Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Notre Dame Football Thread

Default Re: 2012 Notre Dame Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...tion-was-prank

Facebook messages from Teo to a friend where he doubts if this is a hoax. The messages are dated 2010
    ***** Christ that's some sick ****. Sowing the seeds that far in advance. You have to be seriously messed up to put that much effort into being a fake person. I don't think I can really follow this story anymore. I really wanted it to be a coverup for gay love or something with a least a smidgen of humanity. I mean even in a "let's cook up a hot PR story" situation, at least that's just plain old greed and the thirst for fame. It turns my stomach to think about this kind of sick stuff.

You know even if the NFL thing doesn't work out, there could be a lot of money in book and movie deals for this story.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Serious question:

If this doesnt come out, do you think the dude who pretended to be the GF has her come back from the dead and try to get money from Teo?

Ok, I just said serious question and then asked if a imaginary person would come back from the dead. And that really happened. I am laughing hard here, and my wife is looking at me like I a bat **** crazy

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    You have to be seriously messed up to put that much effort into being a fake person. I don't think I can really follow this story anymore. I really wanted it to be a coverup for gay love or something with a least a smidgen of humanity.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Manti Te'o hoax continued in Miami

Manti Te'o was still being hoaxed two nights before the Discover BCS National Championship, a source told "Outside the Lines."

The Saturday night before the title game, the Notre Dame linebacker said he thought a group of people that had admitted duping him about the death of his Internet girlfriend "Lennay Kekua" was downstairs in the Notre Dame team hotel lobby trying to reach him, according to an interview Te'o did with ESPN.

However, "Outside the Lines" has learned that the stalking story appears to be just one more hoax that was played on Te'o.
    http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...mi-source-says

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    Like Since, my girlfriend has dragged me into watching Catfish (but I'll admit I started to at least be kind of interested in the outcomes) and I would say it's not uncommon for a long relationship based only online.

Think about it, you meet online, you believe it's love, you just stop after a year because you haven't met? I mean, you've gone this far. I think it's crazy that someone could get back with a cheater, but people do it. Why wouldn't you still be in love with someone that is saying maybe they're just afraid to meet you? It's not a betrayal. If you can fall in love with someone you haven't met, it's not out of the question that you could let it drag on for years.
    It's all "possible" I guess, but I just personally have a hard time believing that a superstar college football player would spend years in a relationship where he never actually met the person. I think that virtually any other athlete in his position would use their fame to lure in some attractive co-eds who they could actually see face to face. That's the normal thing to do for a popular college athlete. He could have had his pick of real women to have physical relationships with, yet we're supposed to believe that all he wanted was this woman who he could never actually meet? That just doesn't add up to me at all.

Until we see some really good evidence that he was duped, I'm going to continue to believe that he was in on the hoax. It's the most simple and logical explanation. So many bizarre things would have to be true for him to have been genuinely duped for all of these years. I'm not buying it.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-21-2013 at 11:46 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

The only thing I could think of is because he is Mormon and maybe he found it easier to follow his lifestyle if he did not have interaction w the young lady.

Besdies that, I have nothing. And my theory ignores the fact he dated someone else from St. Marys.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I've held off weighing in on this because I don't have a dog in the hunt, but there is something that people need to realize.

For all that we active Internet users are savvy and understanding of how social media works, there are still lots of people out there, young and old, who are naive and don't get it. There isn't some automatic conferral of Net-Know-How because someone turns 16 any more than there is some automatic coolness with the preferred sex that comes with puberty. I can fully understand how someone who is awkward in personal relationships and unsophisticated in the ways of Teh Intartubez could not only be drawn in by something like this but have it last for a long period of time (and refuse to believe it is a hoax even when it is pointed out). I spend a LOT of time with family and friends trying to help straighten out similar situations - including some very major scams they get themselves involved in. And these are people with advanced degrees in engineering and other disciplines.

Whatever the supporting facts may be, discounting a possibility because someone would have to "be pretty stupid" not to catch on is NOT a valid argument.

For what it is worth, my wife and I knew each other on line (back in the ancient Compuserv days) for over a year and a half before we ever met face-to-face - we've now been married 25 years.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    It's all "possible" I guess, but I just personally have a hard time believing that a superstar college football player would spend years in a relationship where he never actually met the person. I think that virtually any other athlete in his position would use their fame to lure in some attractive co-eds who they could actually see face to face. That's the normal thing to do for a popular college athlete. He could have had his pick of real women to have physical relationships with, yet we're supposed to believe that all he wanted was this woman who he could never actually meet? That just doesn't add up to me at all.

Until we see some really good evidence that he was duped, I'm going to continue to believe that he was in on the hoax. It's the most simple and logical explanation. So many bizarre things would have to be true for him to have been genuinely duped for all of these years. I'm not buying it.
    And this is why it's so easy to think Te'o got caught up in the lie about seeing her.

Could you imagine trying to explain your relationship to people over and over again that have this kind of reaction? Especially in a lockerroom full of 18-22 y/o old males who have one thing on their mind after football.
    Last edited by Since86; 01-22-2013 at 09:22 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I've held off weighing in on this because I don't have a dog in the hunt, but there is something that people need to realize.

For all that we active Internet users are savvy and understanding of how social media works, there are still lots of people out there, young and old, who are naive and don't get it. There isn't some automatic conferral of Net-Know-How because someone turns 16 any more than there is some automatic coolness with the preferred sex that comes with puberty. I can fully understand how someone who is awkward in personal relationships and unsophisticated in the ways of Teh Intartubez could not only be drawn in by something like this but have it last for a long period of time (and refuse to believe it is a hoax even when it is pointed out). I spend a LOT of time with family and friends trying to help straighten out similar situations - including some very major scams they get themselves involved in. And these are people with advanced degrees in engineering and other disciplines.

Whatever the supporting facts may be, discounting a possibility because someone would have to "be pretty stupid" not to catch on is NOT a valid argument.

For what it is worth, my wife and I knew each other on line (back in the ancient Compuserv days) for over a year and a half before we ever met face-to-face - we've now been married 25 years.
    This is where I stand.

I still have doubts due to him never visiting the sick girlfriend. But weirder things have happened I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    And this is why it's so easy to think Te'o got caught up in the lie about seeing her.

Could you imagine trying to explain your relationship to people over and over again that have this kind of reaction?
    Not to mention 99.9% of them (at least the dudes) would question if you played for the other team when they heard that story......come on man, what kinda dude wouldnt bag every hot college chick he sees if you are a star player

(TBH, he was a good player but I never remember him being a "highlighted" player before this season)

Te'o was pretty good throughout his entire career. He had 126 tackles last season, and 133 the season prior. He's 11th all time in total tackles, and this season was 3rd best out of his 4yrs for total tackles. 1st all time for the independent teams.

Te'o was pretty good throughout his entire career. He had 126 tackles last season, and 133 the season prior. He's 11th all time in total tackles, and this season was 3rd best out of his 4yrs for total tackles. 1st all time for the independent teams.
    I know he was good, but I am talking when he became a "superstar"

Maybe I just misses it watching the CB's and safetys get burned the last 3 years (and this past year to a bit, though the D line helped a lot with that)

Could you imagine trying to explain your relationship to people over and over again that have this kind of reaction? Especially in a lockerroom full of 18-22 y/o old males who have one thing on their mind after football.
    Right, but what I'm saying is that I have a hard time believing that a superstar athlete would get so fixated about some online girlfriend in the first place. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's very hard to believe that a superstar athlete who could have his pick of real women would get so caught up in a girl he couldn't meet for a long period of time. I bet like 99.9% of athletes in his position would spend their time trying to develop relationships with the plethora of real women at their disposal.

Who had the most to gain from this fake girl dying a matter of hours after (or was it before?) his grandmother? Te'o clearly had the most to gain from the fake story.

billbradley

But what's normal for a Mormon athlete? Wouldn't an online relationship actually be more comfortable and appealing if you wanted to be celibate as a college star as there would be guaranteed more pressure meeting "normal" campus women?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    But what's normal for a Mormon athlete? Wouldn't an online relationship actually be more comfortable and appealing if you wanted to be celibate as a college star as there would be guaranteed more pressure meeting "normal" campus women?
    Maybe. Like I said, I'm not saying that it's impossible. Still, it's very very hard to believe to me. Also, don't forget that he allegedly did have a real girlfriend who was absolutely beautiful. If this Alexandra Del Pillar was in fact his real girlfriend, then clearly Te'o had the ability to lure in attractive women and was not afraid to do so.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...lVkCNn02bs81sO

All of the things which would have to be true for him to have genuinely been hoaxed for all of this time just seem so implausible to me. And Te'o is obviously the one who had the most to gain from the hoax (assuming no one ever found out about it, of course).

To come up with a hoax like that, that far in advance and do all the background stuff like tweets back and forth etc, to get sympathy in a Heisman race that you might never be in is like the Lex Luther of evil genius.

And also the friendship between Te'o and Lennay was 2yrs old before they became a "couple." I think being friends, and then falling "in-love" after you really get to know someone, or think you do, when you haven't met them is a lot more plausible than having an online dating relationship for 3yrs.

Phsyical interaction just isn't important for some people. Usually not high profile athletes.
    Last edited by Since86; 01-22-2013 at 10:40 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

billbradley

This is when I thought it was too complex for Te'o to be involved...

http://www.tmz.com/2013/01/17/manti-...to-girlfriend/

To come up with a hoax like that, that far in advance and do all the background stuff like tweets back and forth etc, to get sympathy in a Heisman race that you might never be in is like the Lex Luther of evil genius.
    That's the basically the same sort logic that Bill shot down down when he said:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    Both sides are going to use that sort of logic to prove their point. Those who believe Te'o was in on it are going to say that no one could possibly be dumb enough to be duped for that long. Those who believe that Te'o was hoaxed are going to say that Te'o would have to be unbelievably diabolical to come up with a scheme like that.

But there's a lot more examples of people being "that stupid" than there is of people manufacturing a three year relationship on flimsy details that have no way of standing up to scrutinization.

It's much more plausible that he's just that "stupid" rather than planning the whole thing.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

But there's a lot more examples of people being "that stupid" than there is of people manufacturing a three year relationship on flimsy details that have no way of standing up to scrutinization.

It's much more plausible that he's just that "stupid" rather than planning the whole thing.
    We already know that someone manufactured it. Why should Te'o manufacturing it be any more hard to believe than someone else manufacturing it, particularly when Te'o easily had the most to gain here? We already know that Te'o is at the very least guilty of lying about it to enhance his image.

We already know that someone manufactured it. Why should Te'o manufacturing it be any more hard to believe than someone else manufacturing it, particularly when Te'o easily had the most to gain here? We already know that Te'o is at the very least guilty of lying about it to enhance his image.
    Or because he was embarassed and did not want to admit he had been made to look a fool....

30. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Or because he was embarassed and did not want to admit he had been made to look a fool....
    Maybe. It's certainly possible. But I think those who want to believe Te'o at the very least have to admit that a lot of bizarre things would have to be true for Te'o to have honestly been duped for so long. I just don't think that people should shoot down the theory that Te'o was involved because if "implausibility" when the theory of him being duped is also pretty implausible. It's just an extremely strange story anyway you slice it.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Catfishing isn't some new phenomena that just started. It's been around awhile, and continue to be around, because people fall for it. I don't consider being duped implausible at all.

I'm also now leaning toward the "Te'o was being duped" theory, with the caveat that he found it an embarrassing relationship to explain, and so he very freely embellished a great many details. Embellishments that he continued to make even after he knew it was a hoax, thus making his behavior worthy of just criticism.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Catfishing isn't some new phenomena that just started. It's been around awhile, and continue to be around, because people fall for it. I don't consider being duped implausible at all.
    I don't consider initially being duped implausible, but I do feel that being duped for as long as he was falls into implausible territory.

1. Notre Dame played at Stanford on November 26, 2011. Did it occur to him to try to finally meet this girl at Stanford, the school which she attended? Did he try to meet with her that weekend?

2. Did it ever occur to him to look online for her obituary after she died? That's probably one of the first things most people would do if someone they cared about died. Wouldn't he be curious about this girl and what she did in her life? Obituaries are published for a reason - people want to read them when loved ones die. Most people would google her name and immediately get suspicious when no obituary came up.

3. Why make absolutely no effort to try and attend the funeral of this woman you allegedly love?

4. Why not try to visit her in the hospital after the car accident?

5. Are there phone records that will show that he was on the phone multiple nights to the same number?

6. The fake girlfriend allegedly dies the day after his grandmother. So are we supposed to believe that these alleged catfishers decided to kick it up a notch and move into viciously evil territory by playing on his emotions after losing his grandmother? That's far beyond normal "catfishing". Is it not natural to think that the fake girlfriend dying a day after the grandmother was awfully "convenient" for the emotional story the media ran with throughout the season? Everyone loses a grandparent at some point, but very few people lose a girlfriend the day after their grandmother. Te'o had the most to gain from the hoax.

7. Why talk about how cancer killed your girlfriend and grandmother on December 8 when you were allegedly told on December 6 that the girlfriend didn't exist? Clearly at that point, Te'o was completely full of crap. The question is how big of a liar is he? His excuse is that he "didn't want to believe it", or whatever he said in that Schapp interview. Every excuse of his is akin to "my dog ate it". Couldn't go to the funeral because of school, a family re-union prevented meeting her, etc etc etc.

8. Why fixate about an online girlfriend who you've never met when you are a superstar college athlete who could have your pick of real women? Clearly he had the ability to pick up a nice looking girl, as that one pic of his real life gf shows.

Those are eight big questions that immediately popped into my head. I find it almost implausible that all of them can be explained away by an honest answer. If he was really duped on every single one of those questions, then he really is a complete moron. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I do think it's very implausible.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-22-2013 at 02:47 PM.