortly after being posted, but I managed to grab the audio clips before it disappeared....

Direct link to the audio still works....Check it out....

http://cdn.katiecouric.com/media/201...mo_1-2-MP3.mp3

http://cdn.katiecouric.com/media/201...ne_1-2-MP3.mp3

http://cdn.katiecouric.com/media/201...11_1-2-MP3.mp3
    WOW....Those links are dead now too....Might have to try and post the audio to my own server....

I mean every time a new twist comes out there's an excuse. Oh there was no girl involved on the phone? Well Tuiasosopo just impersonated a girl.
    The guy already admitted that he and his male cousin, along with their female cousin, all talked to him.

Maybe Manti has never talked to a real girl before and just assumes they sound like dudes.
    Or they used the cancer excuse, being tired/etc, to explain the differences. Te'o thought he talked to her coming out of a coma, which is dumb, but I seriously doubt you're really concered with tone in the moment.

This story just gets weirder and weirder.

Mood

Uploaded it to my youtube account....don't know how long it will be there, but I had to make it a video.....Oh well, you get the jist....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post:

http://www.esquire.com/features/spor...ng-theory-0796

Quote Originally Posted by David F Wallace, Esquire Mag
    It’s not just the athletic artistry that compels interest in tennis at the professional level. It’s also what this level requires -- what it’s taken for the one-hundredth-ranked player in the world to get there, what it takes to stay, what it would take to rise even higher against other men who’ve paid the same price number one hundred has paid.

Americans revere athletic excellence, competitive success, and it’s more than lip service we pay; we vote with our wallets. We’ll pay large sums to watch a truly great athlete; we’ll reward him with celebrity and adulation and will even go so far as to buy products and services he endorses.

But it’s better for us not to know the kinds of sacrifices the professional-grade athlete has made to get so very good at one particular thing. Oh, we’ll invoke lush clichés about the lonely heroism of Olympic athletes, the pain and analgesia of football, the early rising and hours of practice and restricted diets, the preflight celibacy, et cetera. But the actual facts of the sacrifices repel us when we see them: basketball geniuses who cannot read, sprinters who dope themselves, defensive tackles who shoot up with bovine hormones until they collapse or explode. We prefer not to consider closely the shockingly vapid and primitive comments uttered by athletes in postcontest interviews or to consider what impoverishments in one’s mental life would allow people actually to think the way great athletes seem to think. Note the way “up close and personal” profiles of professional athletes strain so hard to find evidence of a rounded human life -- outside interests and activities, values beyond the sport. We ignore what’s obvious, that most of this straining is farce. It’s farce because the realities of top-level athletics today require an early and total commitment to one area of excellence. An ascetic focus 37. A subsumption of almost all other features of human life to one chosen talent and pursuit. A consent to live in a world that, like a child’s world, is very small.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...king-manti-teo

has a voice mail, sounds chick-like. Tuiasosopo is clearly gay...

Grimes said that Tuiasosopo wasn't trying to hurt Te'o.

"This wasn't a prank to make fun," Grimes said, according to the newspaper. "It was establishing a communication with someone. ... It was a person with a troubled existence trying to reach out and communicate and have a relationship."

Grimes wouldn't characterize the type of relationship Tuiasosopo wanted with the Heisman Trophy runner-up.

"I wouldn't describe his issues at this time," he said to the Daily News.

How could he get away with it, though? Tuiasosopo, 22, has had dramatic training, plays in a Christian band and even auditioned last year for the television show "The Voice."

"Come on, Hollywood does it all the time," Grimes said of his client pretending to be a woman. "People can do that."
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Mood

Manti is FAAAAAAAAAAR from it.....

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Bill if I offended you by my comments about Manti, I apologize. Certainly people can be duped, but there are an awful lot of things here that you have to be extraordinarily gullible to be duped for this long. I mean he spent 2,000+ hours on the phone with a guy pretending to be a girl.
    Where I get frustrated is that people really don't understand the psychology of a con and how easy it is to be drawn in to the point where you simply believe what you have come to believe no matter what gets presented. That's what makes a con artist successful, the ability to lead someone into this stage of belief.

So many of the things being brought up as "major holes" are only holes when you look at them from the outside in hindsight. Think of all the women you know - you can't tell me there aren't at least one or two with speaking voices in the lower alto range. Think of all the men you know - I'll bet there are more than one or two tenor range speakers. Add to that the idea that we pick up gender from speaking methods - the "question" raise at the end of a sentence is an extreme example of a vocal mannerism almost entirely associated with women - and the fact that telephone signals are truncated to 0-3K hertz and there's not a lot of immediate red flags there.

I feel like a lot of the jumping on Te'o is because of the stereotype that football players are all "big man on campus" types, outgoing, gregarious, promiscuous, and able to meet, date, and score with any woman with just a snap of their fingers. Since this indicates someone exactly the opposite - perhaps only able to talk to girls on line, not running around with girls on campus for reasons of personality, religion, or ethnicity - then he must be either stupid or gay or so egotistical that he set the whole thing up. None of those conclusions follow simply from the situation, certainly when you count the number of otherwise very smart people in the world who fall for long-term scams every day.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Yeah, but then you have the whole right after Lennay "died" he's out with an actual girl on ND campus thing...

lmfao

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Where I get frustrated is that people really don't understand the psychology of a con and how easy it is to be drawn in to the point where you simply believe what you have come to believe no matter what gets presented. That's what makes a con artist successful, the ability to lead someone into this stage of belief.

So many of the things being brought up as "major holes" are only holes when you look at them from the outside in hindsight. Think of all the women you know - you can't tell me there aren't at least one or two with speaking voices in the lower alto range. Think of all the men you know - I'll bet there are more than one or two tenor range speakers. Add to that the idea that we pick up gender from speaking methods - the "question" raise at the end of a sentence is an extreme example of a vocal mannerism almost entirely associated with women - and the fact that telephone signals are truncated to 0-3K hertz and there's not a lot of immediate red flags there.

I feel like a lot of the jumping on Te'o is because of the stereotype that football players are all "big man on campus" types, outgoing, gregarious, promiscuous, and able to meet, date, and score with any woman with just a snap of their fingers. Since this indicates someone exactly the opposite - perhaps only able to talk to girls on line, not running around with girls on campus for reasons of personality, religion, or ethnicity - then he must be either stupid or gay or so egotistical that he set the whole thing up. None of those conclusions follow simply from the situation, certainly when you count the number of otherwise very smart people in the world who fall for long-term scams every day.
    Thanks for this. I remember reading a long time ago about these kinds of scams, and really it's just sickening. People look past all kinds of warning signs when they think they're in love. You can call them stupid for doing that--but then I've done all kinds of stupid crap when I'm crazy for a woman. I cringe a little to think about them. More than the victim being stupid, what turns my stomach about this stuff is how sick you have to be to do this to someone. How can you inflict that pain?

The difference in this case, though, is that his "saving face" lies also happened to benefit him immensely in terms of national attention and awards buzz. That's too bad, because when this happens to most people, I doubt anyone ever even remembers their "saving face" lies. He happened to be a star athlete on the verge on national media saturation. All his lies were magnified, and I think you have to admit that he did milk it some. He loved all the attention. So, you know, that's not very good, and I don't see anything wrong with people being angry with him over that. I saw a clip from the Couric interview where he said people whose loved ones had cancer were coming to him for help and inspiration. Yeah, I think those people are in the right to feel betrayed.

Also, I mentioned the gay thing to start not as an insult; it just seemed to make the most sense. And really I couldn't care less whether he likes guys or girls. It just seemed to fit.

I didn't think anyone was insinuating him possibly being gay is a bad thing. I still think it makes all the pieces fit together, and even when you listen to those voicemails....man I don't know. Weird.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Also I love that this thread earned a DFW quote, and especially from the Joyce profile, which IMO is underrated.

Really this whole story is almost like something out of Infinite Jest, especially the BREAKING NEWS: MANTI TE'O'S DEAD GIRLFRIEND DOES NOT EXIST headline.

Anyone who hasn't should read his profile of Federer, which is one of the greatest pieces of sports writing you'll see. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/sp...anted=all&_r=0

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...osopo/1863869/

Apparently, its was dudes female cousin on the voice mail recordings.

Manti Te'o was speaking to a women on the phone after all.
    The architect of the hoax, Ronaiah Tuiasosopo , used his cousin Tino to play the part of Lennay Kekua during conversations with Te'o.
    "Tino is the girl that Manti has been talking to all these months," a cousin of Tuiasosopo told the New York Post.

ESPN: Manti Te'o girlfriend voice at issue
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...nti-teo-report
    Hollywood couldn't make this up. One day after a report that the voice of Manti Te'o's fake girlfriend belonged to the man who masterminded the hoax, Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, another voice has emerged -- that of his female cousin.

Relatives of Tino Tuiasosopo, a woman in her mid-20s who lives in Pago Pago, American Samoa, told the New York Post that Te'o has been speaking to her.
    "Tino is the girl that Manti has been talking to all these months," said a Tuiasosopo cousin, according to the Post.

[a few paragraphs down]

A person identified as Tino Tuiasosopo's cousin said: "There is no doubt whatsoever that it's Tino."
    After listening to the tape of "Kekua" hysterically accusing Te'o of having another girl in his room, one of the Post's sources said: "That's the way [Tino] cries when she's feeling sorry for herself. Its her, that's the voice."

I wonder what Brent Musberger thinks? ....Plus the one chick already has that QB for a boyfriend. Meanwhile, it seems like Lennay would be the perfect fantasy chick for Brent...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

CBS will be airing a two part taped interview with Ronaiah Tuiasosopo on Dr. Phil this Thursday and Friday.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-info-and-more

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...o-as-romantic/

For Tuiasosopo, he was in love with Te'o.

He says T’eo was “absolutely, unequivocally” not involved in the hoax.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Ronaiah Tuiasosopo also says the voice of Manti Te'o's "girlfriend," Lennay Kekua, was his.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...nti-teo-not-it

----
    I hope Dr. Phil took the logical step and asked him to speak in the voice we hear on those tapes.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Gunner Kiel's transferring, make up your freaking mind kid

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/foot...ds-to-transfer