Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Notre Dame Football Thread

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012 Notre Dame Football Thread

Manti is a liar. Pure and simple. There is no excuse for perpetuating a lie like this.

If I was an NFL team, I'd stay way away from him. At best, he's a dumb SOB that cannot handle real life. Just wait until those "family members" come out of the woodwork when he signs an NFL contract...I'm sure he'd be broke in a couple of years...at worst, he is a pathological liar which is a significant character issue.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone gives two flying ****s about this. I mean come on, LeBron's decision got less coverage. Bill Clinton took less heat than this and he got blowies in the Oval Office.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You guys are over the top. People fall for each other every single day over the internet without interactions. I can fully understand why someone would lie on whether or not they've personally met them, seeing all the reactions. Try explaining to people over and over about your "girlfriend" when people react to it the way you guys have.

I'm not saying it's right, but it's something that's fairly common.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

^ and+ it sometimes works out, like in Napoleon Dynamite.

Also, they've obtained the complete chat transcripts and it is very believable that he sincerely fell in love:

User Manti has entered the customer service chat line

Lenny: Good afternoon! How may I help you today, sir?

Manti: piza

Lenny: I’m not sure I understand. Could you provide some more details?

Manti: i want a pizza

Lenny: Sir, I’m afraid you are in the wrong place.

Manti: pizza with peperonii and cheese meat to south bend

Lenny: Sir, you cannot order a pizza online here.

Manti: piza pepperonni south bend please

Lenny: Sir, this is the HP online customer support chat line.

Manti: pizzahut HP

Lenny: Hewlett Packard. This is the Hewlett Packard helpdesk.

Manti: r u prettay lennay

Lenny: My name is Lenny. I am male.

Manti: what u wear lennay

Lenny: A polo shirt.

Manti: i lov u lennay

Lenny: Sir, can I ask you to please disconnect from this chat room. I cannot move on to help the next customer until you disconnect.

Manti: lennay u r prettay i lluv u

Lenny: I love you too. But I have cancer.

Manti: o no

Lenny: Oh God! A car is coming right at me! Slow down!!

Manti: stop car

Lenny: The car hit me and I died of cancer.

Manti: no

Lenny: I’m dead now. I have died.

Manti: no lennay

Lenny: I am dead. Goodbye forever.

Manti: no

Manti: pizza with cheese meat peperronii to south bend
    http://www.headingfortheexits.com/hf...-lennay-kekua/

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

There's not a shred of evidence that shows he was duped. There's no evidence yet that he was in on it either, but there are about 1000 legitimate questions that raise a massive amount of suspicion. He's going to have to do better than that ESPN interview. Some phone records would be nice for starters.

For him to have been duped, sooooooo many weird things would have to be true for him to have honestly fell for it for years. All of his reasons seem a bit too convenient, IMO. Him being in on it from the beginning is still the most plausible and simple explanation, IMHO.

NFL teams will grill him much harder than Schapp, that's for sure.

Let's assume he's in on it.... How does this all unravel if he's in on it? Did someone else figure this out or was it him unraveling it?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let's assume he's in on it.... How does this all unravel if he's in on it? Did someone else figure this out or was it him unraveling it?

Wasn't it deadspin doing great journalism by figuring out that there was no death certificate, record of attendance at Stanford, or news article about the severe auto accident?

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Wasn't it deadspin doing great journalism by figuring out that there was no death certificate, record of attendance at Stanford, or news article about the severe auto accident?
    I think I misunderstood your question, Bball. Did you mean how did it unravel before the deadspin story broke, i.e. Te'o going to Notre Dame and telling them what happened? Maybe deadspin asked someone close to Te'o about the girlfriend and that they couldn't find any record of her, and then that person went to Te'o? Then Te'o, understanding that the walls were beginning to close in, tried to get ahead of it by going to Notre Dame with the "I've been duped" story? That's my own conspiracy theory, but no theory is too bizarre for this story.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_797677.html

Ya and BTW the kid who allegedly did it is still on the active roster.

Pat Forde talked about it today on the DP show give a listen

5min mark
    You clearly know nothing about this case and shouldn't be talking about it.

Mood

ESPN is running a poll right now where about 52% of the respondents say this situation makes them think less of Manti now and the 48% say it doesn't change their opinion of him at all.

I'm surprised it's just 52%. I mean, I think less of him. I don't think he's a terrible person because I do think he was tricked for a while and then lied because he got embarrassed and played along to get media attention, but I think less of him because he's clearly not smart at all.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

billbradley

In ESPN Interview, Manti Te’o Admits To “Tailoring His Stories,” Says He Wasn’t Convinced Lennay Kekua Was Fake Until Wednesday [UPDATE]

http://deadspin.com/5977282/in-espn-...ntil-wednesday

Admitting that he deceived his parents and the press about the nature of his relationship with Lennay Kekua, but denying any involvement in the hoax, Manti Te'o spoke with ESPN's Jeremy Schaap Friday night for more than two hours in an off-camera interview. (Most of what little we know about the interview with Te'o comes from a surreal interview Schaap did with SportsCenter early Saturday morning. We'll update as more emerges.)

Amazingly, Te'o claimed he wasn't "fully convinced" that Lennay Kekua did not exist until Wednesday, after we published our report on the hoax. This goes against a good deal of what Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said in a press conference Wednesday night. (Te'o's agents at CAA, not Notre Dame, negotiated the interview with Schaap.) Swarbrick said he shared the findings from the university's investigation of the hoax with Te'o's parents more than two weeks ago, on Jan. 5. Had they really not told their son the news? And had Notre Dame told Te'o nothing? It was, after all, per Notre Dame's official account, a Dec. 26 tip from Te'o himself that prompted the school to investigate Kekua. According to Swarbrick, Te'o had received a call on Dec. 6 from a living woman who had previously identified herself as Kekua, who, you will recall, he believed to be dead.

Te'o also told Schaap—per the story available on ESPN.com—that a woman claiming to be Kekua turned up at the Notre Dame hotel before the BCS national championship game in Miami. Writes ESPN, "Te'o said he knew they were at the hotel because the group took photos in the hotel lobby."

We know this woman could not have been the woman Te'o saw in pictures that were purportedly of Lennay: That woman did not attend the game and, moreover, knew nothing about her photos being connected to Kekua's online identity. So who was this woman? Did Te'o believe her claim that she was Kekua, if she did make this claim to him? (The story isn't clear.) How did he remain unconvinced that his dead girlfriend never existed until Wednesday, if he had two separate moments of contact with her before Jan. 7? Why, if he was agnostic about her existence, did he still refer to her death multiple times in the press? Te'o did tell Schaap that he lied to his father, Brian, about the pair's visits in Hawaii, and that he "tailored his stories" to the press.

When asked if he was a part of the hoax, Te'o, who was interviewed with an attorney present at IMG Sports Academy in Bradenton, Fla., responded, "I wasn't faking it, I wasn't part of this." As for why Te'o never visited his dying girlfriend in the hospital, he told Schaap, "It never really crossed my mind."

Te'o also told Schaap that Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, the man we identified as being behind Lennay Kekua, apologized to him Wednesday via Twitter direct message. Te'o also said two others, a man and a woman, were Ronaiah's accomplices, but he didn't name them. Schaap said he saw the messages, but we're still not sure how such an apology would have worked. Tuiasosopo deleted his Twitter account weeks ago, and direct messages on Twitter require the recipient to follow the sender. We checked the list of Twitter users Te'o follows on Tuesday and didn't see any sign of Ronaiah. It's possible Ronaiah used a new account to send an @-reply Te'o's way to apologize, but tweets including Te'o's Twitter name were coming at such a rapid pace Wednesday it's inconceivable that Te'o could have picked out a single apology from all the other tweets. [Update: See the tweets at bottom, via ESPN.com.]

Te'o claimed he met Tuiasosopo in person for the first time after the Notre Dame-USC game on Nov. 24. (A tweet from Ronaiah's deleted account suggests that Te'o and Tuiasosopo met on the 23rd, but we haven't been able to recover the image associated with Tuiasosopo's tweet. The individual who provided this photo of Te'o with Ronaiah's sister told us it was taken the 23rd.)

As for what Te'o wants for Tuiasosopo, he told Schaap "I don't wish an ill thing to somebody. I just hope he learns. I think embarrassment is big enough." Manti Te'o's apparent defense is that he had no reason to think his twice-undead dead long-distance girlfriend, whom he never met or saw outside of photographs, whose funeral he never thought to attend, might have been a phony. Regardless of whether he's telling the truth, he'll soon see just how big embarrassment can get.

Update (2:34 a.m.): ESPN has removed all references to the woman claiming to be Lennay showing up at the team hotel from its online story. There is no explanation, note, or correction in their story.

Update (12:05 p.m.): Here are the tweets, via ESPN:

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

^lol @ tweets...dude sounds crazy.

plus, "I never meant to hurt anyone"??? how does that possibly work in this context?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Can anyone else see the obvious tell that those "tweets" are fake?

I think I misunderstood your question, Bball. Did you mean how did it unravel before the deadspin story broke, i.e. Te'o going to Notre Dame and telling them what happened? Maybe deadspin asked someone close to Te'o about the girlfriend and that they couldn't find any record of her, and then that person went to Te'o? Then Te'o, understanding that the walls were beginning to close in, tried to get ahead of it by going to Notre Dame with the "I've been duped" story? That's my own conspiracy theory, but no theory is too bizarre for this story.
    Yeah... That's what I was wondering. Did Te'o fess up about being hoaxed and reporters got wind and started digging or did reporters start digging first and then Te'o tried to get in front of it?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

One random question that I've had for a while now...

Manti Te'o is devoutly religious, isnt he? I mean, he takes his faith very very seriously.

If so, why would he not attend the funeral of the woman the he loved? I can probably speak for all of us that if our significant other had passed on (especially in a tragic fashion), I bet we would ALL be at the funeral for the sig other. It's just plain odd and strange that he wouldn't even go or make a 5 minute appearance.

Just a thought of mine.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Deleted post.
    Last edited by Stryder; 01-19-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    One random question that I've had for a while now...

Manti Te'o is devoutly religious, isnt he? I mean, he takes his faith very very seriously.

If so, why would he not attend the funeral of the woman the he loved? I can probably speak for all of us that if our significant other had passed on (especially in a tragic fashion), I bet we would ALL be at the funeral for the sig other. It's just plain odd and strange that he wouldn't even go or make a 5 minute appearance.

Just a thought of mine.
    Also, he says that he wasn't "fully convinced" it was a hoax until Wednesday, yet are we really supposed to believe that someone in his position wouldn't try to google the obituary? Most people make an effort to read the obituary when a loved one dies. In this day and age, people often leave online comments expressing condolences. It seems to me that any rational person in his situation would try to search for the obituary and then get suspicious when they failed to find anything. That's yet another detail that will be hard for him to explain, unless of course he was in on it from day one. Then it all makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Yeah... That's what I was wondering. Did Te'o fess up about being hoaxed and reporters got wind and started digging or did reporters start digging first and then Te'o tried to get in front of it?
    That's an important question. Does anyone know if deadspin has addressed what made them start digging?

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    What's the obvious tell?

I dont believe Manti Te'o is that dumb to have gotten hoaxed like this. It just doesn't add up. 3 years of knowing Lennay. Lying about how they met, her visiting. Never visiting her after the car accident of the leukemia diagnosis, even though she was the "love of his life". Repeatedly telling people different days that she passed away. If he wasn't in on it, he is the dumbest man alive. I actually don't know which looks worse.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

Deleted post.

Nerd.
    Mood

What's the obvious tell?
    See my post above in post 342. Would that be it? Could someone else try it out and let me know what you see?
    Last edited by Stryder; 01-19-2013 at 03:26 PM.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:

Banned

Yeah at this point I don't believe that you guys are even real, how do I know I'm not getting hosed by the same person on this forum? are all my haters just one person after all? are Cdash, Nuntius, Xbulletproof and Since86 the same person playing some sick joke on me? .......
    Last edited by vnzla81; 01-19-2013 at 03:35 PM.

What's the obvious tell?
    There is a 140 character limit on direct messages. One of those is way longer than 140.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post: